Crew Skills

AoriiShiiCho

New trooper/commando, what are the best crew skills to have?

Armormech + Scavenging + Underworld Trading

I like those b/c I can craft gear for comps and myself throughout the leveling process. Armormech and Scavenging becomes much less valuable at cap, but Underworld Trading remains a cash cow.

Artifice is ok while leveling, but really strong financially at cap.

to me, Armormech is useless. Once you get orange gear, you never need any armormech, unless you are making augs. Better to get a full set of orange gear, then make your trooper a cybertech. With Cyber, you can then make armoring and mods to update that orange gear right up to cap. Take scavenging and Underworld and you can continously update your armor to be top of the line with no cost. Cyber also has the added perk of creating/using the grenades. Which is a cash cow as well as useful in pvp/pve.

Biochem is a close second, to save money. a reusable stim/medpac is a nice feature to save credits. Though medpacs are easy enough to come by, and stims can be bought relatively cheap.

Is it practical to do the whole WoW thing, and just take gathering professions? I've been doing Scavenging, Bioanalysis, and Investigation on my Commando, and it seems to be working well, but I do spend a lot of time picking stuff up off the ground, and I wonder if I'm missing out.

If you have other crafters that may use the mats or just want to generate coin to buy the things you need then all gathering is a decent idea. For me I did all gathering on my Trooper until level 45ish when I powered up cybertech with all the mats I had gathered. At one point on my server I was the only one selling the end game purple space mods, well, for a whole day I was lol

You will want to end up with one or the other because of the end game reusable med kits or grenades. I would go grenades if you pvp because med kits share the cool down with the pvp ones. If you are doing healing PvE then med kit is good, probably good for the DPS as well.

If you are solo PvE then I would probably go with the grenades because you tend to use the dual self/companion kit instead of the self one.

So, hope that helps.

Just wanted to chime in and add a point not previously mentioned. A previous poster mentioned that Trooper is the best in the game for armormech and listed the relevant bonuses, but there is an additional reason during leveling to 50 that troopers should consider armormech. Trooper is the only class where all of it's companions share the same primary stat as it does (aim). This means that if one takes armor, investing the time and effort to RE to purple recipes is significantly more worthwhile, as any learned recipes can be used not only for oneself, but for every companion except 4x (droid parts).

You can also craft and sell these purples on the GtN once you've outleveled them. Yes I know, hordes of folks will tell you that you can't, that there's no market for purple non level 50 armor. Ignore them. I sell sub 50 purple armors all the time. It's not a get rich quick scheme but it is quite profitable.

Taking this into consideration I would say that while one may still debate whether this or that crew skill is the best to take for a trooper, I would assert that if one is playing alts, and intends to do armormech AT ALL, then trooper is by far the best choice with which to do it.

Cybertech works very well for a trooper. Since all your companions use the same stats as you, it is easy to put them in orange gear, keep ears, armoring and mods up to date and use your planet comms for enhancements.

Then post level 50, you have a viable endgame crafter, able to RE mods/armoring/ears for endgame schematics and mats.

Cybertech works very well for a trooper. Since all your companions use the same stats as you, it is easy to put them in orange gear, keep ears, armoring and mods up to date and use your planet comms for enhancements.

Then post level 50, you have a viable endgame crafter, able to RE mods/armoring/ears for endgame schematics and mats.

How is Artifice, Archeology, Treasure Hunting?

Thanks

In my opinion biochem or cybertech. For pvp take biochem for the Stims for pve you can take either biochem or cybertech ( mods - ship upgrades ...) All the others are worthless at 50 at this time. Maybe armour mech for the rakata gear for pve but that's it. Unless bioware changes something.

How is Cybertech, Scavenging & Slicing?

How is Cybertech, Scavenging & Slicing?

This is my favorite combination when levelling, even the characters i level strictly by pvp.

In you plan on levelling for pve, slicing is a huge money maker if you sell the items you get (schematics/missions) from missions, plus if gives you some extra cash with the slicing boxes out there. Though UW lets you make some huge cash as well if you sell the blue/purple metals.

However you level, cyber/scavenging lets you make both armoring and/mods every over level, meaning your armor is always up to date (assuming you buy all orange armor pieces at some time, which is very cheap on gtn now). If you took UW instead of slicing, you can even keep yourself in purple (uw need to make purple items) armorings/mods every other level. Then you get the added bonus of making grenades to use, which comes in very handy in pvp and in pve.

Biochem is nice, and i did level that one once. But all you really get with this is a reusable stim you can use (which is alot cheaper to buy on gtn than mods/armoring prices, as you would need 8 of each to keep current). medpacks/adrenels are useless to make, as you either find them in large numbers in pve, or for pvp the wz medpacks are much, much better and you cant make those. Oh, and with cybertech you can make ship parts in you like space missions as well.

Now at 50, the reusable stimpack from biochem will save you tons of money. and at 50 cybertech is just basically a grenade maker (unless you make to sell on gtn, which makes tons of money in armoring/mods). Though if you find/make the armoring/mod 27 items, you will become a very, very wealthy person if you sell them.

Sorry for the length, my fingers just kept typing and typing. But for levelling, my preference with all my characters is to go cyber/scavenging/underworld, and once at 50, since i have multiple 50's now, i switch most of them to biochem/bio/diplomancy to use the reusable stim (i only pvp), and leave only a couple in cyber/saveng/UW to keep making armorings/mods/grenades to sell on gtn and for helping equip my alts.

If this is your first character or you dont have cyber yet, i would definately recommend cyber/scav/UW though, for the money to save/make and utility you have (grenades).

This is my favorite combination when levelling, even the characters i level strictly by pvp.

In you plan on levelling for pve, slicing is a huge money maker if you sell the items you get (schematics/missions) from missions, plus if gives you some extra cash with the slicing boxes out there. Though UW lets you make some huge cash as well if you sell the blue/purple metals.

However you level, cyber/scavenging lets you make both armoring and/mods every over level, meaning your armor is always up to date (assuming you buy all orange armor pieces at some time, which is very cheap on gtn now). If you took UW instead of slicing, you can even keep yourself in purple (uw need to make purple items) armorings/mods every other level. Then you get the added bonus of making grenades to use, which comes in very handy in pvp and in pve.

Biochem is nice, and i did level that one once. But all you really get with this is a reusable stim you can use (which is alot cheaper to buy on gtn than mods/armoring prices, as you would need 8 of each to keep current). medpacks/adrenels are useless to make, as you either find them in large numbers in pve, or for pvp the wz medpacks are much, much better and you cant make those. Oh, and with cybertech you can make ship parts in you like space missions as well.

Now at 50, the reusable stimpack from biochem will save you tons of money. and at 50 cybertech is just basically a grenade maker (unless you make to sell on gtn, which makes tons of money in armoring/mods). Though if you find/make the armoring/mod 27 items, you will become a very, very wealthy person if you sell them.

Sorry for the length, my fingers just kept typing and typing. But for levelling, my preference with all my characters is to go cyber/scavenging/underworld, and once at 50, since i have multiple 50's now, i switch most of them to biochem/bio/diplomancy to use the reusable stim (i only pvp), and leave only a couple in cyber/saveng/UW to keep making armorings/mods/grenades to sell on gtn and for helping equip my alts.

If this is your first character or you dont have cyber yet, i would definately recommend cyber/scav/UW though, for the money to save/make and utility you have (grenades).

I have an Assassin with Cybertech, Scavenging, Underworld Trading but most likely using Trooper as main & still deciding on crew skills.