Tanking Stat Weights

dipstik

Maximize your stat budget by using high Shield enhs and unlettered mods. This, combined with your augments, provides you with your total stat budget.

Problem is, there are ABSOLUTELY NO low end/high abs enhancements on any DG stuff, and NO shadow mods. The only high Abs mod I got came from a hazmat headgear I luckily dropped on HM Asation. Which make our optimization too much random-dependant for my taste. Or did I miss something ?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have around 25.5k health on my sin tank and i tank everything ingame fine dont see the big issue and my healers claim that i am fairly easy to heal.

Yes i do tend to take a little more spike damage because of my lower damage reduction but overall i handle it fine and according to mox parser i tend to take less damage overall than rest of the tanks.

Atm i have around 35% defense, just about 41% damage reduction, 66% shield rating (with DW) and around 55% absorb, yes absorb could be higher. These stats will change as i switch around some of the mods and relics.

Or did I miss something ?

All of the DG tier items that drop can be crafted. For the stat optimizer, make friends with the various top end crafters on your server and get the mods and enhs you want crafted for you. Yes, there aren't any Sturdiness or Immunity Enhs (much to my chagrin), but that's just something you have to deal with, especially since there weren't any for the Campaign tier either (and for the Rakata tier you had to either get *really* lucky with a schema drop or pick them up from HM/NiM chests as explicit enhancements).

All of the DG tier items that drop can be crafted. For the stat optimizer, make friends with the various top end crafters on your server and get the mods and enhs you want crafted for you. Yes, there aren't any Sturdiness or Immunity Enhs (much to my chagrin), but that's just something you have to deal with, especially since there weren't any for the Campaign tier either (and for the Rakata tier you had to either get *really* lucky with a schema drop or pick them up from HM/NiM chests as explicit enhancements).

Unfortunately, nobody on my server seems to be able to craft any tank mod/enh for the moment. Plenty of dps stuff, but nuthin' for the meat shields :(

Unfortunately, nobody on my server seems to be able to craft any tank mod/enh for the moment. Plenty of dps stuff, but nuthin' for the meat shields :(

Which server are you on and which side do you play? If you can't find any on one faction, try checking the other faction (I know I had to swap over to Empire to find someone that could make most of my Robust 27 unlettered mods until someone on Repub finally learned it). I know that most of the servers maintain a decent network of crafters that know what the others craft and, at least for Pot5 (my server), there is actually a consistently updated thread that has the various crafted items and who makes them. Spamming on the fleet isn't the only way to find crafters and, oftentimes, for the specialized items (like specific mods and enhs), it's not enough.

Which server are you on and which side do you play? If you can't find any on one faction, try checking the other faction (I know I had to swap over to Empire to find someone that could make most of my Robust 27 unlettered mods until someone on Repub finally learned it). I know that most of the servers maintain a decent network of crafters that know what the others craft and, at least for Pot5 (my server), there is actually a consistently updated thread that has the various crafted items and who makes them. Spamming on the fleet isn't the only way to find crafters and, oftentimes, for the specialized items (like specific mods and enhs), it's not enough.

Nah, I checked on both sides believe me, and nobody has them (I'm on Battle Meditation, Republic side btw, and there are only a few guilds beside mine able to farm DG/Hazmat gear on this server)

Have any hybrid Jugger's/Guard's been able to approach those stat weights?

Assuming you are using all Mitigation Heavy 27's therefore:

Ear/Implants with 60 Shield + 60 Absorb/Def

Mods with 44 Absorb/Def

Enhancements with 60 Shield + 24 Absorb/Def

1 EHW Relic with +120 mitigation Stat

14 Augments +18 migitation stat per aug

The Stat Budget would be 1716. However because of everything having 60 Shield rating on it. The Minimum amount of Shield Rating gain-able without using Endurance Heavy Enhancements is 600. This however doesn't line up with the suggested numbers for a budget of about 1700.

I tried experimenting with only swapping the enhancements out for the 60end/48shield/24 def or absorb to attempt to bring down shield chance and budget to perhaps levels that would be more obtainable but it ends up leaving you with a budget of 1632 and a minimum shield rating amount of 516 which still wasn't enough

Am I being really dense and just missing something?

Finally would not itemising in such a away as a Jugger make you spikier so to speak?

Edited by Lacedemon

Mods with 44 Absorb/Def

The Stat Budget would be 1716. However because of everything having 60 Shield rating on it. The Minimum amount of Shield Rating gain-able without using Endurance Heavy Enhancements is 600. This however doesn't line up with the suggested numbers for a budget of about 1700.

I tried experimenting with only swapping the enhancements out for the 60end/48shield/24 def or absorb to attempt to bring down shield chance and budget to perhaps levels that would be more obtainable but it ends up leaving you with a budget of 1632 and a minimum shield rating amount of 516 which still wasn't enough

Finally would not itemising in such a away as a Jugger make you spikier so to speak?

The suggested stat distribution for juggs is optimal, but not possible due to itemisation. Trying to artificially lower your shield chance wont do anything other then increase your endurance / accuracy, and wont bring you any closer to those values, as you can't trade shield rating for defense.

Just take your ratings and punch them into this spreadsheet if all you want to do is optimise your stat spread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548796

Mods with 44 Absorb/Def

A question what would be your 2nd relic in this case, a situational one? Because otherwise getting 2 EWH's is better.

A question what would be your 2nd relic in this case, a situational one? Because otherwise getting 2 EWH's is better.

If anything, 2 EWH is just as situational as a click relic. The campaign sh/abs click is better than EWH in enough endgame encounters to warrant having the freedom to swap it in. Unless of course you just don't like having to click a relic, and are ok with having a sub-optimal relic loadout in said encounters.

On an unrelated note, pushing into 63's it seems the dread guard absorb proc is being overtaken by the EWH, even for a vanguard. Weighting some vanguard and juggernaut BiS AMR profiles and comparing the two relics in each, the EWH is better in both cases by a small amount. So I guess if your in high mitigation 61's/63's, the dread proc is obsolete. Sad considering I have always felt the need to defend this relic on my server, but its finally worse off than the pvp ones.

Edited by Marb

If anything, 2 EWH is just as situational as a click relic. The campaign sh/abs click is better than EWH in enough endgame encounters to warrant having the freedom to swap it in. Unless of course you just don't like having to click a relic, and are ok with having a sub-optimal relic loadout in said encounters.

I don't think that the EWH relics are sub-optimal at all, I like the constant boost instead of a short time boost where it's quite possible to forget taking advantage of every time, activated wrong time and an annoying cooldown on that clicky relic makes it worse. A loot of good players use 2 EWH relics.

I don't think that the EWH relics are sub-optimal at all, I like the constant boost instead of a short time boost where it's quite possible to forget taking advantage of every time, activated wrong time and an annoying cooldown on that clicky relic makes it worse. A loot of good players use 2 EWH relics.

I would never criticise someone for having that preference, but I would take issue with you saying its better. 2 EWH is popular because its set and forget, you never have to worry about clicking it. Also I only said sub-optimal in relation to the encounters that call for the click relic, which is enough to reason that having a click relic on hand is sensible, and weighting your stats with assumption of 2 EWH is not wise.

I have a DG Proc Absorb Relic and a DG on use Shield/Absorb relic that I switch between depending on the encounter

Edited by Lacedemon

So I used this thread as a base to min/max my Shadow. However, as I get closer to my goal, the harder it is to get perfectly aligned with these numbers. So, what advice do you give me going forward?

Def. 408. <------- A little low. Need to boost.

Shield 567

Abs 543

What I want to avoid is buying 2 full sets of def and abs augments and my understanding is that you can't directly trade shield for def. you can only trade def for abs. I have all 61+ mods and enh, I have 1 columi armoring, 1 columi hilt, 2 rakata armoring, so that can only improve endurance and willpower. My relics are DG shield amp and imperiling serenity, i have the same campaign relics and I have enough comms to get an EWH relic if recommended.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Def. 408.

Shield 567

Abs 543

That's actually pretty good. Since you can't not get more than enough Shield while maximizing mitigation and stat budget and the ratings don't account for that, having slightly more Absorb than "recommended" is actually recommended.

As to your relics, your first goal should be getting one of the DG heal proc relics: it's the BiS relic for Shadows. From there, either get a DG abs proc relic or an EWH Defense relic (your other passive relic option is Shield rating and you've already got more than enough of that). The DG tank use relics aren't that great because the devs nerfed their uptime; the Camp shield/abs use relic is decent because it still has the 30 sec duration, but I still wouldn't use it over either of the other 2.

That's actually pretty good. Since you can't not get more than enough Shield while maximizing mitigation and stat budget and the ratings don't account for that, having slightly more Absorb than "recommended" is actually recommended.

As to your relics, your first goal should be getting one of the DG heal proc relics: it's the BiS relic for Shadows. From there, either get a DG abs proc relic or an EWH Defense relic (your other passive relic option is Shield rating and you've already got more than enough of that). The DG tank use relics aren't that great because the devs nerfed their uptime; the Camp shield/abs use relic is decent because it still has the 30 sec duration, but I still wouldn't use it over either of the other 2.

What about for Jugg-Hybrid tank? should I go with EWH shield relic + DG abs proc relic OR straight EWH shield relic + EWH def relic. I'm torn out between those two combinations for PVE...

What about for Jugg-Hybrid tank? should I go with EWH shield relic + DG abs proc relic OR straight EWH shield relic + EWH def relic. I'm torn out between those two combinations for PVE...

Since Defense is so valuable for a Guardian tank, your BiS is generally 2 EWH passive Defense relics. No tank should *ever* use the EWH Shield relics: you get all the Shield rating you need on your gear naturally. If you undercut your Absorb rating a bit (some of the Guardians I know do this to get higher Defense, which generally pays out well because of Guardian's low Shield chance), you can get an excellent payout from the DG absorb proc relic.

Since Defense is so valuable for a Guardian tank, your BiS is generally 2 EWH passive Defense relics. No tank should *ever* use the EWH Shield relics: you get all the Shield rating you need on your gear naturally. If you undercut your Absorb rating a bit (some of the Guardians I know do this to get higher Defense, which generally pays out well because of Guardian's low Shield chance), you can get an excellent payout from the DG absorb proc relic.

I suggest PT/Vanguards use the shield relics since they can only get about 600 shield from enhancements and ear/implants. unless you are suggesting they use those slots for defense and absorb.

It has been shown that the proc absorb relic does not perform as well as the on use shield/absorb relic for mitigating damage.

It has been shown that the proc absorb relic does not perform as well as the on use shield/absorb relic for mitigating damage.

I'm kind of curious where exactly this was shown. I was a strong proponent of the use relics up until the DG tier came out and we, once again, were shafted with 20 second durations. I'm curious to see how it was shown with the new tier.

I'm kind of curious where exactly this was shown. I was a strong proponent of the use relics up until the DG tier came out and we, once again, were shafted with 20 second durations. I'm curious to see how it was shown with the new tier.

my bad, i compared on use defense to one use shield absorb. lemme do some calcs.

i posted the results in an edited post in the impering serentiy thread. but here are the results assuming we are at a 1600 pool and we use the relic on CD and it procs as often as possible (which i dont think is a safe assumtion for the proc relic since i think it will only be active for 3 or 4 hits every 20 seonds unless you have a bunch of adds on you: the proc absorb does come out ahead out of all the dread guard relics, but the war hero ones are still ahead

Def Use shield proc absorb 1700

PT 0.464 0.462 0.46075 0.4566

Jugg 0.42515 0.4237 0.42315 0.42

Sin 0.3519 0.35015 0.34846 0.3452

sorry for the formatting, not sure how to inset tables.

but the summary is adding 100 balanced points is better than any of those relics, unless of course the higher mitigation during the iinterval of use overcomes the mitigation from lower off use intervals, but that would be a per fgiht calc, not really a 3000 static incoming dps.

Edited by dipstik