How to 'easily' fix pvp

Narflar

Yes that got your attention. Servers down and im bored, so here come the ideas ive been having for a while. It wont "fix" fix pvp, but it should go a long way to get these errors corrected.

[startrant]

First and foremost, the grind for pvp items is silly (but probably necessary for current expectations by wowtards to MMOs). As a pvper it bothers me to see inferior players with huge toons, just cause they have nothing else to do than play all day and grind tokens with a 25% winrate.

I like "learn to win", rather than "grind to win". Play the game well and youre a good player, rather than play the game for a long time (without learning, and trust me theres tons of those) and youre a good player. But lemme just say "GET YOUR DAMN GRIND OUT OF MY PVP" and be done with it. Its too sensitive a topic for most people, to not have superior items to compensate for inferior player talent. No, im not just mad that i dont have said items, i have pretty nice gear. Its a matter of principle.

[/startrant]

BUT MOVING ON TO THE ACTUAL MEAT OF THIS POST:

Voidstar:

Voidstar is not an intense experience at all. Its a sleep-inducing experience. I suggest a redesign thats very very very simple.

You know that shield you have to wait behind for X seconds every time you respawn? Imagine if Voidstar was one (1) LOOOOOOOOONG corridor full of those shields, that all raised/lowered at the same time, and was only raised for very brief durations. Yes, just like Darth Maul vs Ewan McGregor in that movie.

No doors, no bombs, just a long corridor with shields that divide the corridor into smaller sections where the action happens. One team spawns at one end, the other team spawns the other end. And a datacore each end. Yup both teams would be attacking and defending at the same time.

The defenders could get more and more automated defences, the closer attackers got to their datacore (like anti-stealth, anti-stealth would be obvious so noobs wont rage and blame the game rather than admit they were unattentive). And obviously it should take a lot longer to access/slice the datacore with this redesign.

This could potentially make voidstar as intense an experience as huttball.

Civil War:

Scrap it. Yes im serious, just scrap it. Coast is the same mode (domination) and infinitely better because of the heightened potential for mobility as well as the majority functionality. Civil War is too rigid in movement paths, and people are (no offense intended) too stupid to get basic premises of pvp. Hell, some people havent even noticed the second door in Coast, but the whole "ignore mid and cap sides" in Civil War just shows that this is the first game a lot of people pvp in. Not gonna rant about it, anyone with a clue know what i mean. Okay, ill rant a tad, people cap mid unopposed and reinforce their default side before attackers arrive properly. BASIC PVP PREMISE NOT UNDERSTOOD. MUST FIGHT OTHER PLAYER TO WIN? RRY?!? ISNT THIS PASTA VS PASTA? CAN THEY ALSO SPOT WHEN NO ENEMIES ARE AROUND LIKE I CAN? NO FAIR!!! I WANT PASTA!

Huttball:

Love it. Giradda is so hutt i cant control myself. A warzone where everything can change at the blink of an eye? WUNDERBAR! Intense! How pvp should be! Kudos to the design team, even if theres quite a few "abusable" strats where a team focusing on teamwork can shame a lazy team in ways they dont even understand. But its hard to consider teamwork "abuse", even if whiny nerbs often refer to it as such. "hey no fair! they play as a team! cut that out!".

Coast:

Good to see youve learned from mistakes made designing Civil War, points from me and if i had a hat, i might tip it a bit. I still hate EA for what they did to UO, so if you really want hat-tipping (from me) then you will have to go the extra ten thousand miles.

Matchmaking

Tie valor to legacy, rather than character. A lvl 19 that has 5 lvl 50s already is in a whole other league than a lvl 19 who is on his/her first char. Goes without saying. Before you start yapping that Valor isnt the (entire) basis for matchmaking, please remember that im suggesting that ->legacy<- is the basis of matchmaking and not ->character<-, as it seems like it currently is.

Cross-server warzones:

Just pony that up already.

MVP-votes:

I want to be able to use my vote to downvote someone, instead of only being able to upvote someone. Ive seen a single ally throw away my teams win so many times that its not funny (even from a tragicomical point of view) anymore. I know MVPs are just a popularity contest and the majority of voters just vote per highest stat, but when the enemy teams MVP is on my team, i want to have the option to vote as such.

HAZARD DAMAGE:

Why isnt hazard damage counted as the persons damage? Im sick and tired of seeing some twerp blasting AoE at full-HP people to farm stats, and then the guy that tips 3 enemies off the deep end with ONE SINGLE ABILITY goes un-rewarded. If a guy can take out 3 enemies at 15k HP each, with a single ability, why should that be ignored? Long story short, COUNT HAZARD DAMAGE. Its a fiasco that its not being counted.

Medals:

Getting there, its a work in progress and id say the last change in medals indicate youre going in the right direction. No hattipping tho, unless some EA people get sent to gitmo. Osama is done, now lets get EA. Booooo EA, boo! Moneygrubbing ******es.

And that was my rant about obvious oversights in the current state of pvp. And i made it last until servers got up again, im such a baws that i should get no less than three kittens. -NO LESS-. Im gonna log in now and if theres no kittens (or 1 kitten or 2 kittens) then i will be really angry.

Great post all around.

I disagree with one thing.

Coast is poorly thought out at best. I like the layout, but the control point placement is piss poor at best. A well organized team can turn that map into a spawn kill fest easily. Imagine if they allowed 8 and 10 man groups or when they do for Ranked warzones? A good PVP team could literally 3 cap that map in the worst possible way. And easily be consistant with it.

Civil War has more strategic value in regards to team play than ANY of the wz's combined.

Side note I do wish they had cap the flag.... :x

Edited by Ahebish

Great post all around.

I disagree with one thing.

Coast is poorly thought out at best. I like the layout, but the control point placement is piss poor at best. A well organized team can turn that map into a spawn kill fest easily. Imagine if they allowed 8 and 10 man groups or when they do for Ranked warzones? A good PVP team could literally 3 cap that map in the worst possible way. And easily be consistant with it.

Civil War has more strategic value in regards to team play than ANY of the wz's combined.

Civil War? In regards to team play? Are you sure you want to say that? Its not very hutt. Giradda would disagree bigtime.

A good pvp team could 3-cap it? Okay. Im not going to complain about a good team being able to win and win very fast. I would rather have the good team win fast than slow. I hate games that are decided after 3 minutes, but take 12 more minutes to actually end. A good team could easily 2-cap Civil War and be consistent with it. And fall asleep waiting for their win.

If your complaint is that an organized team working well together will win "too much" then i think we disagree. To me, thats exactly who should win. Consistently. Clever players beating braindead players? WUNDERBAR!

If you want to say that the simplest of the warzones is the most complex (as you did by saying it has the most strategical value in regards to team play), then please actually argue why. At least then we can meet on common ground because we can find out where the other persons reasoning differed from our own.

With all due respect, i think you need to reconsider your points (because they seem to be related to teamwork rather than map design, and you therefore favor the simplest map which requires the least teamwork). And also to give me kittens. 3 please.