Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Really? Why? You never questioned that did you? It seems people at TRION have no problem allowing for free server transfers to wherever people want to go, for whatever characters they want to move. Rift has the same type of server layout: a bunch of "worlds" which use to have their own population issues as well. Now that is changing.

If you let people go wherever they want, multiple transfers, but limited by time, they'll eventually reach an environment where they're content or even happy. Some want to be in a place where the server is packed. Some want activity, but not sitting around an open world waiting for others to finish their quest first. And yet others want just enough to do some PUGs. And of course some people are happy on isolated servers since they do only PvE solo content.

You can't possibly tell me that choice is harmful to people's gaming. You either won't have a straight face when you say it, or you're lying to me and/or yourself.

Players have a choice right now. And what are they doing? They're re-rolling alts on "The Fatman". What are they going to do if they could choose any server they wanted for a free transfer? They'll move all their abandoned characters to "The Fatman".

This would be disaster. It's pretty obvious why they have restrictions right now.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think it is mate.:)

well, we really have no choice here, having only one english RP-PvP server in EU, while transfers will be only from RP-PvP to RP-PvP means we 'd have no place to transfer, and none will transfer to us = same dead population :csw_yoda:

again you didnt have to, it was your choice

Not if you were stuck on a dead server like many of us were. There is no fun to be had in moving from planet to planet and then to fleet with no content to be completed because there were enough people. Rerolling was the only postive option unless you just like arguing semantics on the forums.

Players have a choice right now. And what are they doing? They're re-rolling alts on "The Fatman". What are they going to do if they could choose any server they wanted for a free transfer? They'll move all their abandoned characters to "The Fatman".

This would be disaster. It's pretty obvious why they have restrictions right now.

You're making the assumption (azz out of u and me) that everyone would got to Fatman. I sure as heck wouldn't. I'd like an active server, but not a full/packed server.

Also, you're assuming that they'd keep letting more and more people pile into a full server. If the server is "full" they wouldn't allow any more transfers to that server until it's no longer full. Problem solved.

Edited by cipher_nemo

You're making the assumption (azz out of u and me) that everyone would got to Fatman. I sure as heck wouldn't. I'd like an active server, but not a full/packed server.

Also, you're assuming that they'd keep letting more and more people pile into a full server. If the server is "full" they wouldn't allow any more transfers to that server until it's no longer full. Problem solved.

You will get to choose whatever server you want later. But, for the moment they have to have restrictions or it will be utter chaos for server populations.

You will get to choose whatever server you want later. But, for the moment they have to have restrictions or it will be utter chaos for server populations.

But NOT for free. And only after guilds are potentially fragmented as a result of this transfer-on-rails where they don't move guilds at all. People have to re-create, rename, etc.

I'm not all that picky about the server I'm on. But it would be nice to be on a server where doing a PUG isn't an exercise in futility. I am really more concerned with how this free move is taking place and how it's a total fubar for guilds, alliances, etc.

In the end, I'm the customer, you're the customer, and every other player here is the customer. But we're being the ones stuck with doing Bioware's work. Their inflexibility is driving subscribers away. It's contributing exactly to the stigma Bioware has for making poor choices about TOR.

Edited by cipher_nemo

again you didnt have to, it was your choice

I put in an effort just for you. I logged in with my main for the first time in a while. It is a legacy level 17 character that I apparently will not be playing again. It is prime time in EU. There are six (6) people in fleet.

So while you are technically right, it was my choice to reroll. You are also in the context of this discussion not quite that right: There really was no choice if I wanted to actually play. So the choice was not play (warzones, ops etc) or reroll.

And now Bioware thinks it is quite all right to add insult to injury and not let me merge my characters.

Also, the discussion is polarized. The apologists say that the restrictions put in are the only way, because restrictions are needed. That is not correct. There can be restrictions to achieve a goal - say not crows The Fatman more. Simply do not allow transfers to The Fatman except for the people that had a level X character there this morning. Problem solved and many other problems could be solved with a little less harsh restrictions. Also, before the twisting of words start: Yes, they would probably need other restrictions.

But there is a long way from having necessary restrictions to achieve goals to having no flexibility at all. There is room for real solutions here.

I put in an effort just for you. I logged in with my main for the first time in a while. It is a legacy level 17 character that I apparently will not be playing again. It is prime time in EU. There are six (6) people in fleet.

So while you are technically right, it was my choice to reroll. You are also in the context of this discussion not quite that right: There really was no choice if I wanted to actually play. So the choice was not play (warzones, ops etc) or reroll.

And now Bioware thinks it is quite all right to add insult to injury and not let me merge my characters.

Also, the discussion is polarized. The apologists say that the restrictions put in are the only way, because restrictions are needed. That is not correct. There can be restrictions to achieve a goal - say not crows The Fatman more. Simply do not allow transfers to The Fatman except for the people that had a level X character there this morning. Problem solved and many other problems could be solved with a little less harsh restrictions. Also, before the twisting of words start: Yes, they would probably need other restrictions.

But there is a long way from having necessary restrictions to achieve goals to having no flexibility at all. There is room for real solutions here.

I feel that the nail has been hit right on the head and is in the board.

From the announcement: "We can tell you that all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa!"

I haven't read all the posts...just throwing out my question/opinion.

Why? What if someone wants to transfer to PvP or PvE? It almost sounds like you can request to transfer and then the system will decide to what new server you are getting dropped into. Maybe I misread or reading too much into it. That is the only reason I can see for them not allowing it. Again, I am probably missing something.

I know of one person that would leave a PvE to join us on PvP....if there is one, surely there are others that would want to.

They should have done a survey about server transfers...as well as many other things but hey, TOR employees have a proven track record on what is best for us. ;)

The apologists say that the restrictions put in are the only way, because restrictions are needed. That is not correct.

QFT.

There are probably hundreds, if not thousands of ways to handle this sort of transfer. And so far, Bioware has made all of the most limiting, most annoying, most pain-inducing decisions possible short of allowing no transfers at all. I couldn't possibly devise a strategy that is more totalitarian than their current plan.

There is absolute freedom, which is really anarchy, and no one is suggesting that. Yet there are numerous ways to handle server transfers that can mix a good balance of flexibility and restrictions. Bioware isn't even in that ballpark yet.

From the announcement: "We can tell you that all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa!"

I haven't read all the posts...just throwing out my question/opinion.

Why? What if someone wants to transfer to PvP or PvE? It almost sounds like you can request to transfer and then the system will decide to what new server you are getting dropped into. Maybe I misread or reading too much into it. That is the only reason I can see for them not allowing it. Again, I am probably missing something.

I know of one person that would leave a PvE to join us on PvP....if there is one, surely there are others that would want to.

They should have done a survey about server transfers...as well as many other things but hey, TOR employees have a proven track record on what is best for us. ;)

Well they are building a foundation for future MMOs , we just have to be patient and see what happens.. everyone can speculate this or that, but until the 12th we have to wait unfortunately, and selective servers to transfer too out of a select list (like most mmos do right now) isnt too bad an ideah to be honest.

But NOT for free. And only after guilds are potentially fragmented as a result of this transfer-on-rails where they don't move guilds at all. People have to re-create, rename, etc.

I'm not all that picky about the server I'm on. But it would be nice to be on a server where doing a PUG isn't an exercise in futility. I am really more concerned with how this free move is taking place and how it's a total fubar for guilds, alliances, etc.

In the end, I'm the customer, you're the customer, and every other player here is the customer. But we're being the ones stuck with doing Bioware's work. Their inflexibility is driving subscribers away. It's contributing exactly to the stigma Bioware has for making poor choices about TOR.

I'm a guild leader myself so I know this transfer system has it's flaws. My guild will most likely have to rebuild on a new server, but it's a small price to pay to get off a dead server. Our whole guild has been discussing and preparing for this for months. And we're going to do whatever it takes to make our game experience enjoyable for all.

But, to complain about this and that isn't helping any. BioWare has a problem with server populations and they're fixing it. They can't please everyone, so they're doing their best to please the majority. I for one am happy they are constantly trying to make the game better and not just giving up like so many players have done. :)

Edited by WrecklessMEDIC

Yeah transfer from dead to dead server. And why can't you let players choose between Pve to PvP or RP servers as destinations? I would never want to transfer characters to any server but the one I rerolled and which is alive, so this free transfer going to be a big fail.

selective servers to transfer too out of a select list (like most mmos do right now) isnt too bad an ideah to be honest.

Please name them. Most MMOs who offer server transfers, whether free or paid, do very little limiting on where you can go. LOTRO is pretty open and Rift is almost wide-open.

Edited by cipher_nemo

If your server becomes eligible for free character transfers, you'll be able to move all your characters from that server onto the destination server.

What if you have characters already on the destination server, but have 8 characters on the origin server? There are only 8 slots available, so if you have say 8 chars on the origin server and 3 on the destination server, how will it be handled?

Edit: Granted, I know the chances of this are fairly slim but it's still a possibility that I'm sure some people will encounter.

Edited by GamewizX

Some people don't understand... that these transfers are for people currently playing on a dead server.

You re-rolled? Sorry.

You want a different TYPE of server? Sorry.

You've got multiple characters on a dead server and you'd like to move? Here's a new one.

I have a feeling that even this level of transfers is a tremendous undertaking.. but people seem to expect insta guild transfers, are upset NOW that their Fatman characters won't be able to be consolidated with their old servers characters, or OMG I want to be on a PvP server now... it's not meant to fix deliberate actions done by the player it's meant to stablize the current population.

In the future I'm sure doing some of those things may be options for a little $, but as of this moment, they're putting out a very large fire and to expect them to cater to your every transfering desire just isn't realistic.

Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.

Hi Joveth,

I am wondering about this: with the relatively small number of RP-PVP servers in each region, won't this result in RP-PVP server populations being quite a lot smaller than the other other server types? Ven Zallow plus Jung Ma would still be a relatively small server. And poor Ajunta Pall has nowhere to go at all unless all three are pushed together.

I don't mean to dump on the system -- I'm very happy that this is happening. But is there any chance of a rethink on this one?

Thanks,

G

Some people don't understand... that these transfers are for people currently playing on a dead server.

You re-rolled? Sorry.

You've got multiple characters on a dead server and you'd like to move? Here's a new one.

I have a feeling that even this level of transfers is a tremendous undertaking.. but people seem to expect insta guild transfers, are upset NOW that their Fatman characters won't be able to be consolidated with their old servers characters, or OMG I want to be on a PvP server now... it's not meant to fix deliberate actions done by the player it's meant to stablize the current population.

In the future I'm sure doing some of those things may be options for a little $, but as of this moment, they're putting out a very large fire and to expect them to cater to your every transfering desire just isn't realistic.

I'm in 100% agreeance :D

Although I still think BW should do more because the CSRs did tell them to re-roll.

Edited by psi_overtake

You re-rolled? Sorry.

Agreed. If you want specific server transfers to the server of your choosing, that will only come AFTER the initial population problem is fixed with this "Phase 1", and it will also come with a price tag.