A way to balance Melee in Operation

I think plenty of posts and people are in agreement that the end-game operations/flashpoints favour ranged dps A LOT and you immediately alienate a large group of players in a guild in order to achieve success on the hardest modes.

There are many simple solutions that can be done to balance this out and without wanting to search through lots and lots of posts 2 basic solutions are to add extra damage dealt to ranged players and extra bonus damage provided to melee players.

Simple Aura controls would help that, where being inside that range gives you +damage and outside could take damage away or give some negative effects.

I really hope something is being done about this as for end-game raids this has already become a big issue very quickly.

maybe i'm not understanding your idea properly, but since ranged classes do not have a minimum range, it seems to me like your idea would just cause a raid to stack everyone inside. unless you are talking about the damage being similar close to the boss as it is now... in which case i think people would probably still stack on the boss.

I think plenty of posts and people are in agreement that the end-game operations/flashpoints favour ranged dps A LOT and you immediately alienate a large group of players in a guild in order to achieve success on the hardest modes.

There are many simple solutions that can be done to balance this out and without wanting to search through lots and lots of posts 2 basic solutions are to add extra damage dealt to ranged players and extra bonus damage provided to melee players.

Simple Aura controls would help that, where being inside that range gives you +damage and outside could take damage away or give some negative effects.

I really hope something is being done about this as for end-game raids this has already become a big issue very quickly.

I dont think that adding +damage aura for melee could fix that encounter design flaws - it really just creates another one.

One way around this is like you said adding some kind ranged damage, forcing most of the players (including healers) to stick in melee zone and only a few (like 3 or 4) needing to stand at range to take some kind of voidzones/projectiles/whatever spam that prefer ranged targets.

Another way is to just fix the fights like Soa so he creates mindtraps inside a melee zone or not far from the boss, cause running all the way on the other end of the platform to kill mindtrap and then running back is plain stupid when you can stack ranged classes and do the fight 10 times easier (and yeah, some melee classes can force leap or sprint, but still).

And the Bonethrasher... I can't even think of way to make it melee-friendly without reworking either the fight itself or the UI so that players can actually run away from the player targeted by the boss.

maybe i'm not understanding your idea properly, but since ranged classes do not have a minimum range, it seems to me like your idea would just cause a raid to stack everyone inside. unless you are talking about the damage being similar close to the boss as it is now... in which case i think people would probably still stack on the boss.

Yep.

You see the problem as it stands currently is that being in Melee for various reasons causes more problems with DPS and Healing than just standing away from the fight hitting from range, therefore you automatically put the ENTIRE group at a negative placement if it just has Melee players to work with. Working on Nightmare modes needing to stack ranged DPS is VERY BAD DESIGN.

The idea here would be to give a positive to balance the negative from being in melee

You guys are ignoring the simplest solution of all.

Just give every melee class a passive ability which increases the damage they do to NPC's or a debuff on those certain bosses which makes them more vulnerable to melee damage while leaving all other mechanics the same. Since inherently melee will take more damage, and spend more time moving between targets, this simple solution will fix all of the game breaking issues of the stacking of ranged DPS classes for certain encounters.

For those who say this may result in stacking melee DPS, keep in mind that because they are taking significantly more damage than ranged, it is going to put a burden on the healers, which means you would need more healers to offset the extra melee DPS. This would also allow for much more flexibility with group composition.

Regards,

KK

This is certainly an issue, but I highly doubt Bioware will do anything until more people hit 50 and start plugging away at operations. We simply don't have enough people to even get their attention on this matter.

In the meantime, I'm leveling a Gunslinger in the hopes that one day I'll be able to play my Sentinel when HM FPs and Operations aren't so melee unfriendly.