HM Lost Island - Putrid Shaclaw

My buddy and I were trying to see if we could 2-man the first "boss" of HM LI just for fun and to see if we could nab a couple more Daily Commendations. We can normally faceroll this flashpoint with 2 other players from our guild. However, when it was just the two of us (I play as Shadow tank, my buddy plays as Scoundrel healer), our companions were DPSing fine; the problem was that for some unknown reason, the boss's damage shot through the roof. I was using my cooldowns to mitigate his frenzies, and actively avoiding all reticles, but I just took way too much damage to be healed through. Is there some hidden mechanic that makes him do more damage when there are only 2 players in the instance?

... the problem was that for some unknown reason, the boss's damage shot through the roof...

From a strat guide found on the internet.

Putrid Shacklaw is a lvl 50 champion with 112,376 hp. This boss has two abilities:

- Self buff Overwhelming (Hits from these massive beasts slow targets significantly)

- Ground Marked Yellow Circles (moderate ammount of damage )

the one in red is certainly what you experiment.

You probably hit his enrage timer. Most bosses start to do increased damage after a certain amount of time has elapsed from the pull. I have never hit it on said boss, but i have seen them on other bosses, and the enrage is impossible to heal through for any extended amount of time.

indeed, you are right, the massive beast threw me off. i though i read massive hits.

i don't know then, it's possible that the damage are indeed constant, just the perception of the damage seems wrong.

Or could be that those hits from massive beast that slow you down, does actually massive damage, just the wording of the strat that is weird (or wrong).

unclear for me.

You probably hit his enrage timer. Most bosses start to do increased damage after a certain amount of time has elapsed from the pull. I have never hit it on said boss, but i have seen them on other bosses, and the enrage is impossible to heal through for any extended amount of time.

This. Unless your companions are in full rakata gear I couldnt see you beating enrage timers. Even then it would be pretty close. Make sure your using your heroic moments and popping any legacy abilities you have access to.

I agree, if your Scoundrel friend was also trying to heal the Companions (who, naturally, don't take any notice of yellow circles on the ground or anything), then he can't pay full attention to healing you. Or, if he didn't heal them, the'd die and most of your DPS goes away, hence enrage timer again.

(I assume you were in full tank set, including shield generator, for that attempt, rather than trying to DPS it down with PVP gear or anything like that?)

Plus, there's easier ways of getting Daily commendations :)

Edited by Ancaglon