DC kicking

As the title says i have a growing issue with the kick system as it currently is, certainly last few days cause in the last 4-5 days ive had 5 experiences where a person got kicked for no other reason then a simple dc that can happen to anybody as any well experienced mmo'er knows.

1 out of those 5 times it was myself and well... it s*cks bigtime certainly when your at the very end of the FP.

In the other cases i asked the others to wait a bit but it was as if i talked to 6 year olds, and in 2 of the other 4 cases this happened right at the end of the FP in one case it was even at the final console of BP were you get the choice to go to Dromund or the fleet... so everything was done everything went smooth the guy with the dc did his job ok and then getting a kick at that moment...

So as i said im getting real issues with how this kick system currently works.

PS. A big problem here is how this game handles a DC, first it crashes down wich can take a min or 2 for a start and then you gotta restart the whole game wich can again take a few min, and that i guess is to much for many.

It's just the way it goes. I happen to be the tank and when doing the daily HM GF, if we end up getting a DC in the group, I always tell the group to wait until we reach 2 bosses worth before we initiate the kick (my companions are pretty geared so half the time, my dps companion is better geared than the DPS we had in the group to begin with). If we are at the last boss with a DC, I wont even bother with a kick because there have been times when the DC'd player comes in half way threw the fight. If he doesn't, then it's just more of a chance to get the gear for the others in the group.

It's just the way it goes. I happen to be the tank and when doing the daily HM GF, if we end up getting a DC in the group, I always tell the group to wait until we reach 2 bosses worth before we initiate the kick (my companions are pretty geared so half the time, my dps companion is better geared than the DPS we had in the group to begin with). If we are at the last boss with a DC, I wont even bother with a kick because there have been times when the DC'd player comes in half way threw the fight. If he doesn't, then it's just more of a chance to get the gear for the others in the group.

A simply thing that could help would be when for example you have cleared the first boss (or mini-boss) of whatever FP and a player gets a dc then the others cant kick him for a certain number of min, lets say the average time to restart the game since i believe the time to restart the game is the main problem and nobody can do anything about that its basiclly a fault of the game itself, and apparently there are lots of people without the patience to wait those mins out even if the Dced person went trough an entire FP with them and did everything fine.

Recently the option where afther a certain point in an FP you unlock the ability to go back to your previous location was implemented, and i think that same option could be used for this... that afther a certain point in the FP the others cant kick a DCed player right away but only afther a few min (average time to restart).

With F2P now i think the chances of these situations have certainly not decreased, and therefor all the more reason to have something in place to avoid these situations.

It's not that I don't have sympathy for players with connection issues (we have players in our guild that sometimes get DC). But at the end of the day, it isn't incumbent on me to waste my game time waiting to see IF someone reconnects. That's not to say we won't ever wait at all, but at the end of the day you have to see things from the other point of view:

I just don't have the time to deal with players who are constantly disconnecting or who disconnect and take 10 mins to get back. I don't think it's your fault, I'm not trying to point fingers and assign blame... It just is what it is.

I try to wait around 5 minutes for the dc'd guy,which should be ample time for situations where one dc's, restarts game / computer. After a while I initiate a kick to get replacement. It sucks I agree but it's necessary after a while.

I certainly agree that its necessary afther a while, only the examples i mentioned happened basiclly right afther the DC, like the person DCed and within 10 sec afther that the first impatient person selected vote to kick while the DCed person probably wasnt even back to desktop, and they also happened very far into the FP or even as i said in the earlier post right at the very end, wich can mean the 30-45+ min that an average FP run can take will be fully waisted time only by the impatients of some nubs.

A 5 min mark sounds fair to me, i think my time to restart/relog afther a dc certainly falls within that time.

Again the main reason why this would be pretty fair and reasonable to implement is becaus of the mechanics of the game itself and how it handles a DC of a player, i have played a few MMO's in the past and none of those had the strange/annoying feature that the whole game would simply CTD when you DCed and since its also a pretty big game it requires some loading time no matter how good ones system is, and i also have the feeling that this "flaw" in the games mechanic is one of the reasons why some people are to impatient to wait a bit... most of them simply know how the game deals with a DC and that it often take several min before a person can get back, not that i would consider that as an excuse to start votekick afther 10 sec but it certainly doesnt help.

It's not that I don't have sympathy for players with connection issues (we have players in our guild that sometimes get DC). But at the end of the day, it isn't incumbent on me to waste my game time waiting to see IF someone reconnects. That's not to say we won't ever wait at all, but at the end of the day you have to see things from the other point of view:

I just don't have the time to deal with players who are constantly disconnecting or who disconnect and take 10 mins to get back. I don't think it's your fault, I'm not trying to point fingers and assign blame... It just is what it is.

Constant connection issues and 10 min to get back is another thing.

Therefor i will only consider this timelock of a "few min" afther a certain point in the FP so the group can have some idea if the connection of the others are stable enough and certainly not a 10 min timelock, and if that will ever be considered then it should ofcourse only apply once to that player, if the same player DC's within 2 min afther getting back well then ofcourse his "few min" to not be able to kick no longer apply.

It should not be aimed for people with connection issues of any kind but merely at 'average' player that can allways have a DC at some point and becaus of the games mechanic are forced to have a full restart of the game wich can take several min instead of the +/- 1 min that i was used to in previous MMO's that ive played.

I hardly every DC, this maybe the most stable game I have ever played, not sure if it is just my luck or the game design. However, I DC'ed the other night in HM The Esseles, right after the final boss, but before the mission was complete. Was sure the group would kick or leave instance, but got back and was very surprised everyone was waiting for me.

Like haliy I will usually wait before I go for or vote for the kick. 5 mins depending on the FP, that does not mean I am willing to stop and just wait. I will continue and hope the DC’ed person returns. Depending on how that is going, we may continue waiting past the 5 mins if the group is making good headway. Once completed HM D7 with two dps and my healer after the 1st boss when the tank DC’ed.

Problem with waiting beyond 5 mins is you don’t know the problem. They may have lost electricity, internet or anything else. That tank in D7 never did show back up. On guild runs I will wait longer than the 5 mins even when we can’t continue without the DC’ed party, but then I can usually communicate with them outside the game (skype, email, phone…). However, when I can’t find out what is going on then the 5 min rule still applies.

Edited by mikebevo

I've initiated a kick during a Flashpoint because a player DC'ed and frankly, felt awful for it.

Sadly, when someone does DC you have absolutely no way of knowing if they DC'ed accidentally or just closed the game because it was dinner time. I always try to wait for a few minutes but if I'm running out of playtime myself then I tend to give less time than if I'm in no rush.

Unless it's a guild group, If I DC I expect to be kicked and have no hard feelings about it.

in other mmos i used the 5 minute rule as it is the amount of time it takes to reboot the computer if a log in doesnt work. myself and my guildies do the same here.

however in this game i have seen people initiate it in as little as 15 secs and most around 30 secs. i guess a lfd finder propagated this behavior in other easy mode mmos as i see it far too often here and in rift. if players actually had to "work" to get a replacement they wouldn't be so fast at kicking a player.

just be glad the lfd isn't cross server is all i can say.

I'll give people a few minutes - long enough to restart their computer, then kick. Don't forget that some people fake DCs in order to get out of a group without getting the Group Finder lockout or so they can leave the group without drama and log another character. So, 3-4 minutes is long enough that if they're legit, they obviously aren't able to get back on, and if they're not, why waste time waiting for them? Edited by Ms_Sunlight

I don't get it...If someone is dc'd then what is the point in wasting time waiting for them to return? It's easier to just vote kick and queue for replacement or just pull out a companion and finish the thing. Why should I have to sacrifice my time for someone else? They aren't paying for my sub I am.

I had my first (or one of my first, I can't remember it happening before but it's hard to imagine I levelled a character to 50 doing FPs regularly without one) disconnect in a flashpoint, got kicked to server list. I was back in in what I'd guess was left than 60 seconds and there was already a votekick on me. Really caught me off guard. Usually when I'm with a group I tend to wait maybe five minutes, it's very rare that they don't come back fairly quickly. You'd be making one person have to redo 20-40 minutes of a flashpoint versus waiting less than five minutes yourself, it just seems a little selfish.

Of course I was a juggernaut DPS so maybe that made them feel more justified in kicking me.

Way I see it is if you have a history of d/cing from the game give your group a heads up and tell them not to kick you. I generally like to power through flashpoints so waiting for people is not something I am good at. (which is why I generally don't even do FPs unless I got atleast 3 people I know with me.) If you want some insurance all you gotta do is make some friends and queue with them. Expecting random people to care to wait around for you to get back so they can finish the FP is unrealistic. Yes I know it is common courtesy to do it but power players really don't give half of a damn lol. Just being realistic here.

The game currently has a memory leak for me, so I try to do FPs when I first log in (or I'll relog when I want to do an FP) to mitigate RAM consumption and lessen DC risk, but some FPs are worse than others. As such I warn my group I might get DCed but I'll be RIGHT BACK so please don't kick me. I ask if everyone understands and is okay with this. If someone says no, they don't want to wait, I'll ask the group to vote kick me right then (at one point we vote kicked the guy who wasn't okay with waiting a few mins instead - at his request as the others were okay with it and he asked us to kick him so he could have a 'faster' run).

So if you have a history of DC or know you have a memory leak and not enough RAM to deal with it, let the group know beforehand. It makes everything much smoother.

And for the guy who thinks it's slowing him down, pull out a companion and run through normal mobs for a few minutes. The odds that a person gets DCed right before a boss fight are really low. It doesn't slow you down in the least to fight through some mobs and 'poof' the person is back and runs to catch up.

There was a undergeared sorc in foundry the other day who was supposed to be a healer but of course was dps, I was grumpy because nothing but crappy foundry has been popping for obvious reasons. I kept my silent indignation untill I figured what the hell, no sense in being a gear snob and 2 of us were horribly overgeared and a healer wasnt needed anyway. He dcd before the end and I refused 2 kick votes, he came in, tried best to heal it and we won.

If someone needs something specific I will try to help them out and give them more leeway otherwise after 5 mins I will kick.