Terror from Beyond is not Star Wars

As a raid I guess its all right. But beating up a 3 story tentacled monster, changing colors and running in patterns and pressing bottons and whatnot with... shall we say... unrealistic... elements to each an every fight is just not matching the name on the box.

In my opinion someone should gently make the raid designers aware that they are not contructing WOW or Everquest fight.

Just my opinion.

Edited by KhamG

Well, of course it was based off the bizarre aliens, the Gree. But you are right, the next operation is supposed to be a sequel to Karagga's Palace, so it'll be more Hutt Cartel and beast pits. Just like shootin' womprats back home kid!

While it was a great fight, you do have a point: They should get back to their roots a bit for the future.

No offense BioWare, loyal fan here. :)

I'm tired of the way operations are going. I want imperial vs republic pve operations. This crap where imperials and republic are theoretically putting the war on hold to fight these common enemies is getting tiresome. I want to be able to raid the other factions fleet, or board an other faction cruiser and destroy it from the inside out. Battling force using rakata, hutts, and other alien races is fun but there is a war going on and since i hit level 50 i don't feel the least bit involved in it

We need our TOC champions encounter with a group from the opposing faction:P Wouldn't it be nice though if they would actually code in faction specific encounters? all they really have to do is make up mirror bosses for eachside...they can write in a story about discovering a crashed ship or something and arriving at the same time as the opposing faction and then just go from there as you explore the ship and beat the competition.

the majority of the problem most people above me have is the preconceived idea that the star wars universe is all sith vs jedi. when someone adds a additional faction or menace that threatens both such people just are unable to comprehend there are more powerful races or factions in that universe. by adding such content it will make the game more fleshed out and involved.

running around and just killing the other faction is the expectation of 12 year olds in mmos. those of us that have a more sophisticated taste want more than that type of a pvp pve game mechanic which the op and some of the above desire. besides how many different ways can you kill a sith or a jedi? it wont take much content to find out that is sure.

pretty rude comment above me. Just because someone doesn't have the same view as you doesn't give you the right to insult them and call them 12 y/o.

As for the content if it makes sense with the lore Im for it...the gree thing okay that was a stretch but including a giant spaceworm was a bit over the top. Remember in beta and launch when James Ohlen said SWTOR would never be about a group of people gathering around a giant boss and banging on it ? That's exactly what we got with terror from beyond.

What people above are asking for is not unreasonable they just want something more than what other games offer and something that makes sense for the SW universe. I'm sure bioware can come up with some pretty fun operation encounters that involve fighting the opposite faction. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

whats hilarious is that the flashpoints generally did the star wars feel, not only right, but very well. I mean look at Black Talon. You start by meeting a quirky protecol droid, you stop a mutiny, board and enemy ship with nothing but a shuttle, fight your way to the general, kill a jedi padawan and save the day(or murder everyone you see) Now most people don't think much of BT anymore but that's because if you're like me, you've played it 25+ times in both normal and HM. Karagga's was a descent OP, but then you have Eternity vault(which was/is fun don't get me wrong) and Terror which just seem like reskinned WoW raids. They also seem to have very weak backstories and offer little to no dialog other than SOA taunting you (and totally not sounding like someone from WoW)

Don't totally disagree with OP here, but we must nonetheless applaud BW for (imho) a graphically splendid operation with very creative mechanisms.

Anyway, just throwing an idea here : if we are fighting a common ennemy, why don't we have the opportunity to buid cooperative 8 rep/8 imp raids ? That would be fun :)

I'd rather move towards something like Brittaany_Banks talked about, Operations themed towards combating the opposing faction. Being part of the apparent on-going war would be nice for a change. Raiding opposition fleets in a PvE instance would be really cool. Familiar territory for players and you can add a divide and conquer element to it. I think timers are under-utilized in games. Race to the finish!

I want ops to feel more like military operations. That's one thing that went extremely well with Explosive Conflict, in my opinion.

I had an idea for an operation, that was slightly different for both factions. Each side would have a mirror of each other. The idea would be that the Imperials are attacking a republic capital ship or something, and the Republic troops have to defend it. The map of the area would be the same, just each faction would start at a different point. The final boss battle would be similar to the infernal council from Eternity vault, in which there would be eight "mini" bosses instead of one big one. It might not be more "Star Wars" in the strictest sense, but I know I would enjoy an operation that felt more like a military operation.

As a raid I guess its all right. But beating up a 3 story tentacled monster, changing colors and running in patterns and pressing bottons and whatnot with... shall we say... unrealistic... elements to each an every fight is just not matching the name on the box.

In my opinion someone should gently make the raid designers aware that they are not contructing WOW or Everquest fight.

Just my opinion.

I love it when people entitle themselves as the person who decides what is and what is not.

Ever pay attention to the name, Terror from Beyond?

the majority of the problem most people above me have is the preconceived idea that the star wars universe is all sith vs jedi. when someone adds a additional faction or menace that threatens both such people just are unable to comprehend there are more powerful races or factions in that universe. by adding such content it will make the game more fleshed out and involved.

running around and just killing the other faction is the expectation of 12 year olds in mmos. those of us that have a more sophisticated taste want more than that type of a pvp pve game mechanic which the op and some of the above desire. besides how many different ways can you kill a sith or a jedi? it wont take much content to find out that is sure.

The majority of the problem with your statement is you apparently have no idea what Star Wars is or even the Ops we already have. This game is all about the conflict between Jedi and Sith. You realize this game is set in a GALAXY WIDE WAR between them right? You realize every OP so far has been an additional faction or some menace that threatens both? People are tired of this as evidenced in this thread. They want what Star Wars is abou. Theres nothing sophisticated about you or your post and you definitely sound like a whiny 12 year old complaining about what others want since its different from you.

The majority of the problem with your statement is you apparently have no idea what Star Wars is or even the Ops we already have. This game is all about the conflict between Jedi and Sith. You realize this game is set in a GALAXY WIDE WAR between them right? You realize every OP so far has been an additional faction or some menace that threatens both? People are tired of this as evidenced in this thread. They want what Star Wars is abou. Theres nothing sophisticated about you or your post and you definitely sound like a whiny 12 year old complaining about what others want since its different from you.

Second Great Galactic War is over, Empire lost. All open conflicts has ceased. Neither side will openly send strike teams to blast trough armies and kill their leaders. You want war, you got warzones. Operations stay faction neutral, and don't get delayed because BW has to make 2 separate ops for each faction.

battle of ilum and fallen emperor are great when you play them as republic especially. As imperial they´re not quite as strong imo. There´s something satisfying about beating the opposing faction and you dont quite get that feel as imperial fighting imperial renegades.

The OP´s, i guess they´re ok. I do think it´s about time we get a raid where we can fight the opposing faction though. Even if it´s just part of the raid that´s factionbased.

First boss could be waves of troopers and a general, incoming airraids and paratroopers and something. that would be easy to mirror for both factions. general keeps calling in reinforcements untill dead.

second boss could be an elite squad of jedis, mirrorclasses for rep ofc.

3rd would be a puzzle to open a vault to the last boss/bosses. Maybe include a scoundrell boss or just put in some scoundrells in fight 1 or 2. just to have all classes represented.

from there you could make up whatever boss you wanted. It´s not like i dont like fighting aliens and droids and whatever, but i´d like to see a bit more factionbased story.

I totally agree with the OP. I want to feel like I am in a war. In the current fps and ops, I feel like a security detail. I want an op that actually is about pushing back the Empire. Not the Hurts, not somebody trapped inside of Belsavis for generations, and some giant worm.

Can we get an OP where we help a group escape Imperial slavery? The enraged timer is timer is back up coming to the prison which would wipe you, but the freed prisoners would be an ample reinforcements if you finished in time. Something to that affect.

Second Great Galactic War is over, Empire lost. All open conflicts has ceased. Neither side will openly send strike teams to blast trough armies and kill their leaders. You want war, you got warzones. Operations stay faction neutral, and don't get delayed because BW has to make 2 separate ops for each faction.

Uhm...No? Malgus usurped power and Republic and Empire both stepped in to stop him and his stealth armada because he was a threat to both. War was resumed after he was beaten. Do you know anything about the lore before you make claims? Warzones do not equate war. Thats just a pvp battleground not pve story content pertaining to the WAR THAT IS STILL GOING.

Star Wars is a multi-genre franchise, its universe can encompass pretty much anything our imagination can muster. Even though it tends to lean more towards science fiction, especially with Bioware's approach to the Old Republic, metaphysical concepts, such as the Force, alchemy, portals, sorcery, astral projection, etc., are also frequently present in this malleable universe.

Bear in mind that Star Wars is at its heart basically a homage to the space opera series of the early 20th century, the whole thematic background of the operation Terror from Beyond, in fact, fits well with the "green-eyed monster" approach to the terrifying creatures of early science fiction. Space opera fiction includes a wide variety of exotic creatures of all shapes and sizes, think of the menagerie featured in Edgar Rice Burroughs' novels. The title of the operation itself immediately reminds one of the '50s B-movie films featuring gigantic rubber-skin monsters, and the last boss in the operation is fairly similar to such monstrosities. All in all, Terror from Beyond is very much Star Wars, it's just that its focus is not as transparent as we are used to seeing.

lolwut says who?

THe conflict barely lasted any span of time. Even during the BLack Hole crisis the factions are still at war, the empire simply had to withdraw but in the process ravaged Corellia's resources.

Maybe there were just not much huge conflicts (in terms of physical encounters) between rep & imps (outside of wzs) during The Old Republic era. Thats why the movies were set in the New Reubplic era; because Jedi vs Sith makes for better cinema.

I'd rather move towards something like Brittaany_Banks talked about, Operations themed towards combating the opposing faction. Being part of the apparent on-going war would be nice for a change. Raiding opposition fleets in a PvE instance would be really cool. Familiar territory for players and you can add a divide and conquer element to it. I think timers are under-utilized in games. Race to the finish!

They did it to a small extent with Mandalorian Raiders, they can do it with an Operation - whether they want to is another matter entirely. Still, Mandalorian Raiders isn't the best example of a fun dungeon, it just never grabbed me like D7 or Kaon under Seige.

The problem is, we have a lazy development team.

By using aliens and other "non-involved parties" in these operations, they only have to design content that can be used by both factions. While we would all like to see more Pub vs Imp related content, that would force the dev team to design two separate encounters.

I would love to see a boss encounter similar to that of Kaon Under Siege turret boss.

Basic idea would be the same (no turrets), mechanics following:

1. You are defending a hill top, or a camp of republic/imperial fighters.

2. Location is under attack by random npcs, from huge waves of weak enemies to strong ones.

3. NPCs waves would be random, so you wouldn't know what comes next.

4. Instead of players sitting on turrets, you'd defend npcs sitting on those, for an example.

5. Attacks could come from any direction, sometimes from two directions at once (still random).

Idea behind this is to request team to play together with high sense of awarness and to add surprise to the encounter. The fight could be extremely easy or really hard (RNG), but rarely the same. This would make it something to look forward to. Be the waves of enemies spices with minibosses, walkers or sith, tanks or aircarriers.

As far as operations currently go, nothing has beat the moment when I entered Firebrand and Stormcaller the first time. Tanks coming in rumbling. Shooting rockets and trees falling. My sensation was "oh my god, what is going to happen". Well, rest is mechanics but the intro was awesome. :)

Yours, Rus/Mra