View Single Post

phalczen
10.29.2018 , 11:42 AM | #304
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietrastor View Post
Is this a joke? Balance changes, matchmaking improvements and cross-faction queues are all welcome fixes but they help mostly already existing veteran players rather than new pilots. They don't address large scale GSF accesability, learning curve and interconectivity with the ground game. And neither will custom matches. Sporadic guilds/groups that will set up custom matches to teach a few new players 'how to GSF' is NOT a large-scale solution to these problems. Game needs actual designed game systems that will teach the players the basics and prepare them for matches = PVE tutorials/missions. Relying on the playerbase to act as the tutorial on a wide scale is ridiculous.
I disagree strongly. Having a starter ship that is not only viable, but meta, is very important in improving the experience for new players. Think back to the beginning of the game when a Jedi Knight didn't get a healing companion until the start of Act 2. There's nothing more iconic than the story of a Jedi Knight, and similarly nothing more iconic than this game's equivalent of an x-wing.

And, education by fellow players is absolutely essential to improving performance. Look at PUGging operations or even flashpoints. If you take the time to explain the fights to a newbie, doesn't the whole run go smoother? The developers never created a manual for flashpoint bosses or operations bosses the community did. Creating mechanisms for teaching players on a 2v2 setting doesn't absolve the Dev Team from improving the tutorial, but I'd bet Despon or Drako will be able to make a fancy video now with these custom matches that teach players more about GSF than any scripted tutorial could. Direct, personal feedback, real time, is probably more helpful than a tutorial mode. Reading about how to do a surgery is not the same as actually doing the procedure, or performing it on a simulator. Finally, improving a tutorial mode doesn't have benefits to anyone but the new players. Custom match lobbies can be used to educate but also for events or even just for the sake of pvp. Thus, doing the challenge system has wider utility and is, in my opinion, a better investment of limited resources. And, if people are having fun with events, they are more likely to stick around in the game, and in turn, fuel it for the future.

Bret did address the legacy issue, and there are technical challenges with the way Requisition is in the current system that limit its conversion to a "Currency" like other currencies in the game that are legacy-bound. As a stopgap measure he implemented the conversion of Fleet Comms to requisition grants. I would advocate for larger fleet commendation rewards for the Daily and Weekly, and possibly for Fleet Comms to be granted from each match as well. That would facilitate transition of requisition a little bit easier, at least until he and the Engineers have time to create a workaround. It's annoying to be sure, and it would be nice if my 100s of thousands of req on my main pilots could be gifted to some of my other toons, but there are independent reasons to fly on alts even without the requisition issue.

I do agree with you about the incentives though. I've always agreed with that, GSF could use some more decos, armors, titles, tunings, flairs, etc. At least, with the new Tier 5 rating 258 gear coming in 5.10, Unassembled Components from GSF will still be just as valuable. We won't see more incentives probably until we see the Flagship perks related to guild heraldry which depend upon the custom pvp challenge system and come AFTER 5.10.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.