Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

Deyjarl

Is this guy for real?. You probably have a 0.1% chance of this happening to you. If it does the n you'll have to wait the 3 seconds to respawn and you'll be wiser about your aoe usage.

And 5 minutes waiting on the /pvp timer. Then you get to wade through all the mobs you cleared that have now respawned. And If your really lucky you'll get to do all that again as soon as you try to AoE an NPC mob.

Also your estimate of .1% is false judging solely by the posts in this thread. Not Withstanding the 4 or 5 other threads on this very subject.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this guy for real?. You probably have a 0.1% chance of this happening to you. If it does the n you'll have to wait the 3 seconds to respawn and you'll be wiser about your aoe usage.

Yes, and you know what? He is not alone. It is not difficult to understand that some people do NOT want to PvP in any case, so why should I change my style of playing, and not using AoE, which is important in PvE just because someone is exploiting it?

And you are not getting it. There should 0% that should be happening. I should not have to watch my back (and even that doesn't suffice, as the player can be stealthed) before tagging a mob.

Oh I guess you are a PvP player in a PvP server. Good for you, but PvE servers are named like that for a reason: people do not want to PvP, unless they WILLINGLY choose to.

Edited by Ultrasroma

We shouldn't have to care about our AOE usage on a PvE server.

How are we going to avoid a stealthed opponent? Just not use our AOEs at all?

That's not even close to reasonable.

First, the chance of it happening is irrelevant. It should not be able to happen at all.

Second, you can't be "wiser about your aoe usage" if people are hiding in stealth or jumping into a fight after it started.

Finally, it is not just 3 seconds to respawn. It is three second followed by 5 minutes of having to hide until your PvP flag goes away.

Quit blaming people who are victims of someone exploiting this mechanism. It is not their fault that they were ganked for playing PvE on a PvE server.

Are you for real? The respawn rate is longer than 3 secs. Are you a politician who likes to twist the numbers to suit thier argument? There is no way we should get accidently flagged for using a skill/ability our chars have on a PVE server.

/sigh. Are you trolling or are you serious?

If you're trolling, thanks for the bump. If you're serious, please read on.

Have you read the thread? Do you know what the issue truly is? You obviously do not understand, or don't care, how this impacts people. We have to completely change our playstyle and/or play gimped in order to maintain an unflagged status. Sorry but that is backwards.

For the bazinionth time. You say be wiser about aoe usage. Nice. So how would you like to pvp without being able to use all of your abilities?

There is no way that anyone can know at all times when there is someone stealthed, or coming up from behind on a speeder, or hiding behind a rock.

And when it happens, it's more than just a 3 second respawn, as you say. It's your game has been interrupted. You're no longer doing what you wanted to do for your own entertainment in accordance with the promised ruleset for that server, instead you're doing what the griefer wants you to do, for his entertainment.

Then you're spending 5 minutes in a cantina to get rid of the stupid flag so you don't have a repeat. And you have to spend that 5 minutes on-line, with your proverbial thumb in your nether regions. Logging out halts the timer.

Then you get to go back out and try to complete your quests, wondering if the low-life is still out there invisible. Can't use your aoe's, can't let your companion use them.

Does that sound like fun to you?

There is no way that a pve player should have to exert a continuous effort to remain unflagged on a pve server. The description of a pve server by Bioware is that pvp only happens when both parties consent.

That was the hype and that's what we all bought into. All, in this case, meaning all the pve people who want nothing to do with pvp. This was promised to us. So far it has not been delivered.

Edited by VarnieTsk

Not .1% chance, people are abusing this mechanic more and more every day. You cannot be wiser when a stealther decides he wants to grief or a player simply speeds in on his 110% mount right at the last moment. So basically, never AoE ever or face getting ganked? Not acceptable.

I would not support bans, this is a waste of tickets and GMs time. What needs to be done is remove the auto flag on AoE damage and heals if you are not directing them at a flagged player, thus this won't be an issue no more. Once this is done, it will be entirely up to the player if they want to flag or not. Then if you target and actively hit a flagged player, it's your problem.

Thing is, we are getting PvP realm players in here voicing their unwanted opinions just to stir the pot and to muddy the issue at hand. Meh.

Edited by fixit

In other words: you're a moron who doesn't know what he's talking about.

'Nuff said.

Blatant lies... in wow, you cannot hit someone with an aoe if you're not already flagged. Using an aoe ability in wow does not flag you.

Years ago, it actually was possible for a flagged player on a PVE server to jump into another player's aoe to get him flagged and then gank him. I heard a couple complaints on my Alliance server like this: A level 30 Mage is questing on his PVE server, casts an aoe to deal with several mobs, and then a flagged level 45 Horde player jumps into his aoe, gets him flagged, and then ganks him. Fortunately WoW fixed that problem and apparently they fixed it before it got as sereious as it seems to be getting here. Once I leave Taris, if I get trick-flagged and ganked like that, I'll report it. And if it isn't fixed, I'll quit this game and go back to playing Star Trek Online for my Sci-fi MMO.

haha, very funny. Some classes would be very restricted if they didn't use their AoE abilities, and no one should be worried about getting flagged because someone is intentionally stealthing into their AoEs to flag them.

You clearly have no idea what the issue is about.

Just to clarify, when you say Open World PvP, do you mean designated areas where people could PvP? Because that's NOT what Open World PvP means in a MMO.

Open World PvP means all planets and territories are open to PvP, you cannot unflag yourself, and thus you are on perpetual danger of fighting both mobs and enemies. Some people like it for the thrill. Good for them, I play MMOs to relax and am NOT looking for any PvP whatsoever.

So if I misinterpreted you I apologize, but your sentence "I like Open PvP in a PvE server" sounded odd, especially because it contradicted your following sentence about being griefed, which I fully support of course

Your misunderstanding of what he was saying got resolved, but I wanted to correct the misstatement above that caused you to misunderstand what he meant.

What you define as "Open World PvP" is the PvP server rules set, not Open World PvP. "Open World PvP" is PvP taking place in the game world as opposed to PvP taking place in an arena or a battleground. "Open World PvP" takes place on a PvP server because people are automatically flagged, but two players fighting each other on Tatooine are engaged in Open World PvP whether they are on a PvP or PvE server. It has nothing to do with the server type; it is just theoretically more likely to occur on a PvP server because of the automatic flagging.

If it is griefing, it is reportable. And if you report someone in this game, they are actually pretty quick at handing out suspensions.

Report him and he may think twice about doing it again.

What bothers me is that it is reportable and they would probably do something about it if you did report it. I come from the original Ultima Online and PvPer's of modern MMO's have no idea what so ever about grief from other players...hahaha! I always find stuff like this so funny. In UO if I killed you I can take all your stuff with you standing there as a ghost and anything you type on the screen will be displayed as ghost speak...Ohoooo Ohooo...etc...Oh and if you happened to have your house key on you I can use it to gate to your house and loot it too...lol

What bothers me is that it is reportable and they would probably do something about it if you did report it.

It's reportable because it exploits a game mechanic for one persons gain at the expense of anothers. If you like killing people who haven't got a chance of fighting back then well done, roll on a PvP and go nuts killing people 20 levels lower than you. Not everyone wants their game time ruined by people like that, hence why they roll on a PvE server only to have this happen anyway.

What bothers me is that it is reportable and they would probably do something about it if you did report it. I come from the original Ultima Online and PvPer's of modern MMO's have no idea what so ever about grief from other players...hahaha! I always find stuff like this so funny. In UO if I killed you I can take all your stuff with you standing there as a ghost and anything you type on the screen will be displayed as ghost speak...Ohoooo Ohooo...etc...Oh and if you happened to have your house key on you I can use it to gate to your house and loot it too...lol

Which is why, despite my love of all MMORGs, I never ever even tried ultima online. It's reputation as a griefers' paradise ensured lots of players like me stayed far away.

Different game. When I play EVE I know what I'm in for. If TOR was intended to be a gankfest where every player has to watch their backs 24/7, then they should get rid of PVE servers and just say so (but I'm pretty sure that's not the case).

Edited by daemian

People have been reporting it. To date, and to the best of anyone's knowledge, nothing has been done. No one from BW will respond in any way. They won't even answer the simple question....Is This Working As Intended? So we are left in the dark, and with posting on the forums in the hopes that just maybe it will get changed.

Yeah, UO. I was there pre-Trammel. It was the worst nightmare in gaming that I've ever experienced. I quit as did many, many others because of it. They finally wised up and changed it. The original concept was good on paper, but being the first real mmo, the devs had underestimated lengths some people would go to just to harrass, inconvenience, or otherwise torment other people.

A lot of game mechanics would be good, in an ideal world. Human nature, and especially the pvp mindset always ruins it and so rules have to be put in place to protect others.

Edited by VarnieTsk

So how would you like to pvp without being able to use all of your abilities?
BW already saw fit to that in their design of juggernauts; several of my abilities aren't useable on elite or stronger mobs, which includes other players. In such fights, I often find myself wasting GCDs just because several of my abilities are literally useless, while several others are extremely inefficient due to class mechanics, and that doesn't even include when I'm wasting GCDs because I need to save them for interrupts (at least that was improved).

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread. Either the OP was being tremendously careless with their AOEs, or the system is broken. Being able to stealth, eat an AOE, and auto-flag an enemy on a PvE server sounds like an abuse of mechanics, and it's no surprise to me that it's being used to grief others.

Would that they could transfer the griefer to a PvP server; I bet he'd ragequit and cancel as soon as someone started griefing him.

Edited by Ansultares

People using game mechanics to PvP in this manner are contravening the Rules Of Conduct under the Harassment Policy:

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

C. Harassment Policy

Our goal is to build a strong community that offers a comfortable atmosphere for all of our players. This means seeing that players have the ability to combat antisocial behavior

1. Harassment consists of misuse and/or abuse of game mechanics and verbal harassment with the intention of distressing and offending other players. Game mechanics allow players to interact with the world and each other. For example, the ability to block a doorway is a game mechanic. Use of game mechanics like these is by no means considered harassment in and of itself. The key to determining whether the mechanic is being misused or abused is to determine "intent." Reported incidents are not considered harassment until it is determined by the SWTOR CS that it was done to intentionally to cause distress or to offend other players.

2. Harassment is also any behavior that is incessant, inescapable, derogatory and directed specifically at you or your group. Before reporting, a genuine attempt to alleviate the situation should be made by leaving the area or the offending player, or asking them politely to stop. If a sincere attempt has been made to solve the problem and the offending player persists in the behavior, it should be reported.

3. Behavior that is always considered harassment includes derogatory and/or hateful comments that are sexual, racist, religious, or related to gender or creed.

4. A judgment of valid harassment can result in penalties placed on the harassing party up to and including immediate account closure, based on the severity of harassment and the player's past account history.

5. Player versus Player (“PvP”) activities, where available, are not exempt from this policy.

Personally I have no love for Bunny Hunters and think they should be suspended, that's just my opinion though. I have no issue with PvP being on PvE severs but you should never be able to be flagged unless you actively flag yourself. If you aren't flagged then you shouldn't be able to interact with anyone else that is for any reason, if you want to heal or otherwise help an ally then you should actively flag yourself first.

Edited by Palathas

Being forced into a PvP situation against your will on a PvE server should not happen.

Ever.

For any reason.

While I totally support PvP play and think it is a vital and beneficial style of gameplay for those that desire it, being able to trick someone into playing the game in a way that is fun for YOU but not for THEM is just wrong, no matter how you try to justify it.

Common sense.

People have been reporting it. To date, and to the best of anyone's knowledge, nothing has been done. No one from BW will respond in any way. They won't even answer the simple question....Is This Working As Intended? So we are left in the dark, and with posting on the forums in the hopes that just maybe it will get changed.

Yeah, UO. I was there pre-Trammel. It was the worst nightmare in gaming that I've ever experienced. I quit as did many, many others because of it. They finally wised up and changed it. The original concept was good on paper, but being the first real mmo, the devs had underestimated lengths some people would go to just to harrass, inconvenience, or otherwise torment other people.

A lot of game mechanics would be good, in an ideal world. Human nature, and especially the pvp mindset always ruins it and so rules have to be put in place to protect others.

Some of the best fun I have ever had in PvP was in UO and I was not a griefer I was a player who hunted griefer's and collected the bounty on them. Also in that game you could really RP, you could write in books and leave clues, you could have real murderer characters that were part of your RP community, real bad guys not just pretend ones.

You could go to a cave set up a camp with furniture, etc put a player there to play a part in a quest ...maybe they try to kill anyone who comes near, maybe they pass on some information if prodded for it...

I really do miss UO and the real feeling of my heart in my throat in PvP...not this boring "oh well I died" PvP that most MMO's have now.

Edited by Rahl_Windsong

Been following this thread pretty closely and even made a post myself yesterday. The one thing I haven't seen was anyone who had my experience of being flagged after aiding a same faction character at lvl 13 or so (Lord Grathan area) on Dromund Kaas at the beginning of the game. Obviously, I wasn't ganked, but I was really mad at the time. I don't remember if it was the AoE or buff that I used on the player. At the time all I remember thinking was that I buffed him/her and got flagged for my efforts.

Been following this thread pretty closely and even made a post myself yesterday. The one thing I haven't seen was anyone who had my experience of being flagged after aiding a same faction character at lvl 13 or so (Lord Grathan area) on Dromund Kaas at the beginning of the game. Obviously, I wasn't ganked, but I was really mad at the time. I don't remember if it was the AoE or buff that I used on the player. At the time all I remember thinking was that I buffed him/her and got flagged for my efforts.

Yeah, this is another aspect of the mechanic that's annoying but at least this is avoidable. Any time you buff or rez a flagged player, you get flagged too. Or if you group with a flagged player.

Edit: I take back the rez part being avoidable. You can't tell if a corpse is flagged or not. So just never rez anyone.

Edited by VarnieTsk