A Question of Order

JoseeLaVertueux

Is one of the following scenarios a better choice on average?

1] On each planet one plays all the missions and every thing to do before going to the next planet or

2] On each planet one plays many of the things to do including missions but leaves some things to do for later since there will be someone (an NPC) who is asking one to do something off world that seemingly cannot wait. The player also would go to the next planet and start some things to do before all the things are accomplished at the last planet.

So....which is a better option. There will be the inevitable "Play according to your playstyle and enjoy whichever you choose." It really seems that one of the above two should be a much better choice but it is not easy to determine it. Also the thing that weighs on me heavily is the continuity of the story and considering that then number two seems a better choice to follow one's story better.

What do you all think? (Well maybe not you ALL of you, just several of you.)

Personally, I do #1 because it makes more sense story-wise (to me) than the other. It wouldn't make much sense to abandon a planet in the middle of helping/terrorizing it (depending what faction you're playing), and it is better for leveling too. If you stop through the quests half-way to follow your class storyline, you may become under-leveled really quickly.

On the one hand this is true but it would seem logical that if one were on some important mission then they would sometimes come across a request for help from someone that would be a lesser mission but still important for those in need of one's services but logically would need to be declined as the current mission might carry a lot more importance and thus time could not be spared in helping when much higher stakes are about to be decided that could affect maybe millions of people.

A lot of times it seems there is truly no correct choice and one must make a decision nevertheless. This is where non Force-sensitives are at a disadvantage.

Edited by JoseeLaVertueux

On the one hand this is true but it would seem logical that if one were on some important mission then they would sometimes come across a request for help from someone that would be a lesser mission but still important for those in need of one's services but logically would need to be declined as the current mission might carry a lot more importance and thus time could not be spared in helping when much higher stakes are about to be decided that could affect maybe millions of people.

A lot of times it seems there is truly no correct choice and one must make a decision nevertheless. This is where non Force-sensitives are at a disadvantage.

I do not see how non Force-sensitives are at a disatvanage. If anything they HAVE the advantage because they do not have a need to rely so heavily on the Force like the Jedi and Sith (as stated by Kreia in KOTOR 2). Not to mention they do not need to worry about following some silly "code" or "rulebook" that restricts them from living their own life the way they choose. Anyway, I digress.

Back on topic: If you think the 2nd option makes more sense, then go for it! I might even try it sometime... may be fun to play the game from a different angle than the same-old-same-old.

Edited by Essence_of_Light

Some "silly code" well, that's just.../force chocks you!

lol

I've been doing as much as I can on each planet including all the bonuses. They can give some nice rewards. The other advantage I find is you usually end up a lvl or 2 above the min. for the next planet which makes it easier and faster while leveling on the new planet. Plus it's a lot of fun to follow the story line.

The planets are generally designed so that you complete them and then move on to the next. Only occasionally will you get sent back to a planet, and if you do it's normally because of your class story.

On each planet there's usually the following to do:

1) Your class story

2) The main planetary story

3) Side missions, usually linked to 2)

4) Bonus mission series, which usually opens up once you have completed 2)

Notes:

1) and 2) tend to follow roughly the same path through a planet, but not always. Sometimes the class story skips ahead or goes off on a tangent. So use the main planetary story as your guide of where to go and when.

The main planetary story usually starts by speaking to someone inside the space port, or on the orbital station. The bonus series is usually also someone at the space port or starter area.

The bonus missions are entirely optional. They are usually only worth doing if you need the xps. But if you find you are outlevelling the planet, skip them and move on to the next planet.

If you have multiple characters and don't feel like doing all the same old side missions, I like to do it like this:

do GSF class missions/side misssions until level 10, At level 10 you can incorporate Warzones to start leveling, Then at level 15 just do Class missions and Kuat Drive flashpoint (with all XP buffs) for fast leveling....but only good if you are tired of the repetitive side missions on every planet.

The bonus missions are entirely optional. They are usually only worth doing if you need the xps. But if you find you are outlevelling the planet, skip them and move on to the next planet.
The bonus seires on planets tends to be several levels higher than the planet's "normal" level range. So they actually can be more worth doing xp-wise, than other stuff, especially if you're a "completionist" - following Option 1 and doing everything on a planet (and thus being "overlevel") before moving on to the next.

A few examples (Republic side, levels may be different for Imperial characters):

Nar Shaddaa is for levels 20 - 24, but the Bonus series is for level 30+.

Alderaan is for level 28 - 32, but the Bonus series is for level 40+.

Hoth is level 37 - 41, but the bonus series is for level 47+.

And so on.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

A few examples (Republic side, levels may be different for Imperial characters):

Nar Shaddaa is for levels 20 - 24, but the Bonus series is for level 30+.

Alderaan is for level 28 - 32, but the Bonus series is for level 40+.

Hoth is level 37 - 41, but the bonus series is for level 47+.

These are the only examples of that, not 'a few', every other planet (for both sides) has their bonus series missions take place right after the normal planet storyline, level wise. You will still end up overleveled if you do them though, it can be nice to land on Nar Shaddaa already level 24-25 so everything's nice and quick.

One thing worth considering is alts. If like me you plan to play every main class at least once to get the most from the game, then you are going to be visiting these planets a lot.

For this reason I never do everything, but rather I do just enough to keep me at a suitable level, picking and choosing my missions as I go. This leaves some untouched side quests for my later characters, so the planet still has some fresh stuff to offer me as a player and story fatigue doesn't set in. I see so many players on planets complaining they are bored, this is my way of trying to avoid that. Hell, my Bounty Hunter and Smuggler characters (who I don't consider loyal to either faction) very rarely do the planetary chain at all, just their class quest and a few side missions.

If missing out quests on planets leaves you behind in your levelling (never seems to happen to me, as a sub I have the exact opposite problem) then there are always flashpoints, PVP, Space PVP and events to help you catch up.

Edited by PLynkes

1] On each planet one plays all the missions and every thing to do before going to the next planet or

2] On each planet one plays many of the things to do including missions but leaves some things to do for later since there will be someone (an NPC) who is asking one to do something off world that seemingly cannot wait. The player also would go to the next planet and start some things to do before all the things are accomplished at the last planet.

Your scenario 2 doesn't actually work very well. I thought this might be true when I was leveling my first character, but it just isn't. Planet have specific levels for which they are appropriate. If you move to a new planet to do missions you will find one of two scenarios are true. Either: a) you are under the level for mission on the new planet (which makes it tough to do), or b) you will return to finish the missions on the old planet and find you are way over-leveled (which means you get very little experience for completing them).

The intent seems to be to finish one planet at a time and then move on completely. Some of the bonus series have you returning to planets, but mostly not.

Garik

So....which is a better option. There will be the inevitable "Play according to your playstyle and enjoy whichever you choose." It really seems that one of the above two should be a much better choice but it is not easy to determine it. Also the thing that weighs on me heavily is the continuity of the story and considering that then number two seems a better choice to follow one's story better.

What do you all think? (Well maybe not you ALL of you, just several of you.)

IMO this is a case of too much "immersion." IMO your "problem" is that the design of the missions in scenario #2 do not take "extreme immersion" into account. The intent is not for you to drop everything and go to your fleet station for briefing (immersion), but to inform you that you have reached a point in the leveling process that you can do this next flashpoint and that it will be waiting for you whenever you choose to initiate it(meta-game).

Edited by psandak