Loot rules? need and greed with companions

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup agree with this ^^^^^^^^ Flag items for companions only and player only. The only problem with this is creating more loot and changing loot tables. It already exists with weapons so it shouldn't be too hard to impliment

This sounds like an option. But if the forums are any indication, people will still need on "Companion loot" for themselves because they won't have bothered to read the item description properly! :p

The companion only gets rights to gear if everyone in the party that can use an item has passed or is rolling greed. The the player that wants to need it for their companion need to ask if it is okay. Companions NEVER get a need right above a player that can use it. This is the main reason I'm always leader of the party's I am in. If someone rolls need for a companion while Johnny Jedi over there is needing for it, I boot them from party for being a ninja. Would much rather take the time to find someone else then help some bung hole gear their companion. Edited by angelana

Bioware really messed up by having companions use the same gear as players. This will be trouble for the life of the game, until they give companions their own gear.

It's only a problem because greedy players have the opinion that they deserve specific gear from a group setting over the other players in the group.

When I played in Beta, mind me - as a Trooper, I used to run around with Aric and give him my old gear when I changed to better. I did some heroic quests with other people who had same type companions and I never seen them to 'need' roll for them.

Ofcourse this will be an issue now, so I would suggest grouping with guildies, people you can trust, that they wont steal your gear 'because their companion use green and this is blue'.

Nah, since we get 5 companions, all needing different gear, that just means we all roll need all the time, on everything..

I'll be content with rolling greed for companions..

On the other hand, i won't make a fuss if someone rolled need on an item for a companion that has been active through the whole thing and helped out..

kinda like with players, if you helped, you get to roll..

I'll have to communicate with the others about it :cool:

Easy enough,all agree to hit NEED at the outset,if players end up with items they cannot use that others can,well its tough admittedly,rather that though,than some punk ninjas an item u need just to sell it on auction("companion")same thing.It's a shame but u have to look after you're own interests in todays MMO's..... or get burned. Edited by helcaster

How do u think we will use the need and greed rule now that we have companions?

To keep your main companion well geared is very important if soloing or grouping occasionally. Trust me on that one.

That said, when grouping and loot appears, I only pick Need if I can use it (as in it's better than what I currently have) and none of my companions matter.

Edited by Areka

Just consider the companion as an extension of your own character. If your companion needs it then you need it.

=/ that way you'll be fighting over every piece of gear by lvl 50 (multiple companions) I'd just say only need on the gear you yourself need and if everyone else greeds/passes on a piece of armour your companion could use, need it.

Don't start stealing tanking gear from the tank just because you think your tank companion can use it.

So , I have spent some heavy time thinking about this and I think I have it solved. Please read and follow along.

One must understand that with 5 companions who all need gear, that if everyone rolled need for their companions the winner is the highest of that roll. Well if everyone rolls Greed then the same thing would occur ending in the same result. So.. Greed roll for your companions and in your head just pretend you Need rolled and feel better.

1. Player characters may Need roll on upgrades.

2. Players must roll Greed on anything they intend to distribute to their companion or items that will be sold on GTN or used as materials.

Exception to this rule... If your companion was present during the group providing support. IE. If your companion Main tanked the encounter for your group then the owner may roll need for gear to equip that companion. Or if you somehow ran an encounter with your companion Main healing then you could roll Need for your companion.

** Addition, These gear are expected to be equip upon receiving them.

Let me know what you all think about the exception. I spent some time talking to fellow player at work and they found this to be fair.

Edited by Jholiday

Easy enough,all agree to hit NEED at the outset,if players end up with items they cannot use that others can,well its tough admittedly,rather that though,than some punk ninjas an item u need just to sell it on auction("companion")same thing.It's a shame but u have to look after you're own interests in todays MMO's..... or get burned.

This is what kills groups. If I am the only one that can use a type of gear and lose to someone who only plans to sell it ... Bye, I'll find a better group, and I'll let you know why too.

And I am normally a tank, what I did most through beta before trying some dps classes, although I do plan on running with guildies if they're on and ready.

Edited by Esproc

So , I have spent some heavy time thinking about this and I think I have it solved. Please read and follow along.

One must understand that with 5 companions who all need gear, that if everyone rolled need for their companions the winner is the highest of that roll. Well if everyone rolls Greed then the same thing would occur ending in the same result. So.. Greed roll for your companions and in your head just pretend you Need rolled and feel better.

1. Player characters may Need roll on upgrades.

2. Players must roll Greed on anything they intend to distribute to their companion or items that will be sold on GTN or used as materials.

Exception to this rule... If your companion was present during the group providing support. IE. If your companion Main tanked the encounter for your group then the owner may roll need for gear to equip that companion. Or if you somehow ran an encounter with your companion Main healing then you could roll Need for your companion.

Let me know what you all think about the exception. I spent some time talking to fellow player at work and they found this to be fair.

I think this might be a reasonable way of doing things

I found, even in early Vanilla WoW that Loot Rules varied from server to server.

Its just easiest to ask the group how companion loot will be rolled on prior to killing the first boss. Or, do what I do and just don't roll right away. See how others roll and then follow suit.

I found, even in early Vanilla WoW that Loot Rules varied from server to server.

Its just easiest to ask the group how companion loot will be rolled on prior to killing the first boss. Or, do what I do and just don't roll right away. See how others roll and then follow suit.

it has more impact ,if you dont like how theyre rolling .to just leave .after telling them why of course .

@Princess_Chibi and snnooggums and the rest:

You know I used to think like you in WoW right up until the time I started doing heroics and pugs. And you know what? I was dead wrong, and I would kick myself from a group for acting this way. Even with groups that are diverse and respect looting rules, you may have to run an instance 6 times to get the piece of gear you're wanting from the boss you're wanting. It's in no way okay for someone to need on the gear to put it on the auction house or give it to a companion. For the person needing an item without the role, it's a few credits or a slightly more powerful pet. For the person who has the role, it's having to do the flashpoint another five or six times because the other guy wanted his pet to look cool.

I do know where you're coming from. But experience has taught me the error of my ways, and how selfish *I* was to think that way.

Edited by OSUNightfall

Doing this will get you black listed from many groups and guilds. Your companion is not more important than a player, and considering how many companions you get you should never be doing this.

This amuses me. The companion IS the player and an integral part of playing the game. If you truly feel otherwise then I suggest you try playing without using a companion and let us all know how all those solo quests are working out for you.

This amuses me. The companion IS the player and an integral part of playing the game. If you truly feel otherwise then I suggest you try playing without using a companion and let us all know how all those solo quests are working out for you.

No one is disputing that the companion is part of the player...while soloing. When players group up, it is in the shared understanding that by helping the group to advance, getting gear, you will be appropriately rewarded for what you are bringing to the table, and so will everyone else. Unless your companion is helping win the FP, you're taking gear from people who are using their main class to help, to improve a part of your class that did not help the group to advance. You're giving something to get something.

I get what you're saying, but expect pretty much every group you ever group with to disagree.

Now I will make a pretty outrageous argument, but I will appreciate it if everyone stays along for the entire thing.

The companion is indeed part of the player. That is true, but as noted it is a solo thing, it is something that boosts the personal experience of the given player alone, nobody but him. I think we can agree on that.

Now lets take the case of a guy Needing on a piece of gear for the looks over a guy that can actually use it. Rude? Yes. But hey the guy can argue that looking good in this gear boosts his personal gaming experience, hence he can do it, just like that other guy in the group who needed something for his companion that this guy wanted.

Both a pretty subjective, in that they make the person feel better about soloing. You can even argue that the look-Needer actually benefits from his little move in Flashpoints. The Companion-Needed will generally not.

Now, one of these two actually benefits from the stats, the other doesn't, but the basic situation is in fact rather similar. The question remains, why should everyone else suffer for your solo needs? The answer is "they shouldn't".

@Princess_Chibi and snnooggums and the rest:

You know I used to think like you in WoW right up until the time I started doing heroics and pugs. And you know what? I was dead wrong, and I would kick myself from a group for acting this way. Even with groups that are diverse and respect looting rules, you may have to run an instance 6 times to get the piece of gear you're wanting from the boss you're wanting. It's in no way okay for someone to need on the gear to put it on the auction house or give it to a companion. For the person needing an item without the role, it's a few credits or a slightly more powerful pet. For the person who has the role, it's having to do the flashpoint another five or six times because the other guy wanted his pet to look cool.

I do know where you're coming from. But experience has taught me the error of my ways, and how selfish *I* was to think that way.

You would have to run it 6 times anyway, since the loot drops randomly. If you didn't notice, the reason you changed your opinion was because you weren't getting the loot you felt you deserved because other people rolled on it too when they helped you down the boss.

At first, I went along with the 'roll by role' crap because players would get all huffy. Then they got all huffy if the piece was 10% better for a role even though it was also useful for another class. I only played a healer caster, but every time I saw some loot dictator claim that all Spirit pieces had to go to healers over other casters that get hit out of Spirit because it is 'healer gear' I respected the 'loot for role' less and less. It didn't affect me in any negative way, but I got to see two players who would benefit from a drop have their decision to roll overridden by some loot dictator. This of course repeated itself in equipment, if a player was wielding a 2 handed weapon and a single handed dropped that they had a matching one for, they would be denied a chance to roll because they were 'specced for two handers' even if they just had to spend 5 seconds activating their secondary spec.

Now all those long term MMO players (I played text based MUDs well before these whiney kids) who have applied their weekly raiding loot gear rolls to daily or limitless groups have become oppressive loot dictators who tell other players how they should play. Player A shouldn't care what Player B does with a piece of loot they win in a random dungeon. Players calling that 'ninja' because they disagree with the reason the player rolled Need are the most selfish, whiny, inconsiderate jerks I have ever come across in any online game in the last 20 years. If I get 'blacklisted' from their backslapping greed fests I don't care, I'll just lead my own instances with everyone deciding for themselves if they want to Need or Greed. Anyone who complains about someone else's decision, or someone that Needs every item won't be invited in the future, so I will end up with regulars who Need when they Need and Greed when they don't.