Gunship One-Shots? Just Plain Dumb

DroidDreamer

I have a fully mastered drone carrier upgraded for max health and the 9% DR and even after the shield bypass nerfs I am STILL being one-shouted by gunships at full health and full shields? Come on. That's not productive for the health of GSF. It needs to be fixed. I've no problem with gunships; I enjoy mine! But rail gun one-shots are dumb and no fun.

I have no problem with the gunship role, including the area denial role. But "oh crap I better stay out of that area or I'll be killed" is different than "I'm running into battle at full health and shields and die instantly." Whatever derpy combo allows this needs a fix ASAP.

Guys. I'm not stupid. I re-spawned, flew into battle and was one-shotted. Happened twice in one match. I know what it's like to get hit with a couple of railgun shots. That wasn't it. It happened twice in one match so it could not have been two separate hits landing at one time on both one-shot occasions. I died instantly both times. Edited by DroidDreamer

Guys. I'm not stupid. I re-spawned, flew into battle and was one-shotted. Happened twice in one match. I know what it's like to get hit with a couple of railgun shots. That wasn't it. It happened twice in one match so it could not have been two separate hits landing at one time on both one-shot occasions. I died instantly both times.

You were in a deathmatch facing a gunship who had the Damage bonus upgrade which is a random drop some place on the map that makes any ship into one of the deadliest things you will ever face. It is litterally IMPOSSIBLE to do so otherwise.

You think you need a powerup to one shot with a slug? You don't. Do the math. 1750 damage extra 50% on a crit = 2625 add 28% shield penetration plus 16% more with bypass plus it completely avoids armor. It could one shot a fully upgraded Mangler.

Ok as for the fully and I mean fully upgraded drone carrier you could leave that thing with as little as 366.20 health and that is only if the drone carrier went with the strongest shields and reinforced armor.

Edited by NathanielStarr

You think you need a powerup to one shot with a slug? You don't. Do the math. 1750 damage extra 50% on a crit = 2625 add 28% shield penetration plus 16% more with bypass plus it completely avoids armor. It could one shot a fully upgraded Mangler.

Slug railgun does 1600, not 1750. If you took the 10% damage upgrade, you're not going to be landing any critical hits. So that's 2400 damage on a crit, not 2625.

And assuming bypass stacks with passive shield penetration how I think it does, the most you're ever going to do in one hit straight to the hull through full shields (unless they've hugely gimped their own shield strength through component choice, I guess) is 1056: less than any gunship varient has. An evasion built scout wouldn't survive, but that's the penalty you pay for stacking evasion.

Edited by Bleeters

I one-shot several bombers today. Maybe one was you?

In all cases, I had the damage overcharge. This makes a giant notice in your ops and screen. If your team doesn't chase the damage overcharge guy (I know I always do when the enemies get it!), then everyone deserves to get one shot.

Now, you MIGHT have a problem with damage overcharge- you shouldn't, it's a great powerup- but your issue is definitely NOT with gunships. Scouts with damage overcharge are the really crazy ones, especially the type 2 scouts. The cluster lock, when mastered, shoots two missiles for 400ish each, and only one can be evaded. That is a ton of damage with DO, and unlike the gunship, it really can't be avoided or turned off with pressure. Every DO I get, on any ship, is normally three quick kills at minimum.

I have a fully mastered drone carrier upgraded for max health and the 9% DR and even after the shield bypass nerfs I am STILL being one-shouted by gunships at full health and full shields? Come on. That's not productive for the health of GSF. It needs to be fixed. I've no problem with gunships; I enjoy mine! But rail gun one-shots are dumb and no fun.

I have no problem with the gunship role, including the area denial role. But "oh crap I better stay out of that area or I'll be killed" is different than "I'm running into battle at full health and shields and die instantly." Whatever derpy combo allows this needs a fix ASAP.

i am sorry but i call BS, i have a fully mastered gunship and fully mastered bomber, no gunship that can one shot a bomber with full hull and shields. (only possibility is deathmatch with a damage overcharge perhaps). but thats a boost available to any class of ship.

I've never been oneshot by gunships on my Pike and trust me, I get shot a lot by gunships cause I take them head on whenever I see one. I call BS as well.

EDIT: What happens a lot though, is that 2 gunships are together, focus firing on one craft at a time. Those are nasty.

Edited by Jandi

I one-shot several bombers today. Maybe one was you?

In all cases, I had the damage overcharge. This makes a giant notice in your ops and screen. If your team doesn't chase the damage overcharge guy (I know I always do when the enemies get it!), then everyone deserves to get one shot.

Now, you MIGHT have a problem with damage overcharge- you shouldn't, it's a great powerup- but your issue is definitely NOT with gunships. Scouts with damage overcharge are the really crazy ones, especially the type 2 scouts. The cluster lock, when mastered, shoots two missiles for 400ish each, and only one can be evaded. That is a ton of damage with DO, and unlike the gunship, it really can't be avoided or turned off with pressure. Every DO I get, on any ship, is normally three quick kills at minimum.

I love getting DO + Weapon Overcharge on my Flashfire in TDM. I once killed two bombers and a gunship in a heavily fortified cluster in about three seconds using this combo plus Bypass and BO. Although it's pretty sick when someone has this, I think it adds a certain amount of flavor to TDM, and I would hate to see it go. At most I think it should become a bit less common.

So yeah, although it is possible for a gunship to one shot a scout with a crit + Bypass, a bomber is another story, and so I would say you ran up against a gunship with the Damage Overcharge. Otherwise you got hit by two gunships working in concert and their shots landed close enough together to seem like one. (I've had this happen too.)

Edited by Brewski

Now, you MIGHT have a problem with damage overcharge- you shouldn't, it's a great powerup- but your issue is definitely NOT with gunships. Scouts with damage overcharge are the really crazy ones, especially the type 2 scouts.

anything to justify stupid mechanics, right?

Edited by Armonddd

You either came across someone with the damage overcharge in which case this is totally reasonable or came across two gunships working in unison. I know I run a lot with a guildie where one of us uses the ion and the other uses the slug. We basically take shots in unison and appear to one shot people.

I'm a gunship who aggressively uses damage overcharge and I still think it's kind of dumb/OP. I do think there is some merit to complaints about one-shots, especially one-shots that require an incredible amount of awareness to prevent*. In some cases (bombers) it may be literally impossible to do anything to prevent, even with perfect reaction time upon the gunship coming into range.

*I am fine with the amount of awareness gunships require you to expend in normal circumstances, where it takes two hits to kill. With one-shots and dampening you have to be tabbing through enemies and scanning through the 15km range on a 2.7-second duty cycle to guarantee survival.

I shudder to think of what damage overcharge must do to gunships if it makes my heavy lasers tick for 1000 per shot.

sometimes not always a good thing lol quite often when it flashes up with my name having damage overcharge suddenly find im being chased from all directions and hardly get to use the buff lol

in some ways gunship can be quite hard when u get damage overcharge and ya facing a average team unless they leave u alone ofc lol but when im on my scout with damage overcharge dont matter getting chased im still able to inflict high damage, as a moving gunship your not doing much damage but in games on a gunship i am left alone and i have damage overcharge its very nice like shooting fish in a barrell lol

sometimes not always a good thing lol quite often when it flashes up with my name having damage overcharge suddenly find im being chased from all directions and hardly get to use the buff lol

in some ways gunship can be quite hard when u get damage overcharge and ya facing a average team unless they leave u alone ofc lol but when im on my scout with damage overcharge dont matter getting chased im still able to inflict high damage, as a moving gunship your not doing much damage but in games on a gunship i am left alone and i have damage overcharge its very nice like shooting fish in a barrell lol

I find it to be the opposite. I get the Damage Overcharge and get 1 kill, maybe 2 because they avoid me like the plague until it ends.

My ships are only lightly upgraded (It's hard to get exp if you mostly have to fight biased fights because the enemy is stuffed to the teeth.) and i quite regularly get one shot. (Sure quite often my shield is a little damage because of some glance shoots but it was still green)

And yes that sucks...

I got set up against two guys watching each other extremely often.. (Damn i hate them) .. and my chance to kill one of them is null percent. I burst in with afterburner or even barrel role and the second i start to open fire scratching their shield i explode, snipped by the other one. They are even pestier than the ****** bombers.

I hate playing gunships as they are so boring to play but that's my only chance to also get 10 medals.