J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Hardwear

You forget, Abrams has no such control over the new Star Wars film. So you can only judge him by his cinematography.

his directing isnt all that great either. and directing isnt just about cimematography. even the first 5 minutes of the movie was poorly done and made little to no sense at all.

just because many of the previous star trek movies were really poorly done, doesnt mean JJ should get tones of credit for making a movie that wasnt as bad as other trek movies. did any of the ship interiors actually feel like star trek at all? nope. how did you like the engine room? looked like a beer distilery. probably because it was an actual beer distilery. scotty and mccoy were just charactatures of the originals. spock was nothing how spock was in the oringinal series. he didnt really even seem like a vulcan. even it some of the poorly done movies, spock never came across as a totally nieve whinny brat. def the worst vulcan portrayal of any of the movies or TV series. even kirsty was a more believable vulcan.

and how do you know how much control he has or doesnt have with the star wars movie? even if he is just the director... many times directors are given ALOT of control over story/content. hopfully he has next to no control at all and is really just a token name to drive up hype and buzz. at the very least, we all should pray that whats left of lucasfilm will be in charge of set design. ideally JJ has zero say in script changes or story changes.

Edited by MiaRB

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

his directing isnt all that great either. and directing isnt just about cimematography. even the first 5 minutes of the movie was poorly done and made little to no sense at all.

just because many of the previous star trek movies were really poorly done, doesnt mean JJ should get tones of credit for making a movie that wasnt as bad as other trek movies. did any of the ship interiors actually feel like star trek at all? nope. how did you like the engine room? looked like a beer distilery. probably because it was an actual beer distilery. scotty and mccoy were just charactatures of the originals. spock was nothing how spock was in the oringinal series. he didnt really even seem like a vulcan. even it some of the poorly done movies, spock never came across as a totally nieve whinny brat. def the worst vulcan portrayal of any of the movies or TV series. even kirsty was a more believable vulcan.

and how do you know how much control he has or doesnt have with the star wars movie? even if he is just the director... many times directors are given ALOT of control over story/content. hopfully he has next to no control at all and is really just a token name to drive up hype and buzz. at the very least, we all should pray that whats left of lucasfilm will be in charge of set design. ideally JJ has zero say in script changes or story changes.

Is was a beer distillery :p

But I complete accept your criticisms of his directing skills. I'm just point out that criticizing the story and acting is irrelevant, because he isn't in control of that, at least not in Star Wars.

I also highly doubt Star Wars is going to be a 'reboot', (they've already said its going to be an original trilogy) That only worked with Star Trek because Star Trek was originally a TV series, not a movie, it was inevitable, the only viable course of action because people simply aren't familiar with a sci-fi series of the 1960s. They would be confused and disorientated if Abrams suddenly plunged them into the 'next chapter' in the Enterpise saga. A 'rehash' if you like of the saga was inevitable. But again, irrelevant because Star Wars is a famous and popular modern film series, with an entire universe of lore behind it, and its still going. Anyone working with such a delicate project has to step carefully and cannot afford to change anything. And with the possibility of a reboot being completely unlikely, their is nothing for him to 'misinterpret' or 'ruin'. Unless he decides to make lightsabers multicolored. :p

And I highly doubt J.J Abrams will be given that sort of control over Star Wars. The fact is you don't know that anyway, all you know is he's the director, which makes your statements even more outlandish and baseless. I highly highly doubt this will be the case, what with Star Wars being an extremely delicate franchise, which unlike Star Trek, is still going strong and with a whole realm of lore surrounding it, and with George Lucas still there as a consulant, the entire company that is Lucasfilm running the show, and the mahoosive company that is Disney running them. That was non-existent in the Star Trek film, it was such Abrams, some other guys and Paramount Pictures - who I doubt were as heavily involved as George, Disney and Lucasfilm will be (may I reiterate, a company entirely dedicated to producing Star Wars).

So again, the only thing you can comment on are his directing skills. And I think using real sets instead of a smorgasbord of CGI will be a breath of fresh air for Star Wars and a return to the original trilogy. (Or did you forget that most of the sets in the original trilogy were not CGI?)

Is was a beer distillery :p

And I highly doubt J.J Abrams will be given that sort of control over Star Wars. The fact is you don't know that anyway, all you know is he's the director, which makes your statements even more outlandish and baseless.So again, the only thing you can comment on are his directing skills.

like you, i also thought JJ was just the director. that is until i just read the jan 25 press release from starwars.com. JJ is not only the director, but he and is partner, bryan burk, are producers as is his production company, "bad robot". same team that made the star trek movie. only dif is, Kathleen Kennedy is also a co -producer. most important thing to note is, bad robot is the production company, not lucasfilm.

Edited by MiaRB

like you, i also thought JJ was just the director. that is until i just read the jan 25 press release from starwars.com. JJ is not only the director, but he and is partner, bryan burk, are producers as is his production company, "bad robot". same team that made the star trek movie. only dif is, Kathleen Kennedy is also a co -producer. most important thing to note is, bad robot is the production company, not lucasfilm.
Yeah, I gathered that. But Lucasfilm are still involved as well. Nowhere does it say Lucasfilm are not producing Star Wars - by the looks of it their co-producing, and we know who will have the bigger say - Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm. The people who own the rights to Star Wars and everything in it. And then there's Disney to consider as well. And the writer, Micheal Ardnt. And the long list of consultants too, including George Lucas, which just seems to be growing and growing. There are so many people involved in this project that Abrams simply can't take full control, he can't even make a single decision with out consulting dozens of other people and then thinking about the fan base and the likes of you baying for his blood, as well as the effect it will have on EU material. Makes sense why so many Directors were afraid to take on this project.

And I can't stress this enough, its not a reboot! So comparing it with Star Trek is silly. This is a totally different story.

Yeah, I gathered that. But Lucasfilm are still involved as well. Nowhere does it say Lucasfilm are not producing Star Wars - by the looks of it their co-producing, and we know who will have the bigger say - Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm. The people who own the rights to Star Wars and everything in it. And then there's Disney to consider as well. And the writer, Micheal Ardnt. And the long list of consultants too, including George Lucas, which just seems to be growing and growing. There are so many people involved in this project that Abrams simply can't take full control, he can't even make a single decision with out consulting dozens of other people and then thinking about the fan base and the likes of you baying for his blood, as well as the effect it will have on EU material. Makes sense why so many Directors were afraid to take on this project.

And I can't stress this enough, its not a reboot! So comparing it with Star Trek is silly. This is a totally different story.

well, ill say something positive to start with before i go back to being negative. one good thing is, JJ is/was not only a fan of star wars( he wasnt actually a trek fan ), but he is also a fan of lucas as a film maker ( more than just the star wars films ) and has alot of respect for lucas. that and the fact that lucas is still alive( opposed to Roddenberry ) gives some hope that he will be less likely to do what he did with the trek movie( basically **** on Roddenberry's lifes work and didnt think twice about it).

back to being negative... this is the same set up as how the trek movie went. was set to be a new original story line to take place over mulitple movies with new characters. but that was changed once JJs production company was given the movie. without knowing the actual details of the deal with bad robot, none of us can say that JJ has total control or if he has limited control. but, the fact that bad robot is the production company and JJ and his partner are producers, that pretty much says he has much more control than you might think. maybe not total control, but alot of control.

also, lucasfilm is really no more and has zero say in anything. disney owns everything star wars and they have final say over everything. disney is a for profit big hollywood studio and their only concern is how much money the film with bring in. disney doesnt care about star wars anymore than viacom cared about star trek.

also, lucasfilm is really no more and has zero say in anything. disney owns everything star wars and they have final say over everything. disney is a for profit big hollywood studio and their only concern is how much money the film with bring in. disney doesnt care about star wars anymore than viacom cared about star trek.

Well you kind of answered the question to your own concern, we've established that J.J. definately won't have total control and as you said Disney owns everthing and has the final say J.J. is an employee not the boss.

Its been said since the beginning of all this that the new movies would be original stories, stories that have been in the writing process by Arndt long before todays confirmation of Abrams and since it has been referred to as Episode VII obviously some continuation of the chronological order.

Even if they were crazy enough to let .J.J. or any director make the decision how many people do you think would be happy about a reboot over a continuation of this story?

Let's keep in mind directing this movie comes with consequences it could make Abrams a hero or just as easily destroy his career.

Also I disagree with the statement that Disney doesn't care about the property obviously they are a business that wants a return on their $4 billion investment, but I think Lucas chose them specifically because of his close relationship with Kathy Kennedy and because they have an excellent track record for increasing the success of their aquisitions like Pixar and Marvel.

Can't say how this will play out ultimately, but I think Disney was the best choice imo.

Edited by Hardwear

Well you kind of answered the question to your own concern, we've established that J.J. definately won't have total control and as you said Disney owns everthing and has the final say J.J. is an employee not the boss.

Its been said since the beginning of all this that the new movies would be original stories, stories that have been in the writing process by Arndt long before todays confirmation of Abrams and since it has been referred to as Episode VII obviously some continuation of the chronological order.

Even if they were crazy enough to let .J.J. or any director make the decision how many people do you think would be happy about a reboot over a continuation of this story?

Let's keep in mind directing this movie comes with consequences it could make Abrams a hero or just as easily destroy his career.

Also I disagree with the statement that Disney doesn't care about the property obviously they are a business that wants a return on their $4 billion investment, but I think Lucas chose them specifically because of his close relationship with Kathy Kennedy and because they have an excellent track record for increasing the success of their aquisitions like Pixar and Marvel.

Can't say how this will play out ultimately, but I think Disney was the best choice imo.

well, to be clear, i am not saying that i think JJ is going to reboot star wars or remake a new hope or anything like that. i am saying, whatever has been leaked or said before JJ and his production company were handed the keys to star wars doesnt mean much. for the same reasons everything that was said about what star trek was going to be didnt mean much because he scrapped it and did want HE wanted to do.

he has proven that he doesnt care one bit about canon or a franchise. his star trek movie is an example of that. but more importantly, his own statements and comments he has made since being given the keys to the star trek movie franchise make it clear he could care less what has come before or what will come after. his only care is making the movie he wants to make and how he wants to make it.

what makes you think disney cares about star wars in the same way that lucas does? they dont. they care about star wars the same way paramount/viacom/cbs corp cares about star trek. its just a money making machine and that is all. disney wont care what JJ does to the movie as long as it makes money. i dont doubt it will make money, just like his trek movie made money. but it wont really be a star wars movie for the same reasons his trek movie isnt really star trek. it will be a generic fluff action movie, nothing more than that. and im sure it will have the same cheap look that trek had.

well, to be clear, i am not saying that i think JJ is going to reboot star wars or remake a new hope or anything like that. i am saying, whatever has been leaked or said before JJ and his production company were handed the keys to star wars doesnt mean much. for the same reasons everything that was said about what star trek was going to be didnt mean much because he scrapped it and did want HE wanted to do.

Your argument is thin and contradictory, on one hand you say Disney owns everything and has the final say on the other you say JJ has been handed the keys to do whatever he wants suggesting he could potentially overule whatever plans that have already been established or are in motion.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that Disney is handing full control of their $4 billion investment to a director they employ.

what makes you think disney cares about star wars in the same way that lucas does? they dont. they care about star wars the same way paramount/viacom/cbs corp cares about star trek. its just a money making machine and that is all. disney wont care what JJ does to the movie as long as it makes money. i dont doubt it will make money, just like his trek movie made money. but it wont really be a star wars movie for the same reasons his trek movie isnt really star trek. it will be a generic fluff action movie, nothing more than that. and im sure it will have the same cheap look that trek had

What you suggest is that Lucas abandoned his kid at some random strangers door step with a note attached.

No company can care for Star Wars the way Lucas does it's his lifes work and legacy, but he's also aknowledged as he's gotten older that it needs new energy to move forward and he chose Disney specifically and atleast in my opinion when you weigh it against the other companies like Fox, Paramount or Universal etc, Disney is the most logical safest choice given their track record.

..but my biggest problem with your argument is that you speak in this de fac-to tone as if you have some inside track on how this is all going to play out and you ignore the fact that Star Trek was well recieved by most fans and critics.

Edited by Hardwear

Now, that's something to be excited about...

Does anyone have a clue when the Star Wars timeline movie will be set?

Right after the movies?

30 years later so you can give the original actors, particularly Harrison Ford, short appearances? (Not sure whether the audience wants to see old Han Solo, though)

In a distant future so it doesn't clash with existing novels?

Will it override the novels completely, adapt themes from it and tell a new story (such as the Yuuzahn Vong) or tell a completely new story, ignoring existing material?

I'm very happy, when it was announced Disney had bought the rights I thought 'Wouldn't it be great if they could get someone like Abrams directing that', his films have been quality and he loves SW. I think we are lucky to have him Directing it.

Now, that's something to be excited about...

Does anyone have a clue when the Star Wars timeline movie will be set?

Right after the movies?

30 years later so you can give the original actors, particularly Harrison Ford, short appearances? (Not sure whether the audience wants to see old Han Solo, though)

In a distant future so it doesn't clash with existing novels?

Will it override the novels completely, adapt themes from it and tell a new story (such as the Yuuzahn Vong) or tell a completely new story, ignoring existing material?

From the tidbits I've read, forget everything you know about the EU, it won't exist.

Last I read, the trio were in discussions about reprising their roles. Can't imagine the triplets having a significant role in the next film, other than some closure, and the passing of the baton, so to speak. Either way it materializes, the fact we'll have more Star Wars films, can only be a good thing.

Edited by Pirana

..but my biggest problem with your argument is that you speak in this de fac-to tone as if you have some inside track on how this is all going to play out and you ignore the fact that Star Trek was well recieved by most fans and critics.

Exactly. Mate, your talking bantha poodoo. How do you know so much about Disney, Abrams and Bad Robot - and everything else?

Who told you Disney doesn't give a damn about Star Wars?

Who told you J.J Abrams doesn't give a damn about Star Wars? Has total control of everything and wants to make the film bad because he's a self-hating lunatic who wants to ruin own his career?

And where on earth did you get the idea that Lucasfilm (the co-producers) have no say in anything anymore? Did I miss something? Have they gone into administration?

And like Hardwear says, your completely ignoring the hugely positive reviews that Star Trek recieved from just about everyone. Or are you saying they're opinion counts for nothing? Bad 'generic fluff' action movies don't get nominated for, and win Oscars - do they?

I understand that your a Trekkie fan and are angry that Abrams didn't stay true to the original Star Trek image but that doesn't mean you can start hating on him before he's made a single move concerning Star Wars. And I can't stress enough that Star Wars is a completely different story. Its not a reboot because there's nothing that needs rebooting, its set in stone (and I mean set in stone) that next Star Wars films are going to be Episode VII, VIII IX. The writers have already been picked for the next episodes, the started writing the story before Abrams even got picked, (the key word there being 'picked' - Lucasfilm chose him, not the other way round.) Lucasfilm have made an official announcement. Nothing has been 'leaked' - its official. (Did that happen with Star Trek? Of course it didn't because Star Trek doesn't have its own company to make an announcement - all you heard where rumours which of course aren't set in stone) It's on paper, done and done.

And remember, Bad Robot are the co-production company. Co-production. It says in the press release that J.J Abrams is the co-producer. The other producer being Kathleen Kennedy, the Chairman of Lucasfilm. Which means that Lucasfilm have half if not more control over the production of Star Wars than Bad Robot. So where your getting the idea that Lucasfilm have been sidelined I don't know. Its bizzare. And Disney funnily enough actually do care about a franchise they've invested $4 billion dollars into. Just like they cared about Marvel which they invested $4 billion dollars into. Strangely enough they want it to do well which means it has to be popular with the mass public and the fans. Otherwise its success will be shortlived. Very shortlived. Or are you suggesting bad films do better than good films now? And don't even get me started on George Lucas and the whole list of other consultants involved in this project. Abrams is gonna be like a Yoda puppet producing this film.

Edited by Beniboybling

And where on earth did you get the idea that Lucasfilm (the co-producers) have no say in anything anymore? Did I miss something? Have they gone into administration?

Actually, to support your post, during the film clips interviews with Lucas when this was first announced, Lucas said he'll continue to consult on scripts and retain creative control through his right to veto story ideas. Plus, his daughter is actively involved with the franchise.

I think the sale to Disney was a move to breathe new life into the franchise and to release some of the burden on Lucas as the sole creative force.

Actually, to support your post, during the film clips interviews with Lucas when this was first announced, Lucas said he'll continue to consult on scripts and retain creative control through his right to veto story ideas. Plus, his daughter is actively involved with the franchise.

I think the sale to Disney was a move to breathe new life into the franchise and to release some of the burden on Lucas as the sole creative force.

And Lucasfilm itself are still producing Star Wars (that is there sole purpose as a company :p)

But yeah I agree, giving Star Wars to new people, including Abrams and Bad Robot is a good thing. Good to see new faces and new ideas in the franchise. But I also think its important to keep Lucas involved. He may have lost his way a bit in the prequels, but in terms of lore he knows how it should be done. I mean the only place he could have said to have gone wrong on that account in the prequels is the introduction of midi-chlorians - but personally I have nothing against that.

Gods above, spirits about, and demons below please do not let this happen.

This guy has already destroyed one of the finest sci fi series ever created and turned it's prime hero into a drunken frat boy. Do we really want him tampering with Star Wars?

One the other hand he does have experience with genocide, planet destruction, and douchebag hero's with daddy issues so then again you never know.

Exactly. Mate, your talking bantha poodoo. How do you know so much about Disney, Abrams and Bad Robot - and everything else?

ummm, i know how to read.

im talking banttha poodoo? you and some others are kinda talking the poodooo. in this thread it was said that JJ was just the director of star trek which is not true. also has been said the JJ is just the director of the new star wars movie, which is not true.

You would be wrong about that. Disney has had a very close relationship with Star Wars. If you had ever been to Star Wars weekends you would know that.

during which they invite the 501st a fan made storm trooper legion to join in on the parade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dGDllBu-Qw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et4HlOkvV_U

Disney is also the reason why the last two Star Wars celebrations were held in Orlando.

Yes Disney cares about profit but unlike Viacom they know the best way to maxize profit is to make something the best that it can be. That's why the Marvel movies are so freaking amazing right now.

Edited by jarjarloves

You would be wrong about that. Disney has had a very close relationship with Star Wars. If you had ever been to Star Wars weekends you would know that.

during which they invite the 501st a fan made storm trooper legion to join in on the parade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dGDllBu-Qw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et4HlOkvV_U

Disney is also the reason why the last two Star Wars celebrations were held in Orlando.

Yes Disney cares about profit but unlike Viacom they know the best way to maxize profit is to make something the best that it can be. That's why the Marvel movies are so freaking amazing right now.

i do think disney was the lesser of all evils as far as what hollywood studio lucas decided to sell star wars off too. but to think disney cares more for star wars or any franchise more than paramount cares about star trek isnt really true. the fact the disney did the exact same thing paramount/viacom did by putting the movie into the hands of JJ Abrams, his partner and his production company, says they are not being more protective of the star wars franchise than the owners of the trek movie franchise were.

JJ will make a movie that will make money and disney will be happy. but there is no reason to believe the new star wars movie is going really be any dif than the trek movies JJ has made.

i do think disney was the lesser of all evils as far as what hollywood studio lucas decided to sell star wars off too. but to think disney cares more for star wars or any franchise more than paramount cares about star trek isnt really true. the fact the disney did the exact same thing paramount/viacom did by putting the movie into the hands of JJ Abrams, his partner and his production company, says they are not being more protective of the star wars franchise than the owners of the trek movie franchise were.

JJ will make a movie that will make money and disney will be happy. but there is no reason to believe the new star wars movie is going really be any dif than the trek movies JJ has made.

Don't you listen? There is every reason! Why? Because unlike with Star Trek - JJ Abrams is coproducing with Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy. He's also co-producing with Kasdan and Kinberg. And has George Lucas as a consultant, who as a fan, will listen to. So thats 4 other people and a company. Not to mention the fact he's late to the party, Micheal Ardnt has already begun writing the script. And lets also remember that Star Wars is a whole different story. Its a ongoing saga not a reboot, so Abrams has to work within some sort of structure already set out for him. Disney has by no means handed the movie to Abrams like Viacom did Star Trek.

And finally Star Trek is a critically acclaimed film. So if it turns out anything like that, I'm happy. Personally I'd love to see Star Wars get at score of 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and win an Oscar.

Don't you listen? There is every reason! Why? Because unlike with Star Trek - JJ Abrams is coproducing with Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy. He's also co-producing with Kasdan and Kinberg. And has George Lucas as a consultant, who as a fan, will listen to. So thats 4 other people and a company. Not to mention the fact he's late to the party, Micheal Ardnt has already begun writing the script. And lets also remember that Star Wars is a whole different story. Its a ongoing saga not a reboot, so Abrams has to work within some sort of structure already set out for him. Disney has by no means handed the movie to Abrams like Viacom did Star Trek.

And finally Star Trek is a critically acclaimed film. So if it turns out anything like that, I'm happy. Personally I'd love to see Star Wars get at score of 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and win an Oscar.

lol, stop with the oscar thing, k. trek won for best makeup, not best movie or best director or anything like that. the other three nominations were also for technical stuff.

he isnt really all that late to the party. he is actually early to the party compared to his hiring for the trek movies. how is this any dif the trek? if you look at both projects, this really isnt starting out any dif than how trek started out. writers for trek were already hired and working before JJ was hired, same as with start wars. planning for the trek film had been in planning for a longer time than the planning for ep 7 has been. and as with trek, once JJ, his partners and his production company were hired, everything that was already done was subject to change.

i think Kasdan and Kinberg are working on seperate projects? last i read they are working on seperate star wars projects since disney has plans for more than just a trilogy of films. they also have said( been leaked ) that there will be some one off films based in the star wars universe that will/may be totally unrelated to 7, 8 ,9.

could be worse i guess, apparently disney was all set to hand the job to affleck. but at the last minute steven s convinced abrams to take the job( he had turned it down initially ). makes me wonder, just how much say lucas actually has. i dont think he has any say or input to be honest. i think he probably called his buddy steven in a panic and begged steven to talk JJ into taking the job to stop disney from handing over his lifes work to ben affleck. lol. yeah, i may not love JJ abrams, but he is def better than ben affleck.

He made Star Trek feel like a Star Wars movie. And I'm sure Trekkies loathe it for that reason alone.

Abrams is the best man for the job based on his past work. I don't know how many times I wondered what the prequels could have been if they'd just had an average director...this guy is way above average.

From here it's just a question of what the storyline will be and I'm just glad they aren't using the godawful EU stories as source material. I honestly never thought this day would come...wow.

I will judge it when I see it, but I think he was likely the best choice out there. Could of been a lot worse, we could of ended up with Michael Bay (and in Transformers fashion) the first movie would of been good and everything else would suck...

Gods above, spirits about, and demons below please do not let this happen.

This guy has already destroyed one of the finest sci fi series ever created and turned it's prime hero into a drunken frat boy. Do we really want him tampering with Star Wars?

Have you even watched Star Trek 7-10? J. J. Abrams revived Star Trek! The movies before his had already lost everything the TV show was about.

I agree and I think the reason may be that some people are associating this "total control" director idea with George Lucas.

George Lucas is one of a kind he had total contol over the Star Wars films before he sold it to Disney this is partly why Hollywood hated him.

No production company execs to tell him what to do or even have a say in what he did good or bad.

He wrote the stories, produced, directed and had the final say on everthing even on the films he didn't direct, because he owned the rights to the films.

This will not be the case with Abrams or any other director.

Good Point! also, Lucas was hated because at the time of EP. 4 (1977) Movie credits were shown at the start of a movie, Lucas put them at the end.... A trend he started and now followed by many.