Bioware, stop adding new features and do something about the graphics!

TutLekump

The graphics overall have been very good. I had some minor graphic bugs when it was first released...but nothing game breaking. But sence 1.2 I do have one which is very anoying and is actually a immersion killer. My char's eyes and the NPC ones look really odd in conversations. Outside of conversations they are fine. Plus I really donot see much difference in the texture quality of my chars with 1.2. And I have everything set to max, except for Bloom being turned off. The AA even tho I have it set to high cannot be more than 2x. Those are my only complaints and yeah...I did turn in a ticket on the eye thing. Edited by Valkirus

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I suppose all Americans are fat, us Scottish all wear kilts and shag sheep, the French are all called Renee and wear onions round their necks etc etc?

You're saying that isn't so.. omg, I've been lied to :eek:

It's unbelievable to pay $60 and $15 monthly subscription for a game in 2012 with dx9 graphics. Do something about it, please. The game is great, but it kills me to play it on max settings and still look like I'm playing a 2004 game.

I know your reasons, but you can do improvements in the Hero Engine, since you altered it, with or without the updates. If Turbine did it, than you can do it as well. LOTRO is compatible with dx9 hardware AND dx11 hardware, and it looks really good. SWTOR doesn't.

I love this game, don't wanna get fed of it because when I play Crysis 2 after SWTOR I feel like I jumped 8 years in time.

Thank you, and like I said, I really appreciate your work in this game.

Hm. I know a couple other games that came out in '04. Let's look at KOTOR. Lets see, was there any real hair animation? No. Could you see skin blemishes? Only if you were as dark side as dark side could get. Were the eyes at all realistic? Nope. Was there any real detail in the armor? Not really. Were the models as smooth as they are here? No.

What about Halo 2? You know, not even worth my time trying to compare.

You're also confusing graphics with graphical fidelity. No, this game doesn't look like Crysis 2 or the Witcher 2. It's not supposed to. Did they achieve the style they were going for? Yes. A fair amount of realism without being truly realistic. Characters are proportioned properly, and the models, textures, and lights all seem to work out pretty well most of the time.

Not every game needs to, nor should they all, try and look like the next most realistic thing since the last. For one thing, it's starting to get played out. For another, it would limit their possible customer base. Third, with all the effects, it would probably fry a lot CPUs and graphics cards.

Edited by Kaskava

I agree it looks like 2004, hope the hero engine will get more graphics options soon and BW adds more detail to the world.

But there were some improvements in 1.2 already, hope it will get better.

Draw distance and shadow quality are still a bad joke

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Hm. I know a couple other games that came out in '04. Let's look at KOTOR. Lets see, was there any real hair animation? No. Could you see skin blemishes? Only if you were as dark side as dark side could get. Were the eyes at all realistic? Nope. Was there any real detail in the armor? Not really. Were the models as smooth as they are here? No.

What about Halo 2? You know, not even worth my time trying to compare.

You're also confusing graphics with graphical fidelity. No, this game doesn't look like Crysis 2 or the Witcher 2. It's not supposed to. Did they achieve the style they were going for? Yes. A fair amount of realism without being truly realistic. Characters are proportioned properly, and the models, textures, and lights all seem to work out pretty well most of the time.

Not every game needs to, nor should they all, try and look like the next most realistic thing since the last. For one thing, it's starting to get played out. For another, it would limit their possible customer base. Third, with all the effects, it would probably fry a lot CPUs and graphics cards.

Look at the textures of the character's skins when they get a close-up in conversations. It does look like a 2004 game. They downgraded the max texture settings since beta.

I think on the "priority" list, graphcs are and should be on the bottom of that list. I think the game looks pretty incredible, to be honest and I think most of us would rather they work on the important stuff that's going to add longevity to the game.

Dunno what the gripe is.. I run it on 55" 240hz LCD at 1080p/60hz on max settings and it looks great. How could it be better ? Better reflections ? Shadows ? What do you want ?

Better textures and dx11 support.

People tend to think dx11 support will cut performance. It will boost performance, actually. Dx9 is what cuts it down. I run most games in dx10 enabled with twice fps than with dx9.

Simple graphics are a good idea because they use less resources, and really old PCs can still play the game. This ensures a bigger market for the game.

However, for some reason that is not happening. SW:TOR works my graphics card like as if I was playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution at max graphics settings.

So hopefully the engine gets optimized. I don't understand why the game is using more resources.

It's unbelievable to pay $60 and $15 monthly subscription for a game in 2012 with dx9 graphics. Do something about it, please. The game is great, but it kills me to play it on max settings and still look like I'm playing a 2004 game.

I know your reasons, but you can do improvements in the Hero Engine, since you altered it, with or without the updates. If Turbine did it, than you can do it as well. LOTRO is compatible with dx9 hardware AND dx11 hardware, and it looks really good. SWTOR doesn't.

I love this game, don't wanna get fed of it because when I play Crysis 2 after SWTOR I feel like I jumped 8 years in time.

You are lucky. Even with every setting turned all the way down/off I can barely barely run it, when a game from 2004, World of Warcraft, works perfectly. In no way does this game look like it is from 2004.

Better textures and dx11 support.

People tend to think dx11 support will cut performance. It will boost performance, actually. Dx9 is what cuts it down. I run most games in dx10 enabled with twice fps than with dx9.

Only if the card in question can use DX11, they would still need to code DX9 paths (as emulating DX10/11 is horribly slow). I suspect their onw data shows that lots of people are still using DX9 capable cards, so there was not enough return for using DX10/11 to justify the extra development costs.

The only thing wrong with the graphics in this game, IMO of course, is the slowdowns that occur with lots of people on screen (though 1.2 mitigates that to some extent). Fix that and all is well (i am sure they will, once they sort out the cause).

graphics < gameplay (unless they are really offensive) so work on the content and such first.

Although I won't join the debate whether Hero Engine is any good or not(simply because I know next to nothing about engines, whether they are build for games...or cars...or any other things that have engines). I don't have much problems with the graphics at all. And I would most certainly not want Bioware to stop adding features while they are working on graphics even if I didn't realize that the people who add features are not the same people as who do the graphics.

Graphic It self is not so bad...although not perfect and

does not looks as good as Tera or FF13 or SecretWorld.... late time MMOs...

but graphic mood does not hurt Gmae.. and relatively wide area and long view distance

although hoping some simple adavncement..especially shadows....

and very low fps at certain cricumstances

even i satisfied graphics now...

DX11 or DX10 client engine is very Valuable

remember Ilum? only 100 player makes client so horrible cause CPU overhead of DX itself

and DX10+ makes it smoother

if BW scheduling revive of field massive PVP, DX10+ must be supported

and this is not graphic concern...FIX Memory Leakage befor Illum Revive...

Illum recommend memory size for none-memory concern crash is 10GB memory now

(2 Processor, each 4GB, SWTOR alone 8GB)

so before massive PVP please Fix it

Fixing some of the character models before making the textures higher res would be better. It looks goofy to have your gear instersecting your body in odd ways depending on the race you roll. That stuff drives me batty. :eek:

Look at the textures of the character's skins when they get a close-up in conversations. It does look like a 2004 game. They downgraded the max texture settings since beta.

THIS

is how a conversation centric game looked like in 2004.

And you have to be delusional to think the conversations or gameplay look even half as good technically than SWTOR does now.

Show me 1 game from 2004 that looks as good as SWTOR technically, or stylized. I know you can't.

Fixing some of the character models before making the textures higher res would be better. It looks goofy to have your gear instersecting your body in odd ways depending on the race you roll. That stuff drives me batty. :eek:

This is actually more important yeah, and I did notice some fixes in 1.2 on that department.

Pre-1.2, my male body type 4 zabrak used to not have his hands touch when using emotes like /clap and /threaten. Also, his head would often angle down too far and his chin and mouth literally disappear into his chest. These things no longer happen.

This is an MMO, not a linear FPS/Adventure game. They need this game to be accessible to as many people as possible so they can't go overboard on graphics.