Tired of Qyzen Fess, next companion?

Tugglife

when you do all the quests and instances on the way you will be more like lvl 26 when you unlock him. he also does little dmg and his healing also feels week, so it was back to qyzen at least for me ;)

am I the only one who feels that we got shafted when if comes to compaions?

God YES. Oyzen is such a boring companion. I mean, he is ok, for a lizard. But there is no real emotional connection, as compared to the interesting chars other classes get.

Qyzan is a great companion. I'm level 32 and I only use him. You really have to give him good armor and weapons and he can tank while you stand back and do your thing. I don't think I would've gotten so far in the game so quickly without him.

God YES. Oyzen is such a boring companion. I mean, he is ok, for a lizard. But there is no real emotional connection, as compared to the interesting chars other classes get.

That's been my take too.

From a story perspective I'd much rather be running with Theran (or anyone else for that matter), but he's useless to me as a I'm healing spec'd sage. Qyzen rocks from a performance stand point ... but he doesn't even speak basic. I just can't connect with him. :p

Even if I could get past the language issue .. his character is so one dimensional. hunt for score. hunt for score. yes yes. hunt for score. ok got it. we're hunting for score. blah blah blah. I'm not a hunter - don't care.

From a story / personal character perspective I'd trade up in a heart beat to another companion option but the only other companion I have would leave me unable to solo as effectively ... so there's no real choice provided at all.

Frustrating.

For Sages, I found Theran to be completely useless. I could see him being good for a shadow.

You are pretty much stuck with Qyzen until you get Zenith which won't be till mid to late thirties. Even then, most Sages still stick with Qyzen because using Zenith requires changing a playstyle you've been doing for 35 levels. It's easy to die with Zenith out if you make a mistake during the fight since you are both squishy high damage characters. That being said, Zenith kills stuff SOOO much faster than Qyzen, so your xp/hour will go up dramatically if you master him.

Hint: Turn off his AE abilities, they suck.

After that you'll get another companion that is just a ranged version of Qyzen and then finally, at like 42-45ish, you'll get a fun companion in Nadia. I'm still not sure if she is more effective than Zenith though.

A couple notes.

Tharan absolutely does not suck. I use him when leveling in high traffic open world pvp areas, as he almost insures a 1 on 1 win. People tend to overlook his near invaluable interrupt on mobs as well. When you're near full health, Tharan tends to spam Holiday on opponents that greatly disrupts them from taking ANY action. He's also insanely easy to gear as cunning gear is widely available.

Zenith has been extremely buffed since beta thank god. His AOE stance is now not useless. He's actually amazingly efficient for killing trash mob packs in combination with force quake if you can keep him geared. That said I still switch back to the tank for any pack harder than a single silver mob.

The biggest tip I can give anyone for leveling is, below 80% health, never heal your companion out of combat unless you need to regen too. Reason being it is always rediculously faster to dismiss them and resummon at full health, which also removes all debuffs btw. Later on, mounting and dismounting does this as well, even faster. ;)

consulars/sorc get their companions the latest. fact is you have only qeyzen and theran until you finish act 1 and then balmorra which means while you have a companion and can deploy 3, you only have 2 to send out.

every other class has 4 companions including the ship droid at this point. it makes levelling up crafting for consulars annoying early on.

proper use of qeyzen:

groups of easy to handle mobs - start by picking one and manually activating his emp blast. qeyzen will run (lolwalk) in and start off with that aoe. then just take everything out. dont bother healing him - dismiss and resummon

hard elites - elites arent hard on their own. double elites turn off his aoe's (one always turns back on auto when he's resummoned, watch for this) and force lift one. voila! you can now handle a mob pack my vanguard with her decked out heal companion has no chance of dealing with

champions - champions are easier than double elite packs. actually the hardest packs are those with one elite and two strong or a pack of 3 strong. only certain champions have ridiculously hard hitting abilities and most can be interrupted. only one that you cant interrupt is the giant droi champoins missile barrage - it's a bugged ability that rarely gives yo a casting bar so you dont notice it with all of the explosions until it's already half killed you or qyzen

qyzen should have 4-5 pieces of moddable armor by 30, 40 at the latest. get off yoru butt and pvp it's easy to get a full set of level 40 moddable gear for yourself and him. if you dont take the time and invest in him, he will be a shoddy tank. keep him in a decent techblade and his damage doesnt suffer either.

you dont need theran. the companion heals are pathetic even at 50 fully geared out.

Edited by Corran