Focus Fired/Stunned To the Point...

Aluvi

..That it doesn't seem like it's even worth playing anymore. Anyone else feel this way since 1.4? Everything was fine and dandy up until 1.4, now I feel like solo queuing is just silly. Perhaps I'm just having a bad couple of days, but lately it feels like my encounters go:

Charge, Force Crush, stunned. Stunned. CCed. Stunned. CCed some more. Resolve full! 10% hp left! yay!

Undying rage, medpac, smash, die. Repeat.

It just isn't fun lol. I can't understand how there can be THAT many freaking stuns that are off of cooldown THAT much that every pvp encounter that I am in, I am stunlocked for a good 80% of it. I know that the change to resolve was to help overlap on stuns.. but surely, this isn't how pvp is supposed to be?

/shrug maybe I'm just having a bad day, but at this point I'm not sure if I want to continue to PvP, or play swtor at all.

Valor 90 marauder here. I've fiddled with rage before and while it is a definitely fun spec to play, the amount of focus fire you take goes up significantly. The reason most likely stems from the fact that you're literally in everyone's face and trying to get that smash to hit a big group. When I see a few people clustered together, I'm gonna go right into the middle of them trying to get my smash to hit all. Consequently, the 3 in the cluster are going to "target closest target" and focus fire you.

As annihilation, i definitely play more strategically. i look for the low HP targets on the edges of the nodes and pick them off first. I rarely go into a group of players and try to take them all down. Living on the edges of the firefights aren't something that rage players can do because it wastes a smash. I think the sound of the smash also has something to do with it. It's a pretty frightening sound and when you see a big 6k flytext come off you, you're gonna target the guy who did it and kill him before he can do it again. Definitely a lot of getting stunned, popping undying rage every 45 seconds, and getting a smash off before dying, rinse, repeat.

..That it doesn't seem like it's even worth playing anymore. Anyone else feel this way since 1.4?

Yes, me, too. Stun Wars has always been an issue, but after 1.4 I had several warzones in which my char didn't even make it close to the turret/door/hut areas for the whole time. Where is the point if you do not even make it to the objectives. Or even to the direction of the objectives. I finally quit PvP for good. Now I enjoy the PvE-part again. 3rd day without PvP. I feel much less anger and negativity. :)

Valor 90 marauder here. I've fiddled with rage before and while it is a definitely fun spec to play, the amount of focus fire you take goes up significantly. The reason most likely stems from the fact that you're literally in everyone's face and trying to get that smash to hit a big group. When I see a few people clustered together, I'm gonna go right into the middle of them trying to get my smash to hit all. Consequently, the 3 in the cluster are going to "target closest target" and focus fire you.

As annihilation, i definitely play more strategically. i look for the low HP targets on the edges of the nodes and pick them off first. I rarely go into a group of players and try to take them all down. Living on the edges of the firefights aren't something that rage players can do because it wastes a smash. I think the sound of the smash also has something to do with it. It's a pretty frightening sound and when you see a big 6k flytext come off you, you're gonna target the guy who did it and kill him before he can do it again. Definitely a lot of getting stunned, popping undying rage every 45 seconds, and getting a smash off before dying, rinse, repeat.

That's been my experience too.

My Mara is Carnage and I typically play as you play your Anni. Playing my Rage Jugg, it's tempting to dive into a larger crowd to get more smash damage...but yeah, I found myself getting stunned/dying a lot more (Rage Juggs don't even have the defensive cooldowns that Maras do).

Granted, I typically do more total damage on the Rage Jugg but die a lot more. Regardless, I prefer playing my Carnage Mara.

Edited by stuffystuffs

To be honest, I haven't noticed much of a difference on either of my melee toons in regard to CC/Stun frequency since 1.4. It's about the same as it has always been except now the Resolve bar doesn't fill as fast. It's the life of a Melee toon. You are doomed to suffer the CC plague.

Comparatively, playing my Sniper and Vanguard are like playing in heaven. It's amazing how often these classes are just left to pew pew without any interruption or resistance.

funny the mention on stuns....i posted in another thread about what is the new FOTM and said it doesnt matter with all the stuns that fly around.

Resolve is pure BS and does nothing to help. The only way resolve works is if you have a tank guarding yhou and sever healers spam healing you. The game is designed to suck $%^&* and it does that very well.

Like someone already said, it is Stun Wars, not Star Wars.

To me the problem I find with this doesn't come from the resolve system, but from the range" nerfs" that they gave to inquisitor/consular and trooper/BH. Now that their stuns can only be used at 10 meter range(a range where you all strive to be in) it REQUIRES half the ACs, 2 of which were easily killed by a good Mara in most situations(sage/sorc commando/merc), to use their stun on a more defensive scale than previous patches.

Now I don't know about other people, but when I see those 2 sabers of Doom approaching me as a sage healer(especially yours aluvian) would you rather use your stun on him or on some random sorc 25ish meters away?

As for excessive chain stunning: yeah it blows but I for one am not expecting to come out of a 1v2, let alone a 1v3 alive, and chances are if you have multiple people stunning you then you got multiple people attacking you as well

Basically my conclusion after being a few weeks into this patch is that if you don't queue with healers and tanks, it isn't worth queuing.

The heart of the problem is that sorc/sage stuns from bubbles no longer give resolve corresponding to how long they stun for. Combine this with a sorcs ability to slow/kite, and their additional stuns, and sorc healers become basically unkillable by a melee 1 on 1. That's not to say that I don't regularly kill sorcs, but the few that play at the highest levels, I can't even really touch. The issue is that once the bubble stun wars off, the sorc is 30 yards away, has slows on me, and can kite me until they can get another bubble up, at which point once I finally get rid of their bubble, I'm stunned again and have to wait another 5-10 seconds before actually getting in range to hit them again, during which time I am, again, slowed/dotted and the sorc is at 100% hp.

Combine with this the fact that, as others have mentioned, melee classes are much more likely to be the target of stuns because we get within that 10 meter range, while ranged classes typically do not, and you have a ton more stuns coming out to specific classes.

This isn't really a sorc gripe post, but in all honestly I don't see why every other stun that lasts as long as a sorcs bubble fills half your resolve bar, while a sorc bubble fills maybe 1/8th of it. For me, I simply have zero chance of killing a sorc healer before my resolve bar is full. I thought Ops were annoying with their instant spammable 30% hp heals, but at lesat they didnt stunlock me 24/7...

It's the flipside of being the most lethal melee class. When I enter a brawl and see an enemy dps mercenary, powertech, juggernaut & marauder, I'm going for the marauder because he can kill me or one of my allies the fastest.

Atm my kill priority is 1. Any healer. 2. Marauders, as they are lethal and usually amongst the closest targets. 3. Any sniper that can attack me yet isn't so far in the back that attacking him will result in my inevitable death. 4. Any other ranged dps that I can engage without overextending myself.

I assume it's the same for most players.

Every melee class has at least a couple 10m range abilities. Learn to use those at distance to bust the bubble shield before getting in close. Or you could be a vigilance guardian like me, and just laugh at the bubbles.

This has merit in small skirmishes and 1v1 situations, but in large group battles it becomes much more difficult to control and predict. It's also difficult to gauge what ability will break the bubble, since it absorbs quite a lot of damage. My force scream for instance, if it does not crit (which is most of the time), might only do 1.5-2k damage, meaning that i won't break their bubble with this. It also doesn't help at all when I am already on a target, sorc bubble goes up, and I don't have time to step away before it bursts and stuns me.

Even my friends who are sorcs think that it is a little ridiculous. It is a game changer, no question. Sorc bubble stuns rule warzones at the moment.

Once they hybrid Sorc/Sage healers get their bubbles nerfed it'll be back to face melting. Everyone pretty much agrees, including my premade Sorcs, that this hybrid spec is out-of-whack and the stun bubble epidemic needs to be contained.

On the other hand, being focus fired... sucks, guess you went up a well organized group. It's not like Bioware can put a 1 DPS per target rule, so that the 1st DPS on a target will be the only one to hurt it. Now that would be silly. Getting focused fired? Gotta roll with the punches brotha.

It doesn't help that you eventually become well known as an excellent, scary pvper, and people start to hate you with a passion. If I solo queue, I often feel like I become "the objective" of the game, rather than scoring points, capping nodes, or breaking doors. Many times a ball carrier can walk by in a solo queue, and the other team chooses to focus me instead. Republic players specifically seem to hate me. Probably doesn't help that I like to talk smack while I am channeling force choke or am stunned =)

It doesn't help that you eventually become well known as an excellent, scary pvper, and people start to hate you with a passion. If I solo queue, I often feel like I become "the objective" of the game, rather than scoring points, capping nodes, or breaking doors. Many times a ball carrier can walk by in a solo queue, and the other team chooses to focus me instead. Republic players specifically seem to hate me. Probably doesn't help that I like to talk smack while I am channeling force choke or am stunned =)

Yes it does kill your roll doesn't it? lol

You know when they recognize you and someone on their team lets everyone know that you should be the guy to die first, not any of the healers lol.

See you talk smack, I kill my victims with hugs and kisses. Hard to be hated when you're just so lovable.

"Cute and cuddly boys, cute and cuddly."

This has merit in small skirmishes and 1v1 situations, but in large group battles it becomes much more difficult to control and predict. It's also difficult to gauge what ability will break the bubble, since it absorbs quite a lot of damage. My force scream for instance, if it does not crit (which is most of the time), might only do 1.5-2k damage, meaning that i won't break their bubble with this. It also doesn't help at all when I am already on a target, sorc bubble goes up, and I don't have time to step away before it bursts and stuns me.

Even my friends who are sorcs think that it is a little ridiculous. It is a game changer, no question. Sorc bubble stuns rule warzones at the moment.

I'm not sure why, but you can actually break bubble with melee abilities and not get hit in the mez. I've been getting pretty good at it. Essentially you move outwards from 4M to 5M while using something like massacre. It might be the animation, it might be that the ataru proc occurs a tenth of a second or so after the massacre and the bubble/damage doesn't resolve until massacre resolves (it works this way with player death too), but either way with carnage spec I've gotten to the point where I only get bubble mezzed when I'm not the one attacking or when I force charge.

Edit: I haven't been able to duplicate with rage or anni, so it's carnage and massacre if you want to do this. You are on my server I believe, so hit up Demelain if you want a demonstration.

Edited by Ryvirath