In what year, and how old were you?

_Pi_

...when you watched your first SW movie?

This is not meant to be a defacto "how old are you" thread. I asked the same thing on the old forum, and there were some great answers reminiscing about people's first time. What I found most appealing was how many parents passed their fandom on to their kids. Actually, one of my most cherished memories is when I took my 5 year old niece to see Phantom Menace when it first came out.

So for me... it was June 1977, I was 13, in a theater in Springfield, MO. I lived in Texas and was visiting friends of my parents by myself. They had kids of their own, but were a few years older than me. So they tried to keep me entertained as best they could. One day the dad says he heard of a new movie about "space", and it was supposed to be pretty good.

Now, a few days before we had gone to see A Bridge Too Far. Which I enjoyed because it was a war movie with lots of big name stars. But it was three hours long, and I didn't really understand the plot because it seemed that the good guys lost. And even at 13 years old I knew the allies had won the war. Also, back then "space movies" were kind of bad. Except for Kubrick's 2001 which went way over my head. Anyway, I was kind of reluctant to go. Then after it was over I couldn't shut up about it. When I got back to Texas (small town), I was crushed to find that our theater wasn't showing it yet.

Side note: yeah, I'm old.

Edited by _Pi_

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 4 years old i think (1995), my father was watching Star Wars episode IV

He didn't know that i was watching too. I knew that i wasn't allowed to watch that kind of stuff, and figured that my dad would be mad if i told him. But i couldn't keep quiet for long. I think it was a couple of days before i asked him if i could watch the movie with the white man that shot "light" at each other. I didn't understand English, i couldn't read subtitles. But i was mesmerized by the movie. I was allowed to watch it about a year later with my little brother who was four

I Remember understanding the main plot easily, eventhough i didn't understand what they were saying, since then it has been my favorite movies. They still are the best movies.

I've heard some people say that Harry Potter is the "Star Wars" of this generation. But no. Star Wars is the Star Wars of this generation and all generations. You may disagree, that's totally up to you. But no scene has ever had the same effect on me as when

**Spoiler** Darth Vader says: "Luke I am your father" **spoiler**

Im gonna show the Star Wars movies to my own kids as well, im thankful that i saw the first three Star Wars Movies in a relatively young age.

A new hope

Back then it took Swedich television a few years befor they aired a movie.

I was 4 and saw the movie with my parents.

All I wanted was to be like Luke back then, not untill I was 20, it was Han that I thought was the coolest :D

Edited by Strumpan_SWE

My first ever was when The Phantom Menace was released in theatres. I'm 16 now, and I have no idea when it was released. I remember Obi-Wan running down that laser-barrier hallway while Darth Maul and Quan-Jin(?) were battling it out.

I'm going to watch it in theatres when they release it in 3D.

Edited by Kikilicious

Very, very young. Maybe 3 years old. I saw Empire Strikes Back at a theater somewhere with my parents long after it had already been released (probably 1983-84). Like someone else posted, the battle on Hoth sucked me in. From then on I had to have every Star Wars toy available. For the longest time though I thought Storm Trooper action figures were the good guys because they wore white. LOL. Edited by Xerolyfe

I don't remember how old I was but I was extremely young probably 4-6 in the early 80's I remember hanging from the monkey bars upside down at the playground trying to use the force to make my "LIGHTSAVER, or LIFESAVER" come to my hand so that I could kill the snow monster. Edited by Shammus

June 1977 and 13 years old here as well.

I'm somewhat proud of the fact that I've seen all six films in the theatre for their first-runs. In fact for all but the first movie, I was a member of the "opening day" crowd.

I was 4 years old. Saw Ep. 4 back in May of 77 with my brother and Dad in Lubbock Tx. I remember the film broke right as the Tuskan Raider attack, so we went out for popcorn, and it was playing and over by the time we got back to our seats.

Good Times

I was less then 1 in 1977 when my brother, who is 9 years older than me, convinced my mom to take me to see it. He had already seen it 6 times before that and said that it was going to be a classic so I had to see it in the theatre.

I don't remember seeing it but there is a Polaroid of me by the enttrance to the theatre and in the theatre.

I do remember going to see Empire Strikes Back in the theatre for the original release.