Bioware spent large amounts of money on this game. Why are they so lazy?

BoredOfMMOS

D3 went through multi revisions since 2001 so to compare it to tor's development is just wrong.

Face it, this game had more then enough time to get it right and if the game took any longer it would have needed to be revised and that would have killed it in development. They blewit.

Oh I know they blew it, but I just think you're very wrong about how it could have been prevented.

Everything good is worth waiting for. Had they been more secretive about development, allowing for less pressure on a release date, creating a greater ability to produce a worthwhile game stemming from production value rather than the fan value of using the Star Wars name, this game might have survived for years to come.

Because they rushed things to make a profit, it won't.

But if you think it's wrong for a company with the largest MMO production budget to go back and 'revise' something, then you really have no idea of the value of money. No one would let the largest MMO production budget to date fail BEFORE PRODUCTION. That's just plain stupid, and if they were truly up against that type of a wall towards the end, then this game was destined to fail from the get go.

Are you so close minded that you really believe an extra year would have killed this game in production? I hear people saying 'have patience with the bugs' on these forums quite often, and while I personally do not have patience for the amount of bugs in this game currently, I would have had at least some form of mutual respect for EA if I had seen them delay the release date in order to fix these issues before they ever occurred.

But now, my 2 month game card is wasted by an unplayable game. I don't think I'm going to put my faith in this company again, seeing as they've already taken my 30 bucks and ran with it.

Oh I know they blew it, but I just think you're very wrong about how it could have been prevented.

Everything good is worth waiting for. Had they been more secretive about development, allowing for less pressure on a release date, creating a greater ability to produce a worthwhile game stemming from production value rather than the fan value of using the Star Wars name, this game might have survived for years to come.

Because they rushed things to make a profit, it won't.

But if you think it's wrong for a company with the largest MMO production budget to go back and 'revise' something, then you really have no idea of the value of money. No one would let the largest MMO production budget to date fail BEFORE PRODUCTION. That's just plain stupid, and if they were truly up against that type of a wall towards the end, then this game was destined to fail from the get go.

Are you so close minded that you really believe an extra year would have killed this game in production? I hear people saying 'have patience with the bugs' on these forums quite often, and while I personally do not have patience for the amount of bugs in this game currently, I would have had at least some form of mutual respect for EA if I had seen them delay the release date in order to fix these issues before they ever occurred.

But now, my 2 month game card is wasted by an unplayable game. I don't think I'm going to put my faith in this company again, seeing as they've already taken my 30 bucks and ran with it.

The reason why it would have died in development if it waited any longer to ship is simple. This game is NOT a next gen mmo. As time goes on industry standards get higher and that would have either forced devs to do major revisions on tor or sell an outdated product and once u start revisioning the game and rebuilding its a slippery slope that often leads to budgets drying up and dev studios closeing/being replaced. Like i said before, 5 years is more then enough.

I

If someone gave me millions of dollars and I had six figure a year salary. I'd make sure that game ran very smooth. How are people paid millions of dollars and miss something this obvious about the game. Hadn't they worked on the game years before it's release. What were they doing?

I see the same group of people (leads usually or project managers) moving from company to company... project to project like cash vampires, sucking the life out of everything they touch.

It's like a mix of politics and unregulated corporate gangsterism.

The reason why it would have died in development if it waited any longer to ship is simple. This game is NOT a next gen mmo. As time goes on industry standards get higher and that would have either forced devs to do major revisions on tor or sell an outdated product and once u start revisioning the game and rebuilding its a slippery slope that often leads to budgets drying up and dev studios closeing/being replaced. Like i said before, 5 years is more then enough.

Your point still doesn't make sense! Who's to say they could not have revised it to become a next gen MMO? If you honestly personally believed that this game was bad before you purchased it, why the hell did you even purchase it?

You're not only failing to prove your point, you're making yourself look highly uncredible while doing so.

This game is not far behind WoW in it's current state, aside from some simple quality of life issues. As to your point of selling an outdated MMO, that's exactly what they just did. And you still bought it. I have no doubt in my mind you would have still bought it 6 months down the road.

Many people were hoping for this game to be a semi-WoW clone with some advances in ingenuity and some good quality of life improvements, which would have been more than enough for the general population of subscribers.

Had they taken say, an extra year, they could have made advances that would have put this far ahead WoW in it's current state. The only thing they would have had to compete against is Mists of Pandaria, which we all know is fanboy fodder for the people who can't break their addiction to the characters they've spent so much time invested in.

Had they released this possibly a month before MoP's slated to release, they would have COMPLETELY stolen the market for MMO players who are searching for a serious MMO, as opposed to panda fluff, without even forcing them to think in terms of a 2+ year advancement on the MMO platform stage.

You're just flat out wrong in your assumptions. They would have had a better game with a longer lifetime had they held out a little longer. The Star Wars Genre has been around since the 70s. You're really telling me that people who have waited 30+ years for something of this stature to appear couldn't have waited an extra year?

That's ridiculous and you know it.

Your point still doesn't make sense! Who's to say they could not have revised it to become a next gen MMO? If you honestly personally believed that this game was bad before you purchased it, why the hell did you even purchase it?

You're not only failing to prove your point, you're making yourself look highly uncredible while doing so.

This game is not far behind WoW in it's current state, aside from some simple quality of life issues. As to your point of selling an outdated MMO, that's exactly what they just did. And you still bought it. I have no doubt in my mind you would have still bought it 6 months down the road.

Many people were hoping for this game to be a semi-WoW clone with some advances in ingenuity and some good quality of life improvements, which would have been more than enough for the general population of subscribers.

Had they taken say, an extra year, they could have made advances that would have put this far ahead WoW in it's current state. The only thing they would have had to compete against is Mists of Pandaria, which we all know is fanboy fodder for the people who can't break their addiction to the characters they've spent so much time invested in.

Had they released this possibly a month before MoP's slated to release, they would have COMPLETELY stolen the market for MMO players who are searching for a serious MMO, as opposed to panda fluff, without even forcing them to think in terms of a 2+ year advancement on the MMO platform stage.

You're just flat out wrong in your assumptions. They would have had a better game with a longer lifetime had they held out a little longer. The Star Wars Genre has been around since the 70s. You're really telling me that people who have waited 30+ years for something of this stature to appear couldn't have waited an extra year?

That's ridiculous and you know it.

u dont understand what it is to revise/upgrade the game.

Lets say they fixed the games biggest weakness, the engine. Well right there they just had to redevelop most of the game. u dont get it how much time and resources that would take. in ur mind u can fix the game in a year and thats not possible. Ur assumeing that if this game had another year that WOW wouldnt advance any or nothing else would come out that pushs the genre forward. Lets say they waited another year(not enough time to do anything major) by then Gw2 is out and the blizzard should be close to talking about there next monster project. Do u think this would compete?

The time for this game was 2008/2009. To little to late.

Lets say they fixed the games biggest weakness, the engine. Well right there they just had to redevelop most of the game. u dont get it how much time and resources that would take. in ur mind u can fix the game in a year and thats not possible. Ur assumeing that if this game had another year that WOW wouldnt advance any or nothing else would come out that pushs the genre forward. Lets say they waited another year(not enough time to do anything major) by then Gw2 is out and the blizzard should be close to talking about there next monster project. Do u think this would compete?

..and yet here you are

Here's what I don't understand. They were rumored around 2009 that they were making this game. I have the article somewhere around here. Lucas Arts and Bioware obviously had some plan for a MMO.

I don't claim to the be the sharpest knife in the drawer at all times. If a company contracts a MMO to you and gives you an insane budget into the millions. Why not take advantage of it from the start and see what everyone else see's. The problem is 'Engine"

Maybe they thought it was cost effective not to build a new engine in one of their pep talks. I just fail to wrap my head around the logic, how a small mintory group of gamer can see the problem with the game. The people making the game earning a six figure salary can't see the most obvious of issues.

It's almost shocking.

tlder:

How can a gamer see something obvious when the people earning MILLIONS for the budget fail to see it. They could have learned both from wow and everquest mistakes.

chance based pvp rewards.

open world pvp having nothing interesting about it with no good reward.

20% story 80% side quest very VERY linear you have no choice on where to go you go to X plant for X quest till you finish the main story.

PvE content provides no challenge the only challenge of bosses are bugs.

why does a new game feel like a worn out rag after a month.

Looking at your name... seems like you've chosen the wrong game to play.

-chance is always a staple of mmos, and right now, the rewards aren't very chance based- Champ gear is practically as good as BM, most people aren't BM- and they made champ gear no longer chance based due to listening to what the community wanted.

-all story based games are either linear, or have poor story- I have never played a sandbox with a gripping story- why? Cuz there's nothing piecing different parts together- consider Skyrim, what you do with one questline has zip all to do with any other. SW has a linear progression, which appeals to some people, and doesn't to others- do you complain about how movies and books go from start to finish too? If anything, it's sandbox games that are lazy, just throwing a bunch of random events all over and saying 'go get'm'.

-although you have easily beaten every ops boss on nightmare, 99.9% of players haven't- games can't and don't cater to that 0.1% anymore. I congratulate you for being in that top group that has the time, will and skill to thrash endgame content, but you're a minority

- bugs are a part of games- even WoW regularly has bugs in their bosses, and especially in vanilla and BC relied on absolutely mind numbingly stupid gating techniques

to be fair im only running out the rest of my sub. I really wanted this game to be good but its not for me. Disappointment, yea thats all thats left.

You know, as much as i disagree with you, in that had they spent some more time to fix the engine itself along with all the exploit openings and bugs that are occuring this might have been a very successful game, a point which we could theoretically debate for pages, what you just said is the truth.

When my game card runs out, I'm outta here. I just can't trust a company when their business policies are so obviously focused on the profit behind the game as opposed to the ideals of making an amazing piece of entertainment.

I too am dissappointed in them. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about our other points, though. =P