Can't choose a class (not new)

Jleyland

Hey, I've been having a lot of trouble choosing a class in swtor and it's really stopping me from enjoying the game. I played WoW for a good 3 years and had about 7 85's ranging from warrior to warlock. The bottom line is I'm not 100% on what I exactly prefer ranged or melee dps or maybe even tanking or healing. I've played every class to at least level 11 and I'm still just not sure what I want, any help would be greatly appreciated and any more info I can give I will. :)

Hey, I've been having a lot of trouble choosing a class in swtor and it's really stopping me from enjoying the game. I played WoW for a good 3 years and had about 7 85's ranging from warrior to warlock. The bottom line is I'm not 100% on what I exactly prefer ranged or melee dps or maybe even tanking or healing. I've played every class to at least level 11 and I'm still just not sure what I want, any help would be greatly appreciated and any more info I can give I will. :)

Um, you're not really giving us anything to work with. You're basically saying you've played all the play types, and you don't have a preference for any of them, and you've played all the SWTOR classes to 11 and don't have a favorite. Answer? Pick one, because you're not really going to get any help from the community, and the game is about what you like.

Yeh sorry for being so vague xD Well basically being able to solo things like heroic quests and a very active rotation dps/viability at max isn't much concern for me although I'm planning on doing operations I'd rather picka. Class/role that's fun for me.

Yeh sorry for being so vague xD Well basically being able to solo things like heroic quests and a very active rotation dps/viability at max isn't much concern for me although I'm planning on doing operations I'd rather picka. Class/role that's fun for me.

Sadly, nobody can tell you what you consider fun.

There really isn't any way for us to tell you what you'll enjoy most. If there was on class that was better than all the others for everyone, everyone would just play that class. I like playing most of them, just pick one that seems appealing and most likely you'll enjoy it.

First principles:

1. Do you want to be Empire or Republic? This will cut your options in half. I'm a bit of a goody-2-shoes by nature so I was always going to play Pub side first.

2. Do you have a preference for the "Force" type aspect of the universe? This again will cut your options in half. For me this was a no brainer, my first toon HAD to be a force user cause that's what I loved about the Star Wars mythology.

3. Did any of the stories you started seem more interesting to you? As you seem to have no "playstyle" preference why not go with the story you enjoyed more. Personally I really enjoyed the JK story and the IA story most, SI story definitely least (Note I haven't leveled all 8 possibilities yet so others may have good/bad ratings)

4. What will be easier to get Group content as you level? It seems a basic fact that there is an excess of DPS players relative to Tanks & Healers so if you want to run FPs etc while you level you will have much quicker "pops" by playing one of those roles. My first toon was a DPS, and my next 3 were Healers or Tank for this very reason.

5. JUST ROLL A DIE! Seriously, if you have no clear preference you may as well just pick one at random and get it to 55. At least then you will have a reference point for what YOU did enjoy and what you didn't. From there you can choose you next toon to level.

Good luck with your choice,

PS. I should also have maybe mentioned PvP. I'm no expert on PvP and I don't know if it interests you either but some classes seem to have an easier time of it than others. My Sentinel suffers from serious squishyness, for instance. However, my Sniper loves getting in a good spot and DPSing from a distance. Like I said I'm NO expert, PvP is very much a recreational pursuit for me but you might check out the PvP forums if this is a factor you consider important.

Well I think past choices show a preference for roles that are quite active like sort so like frontline combat with a degree of survivability

In terms of armor appearance heavy armor is my favourite

Then perhaps Jedi Guardian or Sith Juggernaut are the options for you. They can Tank or DPS, have the Heavy Armour and get right in amongst the frontline (read Melee).

Seems as good a reason as any. I have a Lv 40 Juggernaut and I am really enjoying playing him! :)

Thanks a lot for the long post. Well I'd say empire is preff. In terms of the force well. In wow warrior kind of made me feel uneasy as against say melee magic classes and magic classes I didn't like the feeling that in a world like that there's no way a warrior could take down someone like a mage or death knight sounds weird but still.

i would recommend the juggernaut based on what you've said so far. it is pretty much exactly the same skills wise as a warrior in wow iirc. it can tank and is a force user on the imperial side. it is melee as well and although it's combat isn't super fast paced, it is of decent speed. uses heavy armor too. they have very good survivability as a tank.

The only thing I can do is to tell you which ones I like and don't like and the reasoning behind it:

* I'm not a fan of VG/PT: I feel that the class is bland. I want a pure ranged or pure melee class and not something inbetween, mid range'ish.

*I'm not a fan of merc/commando: This is more a matter of these two being replaceable by classes, which atleast IMO, are much better at doing the same thing.

*I'm torn when it comes to GS/Sniper: I like the class in raids because you get the most bang for the buck but in every other enviroment I just find them to be "meh" in comparison to for instance sorc/sage.

*Not a big fan of sin/shadow: This is probably because I had played sage/sorc for the longest time when I rolled a shadow. The melee part just feels like a restriction to me. They're ok and really good at certain things but the fun factor is IMO lower than on other classes.

I've never rolled a guardian/jugg so I can't speak on that topic.

Now, the ones I like:

*Scoundrel/operative: Fun dps specs to mess around on, far from the best though (or atleast until 2.6 drops),and my favorite heal spec for both PvP and PvE.

*Sage/sorc: Really smooth in solo PvE, viable in raids and good in warzones as long as you stay away from Arena.

*Sent/Mara: It's Star wars.