Marauder PVP Question

Cjirucha

Hey guys, I play a carnage specced marauder for pvp. I haven't been playing the class for a very long time but I believe I'm starting to get the hang of the tricks of our trade. Now my question has to do with damage in unranked 55 warzones. My average damage per wz seems to be around the mid 300k area. On voidstar and other longer wzs it's usually anywhere from high 400k to low 600k. This seems to be on the low end to me but my question is- Is this normal for a burst melee spec? Or (to more experienced players out there) does this indicate a glaring problem with my playstyle? Just for background, I have full obroan pvp gear (which I am working on min/maxing) with 4 or 5 overkill augments (mostly blue). I think I also tend to play more objectively than some DPS (ex. I go straight for objective rather than force charging to nearest enemy etc.) Any advice/tips you guys could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I play a carnage specced marauder for pvp. I haven't been playing the class for a very long time but I believe I'm starting to get the hang of the tricks of our trade. Now my question has to do with damage in unranked 55 warzones. My average damage per wz seems to be around the mid 300k area. On voidstar and other longer wzs it's usually anywhere from high 400k to low 600k. This seems to be on the low end to me but my question is- Is this normal for a burst melee spec? Or (to more experienced players out there) does this indicate a glaring problem with my playstyle? Just for background, I have full obroan pvp gear (which I am working on min/maxing) with 4 or 5 overkill augments (mostly blue). I think I also tend to play more objectively than some DPS (ex. I go straight for objective rather than force charging to nearest enemy etc.) Any advice/tips you guys could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Honestly DPS is overrated if you're playing the objective. What pisses me off is in matches like huttball players playing death match to pad their stats and not playing the objective. I get from anywhere from 300k on up depending on the map. Voidstar seems to be where I get the highest DPS since it's a never ending battle throughout the scenerio. I've hit upwards of 1mill on Voidstar and Aldrean before. But in those cases both sides had good healers and neither team died very much. So again it really depends on the scenario. As long as you're helping the team to win that's really what matters. But what I did notice with my sentinel is more often than not my contribution to the team isn't reflected very well in the final medal count (especially as a combat sent) since we don't do much else besides DPS, so no medals for heals or protection and lots of times we end up near the bottom of the ranks at the end of the match which is kind of deflating after the fact.

Edited by chosonman

objective.. what...

Objectives, what are this madness??? :eek::eek::eek:

A very good way to drastically increase your DPS is to go after busy target and stay near allies...for example, if you see a lonely sage surrounded by 2 ranged on one side and a commando engaged to a guardian on the other side, I'd go after the commando, odds are he will be much less preoccupied with you you than the sage would be if you just jumped on him out of nowhere. If you stay near allies they back you up, and believe it or not, you spend much less time in the respawn.

Also, I don't know if you have the same problem I had a while back, but I used to tunnel vision, even if 5 people were going for me I'd keep whacking the same guy no matter how many defensive CD's he's popped. That's very bad, for DPS and in general, you're being much less effective. So a rule of thumb I have is to switch targets as soon as I see a DCD popped.

Oh and also...despite how squishy and tasty sorcs/sages might look, their Static barrier absorbs around 9k in terms of dmg. And that damage does not count on the scoreboard, so if you find yourself constantly hitting targets with Static Barrier on them, try to watch for those who don't have any, in other words, if you REALLY want a guy dead, but he has a bubble on him, you can wait 2-3 seconds for it to be popped by somebody else and then burst him down. Because in all honesty, a freshly popped bubble absorbs almost an entire procced Blade Storm with precision Slash up, and that's your most consistent burst.

Edited by Tevzz

Killing the opposition is an objective also. To the OP don't be trolled by players saying "I do objectives so my numbers aren't as high as they should be." For example hutt ball most people just follow the ball like lemmings instead of actually controlling mid. Controlling mid is just as important as having the ball, but yet people don't stay mid.

I average, on my level 14 marauder, 400k damage and have done 600k damage. I just recommend going to the training dummies and find out how you can max out your damage output. I know it's lowbies, but I do just as much damage as you with less than half of your talents. Therefore your rotation or situational awareness is not up to par imo. I say just keep practicing and try to improve your numbers.

Finally if you are trying to get into an elite pvp guild or an elite 4v4 team people will only look at numbers. This is because a good player who knows how to put up big numbers usually knows how to play there class. It is much easier to teach someone objectives than to teach someone how to put up big numbers.

Killing the opposition is an objective also. To the OP don't be trolled by players saying "I do objectives so my numbers aren't as high as they should be." For example hutt ball most people just follow the ball like lemmings instead of actually controlling mid. Controlling mid is just as important as having the ball, but yet people don't stay mid.

I average, on my level 14 marauder, 400k damage and have done 600k damage. I just recommend going to the training dummies and find out how you can max out your damage output. I know it's lowbies, but I do just as much damage as you with less than half of your talents. Therefore your rotation or situational awareness is not up to par imo. I say just keep practicing and try to improve your numbers.

Finally if you are trying to get into an elite pvp guild or an elite 4v4 team people will only look at numbers. This is because a good player who knows how to put up big numbers usually knows how to play there class. It is much easier to teach someone objectives than to teach someone how to put up big numbers.

Trolling? Look at your past posts.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7530001#post7530001

This OP loves to make stuff up. He states in one quote that he agrees most premades are bad therefore it shouldn't be problem for him to win if they are bad. He then states pugs don't have the advantage of teamspeak and coordination, but if they are bad does it matter? He states that premades bring in 1 tank 2 healers and 1 dps. I know tons of people who premade and believe me most of them DO NOT BRING IN TWO HEALERS. Then he states that he plays against 3 tanks 3 healers, but honestly I don't ever remember playing in any 8v8's that were 3 tanks 3 healers 2 dps. OP you know why nobody dies. It's because you are not as good as you think. You claim in another post that you average 300k damage and 500k on a good match. Sorry bro 500k damage is NOTHING. I do 500k damage on my level 13 marauder. You need to stop CRYING FOR EVERY LITTLE THING THAT DOESNT GO YOUR WAY.

Who's the troll? 400 to 600? LvL 14? I don't even know how to respond to you. Talk to me when you've played lvl 55 warzones for a year and maybe even some ranked. Then maybe we can relate.

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/character/4611686881817174452

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/character/4611686927783195577

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/character/4611687457560299975

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/character/4611687878536377797

Edited by chosonman

Trolling? Look at your past posts.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7530001#post7530001

Who's the troll? 400 to 600? LvL 14? I don't even know how to respond to you. Talk to me when you've played lvl 55 warzones for a year and maybe even some ranked. Then maybe we can relate.

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/character/4611686881817174452

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/character/4611686927783195577

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/character/4611687457560299975

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/character/4611687878536377797

I do play ranked and I am the highest rated guardian on my server. Please comeback next time. I use to even play ranked on your sever with VICIOUS AND TAKING LIVES. I do more damage than you on my level 14 and yes I do have a level 55 sent which is an alt. My team and solo rating on that guy was 1700+ season 1. Why are you showing me your crap rating. I don't get how I'm trolling? Is it because I used my level 14 mara as an example. Isn't it odd that I do more damage than you on my level 14? :rolleyes:

Edited by sirullrich

I do play ranked and I am the highest rated guardian on my server. Please comeback next time.

No you're not but ok if you like to think you are. Tell me more about your lvl 14 sentinel and how OP it is. I'm in for a good laugh.

No you're not but ok if you like to think you are. Tell me more about your lvl 14 sentinel and how OP it is. I'm in for a good laugh.

Why do you even post your ratings when none of them have over 10 wins and not higher rating than 1270? I've played more rank than you on one guy compared to all of your toons combined. How do you even talk. I'm not saying my marauder is OP what I'm saying 300k is terrible for any 55 dps class and 500k dps for a level 55 is average at best.

Edited by sirullrich

Why do you even post your ratings when none of them have over 10 wins and not higher rating than 1270? I've played more rank than you on one guy compared to all of your toons combined. How do you even talk. I'm not saying my marauder is OP what I'm saying 300k is terrible for any 55 dps class and 500k dps for a level 55 is average at best.

And why do you bother even posting that you play a flavor of the month class with H2F as your only ranked class? Then have the nerve to post replies on Mara threads saying that Mara's are just fine base on your expertise playing your lvl 14 Mara in lowbies.

You think playing FOM takes skill? If it's all skill tell me more... force push? master strike, leap, dispatch, heal to full... oh yea that takes so much skill to play. Try playing a sniper in ranked and lasting more than 2 seconds and then we can talk.

Edited by chosonman

And why do you bother even posting that you play a flavor of the month class with H2F as your only ranked class? Then have the nerve to post replies on Mara threads saying that Mara's are just fine base on your expertise playing your lvl 14 Mara in lowbies.

You think playing FOM takes skill? If it's all skill tell me more... force push? master strike, leap, dispatch, heal to full... oh yea that takes so much skill to play. Try playing a sniper in ranked and lasting more than 2 seconds and then we can talk.

Sorry bro my main is sorc heals which I use to play ranked 8v8's all the time, but since heals and dps were not strong for the ranked meta therefore I went tank. Dont play vengeance, my sentinel wa 1700 season 1 (not that good rating btw), we used a sniper in our 4v4 team season 2. I also heal on my scoundrel in ranked 4's. So again what do you do in PVP? O wait I know you CRY ABOUT EVERYTHING. Don't cry about snipers because they are also REALLLLLLY F***KING STRONG IN ARENAS JUST LIKE MARAS. L2P

Sorry bro my main is sorc heals which I use to play ranked 8v8's all the time, but since heals and dps were not strong for the ranked meta therefore I went tank. Dont play vengeance, my sentinel wa 1700 season 1 (not that good rating btw), we used a sniper in our 4v4 team season 2. I also heal on my scoundrel in ranked 4's. So again what do you do in PVP? O wait I know you CRY ABOUT EVERYTHING. Don't cry about snipers because they are also REALLLLLLY F***KING STRONG IN ARENAS JUST LIKE MARAS. L2P

What? you babble like a girl. Tell me more about you H2F FOM Guardian, actually better yet tell me more about your lowbie lvl 14 Sent again. I'm in for a good laugh.

Edited by chosonman

Well I said mid 300k seems on the low end to me, but saying it's terrible seems a litle harsh:( I'll definitly work on some rotations on the training dummy though and of course keep practicing. Do you play carnage as well on your marauder?

@Tevzz Thanks for the great response man. Come to think of it, I do tend to tunnel vision a target and try to finish him (unless he's getting heals). Definitly something for me to work on.

@Chosonman Also thanks for the response. I'm inclined to agree with you that playing the objecive well does not always reflect in the scoreboard.

Any additional tips or snippets of advice are appreciated.

What? you babble like a girl. Tell me more about you H2F FOM Guardian, actually better yet tell me more about your lowbie lvl 14 Sent again. I'm in for a good laugh.

LoL. It's one thing to get on people, who you claim to play flavor of the month classes, but at least be good at the non flavor of the month classes that you do play. "I don't play flavor of the month classes so I don't put put up good numbers, I play objectives so my numbers arent as good, too many healers and tanks so I can't kill anyone, mara sucks, premades ruin the game, snipers die too fast.... CHOSOMAN. " If that's the case and you have been playing for a long time. What are you good at? You don't play tanks, healers, fotm (guardians and sorcs), you also don't play with other people, you like to claim you play only non fotm classes, therefore you purposely GIMP yourself then you come to the forums to cry about it.

LoL. It's one thing to get on people, who you claim to play flavor of the month classes, but at least be good at the non flavor of the month classes that you do play. "I don't play flavor of the month classes so I don't put put up good numbers, I play objectives so my numbers arent as good, too many healers and tanks so I can't kill anyone, mara sucks, premades ruin the game, snipers die too fast.... CHOSOMAN. " If that's the case and you have been playing for a long time. What are you good at? You don't play tanks, healers, fotm (guardians and sorcs), you also don't play with other people, you like to claim you play only non fotm classes, therefore you purposely GIMP yourself then you come to the forums to cry about it.

Again with the babbling... Please enlighten us with more with your lvl 14 Sentinel wisdom. Also what's the next FOM class you're going to play? I hear Powertech is even simpler to play than guardian, only 4 buttons to worry about instead of 5.

Edited by chosonman

Well I said mid 300k seems on the low end to me, but saying it's terrible seems a litle harsh:( I'll definitly work on some rotations on the training dummy though and of course keep practicing. Do you play carnage as well on your marauder?

@Tevzz Thanks for the great response man. Come to think of it, I do tend to tunnel vision a target and try to finish him (unless he's getting heals). Definitly something for me to work on.

@Chosonman Also thanks for the response. I'm inclined to agree with you that playing the objecive well does not always reflect in the scoreboard.

Any additional tips or snippets of advice are appreciated.

Sorry bro. Didn't mean to come off like a ******* to you OP. This guy Chosonman is not giving you good advice man. If you are playing mara your first job or role is to dps. For example NC and CW it is more important to wipe them off the node so you can cap rather than trying to cap while people are alive. When you have a node it is easier to stop from getting capped if you overwhelm your enemy. Once again damage is needed.

VS if the match goes both rounds without anybody taking any doors it goes by killls and believe me majority of the time the team with the most damage gets the most kills. AH kills are more important than orbs and people still give up mid for orbs. Both huttballs it is important to control mid which means some of your teamates have to just kill the crap out of people where the ball spawns. With all this being said doing damage is an objective otherwise why get medals for damage out put.

Again with the babbling... Please enlighten us with more with your lvl 14 Sentinel wisdom. Also what's the next FOM class you're going to play? I hear Powertech is even simpler to play than guardian, only 4 buttons to worry about instead of 5.

Come back after you have more than 1 win and 1058 rating on your fotm guardian. LOL You have 55's in all of the fotm classses and you suck with all of them. So what class are you good at?

Edited by sirullrich

Come back after you have more than 1 win and 1058 rating on your fotm guardian. LOL You have 55's in all of the fotm classses and you suck with all of them. LOL

55 in FOTM classes? Bro I have 55 in ALL classes. Why don't you level your Sentinel first before opening your mouth again to tell us about how great the class is in PVP.

55 in FOTM classes? Bro I have 55 in ALL classes. Why don't you level your Sentinel first before opening your mouth again to tell us about how great the class is in PVP.

How many times do I have to say it. I have a 55 sent and a level 14 marauder. My level 55 sent is 1700 rating bro. Once again which class are you good at again?

Come back after you have more than 1 win and 1058 rating on your fotm guardian. LOL You have 55's in all of the fotm classses and you suck with all of them. LOL

I'm not saying my marauder is OP what I'm saying 300k is terrible for any 55 dps class and 500k dps for a level 55 is average at best.

I'd take a DPS sin who capped the enemy pylon twice and ended up with 200k dmg over the "leet pro" Carnage Marauder who was whacking on a guarded sorc healer and was completely disregarded by the other team because the healer had a tank that actively taunted the Mara and interceded to the healer but got 800k...score board doesn't mean ****. Especially in games with 3-4 healers on each side where nobody dies and you can rack up numbers faster than you can blink :o

I'd take a DPS sin who capped the enemy pylon twice and ended up with 200k dmg over the "leet pro" Carnage Marauder who was whacking on a guarded sorc healer and was completely disregarded by the other team because the healer had a tank that actively taunted the Mara and interceded to the healer but got 800k...score board doesn't mean ****. Especially in games with 3-4 healers on each side where nobody dies and you can rack up numbers faster than you can blink :o

You are talking about one scenario and majority of the time the sin who tries to sap cap will not do it consistently. If we are talking about AH if you fail to sap cap he is a detriment to the team. Feeding them kills and making mid fight one man short. Basically 7v6 the whole time. CW most sins who try to sap cap think it's a good idea to hold the grass and snow when the distances between the two are furthest apart. Once again making the team fight handicapped at mid. NC does not apply cuz you cannot sap cap in NC. You don't have enough time.

You are talking about one scenario and majority of the time the sin who tries to sap cap will not do it consistently. If we are talking about AH if you fail to sap cap he is a detriment to the team. Feeding them kills and making mid fight one man short. Basically 7v6 the whole time. CW most sins who try to sap cap think it's a good idea to hold the grass and snow when the distances between the two are furthest apart. Once again making the team fight handicapped at mid. NC does not apply cuz you cannot sap cap in NC. You don't have enough time.

Yes, but a DPS whacking on a guarded healer and constantly getting taunted isn't better. I definitely agree for the Civil War Scenario though, Snow & Grass is terrible to hold and this is exactly why even if somebody stealth caps I urge my team to try and get mid, even if we have to lose the enemy team's off node.