Class Changes: Corruption Sorcerer / Seer Consular

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Below you will find the upcoming changes for Corruption and Seer Disciplines coming in 5.3.

These changes will undoubtedly look and feel harsh to players who have been healing on their Sorcerers / Sages for a long time. The healing changes for Sorcerers / Sages pull the Corruption / Seer discipline down to the target HPS. We say the target HPS instead of their target HPS because all three healers have the same target HPS. In future balance patches, the other healers can expect to see changes to their healing capabilities as well to ensure they are in line with the target.

Note: All changes below are currently in development and are subject to change before being released.

Sorcerer

• Reduced the amount of healing done by Dark Heal by 4.86%
  • Increased the base Force cost of Resurgence from 40 to 50 and the amount of healing done by its initial heal by 10.59%, but reduced the amount of healing done by its heal-over-time by 14.29%
  • Reduced the amount of damage absorbed by Static Barrier by 5.3%

Corruption

• Increased the base Force cost of Dark Infusion from 45 to 50 and the amount of healing it does by 3.38%
  • Reduced the amount of healing done by Innervate by 8.74%
  • Reduced the amount of healing done by Revivification by 10%
  • Increased the base Force cost of Roaming Mend from 65 to 70 and reduced the amount of healing it does by 25.22%
  • Force Bending now reduces the activation time of Dark Infusion by 0.25 seconds (down from 0.5 seconds) and the Force cost of Revivification by 20% (down from 30%); all other Force Bending effects remain unchanged
  • Reduced the amount of healing done by Renewal by 14.29%
  • Secrets of the Dark Side no longer increases the healing done by Roaming Mend by 5%, but still reduces its Force cost
  • Reduced the healing done by Sustaining Darkness by 5.3%
  • Twisted Force now makes Innervate channel 10% faster (down from 20%)

Sage

• Reduced the amount of healing done by Benevolence by 4.86%
  • Increased the base Force cost of Rejuvenate from 40 to 50 and the amount of healing done by its initial heal by 10.59%, but reduced the amount of healing done by its heal-over-time by 14.29%
  • Reduced the amount of damage absorbed by Force Armor by 5.3%

Seer

• Increased the base Force cost of Deliverance from 45 to 50 and the amount of healing it does by 3.38%
  • Reduced the amount of healing done by Healing Trance by 8.74%
  • Reduced the amount of healing done by Salvation by 10%
  • Increased the base Force cost of Wandering Mend from 65 to 70 and reduced the amount of healing it does by 25.22%
  • Conveyance now reduces the activation time of Deliverance by 0.25 seconds (down from 0.5 seconds) and the Force cost of Salvation by 20% (down from 30%); all other Conveyance effects remain unchanged
  • Reduced the amount of healing done by Renewal by 14.29%
  • Erudite Mender no longer increases the healing done by Wandering Mend by 5%, but still reduces its Force cost
  • Reduced the healing done by Soothing Protection by 5.3%
  • Force Warden now makes Healing Trance channel 10% faster (down from 20%)

DevNotes: The slight Force cost increases for Resurgence / Rejuvenate and Dark Infusion / Deliverance and the reducing of the cost reduction for Revivification / Salvation provided by Force Bending / Conveyance were necessary to keep Force management from being completely trivial at low levels of Force. These cost increases allowed an anomaly for Dark Infusion / Deliverance and Resurgence / Rejuvenate in that they both saw at least partial increases to their healing output while all other healing abilities saw a decrease.

The changes to Roaming Mend / Wandering Mend remove it from normal single-target healing usage. It still remains a valuable heal when more than one target requires healing, or when combined with Force Bending / Conveyance in single-target healing situations where the target simply will not survive if forced to wait for a heal with an activation time.

The rest of the changes for Corruption Sorcerers / Seer Sages all have one singular goal: wrangling their HPS down to the healing target while maintaining the Corruption / Seer playstyle with which players have become familiar.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not going to stop the whining, but sure why not? Nuking the set from orbit really is the only way to be sure. I'm glad I don't play Seer. Scared to see what happens to Balance. Supposed to be a buff, but who knows what that means to these folks.

This has been a long time coming.

I can see how people might feel upset about these changes simply because they appear to be ground-breaking. Reading numbers such as 10% and 25.22% can have a very disappointing effect on people who main Seer Sages.

However, I agree that a big adjustment was necessary. Force management was often trivial, and Wandering Mend was a "go to" ability for any situation, and not the intended group heal with emergency single target use. With these changes, I hope we can see Corruption Sorcerers/Seer Sages see to play more ressource-conserving and time/plan their heals around situational usage, and not just approach arena/pvp matches as a "master of all trades" kind of deal.

They were simply too versatile with strong healing at this point.

Holy smoking bananas :eek:

I mean this is going to hurt a LOT. However.. this could be very good.

A little afraid these nerfs being so big sorcs would become obsolete though.

Curious to see if you guys have plans for nerfing other healing specs too then. Kinda needs to happen anyway.

Edited by Evolixe

Ehhh, Why on earth are the dps sorc's getting a defensive nerf?!?! I dont understand that at all.

Corruption / Seer ofc, it's needed, but to nerf the dps sorc's defensive's, in the state they are in?? Not to mention no buffs to Lightning / TK..

I am really at a loss for words. I think there is a big disconnect happening between players and dev's. This blows my mind for real...

These changes will undoubtedly look and feel harsh to players who have been healing on their Sorcerers / Sages for a long time.

Local sage healer who's been at it since dawn of time isn't even surprised.

Real game combat was being twisted by the existence of sage output in a way that the other healers were unable to match.

I do get that sorc healing needed a nerf, considering that it was basically the only class that you could take 2 of them into 8 man Nightmare operations. The impression though that I get from the size of these nerfs is that this might be to large especially when looking back into the past at the way that sorc heals have needed to be buffed.

A better approach to changing the sorc healers would probably be to make the nerfs smaller first and then wait to see if they are still over performing. TO compare games this seems more like how the initial balancing was done in Starcraft II, which for those that didn't play the game were done poorly. I do get that there are limited resources to go around, but doing smaller changes allows for better tuning instead of trying to make massive changes and then realizing that you have to go back and either undo the changes or make even more changes because the target was missed.

One thing that I'm sure y'all consider, but wasn't mentioned specifically, is the HPS on one vs multiple allies. I think the current player consensus is that Operatives are far better at healing multiple targets, Merc is best at burst healing a single target, and Sorc was kind of in-between. That's been my experience, at least.

From a PvP perspective, this gets really complicated. As somebody who plays dps in PvP more than anything else, I'm always in favor of nerfing healing. :p I do think that healing is a little too strong, but I also feel that there are a lot of dps players who aren't maximizing their character's potential either. So it's very anecdotal and just opinion, not a lot of quantitative evidence. With proper focus, it seems like Sorc healers, in particular, can be killed pretty easily (without guard). Merc has those great defensives, but their HPS isn't as good as Sorcs, therefore it generally makes more sense to CC them and go for something else.

From an operations perspective, this will probably make things more challenging. I played Merc heals on an HM op team for a bit. I could solo heal EV/KP Veteran Mode with 230 / 240 mixed gear (240 mods, 230/236/240 armorings and enhancements). For other HM ops, I rarely felt like healing output was a problem...at least nothing at fault with the class, just fault with my utilization of what I had to work with. :o With an Operative healer partner, I could quickly burst heal on people while he dropped HoTs and kept a steady average health on everybody, so the combination worked pretty well.

Anyway, I think there is more to consider than merely a target HPS. You have to think about HPS on how many group members? Burst healing vs sustained. Perhaps this is a situation where the healer with less burst should have a higher target HPS, just like a burst DPS spec has a lower target sustained DPS? If Merc heals sustained HPS (single / multi) is on par with Sorc, there would be no reason (that I can think of) to play Sorc heals because Merc defensives and burst healing are so much better.

Edited by teclado

They basically slapped Merc and Commando with a feather but crushed sorc heals with a freakin ton of bricks. I was not expecting that. We will know if they over did it when a single OP or Marauder global sorc heals in arena which is what I am expecting

Yay now all the Sorc specs can be equally trashed XD. Don't worry they'll give us a pity raise of DPS in Madness to "compensate".

tl;dr

We have deleted the corruption tree from the game

May operatives now rule again

2.x hype PogChamp.

Edited by FerkWork