Question...I get stuck moving sometimes, answer?

RoughRaptors

Alright this has been going on for a long time now and no one I know has encountered it. I can't imagine what could be causing it aside from keybindings, but I looked it all over and nothing I see could cause it unless something within the game code is causing it when I press a certain combination of buttons.

Basically what happens is that I will be playing like normal, and then I will get completely stuck either moving forward or backwards. I can't cast anything except forcequake, salvation, and my instant casts (making me near worthless). If I turn on auto run while stuck walking backwards, I will stop in place, but still be unable to cast. If i am stuck walking forwards, I have to hold down the S key to keep myself from moving. Very...very rarely I can mash my keyboard hard enough and it will break out of whatever has happened, but most of the time this does not end until I either relog or the Warzone ends.

If anyone has had similar experiences or has any clue on how to fix this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

[sOLVED] Someone has already mentioned it, but while I have no idea why the 'stuck in motion' issue occurs, I have confirmed that it can be undone by unbinding then re-binding the move command (whichever direction is stuck).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
Alright this has been going on for a long time now and no one I know has encountered it. I can't imagine what could be causing it aside from keybindings, but I looked it all over and nothing I see could cause it unless something within the game code is causing it when I press a certain combination of buttons.

Basically what happens is that I will be playing like normal, and then I will get completely stuck either moving forward or backwards. I can't cast anything except forcequake, salvation, and my instant casts (making me near worthless). If I turn on auto run while stuck walking backwards, I will stop in place, but still be unable to cast. If i am stuck walking forwards, I have to hold down the S key to keep myself from moving. Very...very rarely I can mash my keyboard hard enough and it will break out of whatever has happened, but most of the time this does not end until I either relog or the Warzone ends.

If anyone has had similar experiences or has any clue on how to fix this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

tie your shoes

For what it's worth...

I've had this happen to me off and on, at least once, in every online game I've ever played (or at least every online game with constant movement and multiple binds, like MMOs). It actually used to happen to me relatively frequently in WoW (maybe once every 10 days or so), and in LoTRO, EQ2, STO, and SWTOR (both back at launch and since I've been back).

Sometimes it's spinning like the turn key is stuck, sometimes it's the camera spinning, sometimes it's running forward or back...it manifests different ways. I've had it happen on wired keyboards and mice, wireless keyboards and mice, wired Ethernet connections, wireless internet, and across maybe 6 different physical computers....so none of those things are a common denominator.

Given all the different parameters, I honestly don't think it has anything to do with SWTOR, equipment, or any particular key or mouse binding. I think it's more fundamental to the interactions between the local system input (the keys), the local game client where the keybinds are stored, the game server, and how packets containing commands are received, decoded, and parsed by the server.

Every time I thought I had it nailed down to a specific keybind, setting, or behavior of mine (unintentionally fat-fingering a bind, or always spamming certain keys in sequence, for example), it'd pop back up again after awhile. I think what was really happening was that every time I thought I had a smoking gun, whatever communication/microlag scenario had actually caused it simply resolved and didn't re-occur for awhile. I didn't actually fix or solve anything, I just thought I had.

So, however much that helps....no idea whether these things are "caused" client-side, server-side, or in between....I kind of suspect it doesn't matter. I eventually just started looking at it as a thing that happened every now and again when playing certain types of games, because nailing it down was gonna drive me crazy.