Isn't Chronicle just a rip off of the force?

ChewiesArmy

1. Wrong place for this.

2. No.

3. Chronicle is a ripoff/remake of "The Covenant", a movie that came out back in 2006.

How is a movie about four ancient warlocks with magical powers the same as three random teenagers coming into surprise super powers?

The movie's premise is completely different.

Also, telekinesis existed before The Force.

How is a movie about four ancient warlocks with magical powers the same as three random teenagers coming into surprise super powers?

The movie's premise is completely different.

Also, telekinesis existed before The Force.

It's all the same to me. Like with "I am Number 4", yet another teen with Super Powers. Oh and "Jumper". What did we have there? A Teen who had a super power. Not to mention "Push" which, admittedly, had adults with powers...oh and Teenagers and Kids with Super Psychic Powers. The Idea has been overdone.

Also, Covenant wasn't ancient warlocks. They were all Teens from Families born into magic which only fully develops when they *tah-day* 18.

It's all the same to me. Like with "I am Number 4", yet another teen with Super Powers. Oh and "Jumper". What did we have there? A Teen who had a super power. Not to mention "Push" which, admittedly, had adults with powers...oh and Teenagers and Kids with Super Psychic Powers. The Idea has been overdone.

Also, Covenant wasn't ancient warlocks. They were all Teens from Families born into magic which only fully develops when they *tah-day* 18.

The bloodline was ancient, as in the Covenant, is what I was going for. Worded it weird.

The idea of having super human capabilities has been done every year for every year humans have been in existence. It's called imagination and a yearning to be something more.

Admittedly, some of those movies do run together and follow the same pattern of plot. However, Chronicle is quite different. It focuses on the realism of what would happen if three normal people suddenly became endowed with telekinetic ability. The film follows them as they progress in dealing with the powers and complications they bring, as well as trying to cope with their "normal" life. It puts a whole other take on the situation.

Greetings everyone!

We appreciate the question you put forth for discussion! We just wanted to give a small reminder that while we know this is also about another movie, that you please continue to relate it to the Star Wars™: Universe in some aspect for discussion.

Thank you! :)

I just don't see Chronicle as all that different. In "Jumper", it was a w kid in a bad situation who suddenly discovered he could 'jump' or Teleport anywhere he wanted to go. And, learning to use it, he escaped from a bad family situation and then used it to break into banks and steal money so he could build himself a new life (not all so different from Chronicle). The only problem came when the government tracked him down and tried to kill him for using his abilities.

In SW, having TK powers isn't unusual, and you either get found and taken for training, left alone if you're too weak, or if you're on an unaligned world, just never known about.

I'll also point out we've had a number of TV series about people with special abilities, like Mutant X and I think at least 3 other TV series that were all about people with psychic powers (can't remember the names). So, even if people like Chronicle, for me the idea has been overdone and they're not really being all that imaginative. They're milking a dead horse is what they're doing, and what they have planned for the "Akira" movie makes me want to go murder their directors.

1. Wrong place for this.

2. No.

3. Chronicle is a ripoff/remake of "The Covenant", a movie that came out back in 2006.

Wrong I have seen chronicle is nothing like the powers of the force, or the Covenant please atleast see the movie before you start talking about it. Its a really good movie.

I just don't see Chronicle as all that different. In "Jumper", it was a w kid in a bad situation who suddenly discovered he could 'jump' or Teleport anywhere he wanted to go. And, learning to use it, he escaped from a bad family situation and then used it to break into banks and steal money so he could build himself a new life (not all so different from Chronicle). The only problem came when the government tracked him down and tried to kill him for using his abilities.

In SW, having TK powers isn't unusual, and you either get found and taken for training, left alone if you're too weak, or if you're on an unaligned world, just never known about.

I'll also point out we've had a number of TV series about people with special abilities, like Mutant X and I think at least 3 other TV series that were all about people with psychic powers (can't remember the names). So, even if people like Chronicle, for me the idea has been overdone and they're not really being all that imaginative. They're milking a dead horse is what they're doing, and what they have planned for the "Akira" movie makes me want to go murder their directors.

You sir have also not seen the movie and have no idea what you are talking about. See the movie then come here and tell me its like the movie jumper. The only that they have in common is that they have a bad home life. That is it. This kid doesnt even try to run away from his home, in the end he let the power go to his head and had a bunch of emotion and tried to save his mom.

You know, I have to relate something I read several years ago on IMDB. Sci-Fi (back when it was still Sci-Fi and not SyFy), released a movie called Darklight, in which Lilith was a teenage girl stripped of her memories by a secret society sworn to end her evil (they didn't kill her because it was prophesied that she would one day be pivotal in destroying a greater evil.) Anyway, in the comments for this movie, someone claims that Sci-Fi stole his script, because he'd sent them a script about a young man who uses magical power to fight evil, and all they did was change the gender of the main character.

Now, "young man who uses magical power to fight evil" may very well be the first story humankind ever told. That's pretty much the plot of Star Wars, even (Anakin and Luke are young men, the Force is magic, the Sith are evil, bing-bang-boom.) Lord of the Rings. . . Frodo's a young man, the One Ring is certainly magic, and he uses it (by destroying it) to destroy the evil power of Sauron. Even King Arthur is a young man with a magic sword (and actual magician!) who fights the evil of society's basest instincts.

I recall one of my high school literature teachers explaining the idea that there are really only twelve stories in the whole world, and every story every told is a variation on one of those twelve "core" plots. Now, I don't think the number is quite that small, but if you boil down any given story to its most fundamental archetype (such as "Young Man With Magical Power Fighting Evil), you'll find that a lot of seeming very disparate stories are actually very close to each other.

Some futher examples of this archetype:

Willow

The Matrix (the "magic" being the ability to control the Matrix. . . which, since magic is pretty much the ability to control reality, and the Matrix is a virtual reality that only very few people know is virtual, this still pretty much fits the definition of "magic.")

Any Superhero Movie ("magic" in this context being either actual magic, in the case folk like Ghost Rider and Doctor Strange, or technology that may as well be magic like Iron Man armor, Captain America's Super-Soldier serum, or many of Batman's gizmos, or superpowers barely within or completely outside the realm of plausibility, like Superman, Spider-Man, and the Fantasic Four.)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (replace "young man" with "young woman." Buffy's physical powers pretty much stem from magic, and she's been shown to utilize actual magic, in the form of friendly spellcasters, on several occasions.

Supernatural (while Sam and Dean don't really use magic [except for Sam's psychic power], any number of their hunting tools are based on fact that supernatural beings just don't react the same way as humans to ordinary things like salt, iron, or certain phrases spoken in Latin. Then, of course, there's the Colt and Ruby's Knife.)

Dark City

The Crow

Since when did the Force consist of some kind of "alien" relic that gave powers to FLY and control things? I can't recall no Jedi or Sith being able to fly without some kind of jet pack or something.

Also, I Am Number Four was a terrific movie. Out of anything, I Am Number Four is and will be the only movie that I can compare Chronicle with. I'm currently re-reading the book now.

Chronicle isn't a ripoff of the Force. It's just a new sci-fi movie that have super-powers.

I almost forgot another one; The Craft

You know, Teen witches and whatnot. Could do things like, oh, Levitate and TK objects, project illusions and whatnot.

But someone mentioned Dark City. Now, I liked Dark City. That was pretty cool. John Murdock, the only human in the whole city with the power to Tune. An ability only used by parasitic aliens.

Now then, for me, I don't have to see Chronicle to know what's going to happen with the movie. Quite frankly, being an Anime/Manga buff, I've seen just about every power in fiction be used in some manner or another, Mostly by Teenagers. There's always the Group that missuses it, and always the 'good' guy who changes ways and uses power to help people. That's just Standard Operating Procedure for these types of movies/series.

Quite frankly, the most Original power I have ever seen in fiction is Paper Magic. It's from a series called Read or Die/Dream. It's essentially the manipulation of Paper and Paper Products, everything from books to toilet paper is open game. And for the most part, those who are Paper Masters are also bibliophiles (people who love books to an almost religious degree). With this they can do any number of things with paper, from stopping bullets to carving through steel doors. To blocking against explosions and creating constructs (like golems and such) through the use of paper, the size of which is dictated by how much paper is available for use. Even making weapons (mostly melee types and bows) using paper. The greatest of Paper Masters can even resist against water and fire from damaging the paper.

Some would think "Well paper is made from trees, so does that mean they can control trees?" and the answer is No. It's exclusively paper for the fact it partly revolves around Faith and the power of the Written Word, as Paper is used to record everything from images to History, and convey a writers emotions and character. It can get very complex, though it's actually quite simple.

Anyway, that's just my take. I have yet to ever see any other series or fiction do anything remotely like ROD.

Quite frankly, the most Original power I have ever seen in fiction is Paper Magic. It's from a series called Read or Die/Dream.

That was an awesome anime. The scene that sticks in my head is when the mousy little librarian schoolgirl ('cause let's face it, it's an anime) takes all the cash out of a guy's wallet and makes a katana.