Shadow Tank BiS 186

IInox

I'm not sure what the exact stat budget is for full 186 gear, but it's probably somewhere around 2900. The Ideal Tank Stats post does include data for that stat budget, which should be sufficient to declare "BiS" for now. Once we have data on damage distributions for NiM DP, the stat distributions will be refined somewhat, but they shouldn't change very much.

Do you need a BiS Build for each boss of DP and DF NiM?

It doesn't hurt, but to be honest the steady-state DPS isn't actually all that bad and it's burst damage you have to worry about. The raid-wide damage on this tier is a much bigger problem than tank damage, and a little stat juggling doesn't make a substantial difference in that regard. There's no real downside to being able to adjust your Defense/Shield/Absorb ratings, of course, but the upside isn't that noteworthy either.

It's much more important to make sure that you're comfortable playing hybrid, because there are numerous fights where it's substantially superior to full-tree (Nefra, Brontes, Bestia, Tyrans at minimum, arguable for some other fights as well). Most of the fights with the highest DTPS on the tanks and the worst burst damage are very hybrid-friendly, and the spec change makes a much bigger difference than swapping stats around by a few hundred points.

Nefra's damage is almost exclusively single target. The only AoE in the fight is the dot, oddly. So hybrid is a good deal worse for that boss than full darkness. As for bestia, hybrid is very good for mitigating monster damage, but unless you're the two-monster tank, that's not the hardest part of the fight. Losing out on the snap threat from Wither and the substantially higher DPS is a significant hit if you're the one-monster tank.

Agreed on the rest though. Also add Raptus. Tyrans is a weird case, because you actually take higher steady state damage from him due to the weaker passives in hybrid, but his big burst attack is so much less threatening that the tradeoff is worth it. Sucks though, because I hate playing hybrid. :-S

I really wish Bioware would move AoE redux into the tank tree and configure it such that you have to choose between AoE redux and better overall redux. That would probably be difficult to do within the confines of swtor's skill trees, but it would still be very nice. I just hate having to hybridize in order to *improve* my mitigation.

I really wish Bioware would move AoE redux into the tank tree and configure it such that you have to choose between AoE redux and better overall redux. That would probably be difficult to do within the confines of swtor's skill trees, but it would still be very nice. I just hate having to hybridize in order to *improve* my mitigation.

What they can and should do is just tie it to stance, or move much higher up the tree. Hybrid is horrible to play, but necessary sometimes :(

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit confused as your builds are a bit PVP-ish yet you are making a topic about BIS 186. In addition, I was never a big fan of builds where upheaval was discarded. This is what I personally use:

1. DF 8M NIM 4/5

2. DF 4/5 16M NiM :

3. Brontes NiM both 8M and 16M / Bestia 8M NiM / 16M NiM as well as Tyrans NiM . 7K shadow strikes with resolve stim on the droids is something you should not ignore.

To summarize my builds vary only when it comes to applied force and celerity. I do not take shadow's respite unless I run a proper hybrid. I take all the points in upheaval because 1 point is a waste in this skill. If you build with shadows respite and you are going full Kinetic, I am sorry but I do not agree with this. The 6 seconds in stealth before the pull to regenerate force are useless because proper management of the rotation does not starve you of force.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

I'm currently playing a Sith Assassin Tank as my main, and it's practically full 186 (Dread Master) gear. The only thing that I am currently missing is a hilt for my main-hand.

With that said, I am using the Dread Master Relics of Fortunate Redoubt and Reactive Warding.

My current stat budget is as follows:

Defense Chance: 447

Shield Chance: 1084

Shield Absorption: 1386

Total Stat Budget: 2917

This includes the extra defense from the Prototype Nano-Infused Fortitude Stim.

As far as the tanking builds and sets go, I do tend to change augments from time to time, in the gear, to adjust to different fights in the operations, same for the tanking build. However, for Dread Palace (Nightmare Mode), I did the entire instance (including Dread Council) in the "famed" Hybrid Tank Spec.

I hope this helps.

Edited by DJNume

Have a look here for more information on the Reactive Warding relic. Eventhough KBN says 1850, I keep it on my shadow for any boss where my dTPS is up to 1900. My recommendation to you is to have a look at the DP 8M NiM thread and contact the tanks who have successfully cleared this. Their input will prove very valuable to you as those outside of that niche can only tell you 'paper based' values. When it comes to DF, I can support my claims with over 300 hours in there and having it on farm pre and post nerf. Regarding DP, sadly, my group can't raid anymore as we lack the numbers.

Goodluck.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

Decided to go through my Combat Logs and hunt down my Damage Taken Per Second, for this week, for all the fights from Dread Palace Nightmare (for the pulls that we got the kill). It is as follows:

Dread Master Bestia: 1474.69 DTPS

Dread Master Tyrans: 1530.92 DTPS

Dread Master Calphayus: 951.11 DTPS

Dread Master Raptus: 904.57 DTPS

Dread Council: 1651.18 DTPS

Additional Information:

The entire instance / operation was tanked in Hybrid Spec.

During Bestia, I always tank mutliple Dread Monsters. For Calphayus, I always go Past and then Future.

Character Build

Sadly, I was unable to get the combat logs from our Powertech Tank, for comparison.

Edited by DJNume

3. Brontes NiM both 8M and 16M / Bestia 8M NiM / 16M NiM as well as Tyrans NiM . 7K shadow strikes with resolve stim on the droids is something you should not ignore.

Is there a reason why you are not using a build like this for brontes? I havent done her yet so its just a sincere question.

Basically you swap an unused armor rating for an unused stance. No gain or loss there.

The overall extra damage might be meh but exchanging 30% surge bonus for celerity doesn't seem that bad. Or is celerity really that handy for the brontes fight?

Is there a reason why you are not using a build like this for brontes? I havent done her yet so its just a sincere question.

Basically you swap an unused armor rating for an unused stance. No gain or loss there.

The overall extra damage might be meh but exchanging 30% surge bonus for celerity doesn't seem that bad. Or is celerity really that handy for the brontes fight?

I like my force speed for kephess that is why I opt for celerity. I like to get to him and back to brontes as fast as possible. Sometimes the short cooldown helps even when taking care of balls.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

Decided to go through my Combat Logs and hunt down my Damage Taken Per Second, for this week, for all the fights from Dread Palace Nightmare (for the pulls that we got the kill). It is as follows:

Dread Master Bestia: 1474.69 DTPS

Dread Master Tyrans: 1530.92 DTPS

Dread Master Calphayus: 951.11 DTPS

Dread Master Raptus: 904.57 DTPS

Dread Council: 1651.18 DTPS

Additional Information:

The entire instance / operation was tanked in Hybrid Spec.

During Bestia, I always tank mutliple Dread Monsters. For Calphayus, I always go Past and then Future.

Character Build

Sadly, I was unable to get the combat logs from our Powertech Tank, for comparison.

Thanks for posting this. I assume there is a mistake on the site as you do not have the 4 piece set bonus.

Thanks for posting this. I assume there is a mistake on the site as you do not have the 4 piece set bonus.

Thank you for pointing that out. It seems if you put the armourings in a different shell on the website it doesn't carry the set-bonus. However, I have fixed it now.

someone told me that the 180 BiS stats (and maybe 186) of kbn are wrong and high discussed by high end tanks..

I got this link:

http://suckafish.enjin.com/forum/page/1/m/2482819/viewthread/7721704-tanking-darkness-pve-guide-to-assassins

so bis 180 would be:

Shield Chance

Target: 940

Absorption

Target: 1193

Defence Chance

Target: 462

what do u think about?

Edited by IInox