Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

In all seriousness... in a couple months this game is simply going to be an online single player PvE game. Anyone who pays 15 dollars a month to do a couple raids a week and PvP more than what you are allotted for free is a sucker.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bhahahaha!

When I said this game was doing horrible, people doubted me.

When I said this game needed more content survive, people doubted me.

When I said "it's only a matter of time before this abomination of an MMO will go "Free to Play", people doubted me.

When I unsubbed from SWTOR, I happily knocked myself out the door for you guys.

I have 16 days of play time left and I never plan on re-subbing again.

You guys did not want to heed my warnings, calling me a "false prophet". The only thing I have left to say on this is... enjoy your sinking ship. :cool:

• Dev Post
What restrictions exactly? What does travel restriction mean? No quick travel, no taxis, no speeders? What is the credit ceiling? 10k? 50k? 100k? How many character slots? Just one? Two?

We'll have more specifics about the restrictions as we approach the launch of the free to play option - for now the FAQ and http://www.swtor.com/free have as many details as we can provide for the moment. Thanks for your patience!

Bhahahaha!

When I said this game was doing horrible, people doubted me.

When I said this game needed more content survive, people doubted me.

When I said "it's only a matter of time before this abomination of an MMO will go "Free to Play", people doubted me.

When I unsubbed from SWTOR, I happily knocked myself out the door for you guys.

I have 16 days of play time left and I never plan on re-subbing again.

You guys did not want to heed my warnings, calling me a "false prophet". The only thing I have left to say on this is... enjoy your sinking ship. :cool:

*Nobody cares* Can you look into your crystal ball and see if I will ever care about you leaving. Thanks.

Even though I find LOTRO's storytelling more enjoyable than that of most MMO's, it is still fairly similar to generic WoW-clone MMO's. The same applies to most F2P MMO's out there. SWTOR is different. The experience is comparable to that of other Bioware single player RPG's. It's like they're giving away BG1&2, Jade Empire, KOTOR, Dragon Age Origins, and the Mass Effect trilogy for free. The only thing that really sets SWTOR apart from other MMO's is Bioware's stock-in-trade RPG story tellling. That is the part that presumably cost most of the $300 million budget and development time. That is the part they are giving away completely for free.

All that voice work and RPG style storytelling that brought people and kept them engaged in the game will probably be the first thing on the chopping block as it's probably going to be unsustainable in a f2p game. The one thing I noticed with all the f2p games I tried was the mediocre quality I witnessed; I can't imagine any of them putting out the sort of stuff we are (were?) used to in SWTOR.

Edited by ProsaicProse

The problem with Free to Play is its EA , voted the worst , most hated video game company in America . There was once an April Fools Joke in EGM that they were adding the air for the footballs as a DLC in Madden .

NO one trusts EA , and no one believes they will handle free to play the right way . They will completely destroy this game to get an extra $ 5 , $10 , $20 , $30 , $40 , $50 a month out of you and laugh all the way to the bank .

This is a company that releases games then the same day charges $20 for a DLC , that SHOULD have been included with the game .

Sorry , but I just can't trust EA with a cash shop .

and now, the grossly overhyped train arrives at the GW2 station.

I'd have to agree from playing the open beta weekends not a bad game at all, but not all that it was hyped up to be in my opinion. At least with GW2 you know what you are getting when you buy at launch I guess. (Before any PvPers jump up and down on me I'm talking about from a PvE point of view, I didn't do any PvP on weekends). Apparently the PvP is good in some way.

Edited by AidenCast

ok i have some questions not covered.

1. Will we get any new content before we go F2P?

2. Cash shop items will be cosmetic or items with real stats?

3 Being a current subscriber will we have a special vendor to we was here before the game went F2P?

4. Will we be able to you customize our ships with paint, markings, battle damage or guild markings?

5. What will happen with the guild capital ship we where told we was getting?

6. Will we all be moved to a "mega" server so that we will have more folks to play with?

Sure you are getting your butts crewed on right now BW but you're gonna have to give us a game plan on what we will get before you launch the F2P model to make it worth us hanging on until then.

All that voice work and RPG style storytelling that brought people and kept them engaged in the game will probably be the first thing on the chopping block as it's probably going to be unsustainable in a f2p game. The one thing I noticed with all the f2p games I tried was the mediocre quality I witnessed; I can't imagine any of them putting out the sort of stuff we are (were?) used to in SWTOR.

there was nvr going to be updated stories until an xpac nothing has changed, they charge u for the xpac sub or not to continue your story

Aye voiced quests are expensive, and that makes little sense in a F2P enviroment where really they want money for old rope if possible.

From the conference call notes:

"Free-to-play is EA’s fastest growing business model, with year-over-year revenues that are up

156 percent. And while this already makes up 17 percent of our overall revenue in Q1, the

compound annual growth rate is significantly outpacing the overall market."

I bet this is the driving factor behind this decision. They really believe they'll make more money by doing this. I guess time will tell.

Having been through a subscription to free to play episode with a mmorpg game before i joined swtor i can acuratly predict how it will go..

1) DAY 1 - everything starts out ok... subscriber numbers ok.. influx of new players who spend money on f2p content. Devs put very strick limits on what f2p can do and everybody seems happy.

2) DAY 30 - subscribers start to get annoyed when f2p players start to get cool new stuff that CAN ONLY be purchased with coins. New armor is released that "looks better" that stuff subscribers can get.

3) DAY 90 - All interesting fluff stuff becomes f2p and requires extra cash to purchase. Developers stop adding in fluff stuff at all for subscribers who universally get basic armor/weapon models while all the cool stuff goes straight onto the market for quick cash rewards.

4) DAY 100 - subscribers nearly all cancel thier subs. f2p coins prices start to raise and content becomes more basic and cheaper of quality.

least that how it happened in everquest2. There is currently no new fluff content you have to buy it all... they also give you station cash.... but its a pitiful amount and only really allows you to purchase 1 item a month (out of a possible 2000) my email started to get spammed with "please come and by this cool mount" on a weekly basis.

F2P can work... but not alongside a subscription model because BW wont be able to resist putting the best stuff on the market. Its either one or the other.

This is what is going on in STO too. Everything "new/cool" goes into the cash shop because then it earns them more money.

Hahaha.

@Bioware: We told ya. You didn't listen. This is what happens when you ignore the fanbase. You've become a fallen angel, going from masterpieces like BG2 to this... how does it feel at your personal all time low? Time to get back to the roots, buddies.

@Every other gaming company: Make a deal with EA, and you die. I hope you're taking notes, this is the prime example.

Peace, I'm out. Have been for 5 months, actually. Just had to get back to say this. Sorry to all the players that still play here, don't take this personally. ;)

Edited by Slant_DK

many people claim you have to pay for much of the content in lotro ... this is far from the truth .. you can EARN tp (turbine points) as a f2p account and use those EARNED points the same way as points people paid for and there are quite a few gimmicks to earn alot of points and get the stuff for FREE FREE bank space .. auction house slots cosmetic slots more character slots .. i did it long before i dropped a dime into the game and only paid anything cause one of the big quest packs went on sale and i was short a few hundred points ... spending that tiny bit of money got me even more perks + points and i still never went VIP account

i don't know whether this is the way bioware plans on implementing the coins .. but i for one hope not

pay for the perks you want or get out

Edited by cologator

From the conference call notes:

"Free-to-play is EA’s fastest growing business model, with year-over-year revenues that are up

156 percent. And while this already makes up 17 percent of our overall revenue in Q1, the

compound annual growth rate is significantly outpacing the overall market."

I bet this is the driving factor behind this decision. They really believe they'll make more money by doing this. I guess time will tell.

They probably will in the short term. From what I've seen in other games that made the change, it doesn't take that long before they forget the old adage about biting the hand that feeds you.

Edited by AidenCast

Our game will be there for 30 years they said...

Yeah right, i was loyal customer bought the game and subscribed since the begining... and EA fks me in the a ss. Thanks a lot. You can stuff yourself with those credits i cant even sell -.-

"For $15 a month, Premium Players will receive comprehensive access to the

game plus monthly infusions of in-game currency which can be used for boosts, customization

and for moving more quickly through each level."

That might be the dealbreaker for me. If those 150 coins a month aren't enough for the stuff I'll want/need I'm gone.

That of course is assuming I can get enough of an exp-boost to level almost solely by class-quests seeing as the other 90% of the levelling experience will most likely suck even more from now on.

Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1994159550x0x587474/a3017ec2-7f9e-4200-af7f-246d99244d23/Q1_FY13_Earnings_Script_FINAL.pdf

I have to say, For those of you saying there is still hope and that you LOVE the direction the game is going in, I'd love to have you on my side as a soldier of war. No matter what we'll make it through right???

You're in Denial. The same people that sat in this forum FIRM that this title would NEVER EVER go Free to Play.....Now What? After This article and that article saying it wouldn't, now what?? The truth is....There is no truth with this company. That's the truth. For every situation that has come up here there have been some heavy duty Bioware/EA Apologist as if they can do no wrong. Now after you've paid your dues for months and stuck by them, they show their thanks by going F2P after 8 months and handing you some "Cartel Tokens"....There ya go idiot....buy yourself a dancing Jawa *Pats you on the back*

When is enough enough?

Then they call the sub you've BEEN paying for a "Premium Subscription" Ohhh wow! You get to put up as many sales on the GTN as you want! You and your big boy account! You can even use quick travel! *Facepalm* It's a smack in the face to call my account a premium account when nothing changes for me. Cartel Coins aren't worth the slow ***** server bandwith load time they're carried on. Eff off Bioware'

what the hell does that have to do with your quote? were saying let there be servers for SUB based players/characters only, so that legacy/paying customers that DONT want to group/deal with freebie community dont have to, only then can yall feed me the line "nothing changes for you if you are a paying customer"

has nothing to do with IP 's , it would be an account thingy

because it was what about the people who are banned and then just creating a new account. also look -> http://www.swtor.com/free/features

This is what is going on in STO too. Everything "new/cool" goes into the cash shop because then it earns them more money.

The thing is, in STO, you can buy things from the cash-shop with in-game assets...