So; what will be the PvPers homes?

Technohic

Stop, really just stop. This whole "lets make one super ranked server" idea needs to end. That was tried back when character xfers where first introduced, and it worked - for all of two months, after which the server was no better than before, but all the other server's pvp were wiped out.

Stop what lol? Trying to organize players? Are you scared he's going to force you to move where HE wants? Relax Zoom...you've been off a lot lately.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most East coast players I've talked to are going to Shadowlands. Harbinger was already fine on population. I know JC and EH have decent populations as well. Just keep in mind populations are going to start swinging wildly with these transfers. I would suggest moving 1 or 2 toons now and waiting a week or two to see how things pan out before moving more.

Stop what lol? Trying to organize players? Are you scared he's going to force you to move where HE wants? Relax Zoom...you've been off a lot lately.

I wasn't talking to him or anyone specifically. But it's foolish and naïve to think that bringing all the teams under one server will do anything other than kill of ranked faster.

There are not enough teams in the game as a whole to make a "super ranked server" work. The only way ranked can work is if there is so many teams that any given team will spent equal amount of matches fights teams better than them, teams worse than them, and teams equal to them.

If that quantity is not met, then in it's place we get a near absolute pecking order. Once the pecking order is established the teams burn out one by one starting from the bottom of the pecking order and working up. Happens every single time.

Currently every server has it's own pecking order with it's own top few teams. Moving all those teams together will just cause a new pecking order to arise, where the same burnout will occur. Except it came at the cost of total decimation of all the other server's PvP.

SWTOR doesn't have the teams, period. Trying to make a super ranked server is just mutilating a body that is already dead.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Zoom_VI, you realize there's also Solo Ranked right? Which, is WAY more popular than Group Ranked. If 500 players move to a mega-server and 100-200 players are in Solo Ranked Q, Elo works amazing. Edited by revcrisis

I wasn't talking to him or anyone specifically. But it's foolish and naïve to think that bringing all the teams under one server will do anything other than kill of ranked faster.

There are not enough teams in the game as a whole to make a "super ranked server" work. The only way ranked can work is if there is so many teams that any given team will spent equal amount of matches fights teams better than them, teams worse than them, and teams equal to them.

If that quantity is not met, then in it's place we get a near absolute pecking order. Once the pecking order is established the teams burn out one by one starting from the bottom of the pecking order and working up. Happens every single time.

Currently every server has it's own pecking order with it's own top few teams. Moving all those teams together will just cause a new pecking order to arise, where the same burnout will occur. Except it came at the cost of total decimation of all the other server's PvP.

SWTOR doesn't have the teams, period. Trying to make a super ranked server is just mutilating a body that is already dead.

Ranked is doomed to failure either way...it has been from day-1. If they can make it work for 10-days, 30-day or whatever, more power to em.

Zoom_VI, you realize there's also Solo Ranked right? Which, is WAY more popular than Group Ranked. If 500 players move to a mega-server and 100-200 players are in Solo Ranked Q, Elo works amazing.

The problem is, that's a really big if, and if you are wrong this time like last time, it's the death of PvP in this game unless a whole bunch of new players come in on other servers.

I don't buy it being the death of PvP from the population moving to a couple of more concentrated servers. If you think that is what happened before, you have a different view of history than I. So much hyperbole either way.

Bottom line is, its not all about ranked. I want fast pops in regs as well, and more that comes with a larger population. Like not facing the same enemies over and over with the same teammates over and over. Without that, my hyperbole says that PvP gets killed much quicker than trying to organize the ranked community who's egos might get shattered if they turn out to not be as good as they think they are outside of their own little pond.

Harden up you princess's that are complaining about a 50ms increase, some of us due to location have to play this game with around 200ms....

So there for I think your all being a tad precious crying over spilt milk.

Zoom_VI, you realize there's also Solo Ranked right? Which, is WAY more popular than Group Ranked. If 500 players move to a mega-server and 100-200 players are in Solo Ranked Q, Elo works amazing.

TANGENT: I think BW should provide separate group ranked incentives to encourage more group ranked play.

Isn't the server for Harbinger in Austin? I know I live in Texas and have a ridiculously good connection, like 22ms

Everyone should just move to Harbinger :)

I'm fairly certain that the west coast servers are in California somewhere. I know the east coast servers are in North Carolina.

This reduced server tranfer cost thing is horrible. all it did was to further degrade the pvp servers. Bw should have just merged thepvp servers. Pvpr's dont want to join pve servers they HAVE to join pve servers because the wz que is reliant on individual server pop. by not offering cross-server ques or a combining of the pvp servers into one they have all but gut-shot the pvp servers.