Solo Que Matchmaking has a Serious Flaw - Data Inside

Skolops

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

Thank you for continuing to report on the issue. Just to reiterate, we are actively looking through our matchmaking to ensure that there aren't any erroneous bugs causing these mismatches to happen. I will report back should we find anything!

Thanks.

-eric

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

Thank you for continuing to report on the issue. Just to reiterate, we are actively looking through our matchmaking to ensure that there aren't any erroneous bugs causing these mismatches to happen. I will report back should we find anything!

Thanks.

-eric

Is there such a thing as a non-erroneous bug? :p

Anyway, we appreciate that you're looking into it.

Edited by DarthSpiriah

Hey everyone,

Thanks.

-eric

Perhaps it's not a bug. Is the system designed to put together players with similar ratings onto a team? And then match that team up against another team? If so, then what you'd get is exactly what players are experiencing. Two teams with similar internal ratings, but vastly different ratings from the other team.

Also: please implement cross-server queue'ing. The game's population cannot support the current system.

Perhaps it's not a bug. Is the system designed to put together players with similar ratings onto a team? And then match that team up against another team? If so, then what you'd get is exactly what players are experiencing. Two teams with similar internal ratings, but vastly different ratings from the other team.

Also: please implement cross-server queue'ing. The game's population cannot support the current system.

That sounds like what is happening. You are being grouped with players that have the same rating for your team but not for the team you are facing.

They have already said cross-server is not happening. Engine can't do it.

That sounds like what is happening. You are being grouped with players that have the same rating for your team but not for the team you are facing.

They have already said cross-server is not happening. Engine can't do it.

This is what I have seen as well.

Then the future of this game's PvP is dead.

The solo matchmaking system in this game is utter dog**** and is a reason why the developers of this game need to be replaced. In no world other than one of pure unadulterated frustration should players truly be randomly matchmade for ranked games. In no world should a team of 1100s be going against a team of 2000s and still lose even a single rating point for it. In no world should that team of 1100 beat a team of 2000s (by some miracle) and only gain 20 rating.

The lack of 2s, 3s, or even cooperative ques in this so called "Arena ladder" is so beyond broken that I can't really even justify wasting my time with it anymore.

If you are not a vanguard/pt with a broken hybrid spec, or an operative healer, you cannot begin to carry the amount of garbage that enters these games.

Players who do 11k damage overall, in dps spec, players who dont heal, players who just stand there and die.

You don't give me 2s, and 4v4 is a lesson in misery as only one real team comp will ever que.

Who thought this would be a good idea? They need to be slapped.

I cannot wait for Warlords of Draenor to launch with an actually realized and balanced PVP ladder. Say what you want about WoW's PVP but even if you shamelessly copied their ranking system you'd have a better solution than the garbage that took the ToR team 2 years to cook up.

I'm a very good shadow, a "Regstar" if you will. I can put out 250k damage and 70k protection in a game easily. But there is no way to compensate for the unbelievable stupidity that you get when quing in this game. There is no *********** reason it should exist in such a way.

This is the credited level of righteous anger.

^this

This is exactly my guess - it picks 4 players with similar ranks and pairs them with the next group with similar ranks. 4 highest followed by the next 4 highest...

This is what I have seen as well.

Then the future of this game's PvP is dead.

Sadly this is pretty much the truth. PVP requires cross-server pvp to succeed, and even then... idk, the community has shrunken down so much I'm not sure it'd be sustainable at that point either.

I am pretty surprised to see 2 dev posts in the same thread IN THE PVP FORUMS! This is a moment we should all celebrate. They added space pvp, they got class reps and took input from those reps, then they communicated in the pvp forums.

Who knows, maybe the game won't die after all.

Edited by JP_Legatus

This is exactly my guess - it picks 4 players with similar ranks and pairs them with the next group with similar ranks. 4 highest followed by the next 4 highest...

It should pick eight people and find the best way to average out their ratings vs each other. If the system works as you and others think it does, that is just absurd. Though clearly, to a significant degree, backed up with screenshots and other methods of proof.

I was in a match that paired 4 tanks against 4 healers in a arena match. no one could kill ne one and of course the healers won in the end when the gas came the matchmaking if there is any is flawed.

I'm guessing that was a reg arena and not ranked. So no there is no matchmaking in regs.

The reading comprehension of some people is just so lacking. Read the OP- closely. Cross-server queues provide ZERO POINT ZERO precent of a solution to the problem cited. As others have pointed out, just by rearranging the team designations of the exact eight people that queued, you can get a near perfect match. You don't need the complication of more people from other servers. Cross server queues might improve the variance within teams, but that's a second-order tweak which is a distant concern relative to the OP's identified problem. Don't distract from the core problem.

Would it be so bad for Bioware, if they just released the algorithm they used for translating points on wins and losses and for queuing? This problem could be fixed in hours with as many people willing to take a look at the code as are reading this thread. There is nothing remotely proprietary in that code. Also, I can't think of any problems that would be created in terms of gaming the system. ELO systems used in Chess are 100% transparent and "gaming" doesn't compromise those rankings.

We need to get to the point where solving the problem is more important that keeping some non-proprietary code confidential. Getting more eyes looking at the problem is the best way to do that. There is no reason to keep the players working blind. Much more complicated code is fixed on a daily basis in the open source world.

Edited by jtrain

So just for the record and in case any of the dev's are still checking this thread, Yolo is still super broken. On 12-3-13 went up against Devil and Count Crotchula on the same team and on 12-4-13 Went against Count and Worldofwarcraft, for those of you that don't know, those players are ranked #1 for their class. Didn't bother to take screen shots or check other people ranks, I just know those guys by name and ranking, and in no way shape or form should they be paired on the same team. Another disturbing trend are player using ranked to gear up "because it's so much quicker then regs" Talking greens and two pieces of pvp gear with crap pve gear. Really hope they get this fixed and can't wait for resets and season 2.

So just for the record and in case any of the dev's are still checking this thread, Yolo is still super broken. On 12-3-13 went up against Devil and Count Crotchula on the same team and on 12-4-13 Went against Count and Worldofwarcraft, for those of you that don't know, those players are ranked #1 for their class. Didn't bother to take screen shots or check other people ranks, I just know those guys by name and ranking, and in no way shape or form should they be paired on the same team. Another disturbing trend are player using ranked to gear up "because it's so much quicker then regs" Talking greens and two pieces of pvp gear with crap pve gear. Really hope they get this fixed and can't wait for resets and season 2.

But now there is Space PvP, your argument is invalid.

Another disturbing trend are player using ranked to gear up "because it's so much quicker then regs" Talking greens and two pieces of pvp gear with crap pve gear. Really hope they get this fixed and can't wait for resets and season 2.

If matchmaking works and we have 12+ people per faction queuing this shouldn't be a problem.

If matchmaking is broken or we have less than 12 people queuing solo ranked during primetime then that is the problem, not undergeared players queuing.

TANGENT: wouldn't you want to queue regs to get your regular comms for Conq first? queuing rated and converting rated comms to buy conq seems less than optimal.

TANGENT: wouldn't you want to queue regs to get your regular comms for Conq first? queuing rated and converting rated comms to buy conq seems less than optimal.

It is. Doing ranked WZ before getting a full set of conq is probably slowing you down in reality because you will not have the conq item to turn in for Obroan, making getting ranked comms more quickly kind of pointless. Once you have a full set of conq though it makes sense.

It is. Doing ranked WZ before getting a full set of conq is probably slowing you down in reality because you will not have the conq item to turn in for Obroan, making getting ranked comms more quickly kind of pointless. Once you have a full set of conq though it makes sense.

Which is totally fine. Its just not fine to get 1200 players against a team with 2-4 2k+ players. Really not fun for anyone involved.

Sweet. Another genius that can't read.

no cross server is part of the problem though.

it's obvious their whole matchmaking in general is bugged, along with how much rating you win/lose in relation to your own rating.

however, there just isn't the population there anymore, for solo or team. even if bioware throws a hailmary and miraculously pulls x server out of their ***, we'd have maybe ~60 teams for the first week or so, and then most would get farmed out of playing.

the only chance to save rated pvp under the current system is to make it so only team ranked rewards rated comms. no solo queue, no warzone dailies, no converting comms. pvp is dying fast and it won't be long before solo or team is dead altogether (if it already isn't on some servers)