Guardian: Which companion do you prefer?

Xaman

I started an in-depth thread with statistical analysis on this very subject.

To answer the OP's question, I die with anybody but Doc/Kira, and have geared ALL my companions in pre-tier level 49/50.

With Kira, I must rest between every fights, so I use Doc. Universally.

21% of the Knights who mostly use Kira still switch to Doc for hard fights. You can find that (and more) stats here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=163278

Edited by Lomerell

Kira is nice, but with Doc I hardly ever die with elites and never have to rest between battles. :)

Only thing I had my first PvP fight while doing PvE yesterday and got owned by the Sith fellow. He went after Doc first and once he was dead I didn't last much either. Guess I should have gone for his companion first too. :(

I'm 50 now on my defense guardian. I used T7 till I got Kira, used Kira till I got Doc, used Doc for about 2 levels, then went back to Kira. Used her until 50; my time to kill and recover with Kira was just plain faster, and I kept both of them geared. When I have Kira out my kill time is more than halved, and this becomes readily apparent with elites. Downing an elite on Corellia was taking less than 30 seconds on Kira (saber throw wasn't refreshed before fight ended) so even with a max rest that's 45 seconds.

With Doc it took over a minute to drop the same elite (force stasis used twice), with usually zero rest afterwards.

Fighting standard packs I would rest every 2-3 fights, or while Kira was gathering something. With strongs I would rest every 1-2 fights, depending on how much of their damage was interruptable. On elites I rest every fight.

Using Doc the only time I ever had to rest was after elites, typically, and even then it was rare. It was much SAFER leveling with Doc, as even a blunder on my part usually was something I walked away from, but I had no issues at all leveling with Kira, and my start-to-start fighting time was faster.

Now that I'm 50, I rotate companions around a lot when doing Ilum dailies, depending on what I need. If I'm slaughting packs of standards repeatedly, I pull out Rusk and let him AE away. Taking down strongs, I grab Kira and wail on them. Working my way through a winding cavern with lots of patrols, I pull out Doc for the safety net. I don't really use T7 or Scourge because they are redundant for a defense guardian. Kira & Rusk do damage better than them, and I don't need a tank.

Guardian (Defense 34/7/0) HM FP geared.

Once I got Doc I never used anyone else, unless I was forced to. With Doc I had zero downtime and the only time I died was when I made obvious mistakes, or didn't know what I was facing, so I wasn't as prepared as I should have been.

Now, when I am doing dailies solo (Ilum and Belsavis) I still just use Doc (who is also all purples and a couple blues) simply because it's still zero downtime and at my gear level things die pretty fast from my damage.

Sometimes I'll forget and have Kira or T7 out, since I am capping their affection I would take them out to get missions and forget to switch back. The main issue with my other companions is that they are so under-geared the AoE damage or if they attack a target I don't have threat on can kill them even though it barely scratches me. So with Kira I could kill a mob, be at 80% HP and she will be at 50% or less. If I have Doc he is at 100%, I am at 100% the fight may be taking a few seconds longer.

I prefer Kira at the moment. She looks awesome in the outfit I've put together for her. Also, I dinged a level whilst making sweet love to her (literally). What other companion (or MMO for that matter) allows you to do that? haha.

I'm also fond of t7, and I bring him along when I need some comedic relief. I find him funny. But he's currently running with older parts that need upgrading, so he's quite often disabled.

Doc is kind of an egotistical arse, so I've left him in the med bay to simmer.

I haven't got the the other known companions yet. But from the little rumors I've heard about them, I think their personalities will clash with my Jedi Knight's.