Hot Prospect Name Concerns

EricMusco

And the snowflakes won...what a joke. This is why the game is failing.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Seriously? you want to boil every problem in the game leading to declining numbers to people complaining about a name that has been known for only a couple days?

If every person on the internet was mature enough to treat the name as just a name, i'd agree with you. But this is the internet.

Considering this probably took only a few minutes to change, I'd consider it worthwhile to stop this from devolving into nonsense. Now we can look back at these last couple days and laugh at the name that almost was (like Jedi Wizard...)

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I think is worth keeping in mind about how the change was presented. Consider what sounds better

"We changed the name as some people may find it offensive..." (moral high ground)

"We created a dumb name and realized our little joke fell flat..." (admitting to a mistake without any qualification or spin doctoring)

Considering this game has FAR more offensive content in it than Hot Prospect, which do you think is the actual reason the name changed?

Hey folks,

We have made the decision to rename The Hot Prospect server to Satele Shan. Sell out! :D Since we announced the new server names, we have received some concerns from people regarding the name The Hot Prospect. Real concerns? Don't be silly. :p Specifically, that phrase could be taken in slang terms to be derogatory towards certain individuals. Individuals as in the general term or specifc? :cool:We take this very seriously as we would never want to create a situation where someone is made uncomfortable by something such as a server name. :D:D Sarcastic baloney!

You guys were laughing in the break room before... and you're laughing in the break room now! :D

-eric

/5charthing

I am glad the Dev's were listening. Hot Prospect was turning into quite the derogatory slang in conversations on forums and in fleet chat. Not speaking up and standing up for what you believe in, you will fall for anything. Lesson learned. Going forward I am honored to know that Harbinger will now be called Satele Shan. :):D:cool:

"We created a dumb name and realized our little joke fell flat..." (admitting to a mistake without any qualification or spin doctoring)

...this feels truthy to me.

To be honest, I didn't care all that much. I only play on the one server (Hot Pockets/Satelle Shan as it happens) so I'm pretty much never going to see the server name. Just load the game, log into my character.

....STILL

Hot Prospect was a pretty lame name, without a strong Star Wars tie.

I would have preferred "The Shan Legacy" (going back to Bastilla and including Theron)

and also "The Malgus Imperium" (which gets away from the one specific person, and sort of embraces a time in the SWTOR universe).

Yes, I think this is what happened. This isn't about offending anybody. The developers just don't want to admit that they gave one of the new servers a really stupid name.

I remember an early episode of Star Trek : The Next Generation which had some dialogue that implied that the name of the Klingon homeworld was "Kling."

I'm guessing it was one of those things that "seemed like a good idea at the time." Later on, though, the show's creators realized that it was a pretty silly-sounding name, so they came up with a new name, "Qo'noS" (pronounced "Kronos") for the Klingon homeworld.

That is, I think, what this is. They thought it was a good server name at first, but then they saw players mocking the hell out of it, calling it "Hot Pocket," "Hot Potato," and a whole lot of other, much less flattering, names, and decided it was just a bad idea all around.

I mainly play lightside characters, so you need to change the name of my new server from the hideous malgus name to Skywalker or Leia. Icant play on a server whitch clearly is reeking of the darkside, but i know you understand that and change it asap as you did the hot prospect. Thanks in advance

Yes, I think this is what happened. This isn't about offending anybody. The developers just don't want to admit that they gave one of the new servers a really stupid name.

I remember an early episode of Star Trek : The Next Generation which had some dialogue that implied that the name of the Klingon homeworld was "Kling."

I'm guessing it was one of those things that "seemed like a good idea at the time." Later on, though, the show's creators realized that it was a pretty silly-sounding name, so they came up with a new name, "Qo'noS" (pronounced "Kronos") for the Klingon homeworld.

That is, I think, what this is. They thought it was a good server name at first, but then they saw players mocking the hell out of it, calling it "Hot Pocket," "Hot Potato," and a whole lot of other, much less flattering, names, and decided it was just a bad idea all around.

Agreed. It was just a bad name that probably worked best as a joke around the office, and when the jokes and mockery from the players started, it was time to change it and try to save face. I don't think this was about responding to "snowflakes" at all.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Hey folks,

We have made the decision to rename The Hot Prospect server to Satele Shan. Since we announced the new server names, we have received some concerns from people regarding the name The Hot Prospect. Specifically, that phrase could be taken in slang terms to be derogatory towards certain individuals. We take this very seriously as we would never want to create a situation where someone is made uncomfortable by something such as a server name.

-eric

I wasn't bothered by the name myself though I did get a laugh when I read the Roadmap since I didn't read it correctly. I figured, ah must be an west coast thing. Had no idea it was taken from SWTOR lore. Heck, I didn't even know there were KOTOR comics of any type (maybe you should sell those in the store ;))

If you ever change the server names again might I suggest East Coast, West Coast, etc etc? :)

Guys, this is getting overblown. I hated the name Hot Prospect and I am very thankful they came to their senses and changed it. Satele Shan is not the first name I would have chosen, but I will take that any day over Hot Prospect.

But the main reasons I hated the name Hot Prospect is because it is not only too silly, it is too obscure of a Star Wars reference, and is really just a joke name. And I don't want my server being made into a joke because it got a stupid name.

Trying to turn this political is stupid, it was just a dumb name that needed to be changed, because it sounded dumb and would always have to be explained to someone who doesn't understand the reference.

Edited by Signalights

While I think Satele Shan is a better choice, I kind of feel all the server names should be neutral, without any jedi/sith names in there. I really like the Star Forge name. If I wasn't bound to the Satele Shan server I'd probably pick that based on the name.

I suppose if they desperately want names of people for the servers, they could throw Revan in there? He's been both sides of the Force. And what about the Mandalorians? Why are none of the servers representing them? (But thank you for not making a Hutt server. No one would want to play on that!)

To all the people who complained it's offensive:

... do you guys even know what a "hot prospect" is?

Prospect: (noun)

a) an apparent probability of advancement, success, profit, etc.

b) the outlook for the future

When a prospect is "hot," that means it is exciting, profitable, and happening or about to happen very quickly. So the term "hot prospect" means, basically, an event or opportunity that is exciting and/or profitable.

How on earth is that offensive? If the word "prospect" makes you think of something else, that's your problem. If the term means something else in urban slang, so what? Slang terms aren't universal. What, are people going to get all huffy and run screaming to their safe spaces because of some imaginary "discrimination"? (By the way - I'm female.) If you're the kind to be seriously offended by a sever name, you have bigger issues to worry about. Like someone else pointed out - "The Fatman" was sooooo offensive. I'm sure various other servers (Ebon Hawk, Red Eclipse etc.) are horrifically offensive to all of two people, as well. Let's censor ALL the server names so NOBODY can be offended in the month before merges! :rolleyes: (And we can't just rename them "East Coast" and "West Coast." That's VERY offensive to people who are, say, from the West Coast playing on the East Coast, and vice versa!! /sarcasm off now)

Now, is "The Hot Prospect" a silly name? Yeah; it does sound kind of goofy. I'm glad it got changed, sure...but it's not offensive. Geez, you snowflakes...

To all the people who complained it's offensive:

... do you guys even know what a "hot prospect" is?

Prospect: (noun)

a) an apparent probability of advancement, success, profit, etc.

b) the outlook for the future

When a prospect is "hot," that means it is exciting, profitable, and happening or about to happen very quickly. So the term "hot prospect" means, basically, an event or opportunity that is exciting and/or profitable.

How on earth is that offensive? If the word "prospect" makes you think of something else, that's your problem. If the term means something else in urban slang, so what? Slang terms aren't universal. What, are people going to get all huffy and run screaming to their safe spaces because of some imaginary "discrimination"? (By the way - I'm female.) If you're the kind to be seriously offended by a sever name, you have bigger issues to worry about. Like someone else pointed out - "The Fatman" was sooooo offensive. I'm sure various other servers (Ebon Hawk, Red Eclipse etc.) are horrifically offensive to all of two people, as well. Let's censor ALL the server names so NOBODY can be offended in the month before merges! :rolleyes: (And we can't just rename them "East Coast" and "West Coast." That's VERY offensive to people who are, say, from the West Coast playing on the East Coast, and vice versa!! /sarcasm off now)

Now, is "The Hot Prospect" a silly name? Yeah; it does sound kind of goofy. I'm glad it got changed, sure...but it's not offensive. Geez, you snowflakes...

This post deserves​ a big fat like!

The one thing that has amazed me abput this whole thread is that some people actually give a crap what the gosh darn NAME on their server is xD It makes literally zero difference to your experience on the game. ZERO. People saying they wouldn't play on it cos of the name are either liars or mental patients. I couldn't give a fart in a hurricane what the servers are called or how "offensive" they are to certain unbelievably thin skinned people. They could be called "up yours, pal" for all I care. People who seriously get offended by anything in a game are hilarious xD Like the people who were outraged when CoD MW2 made you kill civilians. Oh NO!!!!!! The pixels died!!!! :rolleyes: The only good reason ANYBODY could ever have for offense at a game is if it personally called you a nerfherder (cleaned it up xD) Edited by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

The one thing that has amazed me abput this whole thread is that some people actually give a crap what the gosh darn NAME on their server is xD It makes literally zero difference to your experience on the game. ZERO. People saying they wouldn't play on it cos of the name are either liars or mental patients. I couldn't give a fart in a hurricane what the servers are called or how "offensive" they are to certain unbelievably thin skinned people. They could be called "up yours, pal" for all I care. People who seriously get offended by anything in a game are hilarious xD Like the people who were outraged when CoD MW2 made you kill civilians. Oh NO!!!!!! The pixels died!!!! :rolleyes: The only good reason ANYBODY could ever have for offense at a game is if it personally called you a nerfherder (cleaned it up xD)

I feel pretty boss being able to serve under Malgus. Not gonna lie.:rak_03: At least the hate for it isn't large so it'll be renamed, and now that there's Satele Shan. It's like the good old days!

Rep Vs imp. English/UK server called Malgus and the American server called Satele Shan..... Is there some hidden swtor meaning behind this Devs.🤔🤔🤔

Hey folks,

We have made the decision to rename The Hot Prospect server to Satele Shan. Since we announced the new server names, we have received some concerns from people regarding the name The Hot Prospect. Specifically, that phrase could be taken in slang terms to be derogatory towards certain individuals. We take this very seriously as we would never want to create a situation where someone is made uncomfortable by something such as a server name.

We will be updating all of our communications (such as the FAQ and blog) to reflect the new name in the coming days. Thank you for your understanding.

-eric

Not so fast. "Satele Shan" is a derogatory slang term denigrating transgendered people in Cambodia. I guess you'll have to figure out a new name.

Edited by Dayshadow