which Healer?

Blays

Better question is which classes cannot heal :)

Healing Classes:

Bounty Hunter (Mercenary)

Smuggler (Scoundrel)

Trooper (Commando)

Sith Inquisitor (Sorcerer)

Imperial Agent (Operative)

Jedi Consular (Sage)

I have played BH, Smuggler, Consular as healers and they all do well...each is slightly different in the mechanic which makes it interesting to play each...I like my BH (Mercenary)...I find it easier to maintain my heat (or actually lack of heat) better when I am in full heal mode...add any DPS into the mix and you can get into trouble quickly...the Consular (Sage) I have is only low 20s so I'm not sure how it is higher up...my least favorite is the Smuggler (Scoundrel)...just doesn't fit very well with the taking cover mechanic in my opinion but the storyline is great :)

Hope this helps you a bit...

Cheers....

Riggler gave some good advice there.

Picking up on his last point - if you're playing a Scoundrel/Operative healer...no, you shouldn't be using the cover mechanic. It's well known that Scoundrel/Op is supposed to be the AC that doesn't use cover - it's for people who want to play a Smuggler/IA but don't like cover. That's sort of the point.

A Scoundrel/Operative healer will be doing a lot of work in melee or close range. Your attacks are close range. And your healing depends on using the Upper Hand/Tactical Advantage buff...one reliable way to get it is to use your melee attack on enemies. It is possible to hang back and heal from behind cover, but this is very inefficient.

Each of the three healing styles in this game is very different, so you'll have to see what works best for you.

As noted above, Commandos/Mercs and Sages/Sorcs can work from 30 metres out, a Scoundrel/Op will work from 4-10 m.

Commando/Merc uses an ammo/heat mechanic. Use of your basic free attack (it becomes a heal on allies) builds a unique buff on you. Once it reaches 30 stacks, you can burn this buff for a super-healing mode. And then start building again when it expires.

Scoundrel/Op healing is based on the constant proc and consumption of its buff, which only builds up to 2 stacks max - hence the constant need to proc and use it. People often say that Scoundrel/Op is the Heal over Time class, but really this isn't precisely true - HoT is an important part of your arsenal, but not the lion's share of it.

Sage/Sorc healing uses a mana bar. 'nuff said. You get a big fat bar of points, it goes down as you heal, it regens at a fixed rate. Simple. You do get some tricks later on to give you free Force back and so on, but the resource juggling isn't as core to the playstyle as the other two.

Personally I think Sage/Sorc is the easiest and less stressful healer to play - but the other two can be really rewarding, and have a lot of advantages and their own nice toys.

Edited by Acyl

Hey Blays!

As you can see, while Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ offers a variety in healing classes to choose from, the playstyles of each Advanced Class is diverse. We have a great deal of wonderful resources throughout the forums, many which are stickied. Over in the Healing forum, Proctor made a nice thread, Healer niches, that has a great overview of the different choices for healing.

Hope that helps!

Thanks to everyone for making awesome responses to this thread :)

• 2 weeks later...