Brand new. This is my first MMO.

armeniaforever

So I decided to check this game out once I discovered it had become F2P. About a week later I subscribed, and it seems like that was a solid choice.

What I've discovered is that I NEED help. Lots of it. :confused:I've got 2 friends who are going to play and after talking with them a bit about class roles, I decided I'd like to try to be a Juggernaut/Tank. I of course don't know anything about tanking except that I need to draw aggro/keep targets attention on me and use my taunt ability as much as possible.

I've done a bit of research into trying to build a pure Tank for later PVP and Flashpoint use. (First time doing PVP was a day or two ago. I got annihilated.:() I however can't seem to level my tank effectively and I'm not sure which skill tree I should invest in and what abilities I should pick.

When it comes to crew skills, I'm completely lost :confused:. I've sent vette on several Treasure Hunt missions, but I don't know what to do with the other skills. The artifice skill I have currently has saber mods I can build which are much worse than the ones I've picked up from quests and loot. I've heard slicing is a good way to make money, which is something I desperately need. So to sum it up regarding crew skills: Help!!!

Someone in one of the general chats mentioned I should get myself in a guild. I however have no idea of what guild I should join or would let me join. So if any of you would be willing to take me under your wing, I'd greatly appreciate it and attempt to return the favor once I establish myself in the "non suckage department". I currently have a level 22 Sith Warrior Juggernaut I'm using.

Tips? Advice? Comments? ..... Death threats?

Im in the Shadowlands Server btw.

Edited by armeniaforever

It's alot to learn, I PvP alot so as far as that's concerned I'd say respec your character to DPS instead of tank for now. While leveling your class missions and just starting out PvP its easier to just kill things while you learn the ropes. Especially lower level tank when you're haven't gotten all your tank skills yet.

Respec in the same area as the class trainers on fleet, far left "cubicle", it's free if you're a subscriber. As far as a good juggernaut spec search Google or goto the juggernaut sub forum here on swtor.

Come back to tanking later in your class after you've leveled and learned the ropes of PvP, roundabout lv 35-40. I it will also be easier leveling the class missions because they mostly focus on you killing things by yourself, tanking is more of a (valuable) group tactic.

Edited by Kerensk

What server are you on?

Guilds:

You see them in General occasionally, advertising for new members. You can also ask on General if any are recruiting.

Don't be afraid to join a guild, it doesn't cost you anything.

Tanking:

If you are levelling with your companion, don't worry so much about drawing and holding aggro, that is more for Flashpoints and Operations where you have other player roles (healer, dps,dps).

Levelling:

Most 'mobs' consist of a strong and 2 or 3 standard/weak npc's (npc = non-player character). Target/kill the weaker ones first. Try not to pull more than one mob at a time.

Make sure you have the right gear (heavy with strength mods). Same goes for your companion (check their main stat for what they need).

Crew Skills:

Visit your crew skill trainer to learn new schematics. More will come available as your crafting skill increases. Most of the stuff you create is 'green'. You reverse engineer greens to get blue schematics (takes between 1 and 20 re's on average. The math wiz's at bw think this means 20%). You reverse engineer blues to get purples. You send your companions on missions to either increase your mission/gathering skill or to try to get necessary materials for something you want to build. If you try to balance crew skills with crafting, you probably won't be able to make better items until you get closer to level 30. Don't try to make everything, just pick what you think you will need and work on that. For example, start crafting the Might hilts and re-ing them to build up your crafting skills. Note that you can also re some loot for mats.

Tanking: Figure out a rotation that effectively manages your resource and puts out the most damage/threat possible. Damage = threat but threat =/= damage, there are some abilities (such as backhand) that generate a large amount of threat for less damage. You want to be a Juggernaut, first max out the Immortal tree. That is the tanking tree.

Crew Skills: If you don't know what you're doing, read your Codex for each crew skill. If you're an unguilded tank, Biochem would be a wise investment for the reusable stims and medpacks. The matching skills are diplomacy and bioanalysis. Level up all 3 skills and RE greens to blues to purples. If you're not interested in medpacks or crafting, grab one of the mission skills in demand (I'd probably go with Diplomacy) one of the gathering skills in demand (Scavenging or Bioanalysis) and Slicing.

Hello, I read your post and thought maybe u might want more people to play with. This was my first mmo too and even after a couple months I am still learning. Anyway I am on shadowlands server too and I have my own guild on pub side. It's very small but we are all active and friendly and willing to help. We also play imp side and 2 of us just got our toons to 21. We are thinking of making an imp guild too. We mainly play pub side so far, but since we just got our mains to 50, I at least want to play my maurader more often. I am the most active of us all, and I prefer not to play alone, so I just thought I would ask if you are interested :). Oh and I have a friend with several level 50s who has been playing since the game started so if I can't answer your questions, he can :cool: Happy gaming!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask on the forum; I would say that the majority of SWTOR subscribers would be willing to help you out -- there is one thing to remember on the forums :-) The people that make the most 'noise' can sometimes appear to be the dominant faction, but they are not in the majority. I would hate for you to get the wrong message about SWTOR by thinking that the game is dominated by people that have nothing better to do than glue themselves to the forum(s) and b*tch all day long! You need to take whatever they have to say very lightly. If you hang around the forums long enough you will become familiar with the regular whiners; pessimistic, unhappy people...

I hope you enjoy SWTOR and I'm glad that you decided to become a subscriber! If you have any questions feel free to ask the forum community, but please try to ignore the bottom-feeders and trolls! We have our share of lowlifes and bad apples just like any community; however, they only represent a very small fraction of the entire population...