Greater choice selection in mainhands/offhand gear.

MeanMartian

I'm jealous of Sergeant Dorne. You see, she's a commando who heals, but uses a PISTOL! That is awesome! She knows she's not the heavy artillery and so she doesn't act like it. She brings a capable single-handed weapon, and like a good medic, leaves a hand free to utilize any number of medical tools. If that weapon set-up was an option to players, I would consider playing a commando medic, as things are, the idea of healing while running around with a BFG just offends me on an aesthetic level so I'm not going to touch it.

Making it possible for commandos, or even troopers, to equip pistols has almost no mechanical drawback. The aim pistols are in game, Bounty Hunters use them, but a commando is never going to roll against a Bounty Hunter for that piece of gear. If redoing the loot tables for Republic specific missions is too much work, troopers can use orange quality pistols and extract the needed barrels/mods/enhancements/crystals from the auto-cannons they'd be rolling for anyway.

Now, will this lead to a horde of screaming scoundrels demanding vibro-blades and vibro-blade animations? It might even lead to an operative or two wondering what it would be like to ambush with a scatter gun. Please feel free to speculate about how awesome it would be to go down this slippery slope.

I just never understood why commandos have the BFG and not the vanguards. I agree that commandos should be running around, multitasking. However I don't know why they decided on giving them the bigger gun. They should switch the weapons between them. Giving them the options for pistols though would give them more selection freedom than other classes. Baby steps- switch their guns!

Ha, try Sniper.

We use a rifle/sniper rifle and a vibroknife.

But in cut scenes we also use a pistol to kill or intimidate people. Yet as class we can't use a pistol...

At least let me chose what pistol I wear instead of that old rusty thing from the last millennium.

Ha, try Sniper.

We use a rifle/sniper rifle and a vibroknife.

But in cut scenes we also use a pistol to kill or intimidate people. Yet as class we can't use a pistol...

At least let me chose what pistol I wear instead of that old rusty thing from the last millennium.

The exact same thing happens in trooper cutscenes. The pistol comes out and you're covering some Imps, then things go bad and the BFG is suddenly in hand and being used to gun people down.

Allowing agents, of one type or another, access to cunning pistols would be another mechanically neutral change, given that cunning pistols already exist, and are rolled on by nobody on the Imperial side. Plus, it always seemed weird to me when a spy shows up with a carbine strapped to his back. Way to stay inconspicuous buddy.

Edited by MeanMartian