Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Hi everyone,

I know it’s been a while since we’ve updated this thread, and I wanted to let you know that we haven’t forgotten about our Oceanic players. Now that we’re at a more stable point in time (post Free-to-Play transition and post holidays), we wanted to re-examine this issue. We’re going to be completely honest with you: there doesn’t seem to be an easy solution for anyone. We’ve seen many ideas from you folks such as merging all three servers into one, allowing for transfers to North America servers, and even not doing anything at all, but none of them seem to be an ideal solution for all. This is why we are now opening up this dialogue with you.

In this thread, please let us know what you think the best solution will be for your servers. I know there have been many suggestions already, but I would like to collect the most current ideas for us to consider. After that, our team will review and discuss what is feasible and what makes the most sense to do. Please remember to follow all forum rules and be respectful of each other’s ideas, even if you disagree with it.

Thank you all, and we look forward to your ideas.

Thanks Joveth for reply. Its nice to know this issue hasn't been shelved like we starting to think.

I know the task before you isn't an easy one, and you won't be able to please every one. However, to throw in my thoughts on the matters, I think the best result will come with a free open transfer to selected servers (maybe both PvE and PvP serves in Australia, and some in West US) This will allow the Players to choose for themselves whats best for their experience in playing the game.

Once the players have settled back down after a month or so, onto which ever servers that may be (Mostly the APAC PvE server from what most players have said) we can then re-address if the other server are worth keeping.

Just to add some weight, I head up the Four One Nine on MDN with about 20 active members (we have more but they are log on rarely due to the server pop issue) After a recent Poll within our guild, if server migration are allowed, the entire guild will move to Dalborra.

As I stated earlier, I know the decision is not an easy one, and it will take time. We understand that. But the silence has to stop. We need dialogue otherwise we will just keep losing players, and this thread will keep spiraling into chaos with very disgruntled players.

Thanks,

Spiniakr - Four One Nine guild Leader

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the very least, merge the PVP & PVE servers. Make the ruleset PVE - open world PVP is virtually non-existant in this game, and anyone can just flag themself for PVP if they want.

As for the RP server, I'm unsure about its population. If its fine, leave it as is. If its not fine then merge all 3 servers together. Again, PVP can be flagged if wanted, and RP can be done in different chat channels too.

I rerolled on a PVE server, and to be honest, when I want to PVP I flag myself (and get about the same amount of PVP action I did on a PVP server). As for RP's well even the server I am on now (not a RP server) has guilds that are RP'ing. So I see no real drawback of putting everyone on one server. Most servers are a mix already. Sure people complain about being ganked for the HK part, but they were complaining about that on pvp servers too.

This bit is plain wrong but thanks for taking it upon yourself to speak for me :)

Back in a heartbeat if it's a merge

Yeah, i'm sure you will stick around there too after a few months when u realize the pvp situation is exactly the same, just a bigger population for pve.

I mean, thats why you still play there and never left, right?

/sarcasm

On a serious note, thats why used the word 'generally' in my post. Didn't mean for you to take offense :)

The real issue is nothing is going to be any different there for pvp. So, people will just end up going back to the Bastion. Why delay the inevitable, just give everyone as many options as possible now. That includes transfers to west coast servers and mergers/offering transfers to 1 APAC server.

This, is the best solution I can see. Merge into Dalborra or accept a transfer elsewhere.

The main thing I want to see is choice. I've already been on Dalborra, I don't want to return. We have a number of people in our guild who are of the same mind.

I'm not in your guild and I am of the same mind. I do not want GD to merge with Dal or MD; I have no complaints if MD and Dal merge.

for everybody saying that want transfer's where ever they want.. why cant this be done after an initial server merge.. merge all 3 or just the 2 i dont mind which. and then after 2-4 weeks offer free transfer's to those that are still unhappy.. it is completely logical.. u still gett what u want and we still get what we want..? and those that don't want a merge can stay there/.. all 4 of u having the name "assassin ninja" :/

for everybody saying that want transfer's where ever they want.. why cant this be done after an initial server merge.. merge all 3 or just the 2 i dont mind which. and then after 2-4 weeks offer free transfer's to those that are still unhappy.. it is completely logical.. u still gett what u want and we still get what we want..? and those that don't want a merge can stay there/.. all 4 of u having the name "assassin ninja" :/

(Like)

Tbh it's crazy to think that BW will or should allow server transfers to 'anywhere' or 'where ever I want.' Back when US servers had population issues they were not allowed this choice, I don't see what makes you think we should.

C'mon bro. After the way we've been treated (or haven't been treated), you don't think we should be able to transfer to a server of our choice?

eg. After the population issue on Master Dar'Narla got to a point where GF and WZ weren't poping and we were getting no response from EAware, alot of us re-rolled on US servers so we could... you know... PVP

Are you saying I shouldn't be able to consolidate my toons on one server? You expect me to be happy letting EAware choose which server they want to merge my toons too. **** that!

Let us decide where we want our toons!

Edited by Ignicity

Merge all 3, dunno how it works but have an RP channel or whatev for those guys. Willing to lose the non existent open world pvp.

Still think changing to and from pvp in the pve servers should only be done at fleet or something but thats another matter.

Thanks for contacting us, i now have hope!

Edited by Leweegibo

The option I want is the what Antiskeptic is proposing I believe he has it right on what most players will do.

First a forced merge of all 3 servers into an oceanic super server. Then a month after offer a 2 week window for transfers to US PvP or RP servers for those who are completely unhappy with the new arrangement. This will give the best chance for the communities to stay together and those who hate it completely can just leave.

And again I'll reiterate don't offer transfer to random servers as people will take them and it won't solve the population issues for the remaining players in Oceania. Trying to keep these communities together for the most part is best for all.

I think this is a good solution moving forward. That way if there is unhappy RP or PVE players they can transfer at that point and BW avoid any disgruntled players in the future.

Also thank you for finally listening BW :)

Edited by phat_maban

I'd like to thank Joveth for finally talking to us and communicating.

From where I'm standing there are 3 realistic options each with their own drawbacks and strengths.

As probably one of longest players/most time played on Master Dar'Nala I can with confidence say that all the people there want a higher population. Whether the server becomes PvP, PvE or PvE-RP it doesn't matter to us, we can adjust our gameplay and toggle our pvp flags if we wish to do so for events and open world PvP.

Option 1, Merge all three servers. There is only one problem with this, and that is the integrity of the RP community on the Gav Daragon. From what I've seen they do not partake in as much RP events/conversations as US servers simply because of the lack of people to do so. I know that on the PvP server there is next to no one that would actively troll them for doing so, as we would expect the same courtesy for being PvP Oriented. Anyone who would is simply not around anymore/enough to be of a real hassle.

Option 2, Open Transfers for APAC players to US servers and shut down APAC servers. This, while being a viable option, completely dissolves the current community we have and merely waters down our numbers more, as no one would be able to decide on one server for everyone as we simply just can't coordinate on that scale. The numbers on US servers would go up a very very small amount and leave any potential new APAC destination seeking players in the dark.

Option 3, Do nothing. Since July this year more and more people have left the server while waiting for server mergers, roughly half the population since then has moved to the Bastion, the Harbinger or the Prophecy of the Five and even still numbers are declining. In terms of serious guilds currently there are only 4-5 MAX on the Republic side that are anywhere near progressive end-game content or PvP competitiveness, and even less on the Imperial side.

Option 1 is the best option for all servers simply because it would make the 1 server merged together one of the best in the game in terms of Ranked PvP, World RP as well as Progression PvE content. There are a lot of people waiting for server mergers to happen from just Master Dar'Nala alone and just server Mergers alone would bring back a LOT of people and at least double the population from our single server. That is a fact.\

That's my view of the matter. And I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way.

As a casual player, who moved from WAR to SWTOR, I had hoped that the Master D server would be great for PVP. Sadly, since October 2012 I would get online and wait fifteen/twenty minutes for a WZ or FP, and even then, I'd get rolled because there were only premades smashing PUG's.:mad:

I stopped playing and went to GW2. I also put a ticket in for a transfer (I even offered to pay!!) for all my toons to Dalborra, where the majority of my friends were. Why not reroll you say?:eek:

I just didn't have the time or the inclination to reroll and redo all the storylines. I just wanted to move my toons and keep playing. I still have a sub, and I really want to keep playing, but I really just want to move my toons from Master D to Dalborra. Thats all. :cool:

Thanks for listening!:)

Yes!

Merge everyone into Gav and then enforce RP rules... ban anyone with stupid names... oh it could be bliss!

This is one thing I have noticed with RP players posting in these threads so far. They are very set in their ways and don't like anything that doesn't conform to their RP community.

There comes a point where the livelihood of a game outweighs the necessity of strict RP rules within 1 sub-community of the game. For example If merging into a PvE server meant I couldn't go and gank lvl 30s on my lvl 50 so be it. I really don't mind all that much losing a small part of the game for a much larger population and/or quality of game play improvement, and I expect others to feel the same. If they don't they are being extremely self-centered and selfish.

Edited by Tom_the_Narwhal

C'mon bro. After the way we've been treated (or haven't been treated), you don't think we should be able to transfer to a server of our choice?

do you have to be so rude about it, trying to discuss this in a adult manner not being like some child i want this NOW ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME.

Having transfers straight up will kill any chance of the merger working at all since everyone will leave before even trying it out.

do you have to be so rude about it, trying to discuss this in a adult manner not being like some child i want this NOW ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME.

Having transfers straight up will kill any chance of the merger working at all since everyone will leave before even trying it out.

Have you been here from the start? If yes, then you should know the answer to your own question.

I have no problem with a Server Merge of 3 into 1. I have posted that in this thread multiple times.

However, it comes with a caveat; that at the same time or shortly (within two weeks of the merge) offer Transfers to any server of our choice.

*EDIT* ...and I already left and re-rolled on a US PVP server.... you know... for the PVP. All I (and many others that have re-rolled on US servers since the APAC population disaster) want is the ability to use those old left behind dust covered characters on my new home server, not on a PvE centric Oceanic Super Server.

Edited by Ignicity

I believe that a APAC Super Server would be a great idea. I am a PvPer on MDN and i would gladly just flag myself for PvP to have the ability to see a healthy server population. i don't know how RP players would react to this as they may not be inclined to see there RP server merged.

We all have our friends and also have played with the rest of the community and that's what servers become, giant communities.

I would be in favour of losing the PvP server in order to have that population increase and also to keep those communities together.

We Are all BOYZZZZZ just having fun let us have our merge

Edited by frmgod

...In this thread, please let us know what you think the best solution will be for your servers...

Optimal course if action in my opinion:

1. Merge the apac servers into a single PVE server - the reasoning around this has been described many times. Keep the awesome latency, correct prime/op times, guilds, legacies and local community whilst boosting the population

2. Offer FREE transfers FROM US servers TO the apac server - in a bid to get those APAC players that left okr rolled on US servers due to the population issues, to come back

3. Offer PAID transfers FROM apac server TO US servers - gives those who hate Pve or have some other problem with the apac server an opportunity to get out. Could possibly make this process free for PVP and RP players if that's not too complicated

4. Some form of advertising in Australia/NZ to get more people in before the release of the expansion

Asking for point 4 may be pushing it but thought I'd throw it up there anyway because I think it would be effective - I've introduced several friends that are now subscribers who had not previously heard about the game despite it being released 10 months ago. I'm sure I had some other ideas but can't recall them. May edit this at a later date when I'm not so busy with uni

Edited by laz_AU

Have you been here from the start? If yes, then you should know the answer to your own question.

I have no problem with a Server Merge of 3 into 1. I have posted that in this thread multiple times.

However, it comes with a caveat; that at the same time or shortly (within two weeks of the merge) offer Transfers to any server of our choice.

*EDIT* ...and I already left and re-rolled on a US PVP server.... you know... for the PVP. All I (and many others that have re-rolled on US servers since the APAC population disaster) want is the ability to use those charachters on my new home server, not on a PvE centric Oceanic Super Server.

Lol sorry who's your toon? Definitely seen you on the forums before... I can also say zimas has re rolled on bastion as well.

So it sounds like you wanted to play on an APAC server but the pop was too low and you were forced to reroll on a US server, how about all APAC players get the option to transfer their characters back to the merged APAC server. Just like they did at the APAC server launch.

This will increase the APAC population and you will have a big enough population to play on with all your toons here. This will also stop the whining of the people that rerolled.

I'm suggesting this from a problem solving perspective. Not from a get what you can view.

I noticed someone commenting that from a low-level point of view the servers are busy. This may be, but F2P has been around for what, almost 2 months now? And all I'm seeing is most of the F2P players on the low level planets and fleet. High level planets(from Empire perspective) of Voss and Corellia are pretty much dead. I can't think of a time recently that I've seen more than 20 people on either of these planets, in peak times.

Additionally endgame is still poor. Getting GF pops is hit and miss. Unless you have 2 or 3 people ready to go and you group up before-hand the wait times are still pretty high. 30 minutes + is not abnormal.

Getting pug groups together for weekly ops runs is also very difficult, even with ~130 on fleet(and this is now considered busy!).

Clearly F2P is influencing numbers on the low level end of the scale but these are yet to translate to significant uptakes in numbers of high level and endgame players. So from that point of view F2P isn't really working particularly well, regardless of the money coming in.

My $0.02,and this is similar to other suggestions I've already seen although I haven't read all of them:

• Merge the RP and PVP servers to Dalborra
  • Establish a dedicated RP channel on Dalborra
  • Provide a 2 week grace period where anyone who has been transferred can transfer to any US server free of charge if they so wish
  • Provide free transfer to the new Oceanic server(or existing Dalborra, however it works) to anyone who re-rolled on a US server since the issue was raised BUT allow them to transfer back, free of charge, if they are unhappy with the new server

My reasonings are:

• Dedicated RP channel will cover majority of needs of RP'ers
  • PVP server is hardly different to PVE seeing as world PVP is minimal and pretty pointless
  • anyone unhappy with the forced merge has the option to move to a higher pop US server of their choice

Cheers,

Turiya/Herem/Jehanna

The Usual Suspects

Dalborra

Edited by Turiya

Lol sorry who's your toon? Definitely seen you on the forums before... I can also say zimas has re rolled on bastion as well.

So it sounds like you wanted to play on an APAC server but the pop was too low and you were forced to reroll on a US server, how about all APAC players get the option to transfer their characters back to the merged APAC server. Just like they did at the APAC server launch.

This will increase the APAC population and you will have a big enough population to play on with all your toons here. This will also stop the whining of the people that rerolled.

I'm suggesting this from a problem solving perspective. Not from a get what you can view.

Who's my toon?! ..On what server? I have 6 50's across 2 servers. Not sure what the point of that question was.

Hint: One of them is called Ignicity.

And for those that want to stay on the US server that they've re-rolled to? They just get shafted?