World Bosses and server firsts

Achievements are for when the game gets boring and you need something to occupy your time with to keep you playing. Case in point WoW. I loved the achievement system because I'm a collector and I feel the need to do everything there is do with a video game. During the WotLK release I managed a server first and I said ha and moved on with my life. Bioware doesn't have server firsts because 1) the don't have a gimmicky achievement system (the closest thing they have is the codex which I love) 2) Every one starts at a different time and if people played the beta they will have a lot more knowledge of the game mechanics than others from the start 3) it's wasted coding, I can think of a lot of things I'd rather see before I saw this 4) Most importantly, Bioware does not want its players to rush through content that they spent lots of time and effort into just so some kid can brag about being the first to do something. This is not WoW and if raiding guilds can't handle that then raiding guilds can go back to WoW. I care about story and lore, not how much of a life I don't have. So if you want to gloat at being the first to punch some keys then go back to playing Kung-Fu Panda *coughs* I mean WoW, I'm sure they can use all the subscribers they can get right now.

The only intelligent response I've seen so far was from SithlordXanatos. Everybody else is using ridiculous and baseless arguments to combat something like this. If I got a server first Nightmare Mode Eternity Vault or whatever I'd hope that I would get recognition for it. Who says that I would use it to gloat. Its an achievement and its damn hard to get. Its also come to my attention that a lot of people don't want something like this because they don't want to put in the effort to get it, therefore don't want others to have something they don't. And if I were to gloat about it that is my personal business, Bioware can't stop a person from gloating or acting like an ***. The same exact people complained about the idea of a DPS meter. I would certainly use it because its my playstyle in mmo's.

Edit: And to the person above me, I get it you don't like WoW. People in raiding guilds do have lives, and may or may not care about lore and story. I personally enjoy the main quest I'm engaged in right now and I'm in a raiding guild so please, think before you say something.

Edited by Strauser

Mostly referring to people who skip through content just so they can get firsts. I have no problem with raiding guilds, I'm just saying Bioware more then likely doesn't want to see people racing through content just to get these achievements and then having lots of people complaining because it's become boring before they can shove out new content. I like what their doing because it's a slower pace than WoW ever was and I like that you can't go from lvl 10 to 50 purely from LFG which is another thing I hope they don't know. Well, not yet at least.

I know Im not going to change your mind with this post but when the hell are you going to accept that raid guilds and individuals like this competition?

Never saw, Paragon, For the Horde or Blood Legion post on any of the Blizz forums that they where world First.... the only posted it on their website ;)

"WE DID WORLD FIRST NOOBZ, L2PLAYZ, LOOSERZ" thing... is kinda the same as someone who posts in the first answer to a thread "First".

Its ok if people try to compete on a raid style level, also on a pvp level... but please don't post it all over the interwebz ... because most people don't really care.

Those people who care... will read your post on the website of your guild ;)

Edited by Hirogen

Mostly referring to people who skip through content just so they can get firsts. I have no problem with raiding guilds, I'm just saying Bioware more then likely doesn't want to see people racing through content just to get these achievements and then having lots of people complaining because it's become boring before they can shove out new content. I like what their doing because it's a slower pace than WoW ever was and I like that you can't go from lvl 10 to 50 purely from LFG which is another thing I hope they don't know. Well, not yet at least.

What business of yours is it if somebody skips through quests. You cant dictate how people play and neither can Bioware. I'm not ashamed to say that I skip through a few quests here and there but how does that affect how you play? And a LFG tool would be useful because its a tool. You dont have to use it but its there.

As others have said, the game isn't marketed towards server first types. This isn't WoW. You don't get an achievment for doing every little thing. I know it must be so hard for most of you WoW players to come over here and not have that little soundbyte and the explosion of fireworks on your screen and that little gold icon come up saying "You have earned <insert inane object here> achievement".

For those of you who spacebar'd your way to 25 just to get the first kill on some world boss. I hope you enjoyed rushing forward, not enjoying your story. Also, a few quests I got bored and spacebar'd my way through them, and they changed the course of the quest drastically. (For example on Dromund Kaas, there's a quest line where if you dont answer the questions correctly, the guy goes and makes you kill mobs as penance. If you answer the questions correctly, you save time, but in order to answer them correctly you have to pay attention to the dialogue)

I honestly am so glad Bioware did not put a similar system that WoW did in their game to reward achievments. I'm also glad Bioware has no server forums as well. They both foster nothing more then arguments and e-peen stroking.

TLDR: Noone cares about your server firsts. I promise you, it is not a "mark of quality" for your guild; it's a mark of pretentiousness.

Sadly, even mentioning server firsts brings out the people who think that being competitive in any shape or form is a bad thing.

You can enjoy being first to down anything, but its already been done in beta so basically no one playing now will get "first" anything. Lastly, no one cares about you or knows you on the server except the people in your raid or guild. Me knowing you did something is unwanted spam.

This is a wonderful thinking process of entitlement that was given life in WoW and will die there along with arenas.You can be competitive all you want, dont need my screen spammed with your game accomplishments though.

Edited by Tremk

i know they like the competition, and its up to them if they do.

but keep it internal. the NFL doesnt require every human to play or watch the game. everybody in a country isnt required to be part of the olympics.

i have no problem if people want to compete, if they want to feel special cause they can move a mouse and tap keys faster then somebody else so be it.

i got a problem when people's start gloating over soembody else, which is the sole reason for a server broadcast of Server/World/Class firsts.

Analogy does not compute.

There are rewards for being NFL champions and Olympic gold medalists. People who don't care don't pay attention and people who care either attempt to be the achievers or follow (in the "watch closely" sense of the word) those who do, even paying for the privilege to do so (purchasing tickets).

Allowing people who want to compete the opportunity to do so hurts you not in the least, and would still allow those who purchased the game for the story experience to enjoy it as just that, without ever being forced to interact with those who wish to compete. I disagree with you, and BioWare, on this point.

By forcing people into following the story without the promise of competition, Bioware is losing (an albeit very low amount) of potential customers. That's their choice, however, and it's still a great game.

Also, there is absolutely no way to internalize "firsts" in servers without some sort of system-wide tracking built into the game. Anyone can verbalize they did it first without proof.

A lot of people like to refer to the ‘old mmo’ days for whichever mmo you played. I don’t think you need a server-wide message per say to announce server firsts, but we got forums so just make a thread listing the bosses (end game only no one cares about some level 32 heroic boss you killed…end game stuff only or ****) try listing them in order of difficulty and as bosses get killed post in the thread mob dead, put your guild name and as long as someone can maintain it, it will show who has done what first and when.

I know I’d always be looking at the thread seeing who has killed what and keep up with rival guilds etc etc and both republic and sith can compete on who kills what faster. I remember EQ2flames having very successful progression threads and was highly competitive.

What business of yours is it if somebody skips through quests. You cant dictate how people play and neither can Bioware. I'm not ashamed to say that I skip through a few quests here and there but how does that affect how you play? And a LFG tool would be useful because its a tool. You dont have to use it but its there.

If people want to do so that is their issue, I was saying that Bioware doesn't want people to do this. They have no power to stop people from doing this, but they frown upon it. Skipping one or two speeches isn't a bad thing I mostly refer to people who skip through all the cut scenes just to hit cap first. And if there is a LFG tool you would have to use said tool there is no way around that. If you go around asking for a group while a LFG tool is available you will be made fun of by others. The LFG tool, any many others agree with this, ruins the game for people. Right now I don't want to see a LFG tool or ability for mods but that may change in the future.

Some people enjoy competing for server, region, and world firsts in MMO end game raiding. The low level world bosses I agree nobody cares about. But I dont see how hardcore raiders spending hours a night trying to compete with other guilds doesnt warrant a server first achievement. I dont see the issue with that except it makes the more casual players "angry" for whatever reason.

I dunno if it was a server first, and I don't care, but I am insulted by all the people who say that killing an early game world boss isn't impressive because any old group of high levels can do it lol. So I'm just here to say that on my main server, Zakkeg Beast, on my Sith Marauder, I managed to get a 16 player pug together (lvls 14 up to 2 lvl 17s, mostly 16s) and we took down "The First" after 3 tries. Dunno about you guys, but I think that's cool and I think that giving lower level players a chance to work together in such large groups to take down difficult bosses is cool. World first or no, doing so with characters of the boss's level is a great way to foster a sense of unity and achievement that, 2 or more years from now, you can look back to it and feel a little bit of pride, even when you were only lvl 16.