XP Gain

Maniacfox

I find it curious that I keep acquiring XP boosters (sitting in my bank), yet my issue with XP is the opposite; I already acquire it too quickly.

I always have to a skip a fair number of missions, or make a decision that I am going to play one planet properly and just skim through the class missions on another to avoid heavily overlevelling. I feel it would be more valuable to get a debuff that reduces the rate at which I gain XP.

Is it just me or do other people have the same issue?

While I disagree vehemently about the "getting xp too fast", you aren't the first person to want the xp gain nerfed.

I don't want that. I like being overpowered for the bosses I face in the single player story. I like feeling like a beast when I cut through my foes. I play RPGs for Avatar Strength, not strategy.

The only way to make players like yourself happy is an xp nerfing item on the cartel market. But I doubt it'd make a lot of money, since only a very vocal minority wants it.

Edited by HitokiriAkins
a word got filtered out

I don't understand this whole "gain xp too quickly" thing.

If you want to do a piece of content, just do it.

There is absolutely nothing that will keep you from completing every single quest on a planet before you move on.

But you don't want to be over-leveled for it so it's more of a challenge?

Easy!

Take off your gear and don't train your new skills.

Nerf yourself.

There's no need to make BioWare do it for you just because you lack the dedication to follow through with it on your own.

I don't understand this whole "gain xp too quickly" thing.

If you want to do a piece of content, just do it.

There is absolutely nothing that will keep you from completing every single quest on a planet before you move on.

But you don't want to be over-leveled for it so it's more of a challenge?

Easy!

Take off your gear and don't train your new skills.

Nerf yourself.

There's no need to make BioWare do it for you just because you lack the dedication to follow through with it on your own.

I enjoy playing through as much PVE content as the game can throw at me, I also enjoy acquiring new equipment and upgrading and improving my character. These are both pretty staple parts of mmos, no?

If you do not understand people wanting to be able to play thie game this way, and still feel challenged by the game, then that's one thing, don't go around telling people it's a lack of dedication on their part that stops them from enjoying the game fully.

FWIW, i'd love to be able to nerf, or even stop xp gain temporarily, I would also love the ability to opt out of double xp weekends. I also realise I'm in a minority in wanting this, so understand it's unlikely to happen, and don't really have a problem with it.

Edited by johnhughthom

I enjoy playing through as much PVE content as the game can throw at me, I also enjoy acquiring new equipment and upgrading and improving my character. These are both pretty staple parts of mmos, no?

If you do not understand people wanting to be able to play thie game this way, and still feel challenged by the game, then that's one thing, don't go around telling people it's a lack of dedication on their part that stops them from enjoying the game fully.

FWIW, i'd love to be able to nerf, or even stop xp gain temporarily, I would also love the ability to opt out of double xp weekends. I also realise I'm in a minority in wanting this, so understand it's unlikely to happen, and don't really have a problem with it.

But see, that's just it... you say you want to upgrade and improve your character but that's exactly at odds with what you're trying to accomplish.

You want to upgrade your character but upgrading your character makes you too powerful for the content you want to experience.

So if you don't upgrade your character (don't train, don't get new gear) you don't get much more powerful and consequently the content remains a challenge.

If you nerfed your XP gain, you wouldn't be able to get new equipment anyway so I really don't see what the difference is.

But see, that's just it... you say you want to upgrade and improve your character but that's exactly at odds with what you're trying to accomplish.

You want to upgrade your character but upgrading your character makes you too powerful for the content you want to experience.

So if you don't upgrade your character (don't train, don't get new gear) you don't get much more powerful and consequently the content remains a challenge.

If you nerfed your XP gain, you wouldn't be able to get new equipment anyway so I really don't see what the difference is.

:confused:

I don't really know how to answer this, all you have done is regurgitated your previous post, without really taking on board the points I made.

How would nerfing xp make a difference to what equpment I would get anyway?

How would nerfing xp make a difference to what equpment I would get anyway?
Because the equipment you get is geared to your level.

If you don't progress in level, you can't get new equipment.

If you want to be perpetually stuck at level 12, you would never be able to get better gear than what was available at level 12 which is contrary to your desire to upgrade your gear and improve your character without gaining XP.

Edited by Rankyn

You can do this already. Its called do the missions anyways even if they are grey.

You can do this already. Its called do the missions anyways even if they are grey.

I am afraid that you are missing the point. He (or she) would like challenging content at the level they are. As well as have a chance at improving gear at the same time.

Grey missions are not challenging and there really isn't a sense of accomplishment that comes from completing them.

Personally I prefer to be 2 -3 levels lower for my class quests and other content. This way I have a risk of dying and I have to pay attention to my rotation, positioning, etc.

It would be nice to be able to decrease the rate of experience up to and including opting out of the double xp experience. Obviously it must not be simple to do or they would have already implemented it.

You could always not use the XP boosts and not get the legacy xp perks for that character if you really want to slow yourself down you know.

I never use an xp boost and have never bought a legacy unlock for xp boost. If you do all of the quests on a planet you will usually be over level for the first half of the next planet.

God forbid if you do the bonus series :)

I find it curious that I keep acquiring XP boosters (sitting in my bank), yet my issue with XP is the opposite; I already acquire it too quickly.

I always have to a skip a fair number of missions, or make a decision that I am going to play one planet properly and just skim through the class missions on another to avoid heavily overlevelling. I feel it would be more valuable to get a debuff that reduces the rate at which I gain XP.

Is it just me or do other people have the same issue?

No. Move along.

I am afraid that you are missing the point. He (or she) would like challenging content at the level they are. As well as have a chance at improving gear at the same time..
But see, that's the problem... it's either/or.

You cannot improve your gear without increasing the level of your character and thus decreasing the challenge of the content.

You have to make a choice between the two.

You can experience the content without the challenge or you can have the challenge without the gear.

The scenario you're trying to describe isn't feasible within the framework of the game.

Unsub and go F2P, seriously, the XP nerf for F2P is spot on in keeping you at par for content.
You know, I hadn't thought of that.

Buy some unlocks for your favorite convenience items off the GTN and then unsub.

That'll drop the XP gain down significantly while still allowing full access to all the quests.

XP Nerfing and or Halting all together is such a horrible idea. I know PvP is just one aspect, but it would be near decimated as people halted their level advancement right before they need their big boy britches, just so they could twink out and feel awesome at pwning noobs in the low level warzones. Wait times for end game warzone and ops queues would increase beyond the already near absurd times that currently exist.

If you must feel "challenged", challenge yourself. Come up with creative and challenging ways to do content. Ranged DPS? Try taking on the next planet using your limited amount of melee abilities. Healer? Try respeccing to Tank or DPS and switching your companion for the next planet? While we're at it, do the next planet without a companion at all. Feel too powerful? Try out that crazy new build idea you had at some point but decided to to the "proper" route.

An xp reducing item in the CC would be an option, but as others have said, it probably won't happen because it won't bank much. *Most* players don't want to be under leveled and challenged... that's why the boosts are there to begin with. Players like progression. Players like power. Players want to continue forward without worrying about side content. Players have a lot of reasons for liking XP and not many reasons for disliking it.

But see, that's the problem... it's either/or.

You cannot improve your gear without increasing the level of your character and thus decreasing the challenge of the content.

You have to make a choice between the two.

You can experience the content without the challenge or you can have the challenge without the gear.

The scenario you're trying to describe isn't feasible within the framework of the game.

Which is entirely the point of the thread, bringing a new mechanic into the game that means it is no longer an either/or. An item to stop or slow xp would do exactly that, though I do understand the problems that would bring in PVP.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to argue that Bioware should implement such a gameplay device, I can accept there wouldn't be the market for it amongst players to make it worthwhile, I was simply trying to explain the mindset behind wanting such a device.

I have considered unsubbing, but it is too much hassle for what is, at worst, a minor annoyance to me.

If planets are designed for a certain level, it should be possible to play them at this level. But it's not.

People wanting to level up faster do it easily running all missions and bonus (and flashpoints, warzone) and are helped with the xp boosts for more.

People wanting to match the content's level have not such an option. They have to skip content, become free to play, not join any guild and avoid playing during the double XP week ends. This is not satisfying.

Edited by Nkya