Subtitle and spoken language

ShieldProtection

Hey, is it possible to change the subtitle language and spoken language? Have to change it to German instead of English for temporary reasons, can I have subtitles in English but spoken language to German? I did look up in game however there are no such options in audio/sound category, perhaps I can edit some .INI file in somewhere? Thanks in advance,

As I understand it each language version of the game is a separate download with different assets. To change language you would need the full German download of the game. I suppose if you knew what assets were the subtitles from one language you could replace the subtitles of the other language but I really wouldn't go around swapping asset files as it could easily get you banned from the game for altering the code you are using on their live server.

Hey, is it possible to change the subtitle language and spoken language? Have to change it to German instead of English for temporary reasons, can I have subtitles in English but spoken language to German? I did look up in game however there are no such options in audio/sound category, perhaps I can edit some .INI file in somewhere? Thanks in advance,

The language is a launcher option (click the two-gears button lower left), and changing it will (if the assets aren't already present) download all(1) the new language's text and sound files. There are probably some localised texture files containing the names of things (e.g. Alderaan - English <==> Alderande - French, so any words that say "Alderaan" in Aurebesh on signs or panels will have to change), and maybe even some meshes for e.g. sculpted planet names, although I don't think either Dromund Kaas or Hoth change their names between the languages.

And no, there's no option to have the voices in one language and the subtitles in another, except when NPCs are speaking Alien Turkey Gobble, which sounds the same in all localisations.

(1) It won't erase the English assets, so the game's size on your HD/SSD will grow, and it won't update the language you're not using when there's a patch, but when you switch back to English after the patch, the launcher will download the updates to the English assets rather than the whole set.

As I understand it each language version of the game is a separate download with different assets. To change language you would need the full German download of the game. I suppose if you knew what assets were the subtitles from one language you could replace the subtitles of the other language but I really wouldn't go around swapping asset files as it could easily get you banned from the game for altering the code you are using on their live server.

Actually it's just against the rules to talk about modifying game files. There is no reliable way for them to detect cosmetic only changes to the game client (nor would they give a hoot, so long as you're not cheating)

No, it's not possible but that would certainly be an improvement.

STEEP for instance has that.

Since I'm german but stream mostly in English and with English clients, subtitles in German would be cool for my non English speaking viewers. Well, sadly SWTOR, as much as we love this game, is so WAY behind the mark in so many aspects in 2019 and for years already.

Edited by Khaleg