Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Because people are *********** idiots, it's that base.

Look, if people go to the server, that means there'll be people there, right? Instead, people just want to go to the US server instead of sticking together as a community. No wonder APAC is falling apart, majority are just whiners who won't do anything to fix the problem and would rather bail. Pathetic.

You're obviously not on master dar'nala.

You're also kidding yourself if you think f2p is gonna bring a whole **** load of people in that are gonna stick it out till end game.

Forget pvp during the day time, it doesn't happen, and if it does, it's an hour between Q's.

At night time, it's okay, 10 mins maybe in between Q's, sometimes worse and sometimes better, why would I degrade someones playing experience by saying yeah lol MDN is a good server, stick around? I'm not gonna go out of my way to ward people off, but I sure as **** would not endorse it to anyone.

Sorry but, I tried to stick it out on MDN as long as possible, through the frustrations, and half of my guild unsubbing due to ****** Q times.

I'll gladly come back to oceanic servers once a merge happens, until then not gonna pay to wait in Q.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about for the week f2p launches, everyone come and play their APAC characters to push the populations up while f2p players are choosing. Then we get a higher influx of people.

Its annoying to see people saying f2p isn't going to help and then go out of their way to make sure it doesn't help, just to be right. Warning people off the servers means f2pers will go on US servers. How likely are they going to transfer ( with no transfer system currently active) and why would they, if we let them make a legacy and friends on US servers. That makes them less inclined to move to APAC in the event of a consolidation.

f2p is a gamble we know is coming. We can do something to help it. We can promote APAC and make the best of the situation.

Let's not try and sabortage that chance in the hope that we can force Bioware into doing something that we think is right.

Its trading one gameble for another.

How about for the week f2p launches, everyone come and play their APAC characters to push the populations up while f2p players are choosing. Then we get a higher influx of people.

Its annoying to see people saying f2p isn't going to help and then go out of their way to make sure it doesn't help, just to be right. Warning people off the servers means f2pers will go on US servers. How likely are they going to transfer ( with no transfer system currently active) and why would they, if we let them make a legacy and friends on US servers. That makes them less inclined to move to APAC in the event of a consolidation.

f2p is a gamble we know is coming. We can do something to help it. We can promote APAC and make the best of the situation.

Let's not try and sabortage that chance in the hope that we can force Bioware into doing something that we think is right.

Its trading one gameble for another.

Oh yeah, cool, let's pay another 15 bucks for another month to sit in Q and wait for these f2p players to get 50, most of them RQ'ing before then, the other half not paying a cent to get any kind of good items for them to get destroyed in recruit gear as soon as they hit 50, so that half RQ's too.

Great idea, does it come in mens at all?

Oh yeah, cool, let's pay another 15 bucks for another month to sit in Q and wait for these f2p players to get 50, most of them RQ'ing before then, the other half not paying a cent to get any kind of good items for them to get destroyed in recruit gear as soon as they hit 50, so that half RQ's too.

Great idea, does it come in mens at all?

Roll an alt. The game is designed for it. The volume of other low levels characters leveling at the same time is going to be good for you. If that 15 bucks hurts so much then play for free till others get to 50.

Also, if others did follow the plan then the waits wouldn't be so long.

I don't understand how you're trying to make me seem juvenile by whining at me.

I know we are all a bit pissed due to the current situation but lets try and remain civil and not turn on each other - the point of this thread is to let BW know that we aren't happy and that something needs to be done. Of course there are going to be thoughts on what people think should be done and people are going to disagree but there is no need (nor any point) in yelling and namecalling. With that said...

I know this is long and most people will scroll past it but try hear me out.

I would ask people not to turn potential ftp players away from the APAC servers. As we have all hypothesised it probably wont result in huge rises in level 50 players however it will have an effect. I personally hope that it will at least serve to replace the players that have/are going to re-roll on US servers. If this happens, the populations will still be low but at least salvageable in BW's eyes and worth saving by merging the servers.

My fear is that if we turn people away from our servers, the problem will get worse as people continue to leave, re-roll or transfer (btw we are in big trouble if transfers are allowed). In a few months after the ftp surge dissipates when BW decide to look at the populations, they may very well decide that the small population that's left is not worth the effort then close the servers and force us onto US servers. So effectively we miss out on low latency and relevant server times.

Also it should be noted that ftp players have significant restrictions when it comes to warzones anyway so rolling on US servers will probably be of minimal benefit and they will have to deal worth high latency which degrades the experience.

Right now the state of APAC is in a delicate place. We are heading towards not being worth it for BW and if people continue to re-roll/leave/transfer it will only worsen the situation. On the other hand, if we can at least maintain the population levels with a tiny bit of help of ftp, we can convince them that we are worth the effort.

As an aside, I have personally tee'd up a group of mates and we are all excited to play when ftp is available (great timing as exams are just finishing) :D

What I dont think you understand is that Bioware will not just simply out of the blue one day come out and say "All three servers are going to be stopped. Back to US you go". That just simply will not happen.

I'm sorry but i really don't understand why you don't believe this is a potential outcome. These are some reasons that i think BW would have for closing the APAC servers if the population is too low:

• The population is low. Yes we will lose some players but then again a lot will cop the transfer and deal with it

• We are practically the only company trying to make APAC servers work; plenty of other APAC players play other games such as wow on US servers quite happily therefore many APAC players are used to and will deal with higher latency

• Running 3 overseas servers requires a heap of resources and thus money. No servers = no costs (this also relates to the first point; eliminating costs with a fairly minimal effect on profits is very appealing)

• Some APAC players are re-rolling or begging to be transferred to US servers. If it saves us money anyway, why aren't we doing it?

I'm not a "doomsdayer"; I'm just logically theorising what they would be thinking with the point being we need to try convince them that we are worth the effort and that merging the servers will have a greater overall positive effect than closing them

Edited by laz_AU

this why mmos company normally don't add oceanic servers cause to them its not worth the cost this is just my opinion though

I think the only reason we got lucky with having our own servers is because EA already had servers here, I could be wrong though.

I just want to put it out there, that unless there's a unified view on what steps should be taken to rectify the problem, we're not going to have a good outcome.

Given the infighting seen of late as to the various options, I'd like to suggest we take the decision away from the community and accept a forced server merger, with options to transfer after the fact.

It's pretty clear that if free or paid transfers were offered we'd be in a similar position due to the differences in opinion around ping times, PvP/PvE/RP server types, hell even what server to migrate to. The only path forward I can see that will work for the community as a whole is to force the merger upon us, then if you don't like it, transfer off to a US/EU server at your discretion.

I just want to put it out there, that unless there's a unified view on what steps should be taken to rectify the problem, we're not going to have a good outcome.

Given the infighting seen of late as to the various options, I'd like to suggest we take the decision away from the community and accept a forced server merger, with options to transfer after the fact.

It's pretty clear that if free or paid transfers were offered we'd be in a similar position due to the differences in opinion around ping times, PvP/PvE/RP server types, hell even what server to migrate to. The only path forward I can see that will work for the community as a whole is to force the merger upon us, then if you don't like it, transfer off to a US/EU server at your discretion.

Really that's what should've happen 2 months ago.

For those that have already gone to The Bastion, over the past week I have seen heaps of people returning to the game that have been unsubbed. Last night we had almost 90 people on the fleet, and my guild had 42 online. There were also 3 WZs running and several guilds doing RWZs.

I'd recommend coming back to the Oceanic servers for the next week or so and see how things play out.

Edited by Chaori

There's heaps happening on Gav Daragon as well, World PvP will be happening on Friday nights from now on, with ranked teams queueing from Ilum to give those that miss pops something to do whilst waiting in queue. Should be fun :)

You honestly think that?

There is still at least 70 per faction online on MDN of a night. With obviously Dalborra and Gav being higher, do you really think they would just shut down ALL three of the APAC servers, and ship those 400+ people back to US, when a single server would be a much better solution.

Yes. That's only $2100 worth of subscriptions, if everyone is paying monthly, less if they have longer term subscriptions. I can assure you it cost more to run a server than that. It's likely a cluster of servers, the server cost itself broken down over 3 years with premium support is possibly more than that. Not to mention the high speed internet connection and network equipment, power usage.

I know there are more people subbing than online at any one time, I'm just saying, those numbers aren't that impressive.

And about whether or not so encourage people to play on APAC, I couldn't encourage them without warning them that they may get shafted by playing there. I couldn't try to trick people into playing there for my benefit. I don't believe APAC players get the service level we deserve as paying customers, how could I recommend that?

I would have trouble recommending this game at all actually. Not because I don't like it, but because with this management I can't see it lasting long, possibly intentional.

Yes. That's only $2100 worth of subscriptions, if everyone is paying monthly, less if they have longer term subscriptions. I can assure you it cost more to run a server than that. It's likely a cluster of servers, the server cost itself broken down over 3 years with premium support is possibly more than that. Not to mention the high speed internet connection and network equipment, power usage.

I know there are more people subbing than online at any one time, I'm just saying, those numbers aren't that impressive.

And about whether or not so encourage people to play on APAC, I couldn't encourage them without warning them that they may get shafted by playing there. I couldn't try to trick people into playing there for my benefit. I don't believe APAC players get the service level we deserve as paying customers, how could I recommend that?

I would have trouble recommending this game at all actually. Not because I don't like it, but because with this management I can't see it lasting long, possibly intentional.

Great post mate!!! Had to reply to this!

The only thing I dont agree on is the last sentence... but then again stranger things have happened.

You really got me thinking now about the cost benefit of keeping all three APAC servers open, surely from a business point of view 1 server makes a lot more sense... but then again I have no experience in this area so I wouldnt have a clue but the above poster makes alot of sense to someone like me.

I also 100% agree in the following...

Now a lot of people have actually sent me private messages or whispered me in game about my negativity about our servers... I'm sorry but I only want the best outcome for all us APAC people and having three servers open with minimal population just doesnt cut it sorry... Now I know a lot of you will disagree with me here but look at it this way...

On well populated servers you get instant WZ pops, ranked are always running. You que for a FP for 5-30 minutes max as DPS, instantly for tank and heals. There is world PVP even on POPULATED PVE servers (i have got into quite a few scuffles on a US PVE server as a level 30)and this usually does not need to be organised through forum posts etc, with the exception of world pvp events. People are always pugging Operations too!***edit forgot to mention they also have thriving GTNs!***

We may get the above with ONE UNITED APAC server however even with F2P, i just cant ever seeing the above in green happening on the APAC servers in their current state, sorry to say this but i'm just saying how it is.

Edited by Cheezfriend

I couldn't agree more chippy, there is absolutely no negative in these posts either.

It really is nothing but truth tbh. Truth may hurt, but it still doesn't take the fact that chippy, or any other contributer to this thread are trying to get awareness into this situation so that we may experience what EVERY other servers experience.

On well populated servers you get instant WZ pops, ranked are always running. You que for a FP for 5-30 minutes max as DPS, instantly for tank and heals. There is world PVP even on POPULATED PVE servers (i have got into quite a few scuffles on a US PVE server as a level 30)and this usually does not need to be organised through forum posts etc, with the exception of world pvp events. People are always pugging Operations too!***edit forgot to mention they also have thriving GTNs!***

We may get the above with ONE UNITED APAC server however even with F2P, i just cant ever seeing the above in green happening on the APAC servers in their current state, sorry to say this but i'm just saying how it is.

Yes and you get abused for being in-character as an RPer. I've rolled an alt on Dalborra, it was not a pleasant experience.

Of course it wouldn't be an issue with cross server queues which is still my preferred solution. If not that, transfers to servers of choice (US RP), but NOT a server merge.

Yes and you get abused for being in-character as an RPer. I've rolled an alt on Dalborra, it was not a pleasant experience.

Of course it wouldn't be an issue with cross server queues which is still my preferred solution. If not that, transfers to servers of choice (US RP), but NOT a server merge.

You think Xferring to US servers will magically make everything better? There will always be people who don't like who you are or what you do in-game. On Master D you would not get this same treatment. If you put all 3 servers together I highly doubt people will be complaining about RPers.

You think Xferring to US servers will magically make everything better? There will always be people who don't like who you are or what you do in-game. On Master D you would not get this same treatment. If you put all 3 servers together I highly doubt people will be complaining about RPers.

Erm, yes because I would roll on a US RP server... :rolleyes:

Returning player... where have most of the Oceanic people re-rolled to? The Bastion? Or The Harbinger?

I'm looking for more players from my time zone (GMT +8) but playing on the APAC servers gives so much worse ping than connecting to a West Coast server that it's not a viable option.(450ms APAC, 220ms West)

Returning player... where have most of the Oceanic people re-rolled to? The Bastion? Or The Harbinger?

I'm looking for more players from my time zone (GMT +8) but playing on the APAC servers gives so much worse ping than connecting to a West Coast server that it's not a viable option.(450ms APAC, 220ms West)

I'm guessing you are serious, but your post could be considered trolling :p