I've kept my promise

fifteendollers

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lololol and funny how a very minor animation not impacting gameplay gets a possible fix but game crashing, video not working, and outfit preview bug from 2014, etc impacting a majority of players (and resubbing) is not tripping any bw comments or concerns....... for a priority to at least promise a fix.

The existence of a bug does not guarantee a patch is possible.

The existence of a bug does not guarantee a patch is possible.

lol again, lets get a Known Bug list out there like we had a few builds back. A list of issues not related to the pc but the game code being researched and put on a list for a bug fix mitigation (even if eventually).

This brief known bug list is not cumulative and you have to search all over. Many bugs not listed like SH Bleeding, no outfit designer bug etc etc

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/INFO-Known-Information-and-Current-Alerts-06-Jul-17/m-p/4886775#U4886775

If we had an all inclusive known bug list then we can see the 100 or so bugs, then we might be able to collectively help BW prioritize what are unsubbing level bugs vs cosmetic or trivial. We collectively don't want the trivial easy bug fix persuit to make BW think they are on top of the important bugs and then they staff down to that. They can say oh we fixed 1 bug this week and did 1 player requests to EA but in fact 100 plus old bugs are still out there. There are numerous and long time bugs getting zero attention, not even accepting it's a bug. So many of us are reinstalling drivers, checking ini files and searching forums because it impacts game play and crashes or prevents missions or group missions-- we are not getting the value out of the subscription.

Edited by IntegrationArch

• Dev Post
Lololol and funny how a very minor animation not impacting gameplay gets a possible fix but game crashing, video not working, and outfit preview bug from 2014, etc impacting a majority of players (and resubbing) is not tripping any bw comments or concerns....... for a priority to at least promise a fix.
if you are referring to the Microsoft Windows 10 crashes, that was fixed by Microsoft and if you update to the latest windows patch (KB4025342-OS Build 15063.483), that should resolve the issues. With respect to Preview bugs, we know and have made a variety of changes to it, but it still needs a lot of work, and like the animation request, it's also not game breaking, so it hasn't made it to a priority list either.

On the animation question, he had asked if we would investigate it and I said we would, so I thought it was reasonable to respond to his inquiry.

Keith---

if you are referring to the Microsoft Windows 10 crashes, that was fixed by Microsoft and if you update to the latest windows patch (KB4025342-OS Build 15063.483), that should resolve the issues. With respect to Preview bugs, we know and have made a variety of changes to it, but it still needs a lot of work, and like the animation request, it's also not game breaking, so it hasn't made it to a priority list either.

On the animation question, he had asked if we would investigate it and I said we would, so I thought it was reasonable to respond to his inquiry.

Keith---

Wow my first reply from BW ever it's like getting to talk to Yoda who came out from the cave located deep in the equatorial swamps on Dagobah.

Keith what about DX11 game client refresh eta, or never going to happen or what about related big picture news all over the threads? Where is SWTOR going in next 1 year and more big picture wize?

Are parts of the 'PRIORITY LIST' which are not listed on the patch notes issues available in a cumulative list some place across all the builds as builds are cumulative since 1.0 bugs.?

• Dev Post
Wow my first reply from BW ever it's like getting to talk to Obiwon. To Yoda .

Keith what about DX11 game client refresh eta, or never going to happen or what about related big picture news all over the threads? Where is SWTOR going in next 1 year and more big picture wize?

Are parts of the 'PRIORITY LIST' which are not listed on the patch notes issues available in a cumulative list some place across all the builds as builds are cumulative since 1.0 bugs.?

Not quite as old as Yoda, but suspect I'd give Obiwan...:D

It looks like we've completely hijacked this thread, but let me address your questions and then just know I'll update the Roadmap/start a new thread that provides details about the next 90 days. Keep in mind, I've learned from last time not to commit to a date of availability!

Big picture wise is re-engaging all of our systems (Ops, FPs, PvP, Story, GSF, Strongholds), and yes, QoL which means bugs or changes with a specific focus in mind (e.g., Group Finder, performance related-both server and client, gameplay experience - removing steps - like auto-completing quests, and more). Even though we will also add or extend story content, our primary focus is on Multi-player and repeatable content.

We absolutely have a Master List of bugs in our internal database and virtually every day, we triage the list to determine what's included in the next patch. When we do QoL changes, we review areas that will be changed and see if there are bugs or enhancements we can make within those same areas. With all the recent issues, I can see why we get hammered when problems arise, but I think everyone also knows anytime you change something, you increase the risk of breaking something else. We test extensively, yet, stuff still happens.

We have a bug forum and that's reviewed every day, too. Issues are provided to our QA team, so if you have something specific, especially something game-breaking report it there. If you discover an exploit, PM Musco right away.

I'm not sure what we're doing about DX11 or DX12, but, just like how this thread started, I'll definitely have it looked into.

---Keith

It looks like we've completely hijacked this thread, but let me address your questions and then just know I'll update the Roadmap/start a new thread that provides details about the next 90 days. Keep in mind, I've learned from last time not to commit to a date of availability!

Big picture wise is re-engaging all of our systems (Ops, FPs, PvP, Story, GSF, Strongholds), and yes, QoL which means bugs or changes with a specific focus in mind (e.g., Group Finder, performance related-both server and client, gameplay experience - removing steps - like auto-completing quests, and more). Even though we will also add or extend story content, our primary focus is on Multi-player and repeatable content.

We absolutely have a Master List of bugs in our internal database and virtually every day, we triage the list to determine what's included in the next patch. When we do QoL changes, we review areas that will be changed and see if there are bugs or enhancements we can make within those same areas. With all the recent issues, I can see why we get hammered when problems arise, but I think everyone also knows anytime you change something, you increase the risk of breaking something else. We test extensively, yet, stuff still happens.

We have a bug forum and that's reviewed every day, too. Issues are provided to our QA team, so if you have something specific, especially something game-breaking report it there. If you discover an exploit, PM Musco right away.

I'm not sure what we're doing about DX11 or DX12, but, just like how this thread started, I'll definitely have it looked into.

---Keith

OK

HEROENGINE Mainline supports DX11 and since 2012 swtor players are asking for it. I called Hero's COO to confirm they will soon support DX11.1 and DX12. ( SWTOR may be on a differenct Hero branch but it's doable)

DX11 or DX12, to summarize there exists alot of consultancies, and DX9 to DX12 migration software, some off shore low cost that can help BW rapidly migrate the game mapping points from DX9 to DX12--> This will allow a path for the game to play on PS4/XBONE/MAC/AOS clients and more. IMAGINE 4M subs on SWTOR. Plus the main benefit will be to get all cores on your home AMD/INTEL CPU and GPU cores to be active in the game with highest frame rates and 4K graphics. Yes Battlefront and dozens of Dice EA games use this including Dolby Vision to compresss the graphics. Also Microsoft has a BITS video optimizer to compress the game play moving images in the background to quickly to get the best frame rates and on and on it's native for Windows 10 CU the last OS that Microsoft will release. There is no Windows 11 so BW would be set until 2023.

Windows 7 is officially EOL and support ends 2019 December. That being said if 33% of users today run it. it needs DX11. That being said DX11 is 60% of DX12. Also if you think big picture and have PS4/XBONE/MAC/AOS playing the a DX12 version of the game using the USB Keyboards (perhaps not the game controller at first-to speed up deployments) then the percentage of Windows 7 would drop to less than 10% and perhaps 5% by the time BW refreshes the game client and installer pulls it down to our consoles or pc's. (So a sub with an old w7 pc could opt for a $199 xbone/ps4 console and play the game better with dx12, if you go pure DX12/64bit only.Plus you could keep 32 bit servers online for the old w7 players.)

dated 3 yr old thread on why fps needs a new game client:

In 2012 it was recommended here to use DX11

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=2151871&postcount=3

BW MEA supports DX12 Dolby Vision or will soon:

http://wccftech.com/mass-effect-andromeda-support-dolby-vision-hdr10-game-rushed/

Win 7 & DX11:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17431

Hey! i would buy it too!

I would also buy animations for other classes. Something the devs should maybe consider for a future Cartel Market project. Like let the players customize their animations where it is possible, without breaking the game too much.

Edited by Kaedusz

With respect to Preview bugs, we know and have made a variety of changes to it, but it still needs a lot of work, and like the animation request, it's also not game breaking, so it hasn't made it to a priority list either.

Even if it's not game breaking, considering how often it happens, players wondering each time they preview a crystal color, an armor piece, a dye, ... if it will work, this bug IS really important.

Bugs in the interface, that happens easily and often, for a long time, to many or all players, MUST BE RESOLVED quickly.

By not fixing it, it makes people think Devs don't really care in the game or its quality. Because it happens so often, it should be in the priority list...

It's sad when Devs don't understand the importance of bugfixing. Each day that passes with a bug still happening should move that bug up in the list, even more so when it happens often and to a lot of players.

Here's another example and what it makes me think about the entire SWTOR team.

When you compose a mail, the game displays in the mailbox window the shipping fee, which is 5 credits.

If you add an attachement to that mail, the shipping fee changes to 10 credits.

The thing though, is it will still only cost 5 credits.

It's not game breaking at all, it doesn't damage any data, it doesn't create weird graphical display or anything, so yes, it has no consequence and thus can stay at the bottom of the bug list...

EXCEPT IT'S HAPPENING SINCE BETA...

The consequence is I, random player, will never believe or trust a single thing anyone in the SWTOR team can say.

Trust or believing a dev team can make a MMO better is THE most important thing to have a really succesfull MMO and to keep players. Each day that passes with old bugs still present is a day some players distrust you even more, which leads them in the end to leaving.

As Valk Beroya said, "you're doing it wrong"...

Edited by Nyla

Star Wars The Old Republic needs a game client refresh surgical overhaul to support DX12 Dolby Vision like Battlefront II uses. This makes black actually black and guarantees all the selected colors by the original game artist are delivered to the game client in the correct color and hue power and color temperature. It also saves bandwidth for video downloads for game patch updates. They can use everything and would just recompile the old game into 64bit DV.

Here is example from The Force Awakens:

---Keith

This may seem like a joke. But could you clarify on weather or not we will be getting a 90 day Roadmap update 90 days from the last update? I know you say you don't want to commit to a day of availability. But if that's in reference to part 2 of the Roadmap for this year i would argue you did. To be fair you were supposed to release a whole years outlook. Which quickly changed to a quarterly Roadmap. So at this point in our relationship I would like you to clarify that the 90 day Roadmap isn't just a title, and a reasonable expectation for the player base on a delivery date.

Keith---

Hmm if we are on the topic of animations, Is it possible we can get our old pew-pew heals for mercs? Many of us were upset when we lost our "shoot-to-heal" when commandos kept theirs. Instead we got a dart that is boring and too similar to the operative one. Any chance keith? Pretty please?:p

OK

HEROENGINE Mainline supports DX11 and since 2012 swtor players are asking for it. I called Hero's COO to confirm they will soon support DX11.1 and DX12. ( SWTOR may be on a differenct Hero branch but it's doable)

DX11 or DX12, to summarize there exists alot of consultancies, and DX9 to DX12 migration software, some off shore low cost that can help BW rapidly migrate the game mapping points from DX9 to DX12--> This will allow a path for the game to play on PS4/XBONE/MAC/AOS clients and more. IMAGINE 4M subs on SWTOR. Plus the main benefit will be to get all cores on your home AMD/INTEL CPU and GPU cores to be active in the game with highest frame rates and 4K graphics. Yes Battlefront and dozens of Dice EA games use this including Dolby Vision to compresss the graphics. Also Microsoft has a BITS video optimizer to compress the game play moving images in the background to quickly to get the best frame rates and on and on it's native for Windows 10 CU the last OS that Microsoft will release. There is no Windows 11 so BW would be set until 2023.

Windows 7 is officially EOL and support ends 2019 December. That being said if 33% of users today run it. it needs DX11. That being said DX11 is 60% of DX12. Also if you think big picture and have PS4/XBONE/MAC/AOS playing the a DX12 version of the game using the USB Keyboards (perhaps not the game controller at first-to speed up deployments) then the percentage of Windows 7 would drop to less than 10% and perhaps 5% by the time BW refreshes the game client and installer pulls it down to our consoles or pc's. (So a sub with an old w7 pc could opt for a $199 xbone/ps4 console and play the game better with dx12, if you go pure DX12/64bit only.Plus you could keep 32 bit servers online for the old w7 players.)

dated 3 yr old thread on why fps needs a new game client:

In 2012 it was recommended here to use DX11

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=2151871&postcount=3

BW MEA supports DX12 Dolby Vision or will soon:

http://wccftech.com/mass-effect-andromeda-support-dolby-vision-hdr10-game-rushed/

Win 7 & DX11:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17431

What about Vulkan?

Interesting...let me ask.

-Keith--

It's neat y'all are looking into this, so one suggestion/request, if I may, for if this becomes a thing?

Could we get one for Deception/Infiltration, to change their upgraded abilities' animations back to the basic versions? Thrash and Shock look neat, but Voltaic Slash and Ball Lightning is too much spinning. The spec is fun, but sometimes I feel like I'm in Sith Glee Club when I play it.

yo... don't sell me better animations :( just improve existing animations for all I don't look forward to extremely rare, extremely elite and expensive animations used by only rich players.

Confused about your understanding, because dozens of games like EA's Star wars Battlefront today for $5 month supports 4K 60 fps animations It's not expensive and a $500 PC will run them. Any $195 xbox one or PS4 will run them. SWTOR coded back in 2010 just needs to catchup.

Confused about your understanding, because dozens of games like EA's Star wars Battlefront today for $5 month supports 4K 60 fps animations It's not expensive and a $500 PC will run them. Any $195 xbox one or PS4 will run them. SWTOR coded back in 2010 just needs to catchup.

I'm thinking they release a Vicious Throw ability replacement on the CM called, let's say... Vicious Lightning, which replaces the Warrior's saber-throw-execute with a force-lightning-execute ability animation. Now every Sith Warrior wants to gain a force lightning ability to be unique, gets put on CM for 5000 CCs and is sold for 500 mil on GTN.

So only like, 20 people on the server have it and unique and exclusive ability animations become the new hotness.

Big picture wise is re-engaging all of our systems (Ops, FPs, PvP, Story, GSF, Strongholds), and yes, QoL which means bugs or changes with a specific focus in mind (e.g., Group Finder, performance related-both server and client, gameplay experience - removing steps - like auto-completing quests, and more).

---Keith

So, regarding the bolded underlined phrase... this is one area that, in my opinion, has significant downsides in addition to its true advantages.

When I am grinding heroic missions for Alliance Supply Crates, or for the CXP bonus day, or conquests, I definitely appreciate the auto-completion. However, I also have 18 characters, and have seen these quests and their cutscenes in their entirety many times over. Unfortunately, any new player, or for that matter, any veteran player wanting to go back and see all the cutscene cinematics and listen to the voice acting, will lose out on this because of the auto-completion. There are also conversation options that can affect companion influence gains that you now miss out on.

What I and many other propose in this thread is that the cutscenes for the heroic missions be restored (and not auto-completed) if you pick up the heroic mission from the original NPC quest giver, and be bypassed/auto-completed if you do it through the heroic mission terminals or galactic command interface.

There should be a way to enjoy all the cinematics the game has to offer for those that seek it out, and a way to bypass that for those in grinding mode.

So, regarding the bolded underlined phrase... this is one area that, in my opinion, has significant downsides in addition to its true advantages.

When I am grinding heroic missions for Alliance Supply Crates, or for the CXP bonus day, or conquests, I definitely appreciate the auto-completion. However, I also have 18 characters, and have seen these quests and their cut scenes in their entirety many times over. Unfortunately, any new player, or for that matter, any veteran player wanting to go back and see all the cut scene cinematic and listen to the voice acting, will lose out on this because of the auto-completion. There are also conversation options that can affect companion influence gains that you now miss out on.

What I and many other propose in this thread is that the cutscenes for the heroic missions be restored (and not auto-completed) if you pick up the heroic mission from the original NPC quest giver, and be bypassed/auto-completed if you do it through the heroic mission terminals or galactic command interface.

There should be a way to enjoy all the cinematics the game has to offer for those that seek it out, and a way to bypass that for those in grinding mode.

This autoskip quests is a lower priority for me to have BW to spend time to modify as I have dozens and dozens of toons too. BW could make this a checkbox like auotskip all movies or autoskip quests like Kieth said This would make SWTOR like more other games, less to click but it does not bother me I am used to it and like seeing it.

Low-level APIs like DirectX 12 or Vulkan, if implemented correctly, would be ideal for an MMORPG, since it should reduce CPU overhead. In addition to that, an optimized 64 bit executable optimized for multi threading that can utilize more system and video RAM would be ideal as well.

Low-level APIs like DirectX 12 or Vulkan, if implemented correctly, would be ideal for an MMORPG, since it should reduce CPU overhead. In addition to that, an optimized 64 bit executable optimized for multi threading that can utilize more system and video RAM would be ideal as well.

Problem here is that's modifying the core of SWTOR engine. First I doubt many software developpers that were at BW Austin when they modified the Hero Engine are still working on SWTOR. Second, changing that will probably makes the game unstable for a while. Third, it's, in my own experience, the kind of changes the management has trouble understanding why it's beneficial.