SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I have followed the instructions to the letter, but when I launch the program and go into settings, if I stay in that screen for too long, the UI stops responding and I am unable to click anything. Not really sure whats going on, but curious if anyone else has encountered this.

Alright, so my performance issue has always been warzones. I get 40 fps on fleet, 109 on my own ship, and a dismal 5-15 in heavy fighting in warzones.

I'm running:

Phenom X4 9750 Quad

GTX 560 (non-TI)

Asus M4N-78 PRO

8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM.

This system is a mid range system built on a bit of a budget, and serves me VERY well in almost every game, but in tor, I've had the same framerate warzone issues since I had an 8800gt and a dual core.

Installing this program has definitely increased my fps in warzones. Up from 5 fps minimum to 15 minimum heavy fighting with almost everything selected to load to RAM. This makes PVP at least FAIRLY playable.

My GPU has always been about 20% loaded and my CPU at about 50%. My FPS indicator is red, which I heard to mean my GPU is the bottleneck, but I'm not sure how that can be with it at 20% usage.

Anyway, this program has definitely helped out, and I'd recommend it to anyone who's tried all of the other fixes.

The sad part of all of this is that Bioware can't be arsed to code the software to intrinsically take advantage of systems with more RAM by doing this.

• 32-bit programs can only access 2GB of memory by default on 32-bit Windows. With some tweaking, its possible to get 3GB.
  • On 64-bit Windows, 32-bit programs can access up to 4GB.
  • A 64-bit program on 64-bit Windows can access up to 8 TB.

So why not make SWTOR 64-bit? Two ways:

• Just change it to 64-bit, drop 32-bit. -- Loses a lot of users (a huge minority, possibly even still majority of people, use 32-bit Windows).
  • Make 64-bit version but also keep supporting 32-bit. -- More work, probably slower releases.

So there are some good reasons why SWTOR doesn't do that out of the box :)

I am tehcnologically a little bit slow, I have ImDisk and the SWTOR Unleashed downloaded but am not exactly sure where to go from there, i've tried certain things but nothing that changed my in game FPS.

Was wondering if sombody had some spare time to help me through this, twoud be amazing. :)

You guys forget that no matter how much effort you put in to improve, when you are faced with a clunky game engine and botched programming, you simply can't improve things.

With Bioware adding more and more stupid animations for pets, vehicles, power ups, add ons, etc etc, all creates more lag on the server and especially in places like the fleet.

Week by week, lag is getting worse.

You guys forget that no matter how much effort you put in to improve, when you are faced with a clunky game engine and botched programming, you simply can't improve things.

With Bioware adding more and more stupid animations for pets, vehicles, power ups, add ons, etc etc, all creates more lag on the server and especially in places like the fleet.

Week by week, lag is getting worse.

I dont have a problem with the game engine at all and I have played since launch.

The Unleashed improves the performance even with my high end laptop

Edited by Icestar

Hi Exca / Moderators

Another happy customer here, it's been awhile since I have used bat files and Ram drives going back to DOS days now. I managed to get it going with little fuss and was pleased to find a solid increase in performance. 10% boost in FPS in general world and 20% boost in warzones and PVP areana!

My PC specs are pretty good the performance before hand was still good. I prefer using Catalyst Control graphic overrides for textures, anti-aliasing and v-sync. This gives the game a nice softer look and boosts FPS by 10% at least. Windows is set for performance too.

Intel® "Yorkfield" Core™2 Quad Processor Q9650

(12M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

MSI HD 6870 twin frozr ii/OC

8 Gig system ram

Keep up the good work this ram drive easily rivals a moderate hardware upgrade. Which begs the question why don't developers maker more use of systems with high amounts of ram??? Provided people are aware that they need the physical RAM and to not over multitask. SWTOR is not the only game with flaws. Foolish really.

I am currently using the default batch settings do you recommend dedicating more RAM or anything else?

I think I am covering: LocalApps + DiskCacheArena + FX + Dynamic

Kind regards

Edited by SonOfSega

I still have left over space in my RAM drive after doing FX + Dynamic. Are there any particular assets you recommend loading for someone mostly logging in and out of fleet/alting, doing end game raiding and HM FPS? Edited by KarethRiker

Just a note...as far as I can tell, Unleashed DOES work properly with the newest version of ImDisk, 1.7.3 (though it seems it takes a bit longer to create the RAMDISK). Anyone else able to confirm?

What benefits to use the new ImDisk 1.7.3? If it seems to be taking longer to loadup. It gives better performanace?

Did a search to see if this was listed anywhere else here or on the forums abroad and found nothing;

In the additional performance recommendations it says to install DirectX 9.0 runtime alongside your updated version, however any attempt to do so simply returns a message saying a newer version is detected and no install is required.

Any Ideas?

Windows 7

Thanks

Very nice performance boost for me. Was 60 FPS, but often with shadows on I'd dip to 40 or so and stuttering down to 15 now and again for a second or two. Now I'm mostly at a solid 60. I still have issues in combat though, is there any way around this? I know there's only so much you can do to counter engine issues but I thought I'd ask.

I got the same problem with my lightsaber, i use the orange/red crystal from cartel market. I think some textures are missing, already did remove&quit before patching.

Ok, i did a reboot of my PC, but before rebooting i did remove and quit and deleted the SwtorUnleashed.xml, now everything works again.

Edited by ArinDarcast
Update

After today's patch my lightsaber and lower body are bugged any idea on how to fix this? or is there update to swtor unleashed planed?

Thx

Same here...

When I originally downloaded this I have having certain chest pieces be invisible (which was irritating but I worked around it by buying chest pieces I could see) but now my entire lower body is invisible and everyone elses, its pretty funny lol.

Here are some screenshots.

My character.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab45/thescaper/Screenshot_2013-06-13_14_42_00_491808_zps8a3fadcc.jpg

People on the fleet.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab45/thescaper/Screenshot_2013-06-13_14_43_52_330205_zps0fbbcd69.jpg

What my settings are.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab45/thescaper/swtorunleashed_zps8cf63365.png

Edited by Jakev-