Why Macros belong in TOR.

_compton_

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game already allows you to keybind through your party. Why do you need a macro?

Fact is, people only want macros so they can do multiple things with one button. There is no skill involved with macros, plain and simple.

Case in point, back in the day in WoW I played rogue and had a macro that would do my full opener setup from stealth then would swap my main hand from a dagger to a sword all with the press of one button. It was the most idiotic thing ever and I abused the crap out of it. I could do a full opener with one button. Hell, back in 5.1 or 5.2 I forget which, there was two one shot macros for rogues when they got buffed. The macro literally fired off 10 abilities with one button.

Sorry but macros are stupid.

you are really bad at comprehension i see. i already said no cast sequence.

targeting, as in /target friend dispel, so when i press my hotkey, it dispels the person i intend to instead of clicking on his name plate or pressing a hotkey to target him first. same action, i am just reacting as soon as i think to do it, aka skill

mouseover....i scroll my mouse over a friendly or enemy, press my hotkey, and it performs whatever action. again...faster because i can do something as soon as i think it.

ss of high rating, or i can understand why you're against it

targeting, as in /target friend dispel, so when i press my hotkey, it dispels the person i intend to instead of clicking on his name plate or pressing a hotkey to target him first. same action, i am just reacting as soon as i think to do it, aka skill

mouseover....i scroll my mouse over a friendly or enemy, press my hotkey, and it performs whatever action. again...faster because i can do something as soon as i think it.

If asked if this could be implemented, I bet you 1000 CC their response would be something along the lines of "jeez, that would require a lot of work. Plus the engine can't handle it."

Edited by JediMasterSLC

you are really bad at comprehension i see. i already said no cast sequence.

ss of high rating, or i can understand why you're against it

Here's some comprehension for you...

la·zy [ley-zee]

adjective

1. averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent.

There is no need for ability macros in this game. Zero. There are no complicated sequences, no combination abilities, and no wide disparity between classes. Just because there is a GCD doesn't mean that you need to be able to activate at 100% efficiency.

It's a game of skill...and most of the skill aspect of TOR has already been dumbed down for the masses. GOOD players can click on name plates or use keybinds to target, then activate abilities. That's part of what makes them good players in the first place. If you need a macro to do what someone else can already do, you're the bad, not the other way around.

la·zy [ley-zee]

adjective

There is no need for ability macros in this game. Zero. There are no complicated sequences, no combination abilities, and no wide disparity between classes. Just because there is a GCD doesn't mean that you need to be able to activate at 100% efficiency.

It's a game of skill...and most of the skill aspect of TOR has already been dumbed down for the masses. GOOD players can click on name plates or use keybinds to target, then activate abilities. That's part of what makes them good players in the first place. If you need a macro to do what someone else can already do, you're the bad, not the other way around.

smh. Do you really think clicking someone's nameplate in the ops frame (or spamming your cycle next friendly target keybind until you get to the right one) and then hitting your heal/cleanse keybind, takes any more skill than what he's suggesting? Since launch, what has been dummed down besides the resolve system? Also, arguing against "the need to be able to activate at 100% efficiency".... seriously?

Edited by JediMasterSLC

la·zy [ley-zee]

adjective

a low rated challenger appears

I thought about this for about 7 seconds last night while i was doing the dishes

I often use Endure Pain, Warzone Medpack, Intercede, Invincible, and Enraged Defense in succession when I dip below 25% HP. I have a separate keybinding for each, individually. Macros would let me put it all on one button.

So then I thought "Well what if I wanted to activate ONE of those?" If it was all macro'd, I wouldn't be able to. Say I just wanted to use Enraged Defense. Too bad. Anything else in the list that is off CD will get used as well.

Plus you'll get all those annoying error messages for things that ARE on CD. And think of the server droid! In his little hamster wheel, churning away to bring me those messages. I will lighten his load a little and keep my separate keybinds.

Edited by Arlanon

I thought about this for about 7 seconds last night while i was doing the dishes

I often use Endure Pain, Warzone Medpack, Intercede, Invincible, and Enraged Defense in succession when I dip below 25% HP. I have a separate keybinding for each, individually. Macros would let me put it all on one button.

So then I thought "Well what if I wanted to activate ONE of those?" If it was all macro'd, I wouldn't be able to. Say I just wanted to use Enraged Defense. Too bad. Anything else in the list that is off CD will get used as well.

Plus you'll get all those annoying error messages for things that ARE on CD. And think of the server droid! In his little hamster wheel, churning away to bring me those messages. I will lighten his load a little and keep my separate keybinds.

you would just have an additional "oh ****" button to use them all at once. you could still individually use them

Two years from when this was originally posted and it feels like people still don't understand what the OP is talking about. People asking for macro support are not talking about out of game programs like autohotkey or software that corresponds with hardware products like Razor. They are asking for an in game macro system similar to what is available in World of Warcraft.

Very few players are defending cast sequence macros. Cast sequence macros basically can use multiple abilities with one button press. For example, a macro that allows someone to use leap and smash (whichever is up) on the same keybind. These type of macros take away from player skill by putting full rotations into one keybind. Most players do not want to see cast sequence macros added to the game.

Not all type of macros are cast sequence macros. Focus modifier macros allow a player to interact with a secondary focus target more efficiently at the cost of added keybinds. The same can be said for party member and arena 1-4 macros.

If you are going to argue that these type of macros diminish a player's skill, please ask yourself if keybinding abilities requires more skill than clicking. Then ask yourself why?

Keybinding requires more skill, because it is harder for a player to mentally program themselves to register something on screen and then react with a keybind combo rather than the click of a mouse. This becomes more difficult as a player adds more binds to their arsenal.

The same can be said about macros. Macros require a player to learn more keybinds in order to reach maximum efficiency. I'll use a guardian tank as an example. As of right now, a skill capped guardian tank will have all his abilities bound. He will have his party frames bound. He will use target nearest enemy, target next enemy, target center screen, target target's target, target nearest friendly, focus and whatever other target options he wishes to bind. He will also have bind combinations for his controlling and interrupting abilities to work off the focus frame.

Now add macros to the game. Instead of targeting party members and using abilities like guardian leap or guard, he will want to individually macro these abilities to each of his party members. That is six more keybinds required to play a guardian in arena at max skill level with macros.

But that's not all. He will also want to target faster. Separately binding each arena enemy would require another four binds to learn. He will also want an additional four keybinds to set focus to each of his arena opponents. And finally (where the number of keybinds required to play at skill cap becomes Korean :)) he is going to want to bind some of his main controlling abilities to function off of his arena 1-4 targets. At the very least these would include taunt and interrupt. Eight more buttons.

That's 22 new bind combinations required to play not even a fully skill capped guardian, if macros were introduced. How is there less skill required when you add this many new keybinds? :rolleyes:

Two years from when this was originally posted and it feels like people still don't understand what the OP is talking about. People asking for macro support are not talking about out of game programs like autohotkey or software that corresponds with hardware products like Razor. They are asking for an in game macro system similar to what is available in World of Warcraft.

Very few players are defending cast sequence macros. Cast sequence macros basically can use multiple abilities with one button press. For example, a macro that allows someone to use leap and smash (whichever is up) on the same keybind. These type of macros take away from player skill by putting full rotations into one keybind. Most players do not want to see cast sequence macros added to the game.

Not all type of macros are cast sequence macros. Focus modifier macros allow a player to interact with a secondary focus target more efficiently at the cost of added keybinds. The same can be said for party member and arena 1-4 macros.

If you are going to argue that these type of macros diminish a player's skill, please ask yourself if keybinding abilities requires more skill than clicking. Then ask yourself why?

Keybinding requires more skill, because it is harder for a player to mentally program themselves to register something on screen and then react with a keybind combo rather than the click of a mouse. This becomes more difficult as a player adds more binds to their arsenal.

The same can be said about macros. Macros require a player to learn more keybinds in order to reach maximum efficiency. I'll use a guardian tank as an example. As of right now, a skill capped guardian tank will have all his abilities bound. He will have his party frames bound. He will use target nearest enemy, target next enemy, target center screen, target target's target, target nearest friendly, focus and whatever other target options he wishes to bind. He will also have bind combinations for his controlling and interrupting abilities to work off the focus frame.

Now add macros to the game. Instead of targeting party members and using abilities like guardian leap or guard, he will want to individually macro these abilities to each of his party members. That is six more keybinds required to play a guardian in arena at max skill level with macros.

But that's not all. He will also want to target faster. Separately binding each arena enemy would require another four binds to learn. He will also want an additional four keybinds to set focus to each of his arena opponents. And finally (where the number of keybinds required to play at skill cap becomes Korean :)) he is going to want to bind some of his main controlling abilities to function off of his arena 1-4 targets. At the very least these would include taunt and interrupt. Eight more buttons.

That's 22 new bind combinations required to play not even a fully skill capped guardian, if macros were introduced. How is there less skill required when you add this many new keybinds? :rolleyes:

This.

its pure trash, you know. Idea of macros reduce quantity of keybinds, not increase.

For guardian tank, you need keybind:

1. Guardian slash + riposte + aoe slow

2. Enure + wz medpack

3. Saber throw + Force leap + force sweep + aoe slow

4. Sundering strike + blade storm

5. Target (2, 3, 4) + guard + guardian leap

- thats almost all/ You just saving time in pushing multiple buttons with combos with pushing several buttons. Easy.

And zero skill.

and where would i put them?

a low rated challenger appears

Calling someone low rated while asking for a tool that automates things is rather hypocritical. Macros are for scrubs, simple as that. You all can cry as loud as you want, but at the end of the day BW said a long time ago that macros will NEVER happen. They gave a 100% no, so get over it, or go back to pandaland with the rest of the 12 year olds who need handicaps.

Calling someone low rated while asking for a tool that automates things is rather hypocritical. Macros are for scrubs, simple as that. You all can cry as loud as you want, but at the end of the day BW said a long time ago that macros will NEVER happen. They gave a 100% no, so get over it, or go back to pandaland with the rest of the 12 year olds who need handicaps.

madtycoon already summed it up

if you bads can't see that then stay small

like i care about any of you. i'll be getting the tier 1 rewards regardless of what they do

madtycoon already summed it up

if you bads can't see that then stay small

like i care about any of you. i'll be getting the tier 1 rewards regardless of what they do

No, he didn't. You can pretend he did, but at the end of the day, he didn't. Macros have no place in swtor, or any game for that matter. If you need macros then you are bad.

its pure trash, you know. Idea of macros reduce quantity of keybinds, not increase.

For guardian tank, you need keybind:

1. Guardian slash + riposte + aoe slow

2. Enure + wz medpack

3. Saber throw + Force leap + force sweep + aoe slow

4. Sundering strike + blade storm

5. Target (2, 3, 4) + guard + guardian leap

- thats almost all/ You just saving time in pushing multiple buttons with combos with pushing several buttons. Easy.

And zero skill.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. There are many times when you'll only want to use one of the abilities within the numbered sets that you listed, meaning you'd still need to keep all of those abilities on a separate keybind like they are now. Also, NO ONE IS ADVOCATING CAST SEQUENCE MACROS, which is what your post is describing.

Edited by JediMasterSLC