Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

yes, put SWTOR on SSD (even your listed SATA3 ssd)...and, as the above member emphasized, make sure your gpu and mem is good...especially if you can afford the option of an SSD, you should be able to afford selecting a good AMD or NVIDIA gpu, and RAM and PSU...if this is a "new" system, odds are you're going to select anyway from an optioned group of quad-core cpu's in the minimum, which is good also - and, yep, streaming games draw from a cpu's cores...no doubt you'll have an awesome system for gaming :) good luck to you.

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPU: Q6600 @ 2400MHz

RAM: 3GB DDR2

GPU : 460 GTX 1GB SuperClocked

If anyone plays with a similiar spec to the above, I'd love to know how it ran. I'm hoping for medium settings with a playable framerate? Please let me know. Thanks

I only ordered the GPU today (upgraded from a 8800gtx), so hopefully by the time it arrives tomorrow I'll also have my early access. Hopefully my CPU and low RAM won't be too much of a bottleneck?

I sure hope its server side,

end of beta I had zero issues all my settings on high, as of yesterday I had to reduce everything to low, turn off shadow, just to get a smooth walking, and combat.

Windows 7 x64 bit 16gigs of Ram

AMD Quad Core overclocked to 3.9

AMD Radeon 6840 HD 1 gig of ram

plenty of HD space

I did noticed when in game if you bring up task manager 2 process to the star wars launcher is running, 1 is well over 1.3gig of ram, other around 256mb..

If anyone plays with a similiar spec to the above, I'd love to know how it ran. I'm hoping for medium settings with a playable framerate? Please let me know. Thanks

I only ordered the GPU today (upgraded from a 8800gtx), so hopefully by the time it arrives tomorrow I'll also have my early access. Hopefully my CPU and low RAM won't be too much of a bottleneck?

EVGA 780i

Q6600 oced to 3 on air.

8 gig of ram recent upgrade it was a MAJOR boost it helped streamline it and been running on ultra in rift all week. zone events are still a particle hell lag fest.

460 gtx also.

In beta the only lag I noticed with 4g of meh clocked ram was lag on the particle shots from the smuggler class.

Other than that I almost always turn bloom off it gets annoying.

So I started playing today for the first time. For some reason I'm pretty laggy =( I have good computer and internet so don't know what it is. I decided to run in windows mode hoping that would help but it didn't Can someone help?

Edit: Sorry misread post, not really a hardware question :o

Laggy and jerky, I say jerky because I know it is not the net or computer.

I run STO smooth, just done it to test it also and no problems. Come on SWTOR and I cannot play. Chances are I will need to forget this game and as http://www.games-hq.com owner I need to post my experience on there. This is not what I expected I would be posting, very surprised.

HELP....

I got a new video card today. I have this little stick thing that is supposed to go on the card to monitor the temps. Where do I put it on the video card or does it not matter

Also my specs are

AMD x4 965 BE overclocked to 3.8ghz stable

Radeon 56701gb Being upgraded today into a Nvidia gtx 560ti

8gb ram

120gb ss drive for games and OS

Will I be able to run on max settings with the new nvidia card I ran on max setting on the radeon 5670 with about 40 fps no AA.

Edited by Nadroid

Im going to be "That guy", but im interested to see where these specs will land me as far as performance goes. I'm using bootcamp, but these are the system specs.

CPU: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

RAM: 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

And before it starts...please no PC vs Mac replies. I'm not looking to stir up the fanboys. :rolleyes:

HELP....

I got a new video card today. I have this little stick thing that is supposed to go on the card to monitor the temps. Where do I put it on the video card or does it not matter

Also my specs are

AMD x4 965 BE overclocked to 3.8ghz stable

Radeon 56701gb Being upgraded today into a Nvidia gtx 560ti

8gb ram

120gb ss drive for games and OS

Will I be able to run on max settings with the new nvidia card I ran on max setting on the radeon 5670 with about 40 fps no AA.

Never specified what nvidia card you have

Im going to be "That guy", but im interested to see where these specs will land me as far as performance goes. I'm using bootcamp, but these are the system specs.

CPU: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

RAM: 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

And before it starts...please no PC vs Mac replies. I'm not looking to stir up the fanboys. :rolleyes:

This thread is to help people not debate mac and PC. you will be able to run SWTOR pretty well on that setup around the lines of high/Med-high depending on the performance you want to see

Im going to throw this out there because no one else saw it but you should really upgrade to either windows 7 64 BIT and if you cant afford it reinstall vista under 64 BIT. Since you have a windows vista key it will work on both 64bit and 32bit

Your OS since its 32bit will not see over 4gb or memory so right now you are maxed out.

3gb ram and 1 gb video card = 4gb memory

So finally I got into early access today in the 3rd wave, I log in the game and basically that's what I see...

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/7kiramezak7/SW1.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/7kiramezak7/SW2.jpg

I know I'm playing on a laptop with Intel HD graphics but I run games like WOW, Starcraft 2, Shogun 2, Counter Strike and others on low setting with no lag at all....kinda frustrating since I might have to cancel my preorder now...

All setting are on low, my graphic card driver is up to date and direct x is up to date as well....any ideas on a quick fix?

Will you show your system specs.

Keep in mind that wow is 7 years old sc2 is almost if not already 2 years old also

but please post about your specs so i can see more info

tmany pages to look for a link but if it hasnt already been posted i found this site and its great to see if you can run this game or any other it will even tell you what you need to get if you fail

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

hope this helps

while we are on the subject

3dmark11 gives you a gpu score

any body have a list of bench marks needed for the different settings?

I am using a gateway ID79C laptop. I have a G15 keyboard plugged into the one of the usb ports and a R.A.T.5 mouse in another usb. I have asus 27 inch monitor plugged in to the HDMI port.

I played the beta and all my controls worked fine except tab targeting. I went to the config and tried hotkeying the targeting to another key and it just wouldn't work.

I have another computer at my place that my wife uses that is a desktop and the tab targeting works fine. Is there a setting that I need to change for my hardware that could fix this issue?

I hope I can get help with this, I really don't want to have to go buy a desktop just so I can tab target :)

I just picked up a new PC, core i3 with 4GB RAM, Win 7 64bit. I'm debating whether to try moving over my video card from my old PC (A GeForce GT 430), or upgrade.

The beta test weekends were pretty laggy, but my old PC was only like a Core 2 Duo with Win XP and the GT 430.

Will I be able to run SWTOR on the new PC with the old video card? How much of a difference would I see between the GT 430 and a GT 550 or 560ti?

I want to have a good gaming deck built. I was wondering if you guys had suggestions for what hardware I would need.

I want to run highest graphics settings and get anything over 30 FPS guarunteed. I want to be able to do this on a large monitor. I want to get this stuff accomplished without spending $5,000 dollars. That is an exaggeration of coarse, but you know what I mean.

So, any ideas on what parts I would need? Keep in mind that I don't need the absolute best there is, just what is good enough to do what I described above.

How will this run?

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...

ASRock 770 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

HIS H675F1GD Radeon HD 6750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

XFX ProSeries P1-450S-X2B9 450W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Core Edition ...

AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX455WFGMBOX

G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2

Recertified: Western Digital Caviar Blue RFHWD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SAMSUNG Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model TS-H353C - OEM

Well here is a hardware question i do have though not 100% game related. I am building a me computer for the game and plan on having an ssd hard drive and then 2 others in raid 0. I plan on putting windows on the ssd and not sure where I should put star wars any suggestions. The ssd will be a sata 3 and 120 gig

I have 2 SSD's in raid and 2 x 1 TB drives.. I always install my games on one of the 1 TB drives.. I reserve my SSD's for my Operating system, Drivers and softwares such as Adobe Creative Suite 5..

You will be just fine running it off the Raid drives