Makeb shows why continuing class stories are necessary

/Signed

The legacies of the hero of tython, bar'senthor, champion of the great hunt, cipher nine, commander of Havoc, the void hound, Darth Nox, and the Emperor's wrath must continue in a meaningful way. This game's foundation was on specialized class stories and should stay that way.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/not signed

The not-class story in Makeb was better than any of the class-stories we got before.

Really? I found it way under par than even most of the other planet stories. Correllia? better planet story. Voss? MUCH better planet story. Most planets had better planet stories than Makeb, while Makeb wasn't bad it doesn't even reach the top 5 for me in planet faction stories. The stories fit Trooper and Agent best... but that still doesn't make them agent or trooper class stories, but for those 2 classes it's at least satisfactory.. consular...knight...bounty hunter...not at all.

Edited by Lithy

Trolling? Or do you actually believe the non-sense you just typed up?

Has to be trolling. The planetary stories of vanilla SWTOR were better than Makeb. Not only that, but what about all that world pvp they hyped up about Makeb? How Makeb would redefine world pvp in SWTOR? Dailies are not proper content. Deliver new class stories

/signed.

It has been fun seeing how they made the dialogue fit for each class, but it is still far too similar and not personal enough as a class story. All the loose ends from the class stories that I can think of feel unresolved and left hanging and they don't play a part in the Makeb story at all.

/not signed

The not-class story in Makeb was better than any of the class-stories we got before.

I'm not sure I've ever disagreed with a post on these forums more than this one I quoted.

I wish there was some way to organize a petition. I bet most players would sign it. Maybe create a new thread asking for signatures and request a sticky? Do you think Bioware would pay attention to a petition?
Rate this thread "5" with the drop-down at the bottom, at least. It's cheesy, but it hints to the Community team "We want you to pay attention to this thread". Edited by SW_display_name

I really had renewed hope for EA/Bioware in the last month or so. For sure this time last year, they had a narrow chance to escape their self-inflicted SWTOR death rattle and they seemed to pull themselves out of it. Yes, the Cartel Market was a big part of that.

But as anyone can see from the other thread that has taken over the forums, the CM won't save them permanently. EA/Bioware will never say outright that stories have been discontinued, but it seems they pretty much have. I think the Makeb stories were pretty good, but NOTHING like the class stories 1-50. The problem is Bioware wrote some amazing stories, and they have no ability or desire to continue them. For instance on Empire side, with one sentence, Dart Marr wiped out my entire class story ending. No follow up, just "Yeah, that was sh*tty back there, eh? Now let's get some Isotope 5!" Instead it seems they are going to focus on generic or group content, and fluff items. And with that, the game's replay value has come to an end.

The sad thing is, EA/Bioware appears to be fine with that. The new player and CM is what's driving profits for them, not the subs who supported the game since launch and had no idea at the time that 1-50 story would be it. And if Makeb-type group stories & daily grinds are all they have in store going forward? Well...other MMOs do it better with fewer bugs and fewer "miscommunications" with their players. Hell, they can't even fix the non-speaking companion issue.

I hate to say it, but the dire predictions about the CM back in August 2012 seem to have been borne out. I really enjoyed this game and I'm glad I was able to participate in the experience. But my initiative to log at all has fallen off in the last month, and I'm sad beyond words that SWTOR has turned into Star Wars Farmville. But it is what it is, EA really doesn't care what we think, and I'll make my plans accordingly.

/Signed

(I'm looking at you, fade to black travel on Makeb)

I actually liked this feature, but I think it should be optional.

Not to completely derail this thread, but who else thinks fade outs should be replaced with the sliding transitions from the movies?

Edited by GGVK

/signed as well.

i stated this multiple times before, class stories are is this game greatest feature. makeb on the imp side was great, but tbh it felt like something that my agent should do, not my fricking sith lord , who is only answerable to the emperor. i say the next faction stories NEED to have more personal details along side companion interaction.

Edited by astrobearx

I agree wholeheartedly that continuation of the individual class stories is what would be best for this game as a whole. But I've come to accept that it's not going to happen, no matter how hard we all plead. With that said, though, there are still some simple steps that the developers could take to try to personalize the faction stories a bit more as they more forward with future expansions.

I was pleasantly surprised by the unique introductory segments for each class in RotHC, so why not expand those even more? Have each character be briefed by someone important from their class story, and have them travel to a story-relevant location to do so. (Example: the Inquisitor can be summoned to the Dark Council chambers to begin the proceedings.) And since the developers managed to record more of those little asides for the speaking companions, why not throw a few interactive moments into the generic cutscenes, too? (Another example: when Warrior characters come face-to-face with any of the Hutts that Imperial-side players face on Makeb, have Vette spout an insult.) A closing vignette that functions similarly to the introduction would also go a long way towards personalizing things without being too onerous to implement.

Little additions like this - which, while I'm obviously not privy to the details of Bioware's development process, at least seem to be fairly straightforward to implement with the existing framework of the game - would go a long way towards placating players like myself.

Why not release class stories in "instalments"? Say first we get Jedi/Sith then after 3-4 months we get a set with Smuggler/IA and so on. Could be part of content patches, could be story packs for few quid. Always better than relying on bigger expansions.

Maybe instead of more stupid toys and vanity items, cartel market team could focus on paid story content to arrive on a regular basis and fill in the gaps between them with new cartel market items? The stuff we get from there is overwhelming and useless to many players in many cases (like some awful armor sets nobody wants).

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Oh look! Yet another thread whining pointlessly for story content! Awesome.

I'm gonna say what I always say when one of these threads pop up. No matter how many threads you all make, no matter how many forum petitions you all /sign there is one very simple fact that y'all really, really need to get through your thick heads:

Class stories died the second this game went f2p.

There won't be any more class stories, people. Get over it. No matter how much you whine and beg it's not gonna happen, because players already voted with their wallets and let EA/Bioware know that they weren't patient enough to pay a subscription to support time consuming, costly and production heavy class stories.

Don't like Makeb? Find another game to play. Because that's what the story content for the future of this game looks like.

Edited by Prisoner

I'm gonna say what I always say when one of these threads pop up. No matter how many threads you all make, no matter how many forum petitions you all /sign there is one very simple fact that y'all really, really need to get through your thick heads:

There won't be any more class stories, people. Get over it, No matter how much you whine and beg it's not gonna happen, because players already voted with their wallets and let EA/Bioware know that they weren't patient enough to pay a subscription to support time consuming, costly and production heavy class stories.

Don't like Makeb? Find another game to play. Because that's what the story content for the future of this game looks like.

yet another useless aggressive foaming at the mouth post

There won't be any more class stories, people. Get over it, No matter how much you whine and beg it's not gonna happen, because players already voted with their wallets and let EA/Bioware know that they weren't patient enough to pay a subscription to support time consuming, costly and production heavy class stories.

What the poster above me said...

Edited by Brexten

My hope is that with the next "expansion" comes a new planet, with a new world questline like Makeb has. BUT I also hope that they add class stories that go from Ilum, to Makeb, and then finish on this new planet so that we get a proper 4th act that is comparable to the previous acts.

As has been stated , I think that EA might discontinue the class stories as making 2 sets of faction quest instead of 8 individual quest ,plus multiple options, and voice over work on them would be cheaper for them to make. No amount of money thrown at the Cartel Market will bring this back. And I really hope I am wrong on this.

Alas with them trying to convince the audience that the Makeb storyline line "feels like your class quest" , my hope withers with the continuation of individual class fiction and the game making a sharp turn towards all those generic mmo's out there.:(

As has been stated , I think that EA might discontinue the class stories as making 2 sets of faction quest instead of 8 individual quest ,plus multiple options, and voice over work on them would be cheaper for them to make. No amount of money thrown at the Cartel Market will bring this back. And I really hope I am wrong on this.

Alas with them trying to convince the audience that the Makeb storyline line "feels like your class quest" , my hope withers with the continuation of individual class fiction and the game making a sharp turn towards all those generic mmo's out there.:(

well if they take that route i know they will lose my money. i won't even bother with going to prefered i will just walk away from the game altogether.

well if they take that route i know they will lose my money. i won't even bother with going to prefered i will just walk away from the game altogether.

Agreed. I'd be Ok with class stories being completely fluff, no leveling, no XP, no gear (maybe some cosmetic oranges) and entirely paid DLC. I'd be fine with that. Of course, it'd be against what they've promised in the past, but I'd rather pay money than never get any more class quests.

They've already said the plan to continue with faction-specific stories and not class stories. So if your playing existence revolves around that, then should you probably drop your sub and go preferred. Maybe some day they will add more class stories....never say never.....but it's doubtful and wouldn't be happening any time soon.