Charging Subscribers for Content

Monoth

I disagree. This method will force me to have to track which features I have enabled. I want a flat fee and the game to track the features. This enables EAware to nickle and dime subscribers. I would rather they take away the monthly allotment and take all my CC's given so far and charge me for an expansion than be nickled and dimed and insulted.

I disagree with your disagreement and your points underlying it.

But our disagreements are largely rhetorical. It is what it is, and it is totally playable without spending a dime (or a nickel) beyond your subscription.

It is funny though to see MMO players who can run complex encounters inside virtual games complain that they have to think and plan their game currency investments. :D There is a lot of irony there IMO.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ANYTHING created for the game is Content PERIOD.... It's crazy how people try to justify Bioware ripping them off... And as I put in my Edit above, this is just the beginning you know Bioware is going to try and get subscribers to pay for new Flashpoints, Warzones and Operations in the future....

The last thing Bioware is going to do is try and piss off thier current subs. And even if a few minor things feels like a must or major content to some people. It is nothing two months worth of free Cartel Coins will not be able to buy.

Just start saving them now instead of blowing them on silly stuff. My I plan to keep atleast 2k in coins on hand for that big item to drop. No extra money out of my pocket beyond paying my sub.

I swear some of you people will look so hard to find something to complain about.

You don't get that many coins per month, looking at how many you get I fear to think of how many months you'd need to save to buy any expansion.

About the same as LoTRO I would venture. ;)

TL;DR: totally doable, as long as you stay away from the Cartel Packs.. errr I mean mousetraps. :D

Edited by Andryah

It is funny though to see MMO players who can run complex encounters inside virtual games complain that they have to think and plan their game currency investments. :D There is a lot of irony there IMO.

There is no irony. I don't want to "work" to play. Performing research, study and calculations to optimize my game experience is relaxing to me and not work. It is something that I choose to do. Making it so I have to perform some level of organization or tracking that used to be part of the service is not a choice on my part. This leaves me with only one option and that is to nolonger support the service because it will no longer suit my needs. I see with each passing day the choices made by EAware that I will soon be leaving. Graphics problems since 1.4, now increased lag with 1.5, and on top of this being nickled and dimed on top of paying a subscription. I have logged in about 3 or 4 times since 1.4 and just could not bring myself to play. I see no improvement on the horizon, only more problems.

There are 3 types of people in this thread.

1. People that knew this was comming and dont like it

2. People that accept anything EA does as long as they got lightsabres (may or may not have expected it but dont care either way)

3. People that didnt expect this and dont like it

4. People who accept change and either leave or stay, depending on their current entertainment value.

I may not particularly enjoy a CC shop but accept that it was done. And when the day comes that they go overboard on the content or features or it becomes p2w, then I will quit and find another game. And like the dozen games before it that I played before this....you wont even see a good bye post. Just a hello post on the flip side.

About the same as LoTRO I would venture. ;)

TL;DR: totally doable, as long as you stay away from the Cartel Packs.. errr I mean mousetraps. :D

Shouldn't matter. Any new playable race should be automatically available to subscribers. Races aren't just fluff. I've never seen races needing to be "purchased" to be useable by a subscriber.

Well, let me backtrack this a bit. This is assuming the new races comes with an expansion pack I bought. However, if there's not going to be trad'l expansions in this game like Rift and WoW, then I'm perfectly okay with this being something you need to buy with CC's.

Think again. They give you cartel coins each month so that you can spend them on content in the coin shop and NOT have to spend any real life money beyond your monthly subscription. It is a principle that has worked very well in other AAA freemium MMOs and they are following the example.

Now, if you blow all your allowance on cartel packs and don't have coins banked when a new feature is provided.. that's on you. Learn to manage your wealth and you will never have to do wealth transfer from RL money to Virtual Money.

I take offence that you think someone who doesn't have cartel coins must have spent them on cartel packs and doesn't know how to manage a budget. I'll be honest, I think I bought one, just to see what all the hubbub was about. The rest were spent on racial unlocks because I'm a crazy altaholic and can't be bothered to get one member of every race to level 50. Hell, I played for a good six months when the game came out, and my highest level right now is a level 47 Sentinel. I just get bit by the altaholic bug, and that's it.

Anyway, I see your point, too. Just think it was a bit rude to talk down to me as if I'm some child who blew his allowance on one of those little egg-dispensing machines you see at the grocery store.

Holy shine-ola! Lol! Much ado about nothing!

Ok... it bears repeating. Subs get 500 CC's per month; essentially, their pick of a couple of CC items in the shop. The Cathar are presumably going to be a shop exclusive. Hmm... ok, lets follow the logic here. If you want the Cathar, you take your 500 CCs for the month and... yup, you unlock the Cathar at no extra charge.

Lol! It is not a conspiracy to start charging for everything and slowly ween subs off of the freebie model. It is just an option!

And... btw. I have no issues if they do this with other bits and pieces of fluff (aka content if it makes you feel better). As long as my stipend of CCs gives me the opportunity to buy the new said item, then, essentially, as a sub I'm getting what I paid for.

I think... I'm losing faith. Not in the game... at least not yet. But in these forums... wow.

Edited by Rafaman

Holy shine-ola! Lol! Much ado about nothing!

Ok... it bears repeating. Subs get 500 CC's per month. Essentially, their pick of a couple of CC items in the shop. The Cathar are presumably going to be a shop exclusive. Hmm... ok, lets follow the logic here. If you want the Cathar, you take your 500 CCs for the month and... yup, you unlock the Cathar at no extra charge.

Lol! It is not a conspiracy to start charging for everything and slowly ween subs off of the freebie model. It is just an option!

And... btw. I have no issues if they do this with other bits and pieces of fluff (aka content if it makes you feel better). As long as my stipend of CCs gives me the opportunity to buy the new said item, then, essentially, as a sub I'm getting what I paid for.

I think... I'm losing faith. Not in the game... at least not yet. But in these forums... wow.

How about they just not give us any CCs and give us access to the content without any fuss? They can have all my CC's back and my monthly alotment. I really don't want to mess with the store. Just enable the content as it goes live. I suspect the reason they don't do that is because they are banking that people will waste their alotments, not save up and get extra cash out of subscribers. If this was not the case then in good faith they could give subscribers the option to either get CCs or not have CCs and just get the content as it goes live.

Anyway, I see your point, too. Just think it was a bit rude to talk down to me as if I'm some child who blew his allowance on one of those little egg-dispensing machines you see at the grocery store.

My comment about buying packs was not directed at you personally, but to the broader context of people managing their coin budgets. No offense was intended, and I see in re-reading that it could be read differently then I intended and amended it to make that more clear. :)

Edited by Andryah

I disagree with that every new race should be available for subscribers for free. It would be very nice of BioWare, but it's not mandatory IN MY OPINION. Had to caps it out.

Like someone mentioned, the new race, Cathar in this case, is just a cosmetic 'item'. You buy it, you can play as it for the looks. Vanity stuff. Want it badly and know that you will enjoy it a lot? Buy it. It's worth it in this case. Don't need it but want it because you're a hoarder who likes to have ALL the options available for no effort? Not a financial model for you. :) And if you don't need it and don't necessarily want it, why go butthurt about it? It's like your Origin crashing. You don't like EA, you don't like Origin, you don't play the games you have on it, but when it doesn't launch, you suddenly want to play that game so badly.. but you can't.

So yeah - if you would enjoy the new race so much, you would gladly pay for it to support the game and know that not every single bastard has a character like yours. And if you wouldn't.. just ignore it. Stuff you don't need, stuff you don't have to pay for.

It would be different if they added a new class, though. New class, if not added as a part of a bigger expansion, should be available for subbers for free and that would be super cool of BioWare to give it like that. That's the proper content with new storyline, new skills, new companions and items to use. But race? Not really. It's not like I want to think that my 'taxes' go into BioWare's pocket to pay for a race I never will play as. Not huge fan of space furries. :rak_01:

It would be different if they added a new class, though. New class, if not added as a part of a bigger expansion, should be available for subbers for free and that would be super cool of BioWare to give it like that. That's the proper content with new storyline, new skills, new companions and items to use. But race? Not really. It's not like I want to think that my 'taxes' go into BioWare's pocket to pay for a race I never will play as. Not huge fan of space furries. :rak_01:

I agree with Kleryk.

SWTOR is just now getting its F2P legs, so I suggest you give it some time for the dust to settle. First, the F2P and Cartel bugs have to be worked out, then the F2P options and Cartel offerings can be improved. F2P is an attempt to garner more players, but clearly EA is an infant at figuring this model out as can be seen by their requiring a Cartel purchase for even Quickbars.

It's funny how Bioware refers to Everything in the Cartel Shop as content yet some players refuse to see it that way, i guess to make themselves feel better that here being charged for something they should already get.

There is Fluff content and then there is actual game content that you play through such as war zones, ops and space missions and ground missions.

I think you do not understand that Content can be put into categories.

Subs paying for new races? Fail. I hate bioware now. I never thought I'd say that.

save ur coins and pay that way. Problem solved

We were ALWAYS told that subscribers would not have to pay for any content (with the exception of expansion packs)

Anything you were told in the past is null and void. The people who told you have long quit or been fired

There is Fluff content and then there is actual game content that you play through such as war zones, ops and space missions and ground missions.

I think you do not understand that Content can be put into categories.

No no ... we the players understand what "content" is and has been traditionally thought of. It's EAware that doesn't: F2P & Future content interview with developer Damion Schubert

5. Are there any content in the future (that are not part of a major expansion) that subscribers will have to make a purchase in the Cartel Market to gain access?

What we sell vs. what we give away will vary widely based on the sort of content we’re talking about. There will definitely be content that is only available for purchase – much of the contents in the Cartel Packs, for example, are not available in any other ways. However, we also definitely want to ensure that our subscription option is a good value, and have plans to make that richer over time.

EAware views EVERYTHING as content, not just what we the players have views as content over years of playing these games. EAware is out of touch.

No no ... we the players understand what "content" is and has been traditionally thought of. It's EAware that doesn't: F2P & Future content interview with developer Damion Schubert

EAware views EVERYTHING as content, not just what we the players have views as content over years of playing these games. EAware is out of touch.

Evidentally nothing is gonna convince you people of anything other then what you decided so what was the point of this thread. You have two options: Save up your free CC's from your sub and get the race (once again it is free to subscribers because you get coins per month free) or you can just rage quit.

Evidentally nothing is gonna convince you people of anything other then what you decided so what was the point of this thread. You have two options: Save up your free CC's from your sub and get the race (once again it is free to subscribers because you get coins per month free) or you can just rage quit.

This again ... :rolleyes:

I was addressing what you said about "content" and pointing out what EAware said about "content". Your attempt to discredit fails.

To your echo chamber retort ... it's not about the CCs ... its a slap in the face to a loyal customer. I would rather NOT have any CC alotment, heck they can have all my CC back, I don't want them, just give me this content for the price of my sub and or bundle it up in an expansion pack. I don't want to keep a spreadsheet to track what features I have in a stupid game. I want the game service to do that for me transparent and behind the scenes. I don't want to be bothered with managing a game. I have enough to manage irl. :mad:

You are applying "definitions of convenience" to support your bias, IMO. :)

Everything is content, except the vaccumm of space (and even that is still being debated by physicists actually). Even the forum is content in the context of SWTOR, and its all owned by EA. So in the end, it is their definition that counts, not yours. :p

P.S: EA decides what they give you for free, and what they ask you to pay for. You only get to decide if you use what is free, and pay to use what is not. ;)

Edited by Andryah

To discuss it. That's the point. You don't need to reply, but there is certainly a 'point' to this thread...discussion.

You are applying "definitions of convenience" to support your bias, IMO. :)

Everything is content, except the vaccumm of space (and even that is still being debated by physicists actually). Even the forum is content in the context of SWTOR, and its all owned by EA. So in the end, it is their definition that counts, not yours. :p

P.S: EA decides what they give you for free, and what they ask you to pay for. You only get to decide if you use what is free, and pay to use what is not. ;)

That's not what I mean at all and you know it. I am surprised at you honestly.

How about for this to be a truely hybrid model, they give the option to do buisness as usual for those that are comfortable with that method. Sub + expansions as an option. Those that like freeium tiers can have those and those that like the old method can have that and everyone can be happy. I don't want to be bothered with keeping up with what is in the dang store. I don't want to get nickeled and dimed on top of my loyal dependable revenue in the form of my subscription. They can "count on my cash" each month. I am one of those that stays subbed even if things are bugged in the hopes that they get fixed. There are no breaks in my payment history. When I stop paying I stop for good. I hope they are listening. I want to give them my money but, I don't want to have to freaking manage their service as if it was work. I don't want to "work" to play their game. That's what this is about for me. I just want to pay my money and not worry about it. Give me that option. Give me an option to pay for a years subscription up front with no more worries about getting nickeled and dimed to death heck make it pay 5 years up front. I would rather pay money than worry about CCs and Stores.

Edited by Urael

A little math shows that the pittance you get each month won't cover the cost of buying all the stuff in the Cartel Shop....

All at once, right away, you are correct. It will not. Over time, however, it will. Monthly stipend is still monthly and it means I will be able to buy every thing in the store now and will be added to the future without ever opening my wallet - only difference is when I will be able to buy it. Nothing I have ever seen stated that subscribers are entitled to get everything as soon as it is created, otherwise I would already have every piece of gear, item, and fluff in the game right now just by logging in, so this whole argument over what constitutes content is completely moot because in the end, subscribers will be getting it all for free over time.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler