To KOTFE Writers: Bowdaar--HUGE Disappointment (SPOILERS!)

MaryEO

Yeah... they start killing off companions wholesale, they'll have a riot on their hands, with the way more than a few players are attached to the comps. I don't think that's what Bioware really wants.

We'll have Torian-55 on the Cartel Market for 2200 CC. Collections wide unlock for only 1200CC!

CAUTION: This whole post could be a spoiler if you haven’t played the smuggler all the way through or done the KOTFE (FE) Bowdaar quest.

So I did the Bowdaar quest on my main character (smuggler) last night. It was all right except for one thing, and I must say that this is the first time I have felt horribly disappointed in KOTFE. I know people complain about this and that with it, but it’s mostly an immersive, entertaining story.

Speaking of immersive, that is how I play, that’s where the most fun is. It’s the story that engages me most, and some of these chapters put me through the wringer they were so well done.

So my girl goes to talk to Bowdaar and she DOESN’T ASK HIM ABOUT THE REST OF HER CREW?! (Corso most particularly since she married him, has been committed to him to the point when she dies, she wants it to be in his arms.)

Come on, writers! What’s wrong with you? You couldn’t put one little question in there? Like “Where did everybody go?” (My heart would have it that the first thing she’d ask is “Where’s Corso?” but then they’d have had to make it even more specific, so I can grant them leeway not doing that.) But NOTHING? Just one option of saying she’d been thinking of all of them. That’s ridiculous. I don’t care if it’s been months for her, she’s not fickle and love doesn’t just dry up while there’s hope, even when there is no hope. She’d want to know what he knew. She’d really want to know everything that happened after she was taken. But just like the mysterious reappearance of her ship, no explanation is expected about those details. But believe me, she’d want to know all of it.

So all the writers had to do is put that question in—where did they go? Bowdaar doesn’t have to know. How difficult would it have been to have him say he didn’t know? It’s not like they were paying a voice actor for an extra line.

So disappointing! And this whole thing could apply to any of the classes where they’re meeting up with one of their old crew. My male smuggler would be the same way about Akaavi, my knight about Doc, even though I’ve not taken either into FE. Even my trooper, who I have played FE with, didn’t get satisfaction out of any of her old crew about Aric, but she would have the luxury of assuming that they were all reassigned by military superiors—not so the other classes. (At least her reunion with Aric was nice, so good job on that, writers.)

Even if you didn’t romance one of the companions, there was probably somebody on the crew you’d want to see again and ask about. How could you make the story so engaging, then just drop the ball, writers? I know a lot of people (myself included) have found it frustrating that once the characters became involved, married, etc., no further evidence of that was ever offered in regular game play.

Again, so disappointed! The biggest fail in FE so far for me. You want me to be engaged by this, writers, stop forgetting one of the main things that made it so enjoyable in the first place.

From what I remember, he DOES mention Corso. You have to pick the dialogue about going to live on a ranch with a man with no shirt on. Bowdaar then says Corso 'wept like no other warrior has' and got his shoulder all wet from his tears.

So I went back to see what the dialogue choice was and see why I didn't choose it. It said something like "putting my little farm-hand out to pasture, sans shirt of course." My take was she doesn't have Corso, who is she talking about? Replacing him with some boy-toy? That's why I didn't pick it. I should have known the writers would handle such a thing in a flip manner, when it's anything but flippant to her. After the vows they made, she would not be flip. If they'd added something to the effect that she wished she could do that with Corso, sure. Instead it was vague and puzzling. "Out to pasture?" That's almost like she's getting rid of him. Anyway, I guess I'll just have to be prepared to escape out of any future such scenes to see what all the choices bring. :/

Also, after Bowdaar tells her what you said, how could the writers not think she'd ask where Corso is? Sheesh.

Well, in their defense, they write the stories with how the PC is typically. One has to REALLY read every sentence, or listen very closely, before choosing an answer. Smugglers, in general and not how we RP them, are goofy like Han Solo is/was. Smugglers crack jokes about everything. They're basically clowns. So the option for the female Smuggler was actually spot on. I didn't realize it WAS about Corso when I chose it, I was just being a goof ball. So I was like 'well, she's supposedly a flirt, even if she's happily married to Corso and has two daughters with him via legacy tree.' Plus, I remembered the letter Corso had sent my smuggler after they married mentioning the Ranch, so I said 'meh, why the hell not'. And I got the bit about Corso weeping for her.

As I said, I KNOW people RP their characters a certain way THEY seem them. But if you want any info about your wife or husband, you have to choose answers based on the letters you were sent by your husband/wife after marriage, your General every single class, personality and how that companion is in your story.

It sucks, and a lot of people finished their character 3-5 years ago so they've forgotten alot of the subtle things, but that's what I've picked up from having 3-5 of each class to equal 36 characters (plus some on alt servers I've made and played).

From what I remember, he DOES mention Corso. You have to pick the dialogue about going to live on a ranch with a man with no shirt on. Bowdaar then says Corso 'wept like no other warrior has' and got his shoulder all wet from his tears.

And then we get into the debate about "but MY smuggler would never say anything like that!" ...which mine wouldn't. Heck, if I had my way, my smuggler's dialogue to Bowdaar (immediately upon meeting him) would be "TELL ME WHERE CORSO IS OR I'LL RIP YOUR ARMS OFF AND FEED THEM TO YOU, YOU USELESS WALKING CARPET!!!" And then proceed to (ineffectually) beat him up until he told her what happened to Corso.

...what can I say. My smuggler lady loves her husband. A lot. And hearing about him crying... :(

Seriously, though - it's kind of a disappointment that you don't at least get to ask about them. All Bowdaar has to say, to keep it vague enough for any future story, is something like "I lost contact with them, sorry - but I know they're still alive." But...no. Sigh...

Yeah... they start killing off companions wholesale, they'll have a riot on their hands, with the way more than a few players are attached to the comps. I don't think that's what Bioware really wants.

I'm more of those who'd go nuts if they killed them off for s & g. Heck, I get irritated when players do it and I'm not paying their sub.

And then we get into the debate about "but MY smuggler would never say anything like that!" ...which mine wouldn't. Heck, if I had my way, my smuggler's dialogue to Bowdaar (immediately upon meeting him) would be "TELL ME WHERE CORSO IS OR I'LL RIP YOUR ARMS OFF AND FEED THEM TO YOU, YOU USELESS WALKING CARPET!!!" And then proceed to (ineffectually) beat him up until he told her what happened to Corso.

...what can I say. My smuggler lady loves her husband. A lot. And hearing about him crying... :(

Seriously, though - it's kind of a disappointment that you don't at least get to ask about them. All Bowdaar has to say, to keep it vague enough for any future story, is something like "I lost contact with them, sorry - but I know they're still alive." But...no. Sigh...

Same. I RP my characters like they're their own person, but there's alot of me in real life in my characters too. Goofiness. Love. Forgiveness. Family. Never cheating, etc. So when Bowdaar told me Corso cried buckets on him, I wanted to rip the place apart (all the galaxy) looking for him. Did you read his chapter 3/4 letter? He goes to get you more whatever it is you like from Coruscant. :(

I know people will kill companions. Even the ones I am married to like Quinn or Jorgan...but with so much of me in my characters I just want my husbands back. I'm VERY glad next chapter my BH will get her husband back and from what Bioware said in the stream, it might (operative word being might) be even better than the reunion between Jorgan and married Fem Trooper. (Especially since Torian basically thinks you're dead and is going on a vendetta rampage). *sigh*

Damnit, Bioware, quit making me feel so much for pixels!!

There's a Risha line too that was a little more obvious perhaps than the Coros - Farm boy reference. It was something like,

"I hardly expected to lead a 'normal' life. I did marry a firey pirate queen after all."

And Bowdaar mentioned how he had never seen "Red Mane" so "empty". I thought it was well done, but I definitely concede that it sounds like they may have buried the lead with asking about Corso.

I'm more of those who'd go nuts if they killed them off for s & g. Heck, I get irritated when players do it and I'm not paying their sub.

I sort of hope they do kill off high influence companions. It's high time they made "choices matter' true.

Yes, exactly. I just forgot how these writers do the character, so I missed it. And, yeah, and that bit about him crying, well, that tears me up and I didn't even see Bowdaar say it. My girl would lose all her hard-won objectivity and have to go out and kill something. Being frustrated about Corso was her reason for fighting in that arena anyway!

Maybe one of the writers will hear us and toss us a bone the next time we recruit one of our crew, and do the same for the rest of the classes. At least I'm not the only one. :::sigh:::

Well, in their defense, they write the stories with how the PC is typically. One has to REALLY read every sentence, or listen very closely, before choosing an answer. Smugglers, in general and not how we RP them, are goofy like Han Solo is/was. Smugglers crack jokes about everything. They're basically clowns. So the option for the female Smuggler was actually spot on. I didn't realize it WAS about Corso when I chose it, I was just being a goof ball. So I was like 'well, she's supposedly a flirt, even if she's happily married to Corso and has two daughters with him via legacy tree.' Plus, I remembered the letter Corso had sent my smuggler after they married mentioning the Ranch, so I said 'meh, why the hell not'. And I got the bit about Corso weeping for her.

As I said, I KNOW people RP their characters a certain way THEY seem them. But if you want any info about your wife or husband, you have to choose answers based on the letters you were sent by your husband/wife after marriage, your General every single class, personality and how that companion is in your story.

It sucks, and a lot of people finished their character 3-5 years ago so they've forgotten alot of the subtle things, but that's what I've picked up from having 3-5 of each class to equal 36 characters (plus some on alt servers I've made and played).

You know, lesson learned. I certainly remember all three letters Corso sent, and then the FE letter, and I DID think about what he said when I saw that convo choice. But it confused me, so I didn't pick it. Next time, though, I won't miss the clues, even if it's NOT what my character would typically say as far as I'm concerned.

I sort of hope they do kill off high influence companions. It's high time they made "choices matter' true.

I hope NOT. There's plenty of other areas for "choices to matter" rather than mucking about with long standing companions.

You know, lesson learned. I certainly remember all three letters Corso sent, and then the FE letter, and I DID think about what he said when I saw that convo choice. But it confused me, so I didn't pick it. Next time, though, I won't miss the clues, even if it's NOT what my character would typically say as far as I'm concerned.

Trust me, I feel you. There's times I look at the dialogue wheel or the KOTOR style way they do things and I'm like 'what the **** is this?' but if it's close I choose it.

I was surprised when my female sith war met up with Vette, one of her BFFs, and Vette cracked a joke about me dreaming of Quinn, and hopefully seeing him with her shock collar on while on his hands and knees...I was like 'damn, Vette, you're kinky!' And I chose something my RP warrior might say and got the bit where I 'forgave him long ago'.

I'm still waiting for Torian to show up next month. THAT will be interesting. And I didn't realize Gault would tell me EVERYONE went looking for me, including Skadge, but they went broke and split up.

I like to maintain in my head (whether it's mentioned or not by the companions you meet up with again) that after the initial confrontation with the Eternal Fleet when you were on Marr's ship, they all flew back to where you last were and spent days looking for you. When that didn't work, they waited maybe a few months to a year wondering if you were a POW or KIA. Then when you still didn't come back and no one either cared (like Andronikos and Quinn mention of them asking Dromund Kaas/Sith Dark council *** you were), they all went into their own forms of a massive depression, couldn't stand being on your ship anymore, and took off to fight the Zakuul/Eternal Empire in your name because they wanted revenge. Sure, people like Kaliyo might/do deny it, but they lost their husband/wife, best friend, a good thing they had.

My male Smuggler married Akaavi and I do believe you get to mention her. This is best I can remember

"I can imagine me and Akaavi settling down. For few months."

Forgotten what Bowdaar said but made me laugh sonce I can imagine Akaavi not settling down and would want to go on more crazy adventures with me.

If *they* kill off the companions unavoidably, that's not a choice the player, that's Bioware killing them off.

If there's a "kill one companion or the other" "choice" that's put in, that's not a choice, that's contrived "drama".

the ones we ask DONT have to know. But the interaction should be there regardless

Yeah, I don't expect them to tell me because for all I know the writer's haven't yet decided where they all went to yet. But this is the one thing I've been waiting a long time for: more story with our important companions. (Class story too but that's gone.) I think I finished all the imperial classes in 2011/12, and by gosh I want to ask where my spouses are even if they can't say for sure.

I really appreciated the conversation with Vette. I could talk about the one I really wanted to see and I could set the tone of the conversation even if she didn't offer coordinates, heh. My character could talk about it and stop acting like Commander Generic Class Hero Robot for a short time. (I don't mean to sound too cynical but sometimes my character doesn't seem very human; doesn't seem to have feelings or be affected much by her situation.)

If *they* kill off the companions unavoidably, that's not a choice the player, that's Bioware killing them off.

If there's a "kill one companion or the other" "choice" that's put in, that's not a choice, that's contrived "drama".

Hmmm, I always picked Ashley over Kaidan.

I had to watch youtube videos to find out what ME2/ME3 was like if you let her die instead.

Yeah, not best pleased with how this is working out. It seems to be just overlooking important bits of our characters' previous lives.

Wish they'd handled this differently, for sure.

*puts on his tinfoil hat*

Between the crazy leveling speed, the by default hidden sidequests and the lvl 60 tokens I sometimes think that they don't really want us playing the 1-55 content anymore as it could remind players that they once got 8 class stories and later at least 2 completely different story lines complete with their own sidequests and heroics for the same subcription fee that now only gets you a one size fits all story with no more group content in development.

But hey, don't we(and I really mean every single one of us) just love being the outlander?!:rak_01:

Trust me, I feel you. There's times I look at the dialogue wheel or the KOTOR style way they do things and I'm like 'what the **** is this?' but if it's close I choose it.

I was surprised when my female sith war met up with Vette, one of her BFFs, and Vette cracked a joke about me dreaming of Quinn, and hopefully seeing him with her shock collar on while on his hands and knees...I was like 'damn, Vette, you're kinky!' And I chose something my RP warrior might say and got the bit where I 'forgave him long ago'.

I'm still waiting for Torian to show up next month. THAT will be interesting. And I didn't realize Gault would tell me EVERYONE went looking for me, including Skadge, but they went broke and split up.

I like to maintain in my head (whether it's mentioned or not by the companions you meet up with again) that after the initial confrontation with the Eternal Fleet when you were on Marr's ship, they all flew back to where you last were and spent days looking for you. When that didn't work, they waited maybe a few months to a year wondering if you were a POW or KIA. Then when you still didn't come back and no one either cared (like Andronikos and Quinn mention of them asking Dromund Kaas/Sith Dark council *** you were), they all went into their own forms of a massive depression, couldn't stand being on your ship anymore, and took off to fight the Zakuul/Eternal Empire in your name because they wanted revenge. Sure, people like Kaliyo might/do deny it, but they lost their husband/wife, best friend, a good thing they had.

I will definitely be choosing the "close" option from now on.

I totally agree that they went looking. I know Corso did because he said so in the letter. I imagine they all waited at Port Nowhere for several months, grieving, and I could see Corso just running away suddenly the way he did after his family was killed. I think he either went to Zakuul to continue looking (and maybe found out what happened and got himself frozen in carbonite for attempting to break her out), or he went off to find Rona, his only family left, and she'd gotten pregnant, married, settled down on a farm, so that's where he went. Just some fun ideas, though I think the imprisoned one is likely because Arcann made no secret about the outlander who killed Valkorian, and if there were any images of her shown, Corso would then know. Besides, it would require a rescue mission to get him out. I even entertained the notion that Lana knows where he is, but doesn't tell the captain because she's afraid she'll risk everything just to go after him.

Okay, I spend far too much time thinking about all this, I know. (But that's what happens when you get so invested that you have to write the whole class story and all the parts they didn't put in.)

I'm glad they're doing good things with the reunions with other classes. I watched a vid of the agent/Kaliyo romanced reunion, and while that was not even remotely romantic, it seemed to fit what little I know of Kaliyo from acquiring her. I've only played an Sith Assassin (and not too far yet) so I haven't played those others yet, but I liked Vette and am looking forward to playing a warrior just for that relationship.

You actually can talk about Corso to Bowdaar and get a brief response, but the conversation option is not obvious. I'll have to dig out my fraps video if you want the actual lines, but it's the part where Bowdaar says something about how after all his adventures with you, he found that he was craving the simple life for a change. You can respond with something like (going from memory here), "Yeah, I could see settling on Dantooine while my farmboy works the lands, sans shirt of course." Then Bowdaar replies about how Corso was devastated when he lost you and cried on Bowdaar's shoulder for months. It was really sweet. Although I wish I could have been like, "Soooo...where's Corso now??" But I couldn't. :(

Well, I have looked and looked and no one has posted a vid that I can find of Bowdaar's comment about Corso. I would just like to read the words he said, if not see it. Can you post that, please? : ) I'm killing myself over this. : /

Well, I have looked and looked and no one has posted a vid that I can find of Bowdaar's comment about Corso. I would just like to read the words he said, if not see it. Can you post that, please? : ) I'm killing myself over this. : /

No problem! Here is the part of the conversation about Corso:

Bowdaar: "When I was left on my own to decide, I decided to try a simple life."

Smuggler: "I've considered it myself. Maybe settle down on some quiet ranch and put my little farm-hand out to pasture. Sans shirt, of course." (Choice #2)

Bowdaar: "Corso....He wept as no warrior would want to be seen. Such is his care for you. My shoulder was damp for months."

Then he goes on to the part of about honoring you every life day.

So Bowdaar and Corso stayed together for a few months, but Bowdaar still didn't tell me where he left him when they parted ways. I mean, any hint would be welcome, you know!

No problem! Here is the part of the conversation about Corso:

Bowdaar: "When I was left on my own to decide, I decided to try a simple life."

Smuggler: "I've considered it myself. Maybe settle down on some quiet ranch and put my little farm-hand out to pasture. Sans shirt, of course." (Choice #2)

Bowdaar: "Corso....He wept as no warrior would want to be seen. Such is his care for you. My shoulder was damp for months."

Then he goes on to the part of about honoring you every life day.

So Bowdaar and Corso stayed together for a few months, but Bowdaar still didn't tell me where he left him when they parted ways. I mean, any hint would be welcome, you know!

Bless you for sharing! Thanks so much! I think Corso probably just ran off one day, but it sure would have been nice to get a hint! :::sigh::: You know she had to ask later. Just like all the other convos we never see, such as telling Lana about her night in the woods. Did she or didn't she? Does anyone know Valkorian left her? So many balls dropped.