Thoughts on how to change and or balance gameplay within the game.

adegf

Disclaimer: I will be using terminology for only Empire sided classes. So no sentinels or vanguards will be mentioned here :)

Gameplay: Personally, I would change the juggernauts new ravage ability the old one before patch 5.0. But only for the Rage and Immortal specializations. As in the Rage rotation, there is enough of a delay for where this ability will be used to do more damage, adding much more in gameplay. Also do this for the Fury and or Annihilation specialization for marauder. And get rid of the "hew" ability from vengeance, as it is a turn off for me as the animation feels too slow.

Another would have to be to give back the flamethrower ability to bounty hunters, if not, at least just to Powertech. As that felt like a such bounty hunter thing to do, using your flamethrower mounted onto your wrists. But if you were to do this, make it so that it will apply a small dot onto each target affected. Instead of spreading all of your applied dots. Just to give it more of a balanced compared to that new one which replaced it.

Hehe, now, we all know how much of a bad spot sorcerers are in atm. With them being the squishiest class in the game (dps specifically).

So why not (for the dps versions only) give their quick resurgence ability a buff? As that ability specifically is one way in which they can endure against those other ranged classes for at least a little bit longer (besides using unnatural preservation).

Another MAJOR idea I have is to, depending on your force alignment, change in which animation your abilities are. Because I personally love the Guardians animations compared with the juggernauts ones. So having this will still allow me to play and talk to with the friends and guildmates I have come across. Yet still retain the advantage of essentially being able to become a "jedi" when I am a Sith. Though there will have to be some changes, such as you can turns this option off in the characterization screen, possibly underneath outfits? Also, you will have to Fully commit to one side before these changes would happen. So for instance, I will start out as a assassin and retain all the base assassin animations that they have at this current moment in time. But if I were to become light side 5? All of my abilities will instead change into that of a shadow's animation at this current moment in time. All of the abiliites will stay in the exact same position, but instead have a different animation when activated. Because I don't think a lightside sith would still use their force lightning :p As I said before, since this is only for cosmetic changes, this should be an option and can be turned off.

I am no elitist expert into any of these ideas, and do not know the complications or functions this can have. Just some ideas spouted out their, because personally, I really would like to see at least some of these implemented in the future. <3

The most important overhaul as many threads allude to is to separate utilities defensive utilities in PvE vs PvP. Damage output can be "normalized" according to the +5/0/-5% model bioware stated but the defensive utilities have to be separated as utilities that give a class the ability to dps or heal while ignoring incoming damage for a certain time is always a more stronger utility in a PvP setting and classes which have that option are stronger in PvP than classes that have to separate their offensive uptime and time to heal/or mitigate damage. In pvp each class has to be balanced that they have about equal opportunity to dps under pressure of incomming damage or get rid of those abilities that allow certain classes to do so entirely - then you have a true test of who "dps-s" more effectively and which tanks swap guard better, and which healers are more reactive and aware of hard swaps. Currently a hard swap in PvP is very hard to do if nigh impossible because defensives of the most played classes just give them "multiple lives" while some weeker classes get buned down when focused by multiple people..

Above is PvP point of view.

For PvE, the devs need to seriously look at if their new dps targets allow all classes to clear certain master mode difficulty checks, I suspect with new tier of augments it would not be a problem for any class to clear that content but that does not solve the problem that even after these dps/hps adjustments some classes are still over or under target - but devs promised slight adjustments to those numbers in the comming patches once the main adjustments up to 5.5 have been done.

OK, let's say we separate PvP and PvE versions of abilities. How does the game choose which to apply?

Is it conceivable that the PvP versions might offer some kind of specific advantage in a particular PvE content?

How I'd define it:

* All group PvE content, Ops, FPs, and Ups, uses PvE versions. End. Of. Discussion.

* Solo-but-instanced PvE content (Story FPs, Chapter and mission instances, etc.) uses PvE versions.

* Warzones use PvP versions. Obviously.

* PvE planet instances use PvE versions. (That is, zones on planets outside mission instances.)

* PvP planet instances use ... hmmm

The last one is tough to define correctly. Guild Wars 1 has PvP and PvE abilities, but there is a clear and obvious distinction between where they can be used because there are no mixed-purpose instances. If I select the PvP instance on Ilum, however, I'm in a zone that *allows* PvP but is also full of PvE stuff (NPC foes, mission clickables, etc.). Should the game use PvP or PvE versions of my abilities? What about AoE abilities? What if I hit a group with some foes and a couple of players? Which mode is that ability in?

Sure, it could be for defensives only, but which version of the Commando's reflectorbubble do we use when there are three players and two Gree droids shooting at my Commando?

Of course we can make a choice, but there will be situations where the choice isn't right. I'm thinking especially of World Bosses.

OK, let's say we separate PvP and PvE versions of abilities. How does the game choose which to apply?

Is it conceivable that the PvP versions might offer some kind of specific advantage in a particular PvE content?

How I'd define it:

* All group PvE content, Ops, FPs, and Ups, uses PvE versions. End. Of. Discussion.

* Solo-but-instanced PvE content (Story FPs, Chapter and mission instances, etc.) uses PvE versions.

* Warzones use PvP versions. Obviously.

* PvE planet instances use PvE versions. (That is, zones on planets outside mission instances.)

* PvP planet instances use ... hmmm

The last one is tough to define correctly. Guild Wars 1 has PvP and PvE abilities, but there is a clear and obvious distinction between where they can be used because there are no mixed-purpose instances. If I select the PvP instance on Ilum, however, I'm in a zone that *allows* PvP but is also full of PvE stuff (NPC foes, mission clickables, etc.). Should the game use PvP or PvE versions of my abilities? What about AoE abilities? What if I hit a group with some foes and a couple of players? Which mode is that ability in?

Sure, it could be for defensives only, but which version of the Commando's reflectorbubble do we use when there are three players and two Gree droids shooting at my Commando?

Of course we can make a choice, but there will be situations where the choice isn't right. I'm thinking especially of World Bosses.

Easy to fix: "pvp trigger on ability effects active in either warzone maps or in PvP/PvE instances ONCE a player enters a duel with another player controlled character. (or more specifically once you attack or are attacked by another player the "trigger" for any of these changed abilities activate.)

Granted this would not solve the problem that you could kill npcs with the ability changes applied but I hardly think that would be worth using, furthermore this is not a problem as a PvE exploit with this type of solution as dueling other players is not allowed in the most important strictly PvE instances: Flashpoint and operation maps anyways.

Easy to fix: "pvp trigger on ability effects active in either warzone maps or in PvP/PvE instances ONCE a player enters a duel with another player controlled character. (or more specifically once you attack or are attacked by another player the "trigger" for any of these changed abilities activate.)

Granted this would not solve the problem that you could kill npcs with the ability changes applied but I hardly think that would be worth using, furthermore this is not a problem as a PvE exploit with this type of solution as dueling other players is not allowed in the most important strictly PvE instances: Flashpoint and operation maps anyways.

Right, so when my guild goes to kill the World Boss on a shared planet, I'll come along on my other-faction character and attack them to force them into PvP mode to gain an advantage (if there is one), and that advantage will apply to the attacks against the WB. (If necessary, I'll run around tapping them with my Sorc's sabre - it's a Pub guild - to keep them in PvP mode.)

That's the problem with mixed-purpose zones and split-mode abilities. In GW1, there aren't any mixed-purpose zones - it's PvP OR it's PvE, but never both. (It can in pedantic mode be neither: when you're in town, you can't use abilities, except that even there, a town that's meant as a staging area for PvP counts as a PvP zone, whence the weirdness of a Minion Apocalypse that affected the game in 2011.)

Right, so when my guild goes to kill the World Boss on a shared planet, I'll come along on my other-faction character and attack them to force them into PvP mode to gain an advantage (if there is one), and that advantage will apply to the attacks against the WB. (If necessary, I'll run around tapping them with my Sorc's sabre - it's a Pub guild - to keep them in PvP mode.)

That's the problem with mixed-purpose zones and split-mode abilities. In GW1, there aren't any mixed-purpose zones - it's PvP OR it's PvE, but never both. (It can in pedantic mode be neither: when you're in town, you can't use abilities, except that even there, a town that's meant as a staging area for PvP counts as a PvP zone, whence the weirdness of a Minion Apocalypse that affected the game in 2011.)

Yep as I said this would not be a perfect solution but I think it would still be better then imbalances caused by not separating PvP and PvE modes. Anyways World bosses and anything not in harder difficulty operations go down fairly easily anyways. Like even stuff like Ancient Threat you can cheeze and kill with 5 people now.