EQN Landmark next weekend!

Denerio

I'm signed up for Alpha, but I anticipate Landmark to be closer to Minecraft than an MMO for a while. I'm going to use it as a supplement. I like open world stuff like player housing and exploration and PvP in MMOs so this will provide a good side game for me.

And shouldn't this be in off topic?

Edited by Technohic

If that's your 'thing' then uh, yeah, okay. But the question remains, do those games have force powers and lightsabers?

Eventually, they might. Landmark is supposed to have tools eventually to create nearly anything you want. But the likelyhood of reaching that potential is uncertain.

I certainly plan on making a Gnomish steam powered lightsaber! :D

Eventually, they might. Landmark is supposed to have tools eventually to create nearly anything you want. But the likelyhood of reaching that potential is uncertain.

I certainly plan on making a Gnomish steam powered lightsaber! :D

If I understood the Landmark correctly, it works like this: "You build something, and if devs like it, they might implement it in the game".

Doesn't really seem like the all powerful tool that makes everything great, just a way for developers to not have to create so many maps themselves.

If I understood the Landmark correctly, it works like this: "You build something, and if devs like it, they might implement it in the game".

Doesn't really seem like the all powerful tool that makes everything great, just a way for developers to not have to create so many maps themselves.

It's a new idea in an MMO. They are already a +1 on Bioware in that department.

It's a new idea in an MMO. They are already a +1 on Bioware in that department.

Just like a fully voiced individual story for each class and zone is.

What does this have to do with SWTOR?

Absolutely nothing, people get their forums mixed, thinking they are on EQN boards...

Just like a fully voiced individual story for each class and zone is.

That would be the "solo RPG in an MMO environment" part. Voiced cinematics are nothing new. They've been around in RPG's and Adventure games longer than most posters to this forum have been alive.

But I get your point and it's a valid one. There aren't many "new" ideas out there.

I suspect the inclusion of user created content is a direct result of two things...

1) Bethesda products have incorporated it for years and it greatly improves their games and greatly increases their popularity (ie. sales).

2) The backlash against TOR's static and canned game world.

That would be the "solo RPG in an MMO environment" part. Voiced cinematics are nothing new. They've been around in RPG's and Adventure games longer than most posters to this forum have been alive.

But I get your point and it's a valid one. There aren't many "new" ideas out there.

I suspect the inclusion of user created content is a direct result of two things...

1) Bethesda products have incorporated it for years and it greatly improves their games and greatly increases their popularity (ie. sales).

2) The backlash against TOR's static and canned game world.

And the Landmark is just a toolkit software, which also existed for a very long time for innumerable games.

However, I think that static worlds in MMOs are sort of necessity, especially when you want to tell some sort of "proper" story (a story following some logical flow of events) in them. Allowing freeforming of the world (which is not what the Landmark is going to be, btw, it will need to be sanctioned by devs) pretty much kills any predetermined story possibility (for example "go too place X, oops, sorry, you can't, some douchebag build a Dyson sphere of lava around it").

Now, of course, we have things like phasing (which SWTOR does use on a limited scale in story instances), which helps in making the worlds less static, but that comes with problems of its own, as the changes cannot be too drastic to still allow multiplayer cooperation and keeping hidden secrets (still, I would love to see phasing eventually being used in SWTOR on some worlds).

Simply put, It is really hard to reinvent the wheel, but I think that what BW did is much more revolutionary than sandbox elements. For example, many people, including me, have hard time "connecting" with the characters of the game if they are mute (or even invisible for the entire game) after the first Mass Effect (yes, I know, it was not the first game that did it, Deus Ex did it before, but Mass Effect triggered that demand in many more people).

The way I see Landmark is a way to offer visualized ideas to developers. However, we will have to see what will come out of it, as all that created content will probably have to be evaluated and tested for any problems, then broken down and rebuilt anew to squash any potential hidden secrets that might benefit the author. And that, like any testing, takes time...

Looking forward to the alpha. Between that and Wildstar beta I expect swtor servers to go from low to barely on life support. Anyone else heading to EQN Landmark?

Have fun with LameStar. I will stay here and continue kicking butt with a saber or blaster.