Who won the Cold War? (SWTOR)

Akilus

Eventually the Republic will win, otherwise the Sith Empire would have appeared in the movies. And yes, the Republic on the movies is the same as the Republic here... So there's the answer. Originally the Republic is to win and the Empire falls, but since Bioware is too "creative" they will eventually end the game as Star Wars Galaxies did: having 2 endings according which side got more Warzone victories lolol.

Two year necro?

Impressive... most impressive.

Most impressive is also the fact he claims the Republic seen in the movies is the one seen in the game, which is mostly UNTRUE.

The Galactic Republic was the ruling government of the galaxy that existed for more than 25 thousand years, until the establishment of the first Galactic Empire in 19 BBY. Throughout its existence, the state was commonly known as the Republic. In the post-Republic era and beyond, it was remembered as the Old Republic; it was also rarely known as the First Galactic Republic. At times, the term Old Order was used to describe the Republic.

Two year necro?

Impressive... most impressive.

Why are you here then? I can post on whichever forum I want bro. If it's too old for you then tell devs to close it, otherwise why is it still open?

Edited by AgustinSarro

The Galactic Republic was the ruling government of the galaxy that existed for more than 25 thousand years, until the establishment of the first Galactic Empire in 19 BBY. Throughout its existence, the state was commonly known as the Republic. In the post-Republic era and beyond, it was remembered as the Old Republic; it was also rarely known as the First Galactic Republic. At times, the term Old Order was used to describe the Republic.

I guess you missed the part where Palpatine stated that the Republic had stood for a thousand years(!!!) in one of the prequels and how said misstep was addressed later on, with the Ruusan Reformation.

Why are you here then? I can post on whichever forum I want bro. If it's too old for you then tell devs to close it, otherwise why is it still open?

Unwarranted and / or misinformed necro is against the ToS I believe.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I guess you missed the part where Palpatine stated that the Republic had stood for a thousand years(!!!)

As far as I understand you're justifying what I said.

and how said misstep was addressed later on, with the Ruusan Reformation.

The Reformation was done on the same Republic. That doesn't justify it is another Republic. It's the same but with different ways.

Edited by AgustinSarro

Well the EU hasn't exactly been consistent with how it portrays the scope of the Ruusan Reformation.

Some sources like the Darth Bane trilogy treat it as a set of sweeping reforms, but that the Republic was pretty much just reorganizing its government and disbanding its military. Other sources like the Essential Guides say the Republic had effectively ceased to exist during the Republic Dark Age, and the Reformation was effectively a new Republic being born.

I figure the best approach may be to compare it to real-world France. The current France is the Fifth Republic, so is it the "same" France as existed in late 1792 (the First Republic)? Heck, is it the same France as existed in 1944 (Fourth Republic)?

I'm sure there is a conventional wisdom on the matter, (although I'm not familiar enough with French culture to say which answer that is,) but you'd be able to understand reasonable minds having different answers.

By the same token I'm sure some people in Star Wars' Republic would consider it to have stood for 25,000 years, and others to say 1,000.

Didn't Palpatine say that he did not want the Republic "that stood for A 1000 YEARS" fall apart?

So it could be possible that it is another Republic (like the 5th Republic of France), a possiblity that the Sith won (once).

If The Republic fell, a LOT would be different in the events after this time period. Canon already has it that I believe 100 or so years after The Second Great War, The Galaxy was basically in utter peace. The Republic was happy and perfect and all was well.

If The Empire won, truly won ... well ...

Let's not forget what The Emperor's ultimate plan was: Kill every living thing in The Galaxy. An Imperial Victory, where The Republic falls and The Jedi Order is crushed (or at the VERY least driven into Exile) means the entire Galaxy loses. The Emperor initiates his master plan and no further history happens in the SWU because it simply ceases to exist.

If The Republic fell, a LOT would be different in the events after this time period. Canon already has it that I believe 100 or so years after The Second Great War, The Galaxy was basically in utter peace. The Republic was happy and perfect and all was well.

If The Empire won, truly won ... well ...

Let's not forget what The Emperor's ultimate plan was: Kill every living thing in The Galaxy. An Imperial Victory, where The Republic falls and The Jedi Order is crushed (or at the VERY least driven into Exile) means the entire Galaxy loses. The Emperor initiates his master plan and no further history happens in the SWU because it simply ceases to exist.

The Empire winning does not necessarily equal

The Emperor winning. It seems pretty clear that the Emperor is going to be set up as the Big Bad for both factions since his plan involves killing all the Empire's citizens too. Darth Marr and the Dark Council could still win the war against the Republic after one or both factions take out the Emperor for good. I doubt that this is likely to be what actually happens, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Plus we've seen the Jedi Order bounce back from the Dark Wars purge in KOTOR 2, so its not impossible for them to be driven into Exile for a while but then be back as a significant presence a century or so later.

I guess you missed the part where Palpatine stated that the Republic had stood for a thousand years(!!!) in one of the prequels

R2-D2 sprouted rocket jets in one of the prequels, too. Boy, those sure would have been useful in Dagobah, or on Jabba's Sail Barge...

R2-D2 sprouted rocket jets in one of the prequels, too. Boy, those sure would have been useful in Dagobah, or on Jabba's Sail Barge...

For what is worth, having in mind both he and -C3PO went through a memory wipe, maybe a couple of alterations were made to his chassis as well together with some redundant weaponry.

:cool:

"Brooks Propulsion Devices was shut down by the Galactic Empire following the Clone Wars, bringing an end to their line of rocket boosters. Droids such as R2-D0 and R2-D2 retained their booster systems, though the latter ultimately damaged his booster components, rendering him unable to achieve flight." (Source)
Edited by Essence_of_Light