Which comes first? Ops or HM Fps?

I'm kind of confused with which is supposed to come first: Hardmode FP or Ops. I ask this question since HM FPs drop Columi Tokens at the end. Would you use HM FPs to gear up for Ops since Ops drop the same thing or are HM FPs used to gear up for HM Ops?

Some clarification would be appreciated! Thanks :)

The level of difficulty is a bit odd, seeing as Normal Ops are in most cases easier or on par with the HMs.

The way I did it was like this: I geared up in PvP gear, then went on to Ops, and now I do HMs in my spare time.

I think the way BioWare intended it was to have you gear up in normal FPs, then to HM FPs and then on to Ops.

Both at the same time :D

HM FPs and Normal OPs are roughly the same difficulty. If your team is undergeared then you will run in to problems no matter which you choose. Also, with auto-assignment of loot in normal mode ops, HM FPs are the more reliable way to gear up. You can also pick and choose which FP to do based on your team's strengths and weaknesses and gear requirements.

Also, when it comes to OPs, EV is significantly easier than Karaggas but EV will only provide you with half the columi pieces.

I would recommend starting with HM FPs. Choose the easy ones (Tarel V, Esselles, Maelstrom, False Emporer) to start getting gear and getting used to playing your class at endgame. Solo PvE is so easy but beating enrage timers requires much better resource management and rotations so best learn with only 4 of you rather than 8.

I'm the raid leader for my guild and I can honestly say that Normal mode Ops are easier than HM FP's. I suppose some might disagree, but here is my argument:

The margin for error in normal Ops is rather large. If one person is dragging the group down in HM FP's you may not be able to clear, but if someone is undergeared in a normal Ops then they can easily be carried through by stronger/better geared players. Anyone in level 50 blue quality gear(even with some greens) can successfully clear normal mode Ops. Obviously the more gear you have the easier it will be. The other thing to consider is the time it takes to complete a HM FP vs clearing a normal Ops. Normal EV can be cleared rather quickly even by a group of people that havent run them before (with the exception of Soa which is a bit trickier because of the bugs). In one run of Normal Ops you will have 5 chances to receive a columni token from boss drops.(Each boss usually drops 2) I would say that in the same amount of time in HM FP's you will maybe complete 2 FP's and only have a chance at 2 Columni tokens.

The "destined loot" that you encounter in normal mode ops can be a drag, but you will still probably get more gear than HM FP's. This isnt taking into consideration all of the Tionese commendations or the substantial amount of Columni commendations that you get once you turn in the weekly raid quest.

For those that arent familiar "Destined Loot" automatically assigns loot to raid members and it will only drop items that are usable by raid members. Unfortunately, the system isnt smart enough to assign the loot to people that actually need it so when loot drops it can be assigned to someone that already has that same piece. This is what causes the most frustration with "Destined Loot". Even with the wonky loot system I have yet to see anyone clear a normal mode EV and not walk away with some loot.

With all of that said HM FP's are still a great source for gear, but I would not skip running normal Ops to run HM FP's instead. Simply put you have a better chance at gear in Ops. Considering Ops only reset once a week you can always save one or two nights for Ops and do HM FP's the rest of the time. Oh and when you run them, dont forget to pickup the weekly quest first!

Reg Ops are alot easier. EV can be completed with a few geared players and the rest fresh L50's if they are decent players. There will be wipes on SOA but it can be done. A hard mode is really hard for fresh L50's. Heck, a few a bosses in reg Battle of Ilum and False Emp are hard for fresh L50's unless they are really good players.

The auto-loot in 8mans isn't that bad if there are only 2 repeats of the same class in the ops (Not that hard to be honest) I was lucky enough to be the 2nd trooper in my first EV run and got every piece of equipment ;P

The number of each class you have doesn't matter with the Destined Loot system, as the game picks what Ops members will get an item, and then gives them whatever is appropriate for the Class.

You could have a Op of nothing but Sorcerers and Assassins and would always get the useful loot, the only concern would be people getting repeat items week after week.

normal EV 5 bosses:

each boss drops 2 columi, 2 tionese, crystal allows (2-4 I don't remember),

and practially schematics every boss.

HM FPs:

1 tionese for each of the in between bosses.

1 columni piece for the end boss.

-----

if it's your first time doing EV normal,

it can take you from anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on wipes

and yes of course buggs.

HM FPs:

well, you try one and see for yourself, probably just a little less time.

----

to answer your question:

You have 1 week to do EV, so if you have the people to do it, go for it.

Edited by Crawfishies