Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

No, this games gives you free cartel coins monthly with your sub. Also, you can buy cartel items on the GTN, so it's essentially the same as selling gold for gems. The exchange rate for gold to gems is not good. My girlfriend plays GW2 and I can tell you she is always buying gems.

Here's another game. Aion.

Ok so what are they giving me for my initial purchase?

The coins are because I pay them $15 a month and Im a loyal customer, not to be spend on core items of any basic MMO

And its not the same since someone still had to buy those things off the CM whereas in GW2 you dont so all gems in-game could be purchasable with in-game effort

Also Aion is full F2P if Im understanding it correctly

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, this games gives you free cartel coins monthly with your sub. Also, you can buy cartel items on the GTN, so it's essentially the same as selling gold for gems. The exchange rate for gold to gems is not good. My girlfriend plays GW2 and I can tell you she is always buying gems.

Here's another game. Aion.

That free coins thing is BS in this case and already been destroyed earlier in the thread. That was so 3 or 4 hours ago.

And this game's CM on GTN is NOT even close to equal GW2's Gem/Gold exchange. Apples and oranges. Or more like garbage vs steak how far apart they are.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

Ok so what are they giving me for my initial purchase?

The coins are because I pay them $15 a month and Im a loyal customer, not to be spend on core items of any basic MMO

And its not the same since someone still had to buy those things off the CM whereas in GW2 you dont so all gems in-game could be purchasable with in-game effort

Also Aion is full F2P if Im understanding it correctly

So now you're moving the goal posts. Is this about which games charge and which don't or is it a discussion of what you get for your sub fee?

That free coins thing is BS in this case and already been destroyed earlier in the thread. That was so 3 or 4 hours ago.

Destroyed. Get a grip dude, you're not fighting some mighty battle.

Edited by DaRoamer

So now you're moving the goal posts. Is this about which games charge and which don't or is it a discussion of what you get for your sub fee?

You're the one that brought up the "you get coins with sub" so what do you expect as a reply?

Oh but btw, DCUO, STO and CO (and CoX before it died) give you coins for your sub too. AND has barber shops that use in-game currency only (except for paying for unlocks are real world money).

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

You're the one that brought up the "you get coins with sub" so what do you expect as a reply?

Oh but btw, DCUO, STO and CO give you coins for your sub too. AND has barber shops that use in-game currency only (except for paying for unlocks are real world money).

So you're claiming you don't get coins with your sub?

Its about games that offer a sub but are also F2P (games like TOR, DCUO, STO etc)

So of those types of games (the direct competitors of TOR), which charge for barbershops?

Its about games that offer a sub but are also F2P (games like TOR, DCUO, STO etc)

So of those types of games (the direct competitors of TOR), which charge for barbershops?

Does STO have fully voiced and animated cutscenes for nearly every quest in the game?

Edited by DaRoamer

Did I say that? No.

I said that other games that give coins with subs that call themselves F2P just like this one, have barber shops that charge in-game currencies to use. Only real world money cost comes in the forms of additional unlocks for the barber shop which you can use your stipend on if you so choose. Eric put it that TOR will be real world money only.

We do but the point here is that TOR is trying to get the best of both worlds

Theyre grabbing something to smooth the creases and appease the subs (stipend coins) under the guise of "Its because youre such loyal customers"

Then they use the excuse of that stipend to charge for things that other MMO's offer for free

Does STO have fully voiced and animated cutscenes for nearly every quest in the game?

Did EA make more than a million sales? Which basicly made their initial investment? And have they not made a giant profit with their Cartel Market?

Couple of points:

That yellow post must not know what game he's working on.. there are those crystals and space mission gear you can purchase.

The cartel coins for barbers and cats doesn't have to be that bad.. if they copy EXACTLY how tsw does it. I think that system is brilliant, and over there too there are subs who feel they should get all content for free and no coin reward every month. What makes it work is..

- Everytime there is content subs should be getting for free, they let people know in advance when its coming.

- For subs, they cap the price of the item to somewhere under the monthly bonus (in this case it would be 500 coins)

- Both the barbershop and plastic surgeon in TSW can be used for in game currency (though it is mildly expensive, for new players, not at all by the time you've reached mid game).

- This is awesome. Why? Because people can choose what to spend their free stuff on. Personally, i've seen what the cat people look like and have 0 intention of rolling one. As a sub, id prefer to have the points instead, and also have the knowledge that all the people who did want to roll one are looked after as well.

Bioware can go "ok, next month we're releasing cats, and if you want them, dont spend your points." If you see a gambling pack and decide to buy that instead when your points roll around thats your choice/problem. Bioware get to monetize those ugly lookin cats to f2p players also.

Of course.... Bioware would actually have to implement it like this.. In all honestly i don't expect them to get it that right :) There has been zero items in the store that have been no brainer purchases in my head.. there's always some sense of 'really', 'im getting shafted', 'no way in hell', 'thats not worth it' when i look at the store items. I'll be surprised if they suddenly changed course.

Actually, today by their announcement, let's look at what will be released in the next couple of months with both games. (I am not convinced they will deliver all but going by what they say until proven otherwise). Because the voice work of the past is already paid for and over.

TOR = Planet with no class stories and 5 levels. Voice work.

STO = finally finishing their half a faction aka KDF and bringing in a full 1-50 third faction. With some voice work and at least Denise Crosby reprising her role as Sela from TNG officially announced.

So by comparison of the announcements, the next few months they will have more content released than TOR.

We do but the point here is that TOR is trying to get the best of both worlds

Theyre grabbing something to smooth the creases and appease the subs (stipend coins) under the guise of "Its because youre such loyal customers"

Then they use the excuse of that stipend to charge for things that other MMO's offer for free

And? Your point is that other games have slightly different business models? Why I never!

Until those games have all the same features that SWTOR does then they are lacking in areas that SWTOR excels at. This is why there is choice in the world, it allows people to weigh the pros and cons of different products and decide which is right for them.

Edited by DaRoamer

And? Your point is that other games have a slightly different business models? Why I never!

Until those games have all the same features that SWTOR does then they are lacking in areas that SWTOR excels at. This is why there is choice in the world, it allows people to weight the pros and cons of different products and decide which is right for them.

Slightly different business models? No, they have the same model which is sub+F2P+microtransactions

Their execution of it is however different and thats the major complaint here

And its my choice to fight the current state as it is, I weigh my pros and cons and share them

Actually, today by their announcement, let's look at what will be released in the next couple of months with both games. (I am not convinced they will deliver all but going by what they say until proven otherwise). Because the voice work of the past is already paid for and over.

STO = finally finishing their half a faction aka KDF and bringing in a full 1-50 third faction. With some voice work and at least Denise Crosby reprising her role as Sela from TNG officially announced.

So by comparison of the announcements, the next few months they will have more content released than TOR.

To add, STO is doing it for free and the new species is free for all, ;)

Slightly different business models? No, they have the same model which is sub+F2P+microtransactions

Their execution of it is however different and thats the major complaint here

And its my choice to fight the current state as it is, I weigh my pros and cons and share them

Can you buy items on the shop and sell them on the marketplace in those games?

That is precisely my argument. Both games are different and offer different features. Thank you for understanding.

The core however isnt the same! Im not comparing some dodgy Korean MS or RO rip-off.

We're comparing major western MMO's with a AAA budget that fight for the same target audience

I've never played STO, so I've got a few questions to ask to get a better understanding.

So a faction comes with its own unique quest chains then in STO?(this seems implied that its not simply a label)

How does the base game to max level compare?

Is there voice work comparable to TOR's in scope?

How many years did it take them to make this?(sounds long promised)

Is it really reasonable to measure the content release on the scale of a few months for STO?(in other words, is it possible for them to regularly deliver that every few months)

That is precisely my argument. Both games are different and offer different features. Thank you for understanding.

No, your argument is that because the games do not have exactly the same content that they are not comparable. The point that was being made was that they are extremely similar in most regards and do not need to have exactly the same content to be comparable.

To add, STO is doing it for free and the new species is free for all, ;)

True. I forgot to put that. TOR is adding one species, cats which already exist there but okay. STO is adding at least 2 we know of Romulans and Remans. And people are guessing at least one more but it's unofficial outside of the two.

No, your argument is that because the games do not have exactly the same content that they are not comparable. The point that was being made was that they are extremely similar in most regards and do not need to have exactly the same content to be comparable.

What's similar about STO and TOR? I've been under the impression that in STO, space is where its at, and TOR, its all about the ground game.

What's similar about STO and TOR? I've been under the impression that in STO, space is where its at, and TOR, its all about the ground game.

Mcdonalds sells hamburgers and Pizza Hut sells pizzas. You can still compare their choices in management and success.